Talent Imitates, Genius Steals: chasejarvisLIVE REMIX episode with MIKE RELM [coming Tues Feb 7]

mike relm on chase jarvis via SF Weekly

Mike Relm will move you. Photo: SF Weekly.

UPDATE: if you’re reading this post now…The no “Talent Imitates, Genius Steals – REMIX” edition of #cjLIVE with one of the world’s leading multimedia (audio + video) DJ’s Mike Relm is TODAY 11:00 Seattle Time, 2pm NYC, 19:00 London! Tune in here to the live page to unlock your creative mojo and realize that inspiration is all around you.
———
There’s a saying that you should understand. It’s “TALENT IMITATES. GENIUS STEALS.”

Now before your undies get in a wad, I’m not saying steal work and pretend it’s you’re own. More deeply, I’m asking a question. Do you want to understand and set free your most creative work? Then pay attention here. And mark my words: the REMIX is the single most important artistic concept of our time [Go ahead and read that again. And read all the way to the bottom if you want to win a Polaroid Z340 instant digital camera…]

In truth, I didn’t really understand this until I met THE remix king himself, MIKE RELM. If you’re familiar with Relm’s work, then you’ll know why he’s the very important guest kicking off our 2012 cjLIVE season this Tuesday, February 7th on chasejarvis LIVE. Mark your calendars – you will not forgive yourself if you miss this episode, especially because (apologies in advance…) the performance portion of the show–Mike ripping it on the 1’s & 2’s–can’t be rebroadcast based on music licensing. (irony noted ;)

Who: You, Me, Mike Relm & a worldwide gathering of creative people
What: Q&A plus a LIVE PERFORMANCE remix legend Mike Relm
When: this Tuesday, Feb 7th at 11:00am Seattle time (2 pm NYC time or 19:00 London time)
Where: tune in to www.chasejarvis.com/live. It’s free – anyone can watch.

In the unlikely even you’re not familiar with Mike’s work, he is a director, a DJ, a producer and live performer like you’ve never seen and he’s perhaps more knowledgable about the Remix than anybody in my rolodex. He’s directed mashup music videos featuring Del the Funky HomoSapien, done commercials for Hollywood blockbuster films (like Favreau’s IRON MAN) and Google and beyond, he even performed live at the 2010 Olympics. This episode will slap you around and wake you up to the very real notion that talent really does imitate, while genius steals.

Ditch the idea of yourself as a lone artist out on the plains of oblivion. Throw away the notion that you are your own creative soul. Just like other no-BS, hard hitting episodes, this won’t be a about theories or what-ifs, this will be about how to specifically take stock of your inner dialog, fuse it with pop culture for inspiration, and then make kickass creative work.

***Lastly, two important things:

1. For some fun and to pimp this show, I’ll be giving away a brand-new Polaroid Z340 camera ($300 value) autographed by yours truly, to the the person who follows @chasejarvis and sends out the best tweet that contains the URL (or short url) to THIS post AND hashtag #cjLIVE, starting right now and ending at the beginning of the show on Tuesday. Enter as many times (tweets) as you want – we’ll be watching out for your shoutouts.

2. If you’d like to be a part of the live in-studio audience, meet me and Mike and our cjINC crew, sign up for our email newsletter on the cjLIVE page here AND send an email to production@chasejarvis.com with “Remix” in the subject line. We will invite 30 guests new to our email list to attend the show in Seattle.

See you on Tuesday Feb 7. Please spread the word! [some of Mike Relm’s work, below]

Amazing web page. A lot of helpful tips right here. Now i’m mailing the idea to several associates ans in addition revealing around delightful. Not to mention, thanks a lot within your attempt!

Just wanna remark on few general things, The website design is perfect, the articles is rattling good :D.

Carroll Ieng says:

fujitsu service center in Kidwai Nagar

Jovan Briden says:

Nita Morey October 11, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely magnificent. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific web site.

Twyla Chilen says:

I seldom leave comments, however after reading a few of the remarks here chasejarvis LIVE hosts genius creative MIKE RELM on Tues Feb 7th | Chase Jarvis Blog. I do have a couple of questions for you if it’s okay. Is it simply me or do some of these responses come across like they are written by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting on additional online sites, I’d like to follow you. Would you list of all of your social networking sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

Lesley Lampi says:

I enjoy you because of all your hard work on this web site. Kate delights in getting into research and it is easy to understand why. I notice all relating to the dynamic form you offer rewarding steps by means of your blog and therefore strongly encourage contribution from some other people on the theme while our favorite simple princess is truly discovering a lot of things. Have fun with the rest of the year. You have been carrying out a stunning job.

