The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

“We shall never cease from striving – and the end of all our striving is to arrive where we began and to know the place for the first time.” -TS Eliot

Stephen Covey passed on today at 79.

The following is pulled from his 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. I admit to have gleaned a few important morsels out of this book when a coach made me read it in college. I”m banking you will get something from it to.

Dont forget to “sharpen the saw.”

++++++++++
(The first three habits are called “Character ethics.” The second three habits are called “Personality ethics”)

#1 Be Proactive – Take responsibility for your own life: Have a Personal Vision

-behavior based on value vs feelings based on conditions
-proactive people carry the weather within (no such thing as bad weather) them and make the best of situations. Reactive people go the other way. Rainy day ruins everything.
-dont blame other people and circumstances for your happiness
-you have the power to choose
-your basic nature is to act and not be acted upon

Example: Man’s Search For Meaning By Victor Frankel
-how you deal with suffering
-the last ultimate freedom – “They could hurt my body.. but not hurt me”
-Conclusion: You are responsible for your own happiness and fulfilment

#2 Begin with the end in mind: Leadership Habit

-write you value system
-top line – what is it that we’re fundamentally about?
-dont tie yourself to history but to potential

#3 First thing first: Management Habit

-manage things but LEAD people. Dont manage people.
-can take control of time and events – as seeing how they relate to you mission
-reorganizing your life around your mission and then having the discipline to make it happen
-important vs urgent – must act upon it. Ringing phone.
-QUADRANTS: IMPORTANT (See Diagram Above)
Quadrant 1: urgent + important
Quadrant 2: not urgent + important: exercise, reading, relationships, education, etc
Quadrant 3: urgent + not important
Quadrant 4: not urgent + not important

PERSONALITY HABITS

#4 Think Win-Win
-agree to communicate until “we can find a solution we both feel good about”
-create new options – new alternatives

#5 Seek First to Understand… Then to be Understood
-Example: Try – “let me listen to you first”
-As opposed to the “collective monologue/ dialogue of the deaf”
-first listen – then talk

#6 Creative Synergy
-Creative solutions
-compromise = 1+1 = 1.5
-synergy = 1+1 = 5
-better solutions than alone
-authority vs martyrdom – win-lose or lose-win
-create Win-win OR no deal
-if we cannot get to win win – then lets go for no deal
-approach synergy with an abundance mentality

#7 Self Renewal: Sharpening the Saw
-Review and renew – teach then live

Common sense is NOT common practice

++++++

You can purchase Covey’s book here
And watch a great little video about “The Big Rocks” here

38 Responses to The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

1. Croquis July 16, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

So agree with those points.
    Be Proactif if you want to gain time, be efficient and produce.

2. John Barclay July 16, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

His landmark book 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is still one of the best books I’ve ever read. Highly recommended. He will be missed.

3. Nathaniel Dodson July 16, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

Being proactive and having grit & persistence is huge!
    Great post, Chase. Stephen Covey was a smart man.

4. Braden Talbot July 16, 2012 at 7:15 pm #

7 Habits was my first self-help books almost a decade ago. I’m not so much into it anymore, but it changed my life tremendously (paradigm shifts).

Sad day,

5. faisal July 17, 2012 at 6:10 am #

That is a lot of activities and well needed to ensure a good and long successful stint at what you do.

6. jason (AEPOC) July 17, 2012 at 10:41 am #

“agree to communicate until “we can find a solution we both feel good about” Love that one.

7. ERDOĞAN USTA July 17, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

hello

8. Girish July 18, 2012 at 1:42 am #

Haven’t read that book, but I will now, have to borrow it from my father.

I saw Guy Kawasaki’s interview and then bought the book Enchantment, it has helped me lot. Am sure this book will too.

RIP Stephen Covey

9. jon chiang July 18, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

I can’t believe this post only has 9 comments!

Such an influential book, a must read.

10. Matt Smith July 19, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Another solid book find from a CV post. Good stuff.

11. jlawr July 19, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

I met Stephen Covey once at one of his conferences about twenty years ago.
    He said the thing he feared most was “entropy’ If you don’t work the plan every day — all turns to chaos.
    He could never make companies create the “habit of success”
    Tamara Lackey recently said, “Willingness is endless, but will power runs out.
    …so hard to keep trying daily

12. Sean September 11, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

Thanks for your great post. Anyone interested can read the lastest FranklinCovey book (4 Disciplines of Execution) with a 45% discount- 4DISSEPT14. This discount only works until Friday so don’t miss out. http://bit.ly/4dxsept

13. Dale Lave November 20, 2012 at 9:56 pm #

That appears pretty riveting, if you don’t mind, I’m sending you a p.m. about all this. best regards

14. Lawana Rigsby November 20, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

This seems pretty interesting, if thats ok with you, I’m writing you a p.m. about this post. Have a good day!

15. Mitsue Oliviera January 6, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

One of the more impressive blogs Ive seen. Thanks so a large amount representing keeping the internet fashionable for a vary. Youve got style, class, bravado. I represent it. Please save it cheery because without the internet is definitely wanting in intelligence.

