As Cold As Ice: Suffering & Beauty in Frozen Europe

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Arno Balzarini/Keystone/Associated Press

In Seattle, we’re enjoying some pretty balmy weather (for February). But I’m headed to Europe this week and I’m well aware that hundreds of thousands of people are suffering through a bone-chilling freeze–with temperatures dropping waaaay below normal. Amid mountains of snow and icicles as long as my arm, people are panicking and trying to help each other.

And some people are photographing.

I’ve shot in temps so cold that my film (yes film!) snapped and cracked when my camera would attempt to wind it… Seems like Eastern Europe is in that sort of mode right now. Times of great suffering and pain are also often times when some of the most touching, haunting, and remarkable art is made. Click thru this handful of frozen images via Ukraine, Serbia, Bulgaria and beyond by clicking thru the gallery tabs above. Just scratched the surface grabbing these off news services, etc. But if anyone has/knows other deep freeze images – particularly arty ones- please share a link below. Love to see them.

Very god site you have here but I was curious if you knew off any message boards that cover the same topics discussed in this article? I’d enjoy to take part in neighborhood where I could get replies utilizing knowledgeable individuals who reveal a similar curiosity. Please let me know if you have any recommendations. Thank you a good deal!

I loved the outstanding posting.

Jolene Ahlin says:

Very interesting information!Perfect just what I was looking for! If you have more time, please visit my site: http://tintucnoithat24h.blogspot.com

Very nice design and wonderful content material material , nothing else we want : D.

merveilleuse article, merci beaucoup.

I’m still learning from you, as I’m making my way to the top as well. I definitely liked reading everything that is written on your website.Keep the posts coming. I liked it!

safe.mn says:

I used too bee recommendded this website by mean oof myy cousin.
I am no longer certain wheyher this submit iis written through hiim ass novody elwe
realize such detailed approxmately my difficulty.

You aree wonderful! Thanks!

Carmella says:

Nicee answewr back in return of this qiery with irm arguments and describing everything
abkut that.

Jacob says:

I hardlly creatye responses, buut i did some searching and wound uup here Suffering and Beauty in Frozen Europe by Chase Jaris |
Chase Jarvgis Blog. And I actuazlly doo hsve 2 questgions forr
you iff it’s allright. Is iit just mme or does itt lkok as iff luke a few off thesee responses look
like tjey are left by brain deaqd people?
:-P And, if you aree posting on other sites, I wouhld like to follow everythiong
neew you have too post. Couhld yoou make a lis of thee
complete urlks off your communal sites like your twitter feed,
Facebook page orr linkedin profile?

incasso says:

Wij zijn 3 jaar klant geweest bij Juresta Nederland bv.
Wij hebben veel klachten over Juresta, ze werpen veel hindernissen op als ze moeten incasseren. Juresta kwam meestal bij ons zeuren dat het een niet haalbare incasso was en dat wij Juresta moesten betalen. Als we dan toch wilden doorzetten lieten ze de incasso zaak versloffen. Een ander probleem was dat Juresta wil dat voordat ze
iets aan hun klant uitkeren dat die klant allemaal fax formulieren verstuurt.
En ze lieten het ons niet weten als er geld op de rekening bij Juresta binnenkwam.
Wij adviseren iedereen een ander incassobureau te zoeken,
wij zijn nu bij een ander bureau zeer tevreden.

chattare says:

Merely wanna tell that this is very beneficial , Thanks for taking your time to write this.

Braveran says:

I’m glad to become a visitor in this pure web site, regards for this rare info!

So happy I found this!, I love reading about nutrition. Loved the tip riley just made. Its so difficult to find the right product for me. God knows I’ve tried! I’ve been looking now for 3 weeks! LOL Just want to let you all know I will make my goal one way or another. I promise you that! Wish me luck! :)

Realize requirements other jewels deciding on a jewelry choose.There can be some special different kinds of ,visit homepage,pebbles: bogus, man made along with imitation. tiffany jewellery they are both particular jewels, and yet bogus is actually plastic material colorful to seek much like the the real guy. Healthy boulders are found below the ground and artificial gemstones will be cultivated in a very research laboratory.Obtain a particularly close look along at the element that suits you, next use it beside different parts you are considering. Be careful of strategies that will various traders make use of carryout a diamond search much better.

