Famous Photographers Pose with Their Most Iconic Images

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Steve McCurry

Steve McCurry

When we gaze upon an iconic (or even just a really good) photograph, it’s difficult to think about the work or the passion behind it – we are seeing a documented scene or a crafted image and–unless you are a photographer–most people don’t wonder about the individual who was behind the camera. Sure, the majority of the populace will automatically recognize the photo of the Afghan Girl that was on the cover of National Geographic, but if you said the name “Steve McCurry” would the everyday person have any idea who you were talking about?

Photographer Tim Mantoani is setting out to change this with an ambitious project: He is photographing well known photographers with their most iconic, famous, or favorite photographs. He has collected 150 of these riveting portraits in a recent book – Behind Photographs: Archiving Photographic Legends.
Not only is he contacting and documenting these famous photographers, but he is also challenging his own photographical prowess by shooting on the legendary 20×24 Polaroid camera. These cameras are practically extinct (2 in existence), and the film goes for about $200 dollars a pop – per FRAME.

Click through the gallery tabs above to see a selection of this work.

42 Responses to Famous Photographers Pose with Their Most Iconic Images

1. Andrew Vanasse February 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

I’ve had the opportunity to work for Tim. The man’s awesome! I was also had the privilege of being taught by Greg Heisler, so this project is one of my favorites. I’m glad it’s getting exposure.

2. Ryan Hodges February 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

This is truly incredible. Makes me feel for these photographs even more.

3. Randell John February 7, 2012 at 2:10 pm #

A great set of portraits, really nice to see the photographer pictured with their work, but I hate the grungy frames – Really distracting. The portraits are good enough to stand on their own and just don’t need all that fuzz.

• RobyFabro February 7, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

The photographs are 20×24 Polaroids, and the grungy frames are an intrinsic part of it, that’s what you get when you peel the paper off. Nice to see there are people who can afford $200 per click!

4. David G. February 7, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

I like that portrait 4.

5. Jon Galas February 7, 2012 at 5:55 pm #

Thanks for Sharing Sir Chase (:
    Why no Chase Jarvis? :D

6. Jim February 7, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

Steve McCurry is hard to beat, the Afgan Girl gained wide acclaim, but he has much better images than that one.

7. Nasir Hamid February 7, 2012 at 11:10 pm #

I saw this on kick-starter last year, did the book ever get produced? What a fantastic project and one I see as a love letter to film photographers. Notice the portraits were not shot on digital? Where will we be in 40 years from now when we can’t read the RAW files that are being created today because they’re in an obsolete ‘old’ format? Very sad.

8. Jon DeVaul February 8, 2012 at 7:50 am #

Chase, thanks for posting this…truly inspiring!

9. Dave K. February 8, 2012 at 8:08 am #

What a great project. Steve McCurry’s iconic photo was so haunting on the cover of National Geographic. Will never forget it.

10. Photographyego February 8, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Some interesting artists and their work. Thanks Kurt Cobain for me.

11. Wes Shelley February 9, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

Mark Seliger’s portraits are incredible! I hadn’t ever checked his stuff out but man- you’ve got to. Some of the best celebrity portraiture I’ve seen.

12. Mathieu Wauters February 10, 2012 at 2:22 am #

Great images, great project. Thanks for posting this, Chase!

13. Frank Meo February 10, 2012 at 11:21 am #

The book is wonderful. Every photographer should have it as their daily inspiration! As you flip the pages your eyes grow wider as you realize that Tim came up with a great idea and had the savvy to produce it. The book also speaks to the production and tenacity of realizing an idea. Nice job Tim!

14. Halfrack February 10, 2012 at 10:21 pm #

I ordered a copy a few days ago. http://www.mantoani.com – he has a few different options for purchasing there.

15. Iggy February 18, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

I have this book, it’s incredible. Everyone should have it just for the quality of the book itself.

16. Deon Trad March 12, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

I got everything you plan, thanks regarding swing up. Woh I’m gladsome to be able to perceive this amazing site through yahoo. Thanks Pertaining to Share Khmer Karaoke Superstars .

17. superman tshirts March 12, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

I have really noticed that credit score improvement activity has to be conducted with tactics. If not, you will probably find yourself causing harm to your rank. In order to succeed in fixing your credit rating you have to ascertain that from this minute you pay your monthly costs promptly in advance of their appointed date. It really is significant because by certainly not accomplishing that area, all other activities that you will decide on to improve your credit rating will not be powerful. Thanks for expressing your ideas.

