How far can you go in one year?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next

Photos courtesy of Mike Horn and the Pangaea Expedition

It has been just over one year since my last encounter with the Pangaea. I met Mike Horn and his crew onboard the Pangaea in Seattle last summer shortly after our adventure in the South China Sea together (the chronicles of that trip are here and here). Now, by example of what can be accomplished in a year, consider for a moment that the Pangaea has traveled up and down both coasts of the USA, picked through the ice of northwest passage, wound their way through the islands of the Caribbean and sailed up the Amazon River before arriving here, not far from the birthplace of the Pangaea in Sao Paulo, Brazil. This distance is equivalent to sailing twice around the globe! Click through some of the photos above for a fast tour.

But what happens onboard and underway on the Pangea is much more than just these traveling these massive stretches of ocean miles. It is the action, education and this crew’s commitment to the idea of changing things on our planet for the better. Before I left on this trip, I posted about commitment and Mike’s example with the Pangaea. Mike’s expedition is educating youth and sending them to the front lines to make an impact on some of the ecological imbalances on our planet. It was this vision and total a commitment to this dream that manifested the Pangaea Expedition.

It was from just near here (in Guaruja grabbing some weak wifi in a canal where we are re-fueling for the Pangaea’s trans-atlantic crossing) 4 years ago in Sao Paulo that Mike created his own shipyard, hired workers from the favelas, purchased and hauled (by his own hand) the aluminum for the hull, and willed his dream of the Pangaea into reality and watched the 95-meter hull first touch the water not far from where I am writing this post.

Now, with 6 months left in the 4-year Pangaea expedition, the miles in the wake of this boat are mind-boggling. She has seen more than 140,000 miles, (10 Atlantic crossings and 2 Pacific crossings), Mike and his crew have educated more than 200 kids in the Young Explorers Program from ages 14-21 years old. These YEPs, as they are called, hail from 96 different countries and 6 continents in every corner of the world. Now, these environmental ambassadors, carry the message of sustainability back to their individual communities with the vivid stories that can only come from experiencing the planet’s most remote places in person. It is a powerful strategy that is working to create real action across the globe.

So after clicking through some of the photos above, ask yourself, What can you accomplish in just one year? The Pangaea is a great example of what is possible. There is no good reason to wait. Start today.

13 Responses to How far can you go in one year?

1. Jonny June 6, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Always makes me think of Greg Hill – Ski touring 2,000,000′ in one year. It’s amazing what can be accomplished by one fully committed person.

2. Eduardo Cassus June 6, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

Hi, Chase. Do you plan to visit Rio?

3. Chaser June 6, 2012 at 5:44 pm #

Chase, the old blog was so much better.. Now it’s really boring.. Look at the drastic drop in the amount of comments after the redesign..

• Chris June 7, 2012 at 9:04 am #

Proof positive of what a great UI designer gets paid for. Its dreadful – I agree.

Though the content hasn’t lacked… The Pangea posts have been awesome!

4. faisal June 7, 2012 at 5:16 am #

That is some distance to do in just a years time. Shows committment to the profession.

5. Ed June 7, 2012 at 6:04 am #

Wow! Speechless. They are seeing enough of the world to last many lifetimes. I’ve got to get out more.

6. Ryan Parker June 7, 2012 at 6:10 am #

What an amazing collection of images. Super inspiring…as I sit here in my office.

We can all take something from Mike Horn and be more adventurous. Even in our own cities there is something cool to see, and it only costs us the time to get out and do it.

(Take a camera.)

7. Larsen June 13, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

If you guys think it’s boring it’s probably because you’re boring. Just go with it and get over yourselves. I’m just saying.

8. taz August 6, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

Hey Chase,

I understand your admiration for the guy and the work you been doing promoting the travels of the Pangaea. However, I believe that the correct credits for the construction of this ship should be given…

9. q8d743c8rj May 26, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

These are soooo beautiful.

10. Francisco Felty June 8, 2014 at 12:14 am #

These templates appear awesome. I’ve a great idea for 1 of them.

1. Aiming Higher | Justin Horton's Blog - June 11, 2012

[...] can you accomplish in one year? That’s the title of a recent post by photographer Chase Jarvis that got me thinking about setting (and pursuing) bigger goals. And [...]

2. Aspiring Towards Bigger Goals - May 30, 2014