Beginner or emerging photographer? Well, once you know what’s happening with your camera and all those dials, it’s time to take on lighting and flash photography. In taking that next step – learning to light – you can do almost anything, and nothing opens up this opportunity more effectively and affordably than working with Speedlights, those small on- and off-camera lights that are your entree into a whole new world.

…Which gives me a great opportunity to plug a free, live online workshop over at creativeLIVE.com from my pal, the talented photo instructor, Mark Wallace. The action kicks off this this coming Friday, May 18th (register here for free).

This workshop will give you the confidence to incorporate small portable flash in your photography toolkit. From freezing action in sports or adding drama in location portraits, this workshop will include lots of live shooting examples that will help everything make sense. Once you start working with these portable flashes, I’m guessing you’ll never understand how you lived without ‘em.

Mark’s Breakdown of the 3-Days:

Day 1 (May 18) - get the principles down. Once you know what’s happening with your camera/flash you can do almost anything. Get students to try things at each step of the way (I have activities for people at home).

Day 2 (May 19) - expand on day 1 and get the flash off the camera and start modifying the light. More hands-on demos with lots of room for Q&A to put things in practice. More show less tell.

Day 3 (May 20) - Working through common scenarios. Day three will be almost all shooting based on the most common scenarios I hear about (how do I freeze motion on sports, how do I shoot at night, etc). Lots of room for Q&A.

Again – register now here to attend online for free. All are welcome.

Here’s an intro vid if you wanna know more…

18 Responses to Learning Speedlights – The First Step in Expanding Your Photography with Lighting

1. Matt Simmons May 16, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

Speedlights are a great way to lighten your load and use off camera lighting. Looking forward to Marks class!

2. Brian Chinn May 16, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

Chase, you gotta find the time to teach your dad how to get off automatic! Haha classic vid on creativeLIVE.

3. Jim May 16, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

Mark has mad some great instructional videos for Adorama, this should be a great tutorial

4. Kenna Klosterman May 16, 2012 at 11:00 pm #

In my humble opinion, Mark Wallace is a natural born teacher. He breaks down concepts in a way rarely seen and has fun while he’s at it. Mark has incredible patience a huge heart to boot! Hope to see you all in the chat rooms this weekend on creativeLIVE! ~kenna

5. Moritz May 17, 2012 at 2:38 am #

love my speedlights, got 3 (though 1 needs fixing…)
    3 lights i think is all you need to get that great rim light look and looks great on location with sport shoots

moritz

6. faisal May 17, 2012 at 6:52 am #

Thanks a ton for the explanation. Always valuable for a newbie like me.

7. RvF May 17, 2012 at 8:00 am #

There is always space for improvement, looking forward to it!
    Thanks.

8. Charles Stafford May 18, 2012 at 8:55 am #

Great tutorial.

9. Teresa May 18, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

Would love to be there, but will be at the Maker Faire in San Mateo, CA. Will there be a way to see it after the fact?

/me is crossing her fingers!

• chase jarvis May 19, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

yes – you can purchase the download or streaming to have the course in it’s entirety for $99 bucks before Sunday EOD. After that it’s $149

10. Hunter McLachlan May 21, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

thanks for your suggestions..

11. Jimmy Rooney May 22, 2012 at 9:54 am #

Mark’s video series has been absolutely fantastic! I wasn’t able to catch all of it live, but I made the $99 purchase, and it has been well worth the investment. I’ve had no idea how to REALLY use that thing on top of the camera. Now I need to work on getting it off camera as well. Great post Chase!!

12. Christian May 24, 2012 at 10:39 am #

Yeah as a new owner of a Nikon speedlight this course alongside CS6 with Lesa Snyder is a godsend. TBH the new courses look awesome and CL is taking off. Love it :)

13. Tayna November 3, 2012 at 4:42 am #

Man I desperately need to up my strobe skill. I think I kind of suck.

14. Francisco Dvorsky November 18, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

Great info and right to the point. I don’t know if this is truly the best place to ask but do you guys have any thoughts on where to hire some professional writers? Thx :)

15. the lovely dragon September 23, 2014 at 12:42 am #

I love you.

1. 96 Fantastic Photography Links So You Get No Work Done Today! - May 17, 2012

[...] takes us through his steps in converting this shot and posts examples of the workflow in progress.Learning Speedlights – The First Step in Expanding Your Photography with Lighting – Chase Jarvis introduces us to what looks like a wonderful online workshop to help those [...]

2. 96 Fantastic Photography Links « Oxford School of Photography - May 18, 2012

[...] Learning Speedlights – The First Step in Expanding Your Photography with Lighting – Chase Jarvis introduces us to what looks like a wonderful online workshop to help those just starting out with speedlights.  Mark Wallace hosts a 3 day symposium online that is free to register for that looks to be of huge benefit to those breaking into this genre of photography. [...]