Legendary Rock ‘n’ Roll Photos

Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Photo: Jim Marshall

24 Responses to Legendary Rock ‘n’ Roll Photos

1. Allen Ross Thomas July 5, 2012 at 10:09 am #

Great set Chase. Jim Marshall is one of my greatest influences for the very reasons you cited. The level of trust and access the forefathers of music photography were able to establish is largely something we can only dream of in today’s contemporary music business.

-A

2. Cal July 5, 2012 at 10:13 am #

I wonder if it’s possible that in 30 years we’re going to look back on the music photography now and think any of it is legendary. I have to think not. The reason so many iconic photographs were made of these musicians is because it was everyone working together to build something. These days artists restrict access so much that everyone gets basically the same shots. Not to mention that when you’re shooting live you’re kicked out of the barricade before the show really even gets started.

• faisal July 6, 2012 at 5:15 am #

Certainly not, the days in the 70s were totally epic, in their own way.

3. Justin Thor Simenson July 5, 2012 at 10:28 am #

These are some great photos, they capture a great time in music too!

You should also check out another great photographer of this time, Douglas Kent Hall. http://www.douglaskenthall.com/

Thanks for sharing this Chase!

4. Far July 5, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

Well, people in the photos are legends. But I really wouldn’t call the photos legendary. People might see this as legendary photographs maybe because they cant shoot celebrities like these even if they wanted to. Lack of money, fame and connections maybe?

I really love the articles posted on this blog, except for this one… I respect Jim as a photographer, but I really don’t see the legend in legendary photos here.

I’m a fine art photography student, so it’s just my opinion. Some of the photos tell stories here, but most of them don’t. It’s just shots of famous people.

• Mark Sass July 5, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

You’re quite right. But Marshall wasn’t a fine art photographer and it might be inappropriate to apply fine art rules and standards to his body of work.

• Mark Sass July 5, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

That by any means should not mean, that any of it has a higher value than the other.

5. Colby July 5, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

EMP will have some previously unseen Jim Marshall photos of The Rolling Stones starting in August for a few months.

6. G Allard July 5, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Dylan w/tire and Miles in the ring are effing fantastic. Had the pleasure of meeting Jim back in 2009 for an APA event. His body of work has so many iconic images and that level of trust is at the core of every single one. He told a story of being onstage shooting that classic Hendrix shot (#4) and that he did it with a 24mm lens. Shows you how close we was really able to get to his subjects — both figuratively and literally.

7. Chris Blizzard July 6, 2012 at 1:52 am #

Some great shots, and yes, I wish I could get that kind of access (I’m working on it, and I’m building some relationships) but I also think it’s good that it’s hard to get. If everyone was given that access, the dressing rooms would get kinda full, there’s be no room left on stage for the band, and the tour buses would smell even worse…

What I’ve found interesting recently, which show up in these shots too, is that often, with film shots, minor technical issues such as focus not being quite right, or shadows in the eyes, are tolerated, or possibly even ignored. With digital, they’re not, and shots are thrown away because of them. (No real point to that speech there, but I thought it was interesting)

8. Christy Harper July 6, 2012 at 2:13 am #

I love these images! Thanks for the great inspiration :)

9. Craig M July 6, 2012 at 6:34 am #

I heard Morrison punched him in the face right after that shot was taken. Only kidding!

10. Jon Tiffin July 6, 2012 at 7:28 am #

In this day and age, why is the quote being sensored? Did Jim really put an asterisk in the middle of his fuck?

Amazing body of work, I’m just sayin’.

11. Bjørn Jansen July 6, 2012 at 8:17 am #

Hi Chase, i am not sure why are these shots are Epic. The Bands are epic, thats right. But these picture do not show any kind of Rock ´n Roll. I am Music Photographer for 9 years and i think i have done more epic shots than these.

I love your blog but this entry is :(

Rock on

Bjørn

• R John April 3, 2013 at 1:30 am #

I’m with you Bjorn, the majority of these images are nothing more than grainy snapshots.
      If others deem them important because of the subject matter then so be it.
      There again if the photographer had such unlimited and unhindered access, then there’s really no excuse for producing photographs of such low quality.
      Saying that I do actually like one or two of them – at least the image of Johnny Cash has got some shadow on his miserable face.

12. eddieBaba July 8, 2012 at 9:51 am #

These are “Legendary Photos” because time has its imprint on them. Marshall used his personality to get his subjects in focus and make these legendary shots possible. Young and inexperienced photographers may not understand this, but as time passes they will. There is showing going on now WHO SHOT ROCK & ROLL at the Annenberg Space for Photography that you should see if you get the chance. Jim’s well represented there. This is GREAT STUFF Chase!!!

13. Свадебный Фотограф July 25, 2012 at 6:37 am #

“I worked hard but I never really considered it work. I always enjoyed myself and only took an assignment if I had complete control and access. My reputation was such that managers didn’t f*ck with me. I had the trust of the artist. I would work with them and they knew I wouldn’t f*ck around or do anything they didn’t like.” – my Hero!

14. Isaac Hillman December 23, 2012 at 2:14 am #

Thanks for the brillian post

15. Clement Sodachanh January 6, 2013 at 6:17 am #

You have brought positive a very magnificent points , thankyou for the post.

16. 川野 杏树 May 25, 2013 at 3:35 am #

I had been wondering if you ever considered replacing the layout of your website? Its well written; I love what you have got to say. But maybe you can add a little more in the way of written content so people can connect with it better. You have got a great deal of wording for only having one or two images. Maybe you can space it out better?

17. フェラガモ シューズ May 26, 2013 at 9:20 am #

Deference to op , some wonderful information . “If you don’t leap, you’ll never know what it’s like to fly.” by Guy Finley.

18. Dedra Kritter June 28, 2014 at 10:59 am #

Hey amiga!!! I love the dress but… I think the top is SO YOU!! So colorful and free flowing- that’s my choice for you. You’ll produce a splash in either. I love the Limited but haven’t shopped there inside of a while- thanks for that reminder. Hugs!!

19. Ali Tartar July 25, 2014 at 4:00 pm #

analytics platform

20. Demetrius Kinnear August 8, 2014 at 9:29 pm #

After looking over a few of the blog articles on your site, I really like your way of writing a blog. I book-marked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back in the near future. Please visit my website as well and let me know your opinion.