16. Samantha Bagnato March 26, 2013 at 3:33 am #

I was just in search of this facts for some time. Immediately after 6 hrs of continuous Googleing, at very last I bought it as part of your world-wide-web web site. I wonder what’s the lack of Search engines tactic that do not rank this sort of informative internet websites in top rated of your record. Typically the top rated net internet sites are full of garbage.

17. religion March 31, 2013 at 2:23 am #

I’m impressed, I must say. Definitely almost never do I encounter a weblog that’s every single educative and entertaining, and let me permit you know, you may have hit the nail on the head. Your believed is outstanding; the difficulty is one thing that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I’m really fully happy that I stumbled throughout this in my find for some thing relating to this.

18. Penelope Kindall April 24, 2013 at 6:43 am #

This web site is certainly as a substitute helpful considering that I am along with the second developing an online floral website irrespective of the fact that I’m only commencing out for a result it is truly relatively little, nothing in any way similar to this online web-site. Can internet site url to some from the posts ideal here because they are fairly. Many thanks considerably. Zoey Olsen

19. Christian Louboutin Outlet April 30, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

This classic destroyed shirt is manufactured and retailed in the US by Alternative Apparel.. , has manufactured hosiery products since 1927. If you want to use this tremendous Canadian site, you better use it while you can. Despite that, the battle damaged Apollo Creed figure from Rocky II is a solid figure..

20. arkusze maturalne 2013 May 1, 2013 at 12:10 am #

“If I make yet another one particular, I am going to clean up lots of the construct and will almost certainly make the Instructable then :-)

21. Fat Burner May 1, 2013 at 9:13 am #

Thanks for the tips you have provided here. Also, I believe usually there are some factors which keep your car insurance premium down. One is, to bear in mind buying cars that are inside good set of car insurance corporations. Cars which have been expensive tend to be at risk of being stolen. Aside from that insurance coverage is also using the value of the car, so the costlier it is, then the higher the particular premium you have to pay.

22. polo shirts men May 2, 2013 at 2:44 am #

Lacoste Mens polo shirt Gentlemen Trendy Impression

23. Klara Deblasi May 3, 2013 at 1:53 am #

Good ¡V I should definitely pronounce, impressed with your website. I had no trouble navigating through all tabs as well as related information ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it in the least. Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or something, site theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate. Nice task..

24. Security Grilles May 14, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say great blog!

25. roberto May 15, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

Non mi capita mai di fare commenti sui blog che leggo, ma in questo caso faccio un’eccezione, perché il blog merita davvero e voglio scriverlo a chiare lettere.

26. yamaha portable grand May 17, 2013 at 10:33 am #

After I initially left a comment I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now whenever a comment is added I get four emails with the exact same comment. There has to be a way you can remove me from that service? Cheers!

27. Pure Raspberry Ketones May 19, 2013 at 3:56 am #

I’m curious to find out what blog system you’re working with? I’m experiencing some minor security problems with my latest website and I’d like to find something more safeguarded. Do you have any suggestions?

28. divorce mediation Orange county June 8, 2013 at 9:40 am #

Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months of hard work due to no data backup. Do you have any methods to prevent hackers?

29. water damage June 14, 2013 at 1:05 pm #

i am a movie addict and i watch many film in just one particular night, the greatest film for me is Somewhere In Tome;

30. Karaoke hard drive June 26, 2013 at 11:27 pm #

It is laborious to find educated individuals on this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re speaking about! Thanks

31. Pure Yacon Diet June 5, 2014 at 2:58 am #

Good day I am so glad I found your weblog, I really found you by error, while I was searching on Bing for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say cheers for
    a tremendous post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the
    theme/design), I don’t have time to browse it all at the moment but I have book-marked
    it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to
    read a lot more, Please do keep up the awesome work.

32. topraspberryketones.webs.com July 21, 2014 at 5:09 pm #

My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different website and thought I might
    as well check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you.
    Look forward to looking over your web page yet again.

33. jewelry making supplys August 7, 2014 at 9:06 am #

At this time, a young man ffrom Chaozhou, hand carrying a heavy suitcase into the trunk
    ill often open hundreds of string pearl necklace
    displayed in front of people, many hearts filled
    with hugfe smooth, clear and bright , a dazzling pearl, so that onlookers amazed.
    Some seedds need to stay warm too germinate and others have to be put in a refrigerator.
    Assemble the statue; pieces only go a certain way so try again, its
    not difficult.

34. External battery charger for samsung galaxy s5 September 16, 2014 at 12:48 am #

Cool

35. David Wattles September 21, 2014 at 4:29 am #

Some truly quality articles on this site, bookmarked .

1. Stephen Covey, Author of '7 Habits' Self-Help Book, Dies at 79 - GROWGENIC - July 16, 2012

[...] Post – BBONews.com7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey (A PUA Book Review)The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People /* Thanks to Web Designer Wall for writing about this technique: [...]

2. Los 7 Hábitos de la Gente Altamente Efectiva | DistroGeek - July 19, 2012

[...] post es la adaptación a español de la publicación realizada por Chase Jarvis en su [...]

3. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People | keerthigan14 - March 26, 2013

[...] http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2012/07/the-7-habits-of-highly-effective-people/ [...]