18. Alva Wasner March 14, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

Hello I simply love your current lovely website many thanks and please adhere to it

19. Oświetlenie led - rewolucja branży March 15, 2012 at 10:12 am #

An fascinating word will be couturier observe. I guess that you should create much on this theme, it is probably not a bias refer nevertheless mostly group aren’t sufficiency in order to verbalize about much topics. To the following. Cheers just like your Khmer Karaoke Superstars » Somnangblogs.

20. Caryn Heusner March 21, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

There are some interesting cut-off dates on this article however I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There’s some validity but I’ll take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we wish extra! Added to FeedBurner as well

21. rexmariposa July 14, 2012 at 2:36 am #

I like yours photos and vedios

22. Famous Photographer July 19, 2012 at 7:52 am #

I was greatly inspire by the works of these famous photographers! Thanks for the share!

23. Bruce Allinson August 23, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

What a great project I love the concept and believe you are right only other photographers know who the talent is behind these famous photographs but then can we take it one step further because the likes of that iconic Mother Teresa shot would not be iconic without the talented Larry Bartlet RIP working in the daily telegraph photo lab at the time. Maybe that could be the next project ;)

24. Andrew Sheppard August 23, 2012 at 11:58 pm #

Don’t care much for the Gov. false flag one.

25. ComClaim_UrQuote October 17, 2012 at 7:37 am #

Love your work.. its the little details that make the biggest difference.
    Your work speaks to an intimate hidden part of me. Following you on Twitter,
    keep shooting the beauty

Regards,

26. Gaynelle Kassman October 25, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

Don’t waste your time defending yourself without having full knowledge about the law. Call my lawyer today!

27. omega bmj390b juicer November 3, 2012 at 8:27 am #

Keep posting this information as I use the same techniques and this has helped me.

28. Tim Mantoani November 27, 2012 at 11:05 am #

Chase: Thanks for the post and helping to share this project!

29. Ginger Grismer December 11, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

Hi there, I discovered your web site via Google whilst looking for a similar subject, your web site got here up, it appears great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

30. Antone Welling December 12, 2012 at 11:07 pm #

Thanks so much for giving everyone an extremely terrific opportunity to check tips from this website. It really is very ideal and packed with amusement for me and my office acquaintances to search your website not less than three times in 7 days to learn the newest items you have got. And of course, I’m just usually astounded with the effective points you serve. Selected 2 points on this page are definitely the most suitable we have ever had.

31. Nancy Young December 25, 2012 at 5:48 am #

This is really incredble post! Thank you! :) I’d like to share with you one more related article about 25 famous photographers that share their photos and stories behind them: http://photodoto.com/25-famous-photographers-share-favorite-shots-stories-behind-them/ Feel free to check it out ;)

32. Sharolyn Anselmo February 16, 2013 at 7:25 am #

TOSHIBA service center in High Court Bulding

33. voip February 25, 2013 at 5:48 pm #

I like the valuable info you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I’m quite sure I will learn plenty of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

34. http://bigle.e-bz.pl February 28, 2013 at 5:08 pm #

I actually wanted to post a simple word so as to express gratitude to you for all the nice information you are placing at this website. My time intensive internet lookup has at the end of the day been paid with extremely good suggestions to share with my close friends. I would suppose that most of us website visitors actually are truly fortunate to live in a really good network with very many perfect individuals with very helpful suggestions. I feel rather happy to have encountered the web page and look forward to really more exciting moments reading here. Thanks a lot once again for all the details.

35. kliknij March 11, 2013 at 5:26 am #

queen somebody to love sheet music .pdf

36. David Wai March 19, 2013 at 8:11 am #

Chase, why are you not on this list?! If you were, what picture would you choose?

37. Jamila Katzner June 18, 2013 at 10:47 am #

Great website. Plenty of helpful information here. I’m sending it to several buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thanks in your sweat!

38. Yevgen Romanenko January 19, 2014 at 6:32 am #

Epic photos!

1. Famous Photographers Pose with Their Most Iconic Images | Chase Jarvis Blog » Striking Images - February 7, 2012

[...] Famous Photographers Pose with Their Most Iconic Images | Chase Jarvis Blog. [...]

2. [Foto] Fotografi cu fotografii celebre ‹ BALOIANU | VISUALS - February 8, 2012

[...] dat peste un proiect foto interesant, pe blogului lui Chase Jarvis, cu portretele unor fotografi celebri, tinand in mana cate o fotografie facuta de fiecare, si care [...]

3. Famous Photographers Pose with Their Most Iconic Images | Focht Creative - February 8, 2012

[...] All images below are from Chase Jarvis’ blog. See all these images and more HERE! [...]