Daily Awesome: Digital Camera Made of Cardboard

Image via The Fancy

IKEA may seem like nothing more than a necessary evil for those who don’t wanna drop a full paycheck on a single piece of furniture (and hey, their pre-fab systems and some in-store displays are actually quite innovative…), but this here is some next level shiz: an eco-friendly, cardboard-bodied digital camera.

Shoots/stores up to 40 images, uses AA batteries (which, if you can find them hiding in the remote control, are a lot more convenient than clunky camera batteries which require special chargers), and it even features a super-handy swing-out USB plug for downloading your pure photo gold.

Not available in stores yet, but anticipated soon. And… not saying this will replace your iphone/droid, but I guarantee it’ll be a conversation-starter at parties or on location for your next commercial gig…

via engadget.

26 Responses to Daily Awesome: Digital Camera Made of Cardboard

1. sweetandcoolval April 30, 2012 at 10:54 am #

These would be great to give to kids when you don’t want to hand over your higher end camera. I’m looking forward to checking them out.

2. Adam Haworth April 30, 2012 at 10:58 am #

I’m wondering what the price on these will be like. Seems like a good idea if the price is good and the image is somewhat acceptable.

3. Jason April 30, 2012 at 11:14 am #

It might produce some interesting images! Looks like these cameras won’t be for sale, but rather a promotional item given with the purchase of a new product line. Also read the image quality is pretty low.

4. Dusty April 30, 2012 at 11:44 am #

I bet something similar to this design will be the new “disposable” camera – you know, the kind they give away at weddings, parties and promotionals…most folks don’t want to pay for film processing for the old-fashioned disposable cameras – but anyone can jack this cardboard throwaway into their USB port.

5. Anonymous April 30, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

Looks kinda good as guest table camera for
    Weddings.

6. EmceeGrady April 30, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

Can you do a review when they become available. Pro photographer /cheap camera

7. Les Wilcockson April 30, 2012 at 2:15 pm #

Check out my self-bulid camera idea:

8. Yucel April 30, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

I gotta wonder around where in Ikea to find that?

9. Jay April 30, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

It would be eco-friendly if they didn’t make this. It’s going to get torn up in a week and go in the trash. (though I guess it’s supposed to be disposable which is also rediculous for an “eco-friendly” product) It might be a fun little toy, but it would be the most environmentally friendly if they didn’t waste the resources and carbon on it in the first place. Just use the crappiest point and shoot you can find instead.

10. faisal May 1, 2012 at 5:18 am #

I think it is very well made, awesome looking and well designed.

11. Nicolae Cioloca May 1, 2012 at 7:52 am #

Nice, am I the only one who is asking about how the pictures look like which this camera is producing?

—-
    Nico – Germany

12. Debbie Tracy May 1, 2012 at 8:47 am #

Helo,
    I dont, really have a question about how to aproach getting an assistant, I would like to become one. I am a local hairdresser, Charlotte NC and love artistic, very edgy work, my brother and sister are into photoghrophy, more freelance, I worked with him on a job with an important person and saw how working together is the key, as with my industry with hair and behind the scences in a hair show, I loved it! True talent is the key as with teamwork, If you could at least get me connections if anyone is hirring I’d love to help, I’m a hairdresser and do airbrush makeup I trained in NY and love that as well, please respond,
    sincerely,
    Debbie

13. jose May 1, 2012 at 9:58 am #

If people are hoping to get clean crisp images from this then keep looking. I can envision this camera as a tool to spark creativity and after all, isn’t that why we all got into photography?

14. DanielKphoto May 1, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Haha, awesome, really like this thing :)

15. David May 5, 2012 at 1:43 am #

Haha!!! This could have been used for DigitalRevTv’s Pro Photographer Crap Camera challenge haha! Remember Chase??

16. Garrett May 5, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

Might have to get one of these cameras for my camera collection.

17. Barney Walters May 7, 2012 at 7:25 am #

Got to be getting myself one of those. Not sure if I could go to IKIA though, online store perhaps.

18. Christian May 15, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

Haha. Looking cool but won’t be waterproof to an extend I reckon. Maybe it’ll compete with the LEGO camera. You should make a video about the camera for sure :) Where are all those ideas coming from and will there be a market for them? In times where smartphones feature multi megapixel resolution, full hd video and compact cameras like the J1 and V1 offer so much flexibility.

As cute as they might look but personally i don’t realy see a future in the mainstream market for them. May

19. Christian May 15, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

be as a party piece. Btw sorry for the double post. Not used to the trackpad of the MBP yet which seems to be a pain when typing with my palms flat on the surfice…

20. Christy Harper May 24, 2012 at 2:15 am #

Interesting article!! Thanks for sharing :)

21. Tad Shimp November 18, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

Great info and right to the point. I don’t know if this is truly the best place to ask but do you guys have any thoughts on where to hire some professional writers? Thx :)

22. Dan Bluming December 21, 2012 at 6:30 am #

Hi there, I found your blog by way of Google while looking for a comparable topic, your web site came up, it seems to be good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

23. POP countertop displays March 8, 2014 at 12:01 am #

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession
    capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.

Anyway I’ll be subscribing on your feeds and even I achievement you
    get entry to persistently fast.

1. IKEA making cameras now! - van Raaphorst studios - May 3, 2012

[...] Source .-.-. Chase Jarvis Engaget  [...]

2. IKEA's Cardboard Camera Takes Digital Accessibility to A New … | Digital Camera Analysis - May 8, 2012

[...] the original: IKEA's Cardboard Camera Takes Digital Accessibility to A New … Share this post to your [...]