It is difficult to acquire knowledgeable males and girls within this topic, and you could be seen as you know what that you are dealing with! Thanks

One thing is always that one of the most frequent incentives for applying your card is a cash-back or even rebate provision. Generally, you’ll receive 1-5% back upon various expenditures. Depending on the credit cards, you may get 1% back again on most buying, and 5% again on acquisitions made using convenience stores, filling stations, grocery stores plus ‘member merchants’.

I am not sure where you’re getting your info, but great topic. I must spend a while finding out more or figuring out more. Thank you for great information I used to be on the lookout for this info for my mission.

Mireya Nish says:

Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people think about worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

Car Rims says:

great issues altogether, you just gained a brand new reader. What could you recommend in regards to your submit that you made a few days in the past? Any sure?

Josh Gubler says:

Really sorry that I didn’t get this question fired off before the show ended, maybe I can get an answer here.

How do you draw the line of “you get to use my work for free” vs “you have to pay me to use it”?

For example. “Hey random creative person, feel free to remix my work (being respectful, adding value, etc). Oh wait…you work for a marketing company that was hired by one of my clients? Since you intend to use the work for them, they have to pay additional licensing.”

Or do you just give up on the potential of re-licensing past work?

Dec Medina says:

For A handful of people that had the privilege of watching this live, hat’s off to you, but the rest will just have to imagine while playing back the audio. Soon I will be moving back to my hometown (Seattle) . Maybe even go to a live show to watch Chase Jarvis live. ….We get what we get.. and move on.

I was just planning to share this video with a friend. Looks like you made it private on UStream. Am I missing something?

sweetandcoolval says:

Thanks for the intro to Mike. He blew my mind today, if for no other reason than the cerebral bandwidth this guy has to be able to mix audio and video simultaneously. My phone died as I was outside the studio so I wasn’t able to take photos or notes. In a way I think it was better because all I could do was listen and absorb.

I also want to say thanks to you and the #cjlive team for making efforts to continue the creative conversation. There should be more folks out there who go out of their way to share.

Mike Tasker says:

I missed to show too, because I had work but I’m not complaining about it. My friend just told me about Chasejarvislive and I still can’t believe the information we get is free. So many smoke and mirror videos out there that cost an arm and a leg to get, and yet we get real people talking about real stuff for FREE!!!! People need to stop and realize Chase has a job too and it does not include bending over and taking it from you. You guys need to remember he didn’t even have to do this in the first place.
Chase thank you for the FREE videos, I learn so much from them. I am still catching up on the videos but so far fantastic work. I can see where you guys learn from the past videos as you go along. I went to school and received a BA in photo and their photo program didn’t even touch on a lot of the things you cover. Thank you for my re-education it has helped me shape my business better. I still have a lot to learn but I know where I need to go now. Signed up for some of the creative live shows so I am really looking forward to them. Thank you for the inspiration and free shit! Looking forward to meeting you someday or even working with you.

Hasturo says:

Thank you for this great talk, and Mike Relm’s live performance

Michael says:

Sounds like another awesome show Chase. I can’t believe all the people giving you hell for something you do for free because it isn’t convenient for them. i have an appointment during the show so I’ll miss it too but that’s my thing not yours. Keep on keeping on man, I love what you’re doing.

Karma Rae says:

Yeah yeah I caught that, give a girl a break. “Your”.

Karma Rae says:

Awesome, looking forward to it, I appreciate all you give Chase.
To the whiners or people with dayjobs or students or whatever it is you choose to do: there is ALWAYS a way to achieve something if it’s what you REALLY want. I’ll be taking my lunch from my dayjob 2 hours later and locking myself in someone’s office to watch. Ask your teacher if you can miss a class for something relevant, adjust your normal schedule, have our girlfriend record it with a camera, heck: call in sick if it’s truly important you see it. Just a few suggestions….

Scott says:

OUR girlfriend? I knew it. That bitch!!!

I must really be out on the plains of oblivion. I consider remixing not to be standing on the shoulders of giants but to be like a pigeon crapping on the head of a statue. Gaining the height and exposure without doing the work to get there. I must watch and learn…

Chase says:

No, I agree in part here. But I am watching to gain understanding about the Remix culture. To me its half fad and being 39, its something I grew up with since the early 80s. Samples in music, beats rewritten over and over, art being slung in different colors but the original was never theres to begin with. Its always been around.

I am watching to see if theres something I am missing on the aspects of how its not “the pigeon pooping on the statue” but something else, something more legit.

Trust me, theres work in the Remix, hard work. Just because the source material isnt original doesnt downplay whats built on it, but I dont always agree with Remixing in general, hence why I will watch.

I dont particularly agree with Chases’ opening statement either: “Talent imitates, genius steals” because thats all semantics in my book, but theres room for people to learn on both sides here.

Scott says:

Sure, the statement is rhetorical and designed to upset the mythical connotation of originality in creativity. It’s import is that deep artistic understanding involves tapping into sources that are, in some way, universal. (cf “every poet is a thief”). It’s not to be taken literally, as Chase (the original, ha!), points out when he says don’t take others work and pass it off as your own.
Of course this discussion on remix culture will no doubt be more involved than just that idea.