Have you ever thought about creating an e-book or guest authoring on other blogs? I have a blog based upon on the same information you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my visitors would value your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me an email.

My dream retirement is to hardly ever really need to deal using the cold of winter or heat of summer. An A-Frame in Vermont along with a cottage by the sea near Savannah.

mua qua tang says:

Fantastic goods from you, man. I’ve have in mind your stuff prior to and you are simply too great. I actually like what you have bought here, certainly like what you are stating and the way by which you are saying it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to stay it wise. I can not wait to read much more from you. That is actually a wonderful web site.

I’m really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays..

Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people think about worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

adres says:

top funny video game quotes

That is an amazing abstract, I set up your weblog page searching used for a correlated area under discussion substance and got here now. I might not see a lot additional data, so it was clear to discover this internetsite.

Really Good Job…. You Helping People A lot.

Vaughn Erven says:

Always good to find something new and interesting to learn from. Great website you’ve got here.

It is one thing to fall in love, another to be in love and still another to stay in love. Love grows and deepens if we allow it.

I really enjoyed reading your thoughts in this article. I think your material is of great quality and it’s engaging and smart. You’re really good.

klik says:

Thanks so much for providing individuals with remarkably nice opportunity to read from this blog. It’s usually very terrific and also jam-packed with a lot of fun for me and my office colleagues to search your blog at minimum three times weekly to find out the new things you have. And definitely, I’m so always happy with all the magnificent tips you give. Selected 3 tips in this post are easily the most suitable we have ever had.

I would like to express some appreciation to this writer just for rescuing me from such a challenge. As a result of seeking out by means of the internet and finding techniques that were not beneficial, I was thinking my entire life was over. Being alive without the approaches towards the difficulties you’ve sorted out through this posting is a serious case, as well as the kind that would have badly damaged my career if I had not encountered your website. Your know-how and kindness in taking care of lots of issues was excellent. I’m not certain what I would’ve done if I hadn’t come upon such a step like this. I’m able to at this time appear ahead to my future. Thanks for your time so considerably for this skilled and effective help. I will not hesitate to endorse your web sites to any individual who ought to get care on this issue.

Thanks for your tips. One thing I’ve noticed is the fact that banks plus financial institutions have in mind the spending behavior of consumers as well as understand that plenty of people max out their credit cards around the holiday seasons. They correctly take advantage of this specific fact and begin flooding ones inbox plus snail-mail box along with hundreds of no-interest APR credit cards offers right after the holiday season comes to an end. Knowing that in case you are like 98% in the American general public, you’ll hop at the possiblity to consolidate card debt and switch balances towards 0 interest rate credit cards.

Zuma says:

Wow cele mai tari jocuri cu zuma le gasiti la noi pe website, imi place acest articol , probabil o sa revin sa il mai citesc

Berry Piela says:

My husband and i were very joyful Chris could do his researching by way of the precious recommendations he came across through the web site. It is now and again perplexing to just always be making a gift of thoughts which often some others have been making money from. And we all discover we need the blog owner to be grateful to for that. The type of explanations you’ve made, the straightforward web site navigation, the friendships your site aid to instill – it’s everything awesome, and it’s really letting our son in addition to the family reason why the concept is pleasurable, which is certainly especially vital. Thanks for the whole thing!

I have been reading out a number of your articles and i can claim fairly nice products. I will really bookmark your site.

hazard says:

No cash ? It\’s go here, here you have the option to get free money for you.

We’ve certainly had a cold spell and you captured it really well. I’m pleased to say it is back to sensible levels now which makes photography a lot more comfortable, if a little less interesting :)

But, there is a beauty in everything…

one interesting idea was born from this excessive snow, and it was turned into art: snow sculptures:

Quick panorama from yesterdays photo walk in Osijek, Croatia.

Warm regards,
Boris

RobyFabro says:

Love looking at these beautiful photos, not as much been there in the cold though!

zkurdija says:

Here is partly frozen see in Croatia, picture is by my mother tooken.

Cheers!

Traian says:

I’ll call you on those photos and raise you 3 meters (about 10 feet) of snow in some villages in Romania:

Tim says:

It’ s pretty cold in Hamburg/Germany too.

There the people can walk on the “Außenalster”.

