Emerging Talent: IGNACIO TORRES + His “Stellar” Project

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Young NYC based photographer Ignacio Torres gave me cause for pause with his fascinating photographs that look like they come straight from the mind of Carl Sagan (“we are all made of star stuff”). Torres used three dimensional gifs to make these photographs even more dynamic. Click through the gallery image tabs above for more examples of Torres’ work. Here’s what he has to say about his “Stellar” project:

This project began from the theory that humans are made of cosmic matter as a result of a stars death. I created imagery that showcased this cosmic birth through the use of dust and reflective confetti to create galaxies. The models organic bodily expressions as they are frozen in time between the particles suggest their celestial creation…space and time are heightened by the use of three-dimensional animated gifs. Their movement serves as a visual metaphor to the spatial link we share with stars as well as their separateness through time.

——
Torres’ snagged his BFA from North Texas in 2010. His website is here.

10 Responses to Emerging Talent: IGNACIO TORRES + His “Stellar” Project

1. Matthew T Rader April 17, 2012 at 11:26 am #

These are really cool and creative photos! I wonder how he makes all that magical looking dust in the photos. It’s awesome!

2. Sven Uckermann April 17, 2012 at 9:14 pm #

I think he uses wheat “powder” … just go to your local grocery stor -> baking supplys -> drop model in the “dust” let them move -> dust in the picture -> ad some flares etc in PS. I have seen such pictures with classical ballet dancers in black and white … awesome pictures .. but all the mess …

3. David April 17, 2012 at 11:46 pm #

Interesting. He really seriously pushes the ISO, which kinda adds to the discordance of the powder / glitter / starstuff.
    Generally, I get what he is going for, the connection between star death and human creation is an interesting and difficult thing to capture in a single image. If ya really wanna push it, use the matrix type multi camera coordinated axis rotation, to really swing us around the subjects. GIF is a limitation there, this leaves us a bit jerky. Kudos on the innovative thinking, no doubt.

4. Craig Emilio Griffiths April 18, 2012 at 4:54 am #

Really lovely stuff. I don’t believe it’s the technique that wows people. It’s what Egnacio has done with the dust and light. It’s real impressive overall and I will give stereography a go myself this weekend.

What is the optimum amount of exposures and cameras to use?

5. faisal April 18, 2012 at 5:48 am #

How did he do that? Any insight into it?

• Guest April 21, 2012 at 10:56 pm #

Guessing here… Use 3 cameras at 3 different angles, triggered at the same time? Then create animated GIF.

6. nike 2012 June 18, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

I would like to thnkx for the efforts you have put in writing this website. I’m hoping the same high-grade blog post from you in the upcoming as well. Actually your creative writing skills has encouraged me to get my own web site now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a good example of it.

7. car cigarette lighter socket plug September 16, 2014 at 12:01 am #

this luks gud!!!?

1. Boinking the Clones » Project Stellar by IGNACIO TORRES - April 23, 2012

[...] Original Chase Jarvis [...]

2. Stellar by Ignacio Torres | CameraLuv | Camera-Inspired Prints, Hand-Painted Art, Inspirations on all things Camera and Photography - April 25, 2012

[...] Via Chase Jarvis [...]