Breaking News: Facebook Launches Photo App

Facebook dropped a photo app today that will definitely turn a few heads. The app is chock-full of the features iPhone photographers want: You can crop, rotate and add filters to any picture in your camera roll in app. If your Facebook use is all about photos this app could replace the regular Facebook app. It offers a “news feed” that exclusively shows pictures as its home page. Screen shots below. What do you guys think? Like, Dislike, Neutral?

Facebook Photo App on Chase Jarvis Blog

Facebook Photo App on Chase Jarvis Blog

31 Responses to Breaking News: Facebook Launches Photo App

1. Steven May 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

It looks cool but I’ll continue to use Instagram because I want to share my photos to different places at the same time and it lets me do that very easily.

2. rik May 24, 2012 at 1:10 pm #

i tried finding it in the app store, but it doesn’t seem to be there yet, unless it’s called something other than “facebook camera”

3. Chris Malpass May 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

Facebook bought Instagram for a reason. Now they can capitalize on this and not have the competition from them. Business-wise it’s a good move….but still I’m so sick of the mobile camera apps and cheesy filtering.

4. Steve May 24, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

I agree with Steven above regarding Instagram. It does look promising though. Personally, I think the Facebook iOS app (iPhone and iPad) is garbage…meaning its slow, buggy and unreliable. If this photo app works more seamlessly with fewer issues, I’ll probably use it occasionally.

5. hector orlando May 24, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

I think this all apps are for having fun with your phone camera when you don’t want to go out with your dslr or you just see a pic that can go on the run!!!!!
    Saludos desde Chihuahua México!!!!!!!

6. matthew May 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

Good point about those of us that would rather use the apps and tools that allows us to share to multiple services/sites, instead of having it locked in Facebook.

As someone who uses an Android device, I remain incredulous that Facebook could not simultaneously release this app for both platforms. I’m running out of breath to sigh anymore.

• Gary May 24, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

Thank you matthew I was going to say the same thing about Android. I forgave Instagram because they were a tiny company and didn’t have the resources or Android programmer background but that isn’t the case with Facebook it is mind boggling that they cut out such a large segment of their users on a launch like this.

7. Ben May 24, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

I think it’s a genius idea from them. But I doubt they will implement it in a way that is user-centric. I agree with others who say their app is garbage.

I doubt I’ll use it unless it is an easier way to upload images from Camera+. (by far the best camera app since Best Camera)

• Mike Carney May 25, 2012 at 11:03 am #

+1 for Camera+ being the best camera app. Personally, I need a countdown timer in my app to use my ClearShot credit card sized iPhone tripod.

8. shawn May 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

Facebook is a suck ass mobile experience. So it makes sense that they would launch a skinny way to use FB via mobile.

From Peta…. “It also all but replaces the regular Facebook app for those people who only use Facebook for photos by offering a “news feed” that shows only pictures as its home page” http://www.petapixel.com/2012/05/24/facebook-launches-its-own-camera-app/

Until FB figures out mobile, they will continue to nibble around the edges.

9. Nick May 24, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Google+ is far superior for photographers.

10. Martin May 24, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

Don’t look bad but i think it will kill Instagram and i really do not want that to happend :/

11. Gregory May 24, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

I just don’t understand why Facebook bought Instagram if they were going to come out with their own social photo app!

12. Derek May 24, 2012 at 5:28 pm #

Its not bad. Fairly fast. Con is that the description overlays onto the image (no way to view just the image).

The reason why facebooked released this app even though they own instagram is because the development of this app happened way before the buyout. The team put a lot of work into the application and they wanted to release it.

13. Kimberly May 24, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

Instagram is just a rip-off of The Best Camera!

14. jose May 24, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

I’ll stick with instagram until something better comes along.

15. Jürgen May 25, 2012 at 2:27 am #

This will cause so much more usless and bad pictures in the web…

16. Hunter Harrison May 25, 2012 at 3:48 am #

I agree with Steven (way above). The regular Facebook app is such an awful experience. It’s so slow and buggy that I never want to use it. I’ve lost so much confidence in FB that I won’t even try this new app. I’ll just stick with Instagram and my real film cameras.

Maybe this new app is why FB bought Instagram – to avoid patent litigation. What I have seen of the new FB app makes it look a little Instagram-ish.

17. David Schmaus May 25, 2012 at 5:29 am #

I think FB is starting to head in the direction of MYspace. Buggy interface, most likely ruining instagram and I think in general people are starting to come up and breath from the social network era we have seen over the last 5 or so years. I have seen a huge fall off in participation and I think people a craving some real human interaction.

18. faisal May 25, 2012 at 5:34 am #

This is an awesome app, way to go Facbeook.

19. Adam C May 25, 2012 at 8:45 am #

I love innovation but there are so many other photo apps that share to social media sites… it almost seems a little too late for this one… when i can find it on google play i’ll probably try it but still i think showing a print to a person trumps sharing pixels.

20. Dov May 25, 2012 at 10:29 am #

FB iOS in general is crap and their photo app is crap. I will remain an Instagram whore (find me @cliquesphotobooth)
    Here’s a solid article on the FB photo app:

21. Scott May 27, 2012 at 9:47 am #

I though the new Facebook Camera app was pretty good actually, I didn’t like the feel of the feed but the actual camera and filters were pretty good.

22. jeroenh May 27, 2012 at 10:05 am #

dirk jorn and zowieso ;) leave it to the dutch to get this app rollin’

23. FSW May 27, 2012 at 11:01 am #

If you don’t allow location services, it can’t look at your pics. Kind of odd. I’m not impressed.

There are lots of better apps out there including yours, Chase.

24. Christy Harper May 28, 2012 at 1:00 am #

This is interesting. Thanks for the post. Now I’ve got to get another app :)

25. Nick Botner May 28, 2012 at 6:24 am #

It’s definitely a great addition to having “fun” photos in my facebook news stream. But that’s about as far as it goes for me.

26. Matt Simmons May 31, 2012 at 8:44 am #

Facebook is my primary social networking site. I’ll have to try the app before I really have an opinion, but it could be convenient for posting on the go stuff… I have instagram and use it, but it could use some better features.

27. Simon Lafler November 26, 2012 at 7:51 am #

This post is in fact a nice one it helps new web people, who are wishing for blogging.

28. Lucius Lienke October 9, 2014 at 4:29 am #

21. Tony Gonzalez, Small come to an outcome, Altlanta ga Falcons: Tony more than certainly as opposed to attending anyplace in addition to vinings also michael’s table, Except he’s like the real estate professional. He previously perhaps probably the most year to do with a future all the way through 2012, Finding and capturing 93 golf tennis baseprojectiles during 908 feets moreover credit credit rating 8 touchdowns.