Modular Cameras Continue to Revolutionize The Industry

1 2 3 4 5 Next

All images courtesy of Yanko Design

Camera “concepts” are a dime a dozen. BUT…I always love it when smart designers take an idea we take for granted–like that consumer/pro-sumer camera made up of a singular body with various other moving parts–and totally shreds it. This is the case with numerous new/emerging manufactures at the moment…RED, GoPro, and even iPhone all fall into this category. I happen to love them all. There’s a new one of these concepts on the block, still in development since October, that reminds us that this stuff is not going away… The Digimo Camera Concept. I heard a rumor that this design is alive and well, not dead. Click thru the image tabs above to see more on this concept…

Regardless of particular concept or manufacture, by providing a base model that requires no add ons (GoPro for example) and then giving options for super-small but sync-able screens, as well as ball joints and attachement legs to make a building block-like structure, these cool idea allows for greater customization, and the ability to snap the camera into places that a bigger, less-mobile machine just couldn’t go–like the handlebar of your bike. Basically, it’s not too dissimilar to LEGOs concept.

As technology gets smarter and lighter, making consumer/pro-sumer grade cameras easier to manipulate and “build” is a great idea. Will the legacy camera manufactures get with the program?

26 Responses to Modular Cameras Continue to Revolutionize The Industry

1. Erik Hecht May 21, 2012 at 10:28 am #

Is that Norton kick flipping in that last photo?

2. Austin Holt May 21, 2012 at 10:42 am #

Obviously, this appears extremely similar to what GoPro already does, besides the wireless control (although this is in the works for GP from what I understand).

Would be exciting to see this GoPro-style modular attitude and applied to the firmware side of things. One of the best parts of shooting on an iPhone (right Chase ;) is its modular software capabilities. Don’t like the options? Download a new software set.

Once the cameras are small enough all you really need for mounting is a little duct tape anyway… but the capability to change the camera internally, that’s a little harder.

Just my 2 cents.

3. Matthew Wagg May 21, 2012 at 11:38 am #

I like this idea a lot. Back in the film days, Nikon were pretty much at the forefeont of modular 35mm film technology with their removable parts from the main body.
    Canon to a lesser extent. The medium format guys ruled at the modular systems with the user adding the parts they required to make their systems.

Now with dslr’s and some mf systems that is all gone. Its very sad. On my blog I am posting what I’d consider the ultimate 35mm dslr system. http://mattakadeimos.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/ultimate-dslr-system.html

4. Robert May 21, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

I would love a modular SLR. it would be great to upgrade a sensor, or other part when a better one is available. Not unlike a computer. I love my 6 year old camera, but would love if it had self cleaning higher ISO sensor.

5. Tyson May 21, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

This is a fantastic idea. All the possibilities are flashing through my head. Can we get it on kickstarter? I would order one now.

6. Louis May 22, 2012 at 12:24 am #

Ricoh GXR

7. João Almeida May 22, 2012 at 7:38 am #

I’m skeptical about this, while modular systems are common in Medium and Large Format cameras in smaller cameras like high-end compacts or SLRs I find harder to achieve. I think the increase of size of having a modular system in these smaller cameras would be noticeable when compared to the more dedicated systems we now have, unlike bigger cameras.

8. faisal May 22, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

Is the third picture the gopro case? Just curious.

9. Travis Alex May 22, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

I’m all for this…but I won’t get my hopes up until I see it in it’s physical production and how well it performs compared to the GoPro Hero or the Miveu for the iPhone 4 & 4s….My money is stocked into the Mivue as I have a 4s, and for $100, you can’t go wrong with that type of convenience for modular.

We shall see, good post/find Chase.

10. Kirk O'Neal May 22, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

I love concepts that make us rethink the images that are possible. We photographers and artist see the cool image possibilities some where other minds are seeing, medical uses, or public safety uses. business, travel. who knows what imaginations are coming up with out there. this technology is at its beginning. i can’t wait to see where it goes.

11. Scott Reither May 23, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

Images are going to continue to become more radical from where we are able to put these cameras and how we are able to capture. The Jeb Corliss videos (shot with the GoPro’s) blow my mind!! http://youtu.be/LhmzmOwkRuM I can’t even begin to imagine what people will be capturing in a few more years…

12. hair extensions courses July 12, 2012 at 7:42 am #

Greeting from across the world. excellent blog I must return for more.

13. walking dead season three February 27, 2013 at 4:11 pm #

The story keeps moving away from the comics. I am still not sure if that is a good or a bad thing

14. book flights ticket March 22, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

Hey there, You have done a great job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this web site.| book flights ticket http://www.funtraveldeals.com/book-flights/

15. agate cameo March 22, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

I’m really loving the theme/design of your weblog. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems? A small number of my blog audience have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox. Do you have any solutions to help fix this problem?| agate cameo http://www.goldmemoriesforever.com

16. Jasa Custom Clearance March 23, 2013 at 12:27 am #

Having read this I believed it was extremely informative. I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put this short article together. I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading and posting comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!|

17. financial March 23, 2013 at 7:10 am #

Great work! This is the kind of information that should be shared around the net. Disgrace on the seek engines for no longer positioning this submit upper! Come on over and visit my site . Thanks =)|

18. dr oz garcinia March 23, 2013 at 7:34 am #

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author. I will make certain to bookmark your blog and will come back in the foreseeable future. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great work, have a nice evening!| dr oz garcinia http://www.pure-garcinia-cambogia.org

19. bewerbungsfotosMünchenUSAvisum March 23, 2013 at 8:49 am #

{ bewerbungsfotos München USA visum fotos http://www.fotostudioaugenblicke.de

20. Patrick Cockey September 21, 2014 at 4:08 am #

Oh no! I are unable to make it and I’m so sad! I actually want to go even so the girls are throwing me a heading away party that night at Angie’s. And that i need so much clothes for my new job. So bummed. Anyway, possess a blast and i would go using the dress its fab! XOXO

21. Ava Sovocool September 29, 2014 at 4:44 pm #

There are advice on taking rest for sometimes for woman who feel hurt in their uterus during their second or trimsemester.

22. Don Herbolsheimer October 2, 2014 at 7:13 am #

I would like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in penning this site. I am hoping to check out the same high-grade blog posts from you later on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own, personal site now ;)

23. Mozelle Sweda October 3, 2014 at 9:46 am #

Awesome!, I love reading about diet. Loved the tip rainey just made. Its so difficult to find the right product for me. I’ve been looking now for 3 weeks! LOL Just want to let you all know I will make my goal one way or another. I promise you that! Wish me luck! :)

24. philadelphia school trips October 11, 2014 at 7:41 am #

hi, your internet site is wonderful. I truly do several thanks for operate

25. Karon Glaab October 16, 2014 at 10:57 am #

Man this is so informative, I love reading about health. Loved the tip josey just made. Its so difficult to find the right product for me. God knows I’ve tried! I’ve been looking now for 3 weeks! LOL Just want to let you all know I will make my goal one way or another. I promise you that! Wish me luck! :)

26. pintu kayu October 20, 2014 at 11:25 am #

My husband and i ended up being absolutely contented Michael could finish up his researching through your precious recommendations he had from your blog. It is now and again perplexing to just possibly be giving for free things which usually other people may have been trying to sell. We remember we have the blog owner to thank because of that. The most important illustrations you have made, the simple blog menu, the relationships you can aid to foster – it is all astonishing, and it’s assisting our son in addition to the family consider that this concept is thrilling, which is certainly unbelievably indispensable. Thank you for the whole lot!