Inspiring New York City Time Lapse: The Manhattan Project

1 2 3 Next

I’m headed back to New York city this week. The city has a unique way of pushing photographers and filmmakers to be more creative. The constant pulse of visual inspiration is motivational. My own work has been given the occasional Big Apple boost – in fact, it was just one year ago that I wrapped up my Dasein: An Invitation to Hang installation at the Ace Hotel. The mini-doc and some of my conclusions on “An Experiment in Creative Living” in NYC, can be viewed here

Photographer/filmmaker Cameron Michael put out a time lapse of NYC that has been making the rounds the past couple of days (via PetaPixel and FStoppers). Cameron spent roughly 5 months on the project and carried 120 pounds of gear from location to location to capture the piece. It pokes around the entire city and highlights the gorgeous juxtaposition of activity that makes the city so incredible. Super cool homage to the city that never sleeps.

Click through the above tabs to check out two more time lapse videos from other cities I find inspiring: San Francisco and my hometown Seattle. [via Acadian Bay Photography and TimeFramesvideo respectively]

23 Responses to Inspiring New York City Time Lapse: The Manhattan Project

1. rjw June 11, 2012 at 9:52 am #

The pans, tilts and tracks are so smooth – how do you get such things done in a timelapse?

2. Joshua M. June 11, 2012 at 9:55 am #

I sincerely appreciate you guys and artist in general for greatly influencing culture and improving awareness of the world around us. I find every post to be motivating and inspiring. If only the amount of happiness/interest brought to people through art was a direct currency to provide income and well being for artist without physically needing to pay them. They deserve it.

3. Ed June 11, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

Amazing HDR/motion/time lapse by my pal Drew Geraci! http://vimeo.com/search?q=geraci

4. Neil June 11, 2012 at 4:06 pm #

How do they get the shots so smooth, brilliantly done!

5. Sid Pai June 11, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

Chase – you should also check out mindrelic.com. He has also documented NYC beautifully just like Cameron here.

6. Kunal June 11, 2012 at 11:41 pm #

“This website/URL has been blocked until further notice either pursuant to Court orders or on the Directions issued by the Department of Telecommunications” <- Woah man?

7. faisal June 12, 2012 at 6:06 am #

The video is not seen, it says not found,

8. RvF June 12, 2012 at 8:36 am #

Beautiful work, thanks for sharing.

9. Lorii Abela June 12, 2012 at 9:12 am #

Truly awesome shots!.. Thanks for sharing!

10. Reigo June 12, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

Oh my god, Thanks for shareing those truly awesome works.

11. Alex Cortez June 21, 2012 at 7:00 am #

must had been a video-captured timelapse. not a ‘still’ one. which explains the really smooth panning and beautiful forward-backward camera movements.

12. Euan August 28, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

Does anyone know what the background track is for this video? Absolutely love it!

13. Rusty Jimeson November 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

I located some data related to construction companies online that you might find an interest about.

14. My Blog Hacked June 19, 2013 at 12:19 am #

Howdy! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this post to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

15. Malinda June 3, 2014 at 7:45 pm #

Hi mates, pleasant piece of writing and good urging commented here,
    I am really enjoying by these.

16. Shayne B. Bawa October 9, 2014 at 8:24 am #

It’s really a great and useful piece of info.
    I am glad that you simply shared this helpful information with us.
    Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

17. canine polyester 10 October 12, 2014 at 8:25 am #

This web site really has all of the information I needed about this
    subject and didn’t know who to ask.

18. smoked single venison joes October 12, 2014 at 8:33 pm #

Spot on with this write-up, I really believe this web site needs much more attention. I’ll probably be back again to read
    more, thanks for the advice!

1. Amazing Manhattan Timelapse | Mark Gallagher Photography - June 11, 2012

[...] how amazing and busy the area is. Via fstoppers / Chase Jarvis This entry was posted in Inspiration. Bookmark the permalink. ← New Personal [...]

2. The Manhattan Project – Cameron Michael | Subjective Photography - June 11, 2012

[...] The Manhattan Project – Cameron Michael Now this is cool. New York City Time Photography Time-Lapse: The Manhattan Project | Chase Jarvis Blog. [...]

3. Time Lapse Roads - June 17, 2012

[...] are three time lapse roads in Portland. Times are from two seconds to 8 [...]

4. ACS Photography – (via Instapaper) - July 3, 2012

[...] Inspiring New York City Time Lapse: The Manhattan Project Share this:FacebookTwitterEmailShareDiggRedditPrintStumbleUpon /* [...]

5. Time Lapse Photography Roads - July 26, 2014

[...] Portland. Times are from two seconds to 8 seconds. This is technically not time lapse in the more traditional sense, but is still pretty fun to [...]