Celebrate the Earth: 10 Stunning Photos Of Nature + Humans

Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

A boy is hit by waves as he collects recyclable materials from garbage washed onto the shore along Manila Bay in Manila on August 27, 2011. (Cheryl Ravelo/Reuters)

17 Responses to Celebrate the Earth: 10 Stunning Photos Of Nature + Humans

1. Erin Wilson April 23, 2012 at 10:43 am #

If you don’t know Edward Burtynsky ‘s work, particularly his work on the oil industry, don’t miss it.

2. Nicholas J Longtin April 23, 2012 at 10:52 am #

Great photos. I’ve been a huge fan of the Big Picture for a long time. I visited Salt Lake city this spring and was stunned by the environmental devastation done to the great salt lake. There were thousands of dead animals on the beaches, much like this photo I took of a bird: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlongtin/7064512023/in/set-72157629407729358

3. Arthur April 23, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

Remember people, everthing you buy, everything you consume is bringing this world one step further to an collapsed environment! Use you stuff as long as possible. Copper ,as an example,(like in the picture) isn’t for the “bad industries”, its for your new iphone, tablet and whatever eletronical device you will buy because you don’t like you old one anymore.

4. Mike Lorden April 23, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

I believe that someday, someone will take a picture or make a film that will wake us up. I’m trying to raise awareness with my photos. http://www.flickr.com/photos/60773459@N05/sets/72157629520902516/

5. Andrew Jones April 23, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

You know what bothers me about these photographs. They perpetuate the idea that third world countries are the cause of all our environmental problems. Many of the photographs are of Asian developing nations (or caused by Asian developing nations – ie the NZ shipwreck). Easy targets because they are graphic and repulsive photos which just reinforce our perception that China et al is a big bad polluting giant with no regard for the environment. From my experiences in China this is not true. In many ways for a country that size they have a light touch on the environment and are actually trying very hard to improve.

Not to say that China can’t improve but the real environmental tragedy is much more surreptitious and dangerous. First world countries (of which I’m a resident) consumption, energy use etc. The Mum in the SUV the disposable goods which we buy from Chinese manufacturers and then discard. Photographs that show this kind of environmental destruction are much less graphic and much less eye-catching but maybe that is the real story worth telling.

6. faisal April 24, 2012 at 5:14 am #

Stunning photo, simply stunning and awesomely shot.

7. RvF April 24, 2012 at 8:12 am #

Such a beautiful world and such a poor effort, humans do, to keep it as such! I only hope we’re going to wake up one day!

8. Harry, ExposedPlanet April 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

Wonderful images of a wonderful planet. I have been sharing the beauty of our planet on ExposedPlanet.com for many years, hopefully to inspire people to explore and protect.

9. Dr. Valerie Stevens April 25, 2012 at 4:41 am #

Excellent images! I love it. I specially liked the southern lights. What a wonderful sight to behold.

10. Aiza April 25, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

Beautiful pictures! very beautiful. I am happy that there still beautiful places on Earth. They would look still beautiful if we will help each other to take care of them.

11. eddiebaba April 25, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

If this DIGITAL REVOLUTION we’re at the beginning of can accomplish “ONE” thing and show the WORLD through photos how poorly we take care of it, EARTH DAY might someday become the second biggest celebrated day on Earth!

12. th0i3 April 27, 2012 at 7:01 am #

this is insanely awesome!

13. vivan Dsena May 12, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

nothing really to celebrate about the way we abuse our natural resources….pity that I stay in one of the countries that is a major contributor of this madness,…but I did not know china was worse. ..thanks for sharing guys. Gonna use the report in my project..

14. non faith based drug locations May 14, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

The photo that you posted about the view of the southern lights between Antarctica and Australia is simply awesome.

15. Jens May 22, 2012 at 8:21 am #

It’s so sad how we treat our planet.

1. The Best of Earth Day/Hour - Aputure Blog - April 25, 2012

[...] Day and Earth Hour both happened recently, and a famous photographer brought it to our attention that we should celebrate Earth Day with stunning pictures. So [...]