Chris says:

Fairly iced up in Northern England at the moment but not letting that affect the stiff upper lip: http://brokenclockphotographic.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/kindersuitdiag.jpg

:D

In case any of you haven’t already seen, Infocus published a gallery last week with some really great shots.

Seedeich says:

It’s just a bit cold in Denmark. Nothing really to worry about.
Ships are still mooring at Vejle harbour
and the fjord is completely frozen

We have almost -20° here in Southern Germany. Took some photos of a frozen waterfall today in Urach, Germany and published them on my blog:

Xeph Grand says:

Its 21 degrees most days here in Gran Canaria, the only place in Europe with sunshine and warmth. Glad I jumped ship and moved here 3 months ago when my spidey senses said GO!! I wouldnt want to be in a country that freezes over should there be a global economic meltdown :/
Frozen Margarita anyone?

Ian says:

It certainly is a little chilly in Europe. I’m just back in Paris after spending a little time in the French Alps. Started a new photo project whilst I was down there. Trying to get as far away from my usual client work as possible so am shooting film. No ‘film snappage’ as yet though so perhaps it’s not THAT cold :-)

A few pics from the first couple of rolls here – http://www.ianholmes.net/journal/2012/2/2/chasing-winter-film-images.html

Heading down to the Chamonix area in a week or so. Will be there for the majority of winter so hope to have a nice little series by the end of it.

Frédéric says:

Hi !

I did some in Nyon, (Geneva Lake – Switzerland)

In Geneva, some more ice on auto, ship, … About 30 ship flow in water due to too much ice on them. But the lake is not yet frozen !

FKL

A frozen pic from Stockholm Sweden.
Riding the bike to work – not. :-)

James says:

Is this a joke? -11, -20 is considered bone chilling cold? this is the first year I can remember where the average temperature wasn’t under -40 celcius in January, and we’ve never closed our schools or businesses once in 50 years. Put on your jackets, mitts, hats, scarfs, and boots, and go outside..if you’re smart then you’ll be fine.

Michelle, just went to your blog. I think you should post the images of “Yolka” :) Those are the awesome!

Chris Wray says:

Only -9 here in Cambridge UK, today and the landscapes were just stunning first thing. Love those Russian frozen sea pics. Now that really is cold !!

Raman Singh says:

UK is Freezing dot com!!!

wanna go out and shoot, last the i wanna do is fall over and break… a lens.. bones can heal, cameras cant. lol.

chase you ‘poping’ by england by any chance?… :D or is it paris?.

Derek says:

He Chase!

Drop me a line if you pass thru Amsterdam on your way back. Would love to meet and hang with you!
Great shot btw!
Grtz!

Michelle says:

It has been from -13c to -30c for the past two weeks now in Ukraine! Here is a link to a photo took of the ice on the inside of my flat’s window. http://Www.semkee.blogspot.com/2012/01/-19c-and-getting-lower.html. I am reluctant to take my camera outside as I don’t want to damage it!

Jacinda Davis says:

That’s a beautiful collection of images. We have -25F wind chills here in Minnesota this morning, but frustratingly enough there isn’t any snow or ice. Brown grass and sunshine doesn’t have the same visual impact.

Wayne says:

It’s cold here in Prague, but that’s not stopping me from going out. It’s the perfect time to capture scenes that are rarely seen during the rest of the year.

Anonymous says:

Post something, wish I could be home… Here in Scotland its all right..

Vaclav says:

Thanks Vaclav

Yeah, we’re freezing here.
Ukraine had over 135 freeze to death in the past 2 weeks.
I wanna go out & shoot, but I don’t wanna ruin my camera. Freaking -15F…

Chase says:

I’ve shot in weather so cold that film cracked and shattered. Seems like this season is approaching that style of photography all over eastern europe.

Lourens Smak says:

Check it out, beauty of the frozen Black Sea: http://2leep.com/bar.php?url=http://2leep.com/news/867516/0/more/

Chase says:

whoa. that’s stunning. just slotted that up into the gallery with credit back to english russia. thanks for the tip!

Nick Seymour says:

Its insane here atm – its been -11 in southern England early this morning – that is weirdly cold for here – sure you’ll get some great shots

Milan says:

How about -27 in Serbia? :)

Nick Seymour says:

wow thats really cold! -11 for here though is so low (but obv nothing compared to Serbia!)