Photography 101: The Radical Camera + New York’s Photo League

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

In the Shadow of the Capitol ● 1948 (Marion Palfi/The Jewish Museum/© 1998 Arizona Board of Regents)

Every so often, I discover or am reminded of tectonic shifts in photography that seem to be little-known by the exploding world of photographers. No harm, no foul; but in those cases, I feel feel a social + moral desire (obligation?) to occasionally point to these shifts.

One such case is New York’s Photo League – a collection of some of the most innovative, culturally relevant and influential photographers who took to the streets and showed us life as it had been rarely explored before. Photogs like Lisette Model or Weegee (featured earlier on my blog here), Avedon, Leipzig, Orkin and Weston. These and other photogs are genre-defining photojournalists who created stark and unwavering images that offered unique glimpses into a world that – until their groundbreaking work – was infrequently or even NOT explored by photography. Instead of posed images of families, the NYPL documented rampant social change, the great divide between classes, racial issues, the rise of music, the war, and images of New York City in the 40s (even going so far as being labeled “Communists” by the US government…). In short, we have these artists to thank for the way that photojournalism has evolved today. Spin through the image tabs above to sample their arresting work.

If this group or any of these names are unfamiliar to you, give a read here to get the cliff notes, and more importantly – if you’re able — the exhibition called Radical Camera which features an extensive body of this work is on display at the Columbus Museum of Art from now until September 9, 2012.

28 Responses to Photography 101: The Radical Camera + New York’s Photo League

1. Bárbara Herrnsdorf May 14, 2012 at 11:13 am #

Nice piece, Chase. Helps remind us not only of the power of photography, but about always reminding oneself that we have a social obligation to use ourselves and our talents and passions for the service and betterment of others – at least part of the time. This is the second time in two days that I am reminded of that, thank you. And, of course, the photos are amazing.

2. Marcin Retecki May 14, 2012 at 11:29 am #

Nowadays, everyone can be such photojournalist, with our ubiquitous cameras and camera-phones we can publish and show it everywhere. In the past, not everyone could document the world around them, and such people as Avedon or Weegee created the view on social issues that the world could observe. They often imposed their own point of view this way, but of course they created many beautiful and priceless images.

3. Kathleen May 14, 2012 at 11:45 am #

The 1940 Sievan is wonderfully funny & still very much apropos.

4. Michael R May 14, 2012 at 1:40 pm #

Weston? As in Edward? NYPL? I always think f/64

• Michael R May 14, 2012 at 9:07 pm #

Seems he was a supporter, not a member. But I’m still digging.

5. Geoff Moore May 14, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

By a strange coincidence I was looking at a book of Pulitzer Prize winning photographs,1960-1982 and thinking “they don’t make photos like that anymore”. These photographs fall into the same category. Nowadays images have to entertain, if only for a fraction of second or are heavily censored for public taste. I believe in photography driven social change – I just don’t know where the outlet for such images is anymore.

• Michael R May 14, 2012 at 9:09 pm #

Geoff, The web is the most accessible outlet that’s ever existed. There are plenty of print outlets too – Mother Jones, Rolling Stone, your local alternative weekly paper, Democracy Now …

Scads and scads of outlets.

6. G May 15, 2012 at 12:45 am #

Great stuff and still inspiration for today’s (great) photographers. “Steamfitter” – just check out Leibovitz’s photo of Martina Navratilova. We can all learn from the past. Not that much to do that hasn’t already been done before.

7. T May 15, 2012 at 12:53 am #

Good point Geoff. I think the pictures are there, but sometimes we just don’t see them. You just need to listen to Sebastio Salgado’s and why his Sahel pictures were never exhibited in the USA for such a long time (but all over Europe and elsewhere). Local editors found them too depressing for the local market.

8. RJ May 15, 2012 at 1:43 am #

Excellent article!

9. Dejan May 15, 2012 at 2:42 am #

Like! :) Good stuff – I really appreciate your shares and blog entries, fun and educational.

10. faisal May 15, 2012 at 5:29 am #

Super duper like, thanks for the share, fun and insightful

11. RvF May 15, 2012 at 7:52 am #

One of the major difference between photography in the past and this digital age is the overwhelming amount of images we are now surrounded with! And quantity rarely goes together with quality.This bombardment of images tend to bury the good and meaningful work of today photographers under a mount of meaningless and shallow trash! We just have to spend more time digging for it!!

12. Matt Simmons May 15, 2012 at 9:09 am #

The first image with the little girls and the capital dome in the background is just awesome. Poverty in the shadow of power. Speaks volumes!

13. Aaron Schaub May 15, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

I literally work across the street from the Columbus Museum of Art and have seen this exhibition in person. It is truly remarkable. It’s one thing to see these images sequentially in the slideshow above. It’s another thing to see them all together and exploded across the gallery space. You get to see not only the power of the images but how they evolved and a peek into the politics driving them. The CMA has done a great job with this exhibition. Go see it if you can.

14. Nomadic Samuel May 20, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

This is a fantastic piece and a great inspiration for today’s photographers.

15. Photography Girl May 28, 2012 at 2:51 am #

So lovely!

16. Pittsburgh PA Photographer For Hire May 30, 2012 at 1:41 am #

Nice presentation.

17. Karl Baker November 24, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

amazing photo – check out the curiosity in the childs eyes.

18. Miriam Danar June 19, 2014 at 9:11 pm #

Riveting – and inspiring, as well. Can’t wait to get back to the camera, after seeing these.

19. Joesph Bastien July 30, 2014 at 2:33 am #

I mentioned in my Rebbeca Van Dyck publish, I headed over on the new Facebook campus to photograph CSO (Chief Security Officer) Joe

20. castle clash hack apk android download August 13, 2014 at 7:56 am #

Good day! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established
    blog. Is it hard to set up your own blog? I’m not
    very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about
    setting up my own but I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any tips or suggestions?
    Cheers

21. sonic jump fever apk August 19, 2014 at 12:05 pm #

For hottest news you have to visit world wide web and
    on web I found this website as a finest web page for newest updates.

22. Walizkisklep.pl August 25, 2014 at 10:02 pm #

My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find many of your post’s to be just what I’m looking for. Would you offer guest writers to write content for yourself? I wouldn’t mind publishing a post or elaborating on many of the subjects you write related to here. Again, awesome web log!

23. Bennett Sexy September 8, 2014 at 3:36 am #

Touche. Solid arguments. Keep up the amazing spirit.|

24. Company Registration September 10, 2014 at 6:59 pm #

With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright violation? My site has a lot of unique content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement. Do you know any ways to help prevent content from being ripped off? I’d definitely appreciate it.

25. ammunition reloading press September 14, 2014 at 2:37 am #

My brother suggested I would possibly like this web site.
    He was once totally right. This put up actually made
    my day. You can not consider just how a lot time I had
    spent for this information! Thanks!

26. vitamin c serum with vitamin e September 15, 2014 at 3:26 pm #

I have seen plenty of useful issues on your website about pcs. However, I’ve got the impression that lap tops are still less than powerful adequately to be a sensible choice if you frequently do things that require many power, for instance video touch-ups. But for world wide web surfing, word processing, and quite a few other frequent computer work they are just fine, provided you cannot mind small screen size. Thank you for sharing your ideas.