(P.S. Oddly, I still don’t know whether I wil get to view it! But I’m okay with that. Chase’s prerogative, and I don’t expect him to have to dicky with licensing issues)

Chase says:

I take Im the original “Chase” as Im a few years older than Jarvis? LMAO

Im excited for this none-the-less. Im not hatin, Im diggin to learn.

Jon says:

Gosh, reading comprehension really is a problem for some people, isn’t it? If Chase’s conversation with Mike is as interesting and enlightening as the others he’s had on Live, I hardly think the audience able to watch only that part will be poorly served.

Plus, it’s *free*, for Chrissakes.

Scott says:

Oh, okay. I didn’t think it was crystal clear that the conversation part would remain available after the live show. Maybe it was clear enough to some that this would be the case, but if you parse the comments made by Chase then it is possible for there to remain some ambiguity about whether those who miss the Live broadcast would still be able to check in later and view the (no doubt enlightening) conversation.
Yes, he does say it will be ‘recorded’ in his responses above. But perhaps some of us here still weren’t sure if the recording would go up on-site here and be viewable by us later.
And his initial blog post just says, in effect – don’t miss this because it cannot be rebroadcast due to licensing issues surrounding the performance aspect.

Scott says:

I wonder – Is it possible to rebroadcast the non-performance part, ie the conversation? These are always enlightening, informative, inspiring and perhaps what the disgruntled are after…
In any case – I don’t suppose there’s anything stopping others ripping and youtubing it (license-rights-required part divested), right?

Steve says:

Chase, Just a quick note to say Thank You for all
that you give freely. I have learned much from you
and all it cost me was my time, while it cost you building,
Transportation, catering, crew and beer, just to name a few.

John says:

This isn’t who I thought it was. I thought it was the chap who did “Everything is a Remix” (which is FANTASTIC! google it).

Never heard of this guy though.

Luis Bertos says:

I hope not miss it for it is not in the memory… like tears in the rain;)

Yup says:

Another person disappointed that this won’t be made available to a wider audience.

Chase says:

People – I’ve gotta say I’m disappointed at all the griping about rewatch. I bust my ass to share stuff at my personal expense –sometimes I can and sometimes I can’t… but the presumption that it’s my obligation to jump thru hoops and pay extra licensing fees to make it available to you at your fingertips is a bummer…

how bout we reframe this the live show as an opportunity to get together and listen, watch a genius at work. If you can make it, awesome. If you can’t, bummer. But let’s please not sweat the guy (yours truly) whose doing all the work to make it happen at all… Much appreciated.

WTF!?!
Are you guys for real? Whining about not being able to watch a free show…

Oh, by the way, Chase, love that you’re not being modest and that you refer to yourself as a genius at work.. ;-) Or was it your guest you referred to?

Cheers

CTD says:

Chase, man, you are the bees knees, Love that you make this available and do so much for the creative community . I got an appointment @ this time & will miss this one,,, but hey I know there’ll be another equally inspiring live gig I can catch ‘down the road’. Thanks again for all you do do! (besides there’ so much content on your iTunes feed I still haven’t caught!).

Yair Haim says:

I just love your blog !!! I can’t wait to watch it.

Jim says:

Nice wiggle in the hallway.

Mau says:

Not sure why there will be no re broadcast, and no explanation either… Too bad since the hype on this one is off the charts.

Nikki says:

Why is all the “most important” stuff never rebroadcast for people who can’t see it at the original broadcast. The fact we can’t watch doesn’t reflect on our commitment to learning or change. It means we are fulfilling other obligations at that time. I respect what you’re doing and thank you and your guest for sharing your knowledge. But what good is it if you don’t share with everyone who wants to learn from you. At least give it 24 hours for those of us who want to learn. If you can’t find time to watch in 24 hours, then you really didn’t want it bad enough. But 2 o’clock (est) on a Tuesday afternoon? Unfortunately, not even doable.

Ben says:

I agree. I have school at the time of broadcast and it would be really nice to be able to watch the show but now I won”t be able to. This makes me quite sad because I really enjoy chasejarvis LIVE. Hopefully he’ll change his mind :)

Chase says:

Nikki – full refund in the mail. Per my note above – the talk is being recorded, but the performance cannot be rebroadcast or downloadable via our podcast due to music licensing restrictions. #respect

John says:

Disappointing that this show is not being recorded for rebroadcast at other times. Some of us have jobs that will not allow us to view this show at this time.

Chase says:

The talk is being recorded, but the performance cannot be rebroadcast or downloadable via our podcast due to music licensing restrictions. #respect

John says:

Oh, the irony, one broadcast that can’t be remixed, because it’s not being recorded! ;)

Very much looking forward to it.