Learning from Startups Helps You Run YOUR Creative Business [SXSW Advise This Panel with Chase Jarvis, Tim Ferriss, Gary Vaynerchuk, Tony Conrad and J.R. Johnson]

As we artists continue to be forced to become entrepreneurs in our own right (see this episode of #cjLIVE with Zoe Keating), all things entrepreneurial are of interest to me… How can we channel our creative stuff into thinking into light, fast and hardcore focus like most startups are forced to think. The correlation is not a perfect one, but it’s expressly relevant to us creatives. It’s relevant for me not only in my own photography business, but it some offshoots I’ve either founded or co-founded like creativeLIVE.com (Free, LIVE creative education for everyone) and Best Camera (the first photo app in the world to share images to social networks). I’ve learned a ton through all this and I want to apply/share that experience and photo industry knowledge to do good in other photography via advisory roles that are on constantly emerging.

So anyway, that’s why it was a no-brainer when I was asked by SXSW to lead/moderate this panel with a handful of my super-badass pals Tim Ferriss, Gary Vaynerchuk, Tony Conrad, and JR Johnson — all amazing entrepreneurs, advisors and VC guys in their own rights. So if entrepreneruialism, startups, or the need to learn from them and think like one in your own business has any appeal, you’ll get something outta this panel.

Apologies in advance for the different-than-normal recording quality. The nice folks at SXSW were kind enough to let us share this, but it was created at a different standard than we would have created it due to limited resources. No harm, no foul – we’re just stoked to be able to share it. It’s still very digable.

Have a great weekend.

——-

SXSW advise this panel chase jarvis

Kirsten says:

I guess I should fill something out whilst I’m here visiting. Many thanks for putting up terrific stuff. It’s asking for the net site here whilst I am posting this, so here’s one which I was just checking out. Just take care.

social media says:

Normally I wouldn’t read posting about weblogs, however i would like to state that this particular write-up really forced me you need to do therefore! A person’s producing preference is amazed me. Thank you so much, really fantastic write-up.

Carlo Eckler says:

Wonderful Post, Thank you for Discussing

MLM Software says:

Chase, thanks for sharing! I really like your interview style and glad to obtain the helpful tips and information for my business.

Graeme says:

Everything helps. I’m learning more and more that being a great photographer is really only 1/4 of the battle. Being a smart marketer and business person seems to be the most important part. Thanks for the post.

Great video, these types of interviews are so helpful – thanks so much!

Moshe says:

One should also learn the power of HYPE.
As in, I truely believe Best Camera is much better than Instagram.
Yet you did not get the $1B….

Emilia Jane says:

Chase, thank you so much for this! As a photographer married to a VC backed startup CTO I hear a lot about this stuff all the time, but it’s so cool to glean really useful knowledge for my business too!

Ed Davis says:

Chase your videos are great. I learn so much from every one of them. Love the platform and your interview style.

Matt Simmons says:

Thank you Chase and crew for bringing this kind of inspiration and business knowledge to us. I can’t tell you how much these kinds of interviews and information on your blog has helped me with my own business. Cheers!

Will says:

Love the idea and the content is super relevant. Would of loved to see a female or a person of color up in the mix-as inspiration, for this portion of our community that finds it even harder to break through the threshold of art and entrepreneurship.

Gary Martin says:

Sounds like lots of cussing is a key to success in the hustle for capital.

Concerned parent says:

Thanks for the comment Gary….I’ll know not to listen to this when the kids are around….if at all…

faisal says:

Awesome advice from panel, really worth listening.

B. Moore says:

This panel as awesome as it was and the great job Chase did leading the panel it should have been given more time for the amount of information that was covered. IMHO it should have been at the very least a 2 hour panel.

This is a must watch discussion.

Thank You Chase!