Blue Plate Special: the Proud Women of USA Diners and their Food

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Photo: Stephen Shaher

Jerard here from Chase’s crew. I love a good road trip. There’s nothing like the freedom and discovery of hitting the road with no real destination, no particular schedule and nothing but miles as your mission. I’ve driven the blue highways across the whole of America almost twenty times. Four times on a motorcycle. In all of those miles, there are some memories that fade into the blur of asphalt and double-yellow lines. But there other things that jump out with precise clarity. For whatever reason, food and the people who serve the food, are often among these memories. Places like the Hogs Breath Saloon, a watering hole somewhere between Kansas and Colorado. “Hog’s Breath is better than no breath!” BBQ beef on a kaiser and I can remember the way the waitress chewed her gum.

Hog’s Breath is better than no breath. -waitress between Kansas and Colorado

Swiss photographer Stephen Shaher took a massive road trip across America and created a fun project out of diner food and the characters who served it. The images feel real. You can smell the food and hear the voices of these waitresses. Design You Trust featured the work a while back (with the names and food order explained to boot) and while I dont think that Food&Wine magazine is going to be calling for any food photography from this project, the personality that comes through in these pairings of server and plates of diner cuisine is palpable. It makes me want to head back out on the road and find some hidden gems of Americana. Click through the tabs above to see Shaher’s series from his 2004 journey across the USA.

21 Responses to Blue Plate Special: the Proud Women of USA Diners and their Food

1. Nick Botner August 2, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

I came here looking for Hogs Breath Saloon in Key West. :)

2. Jonathan Yates August 3, 2012 at 7:24 am #

Great book, bought it years ago, great journeys – need to be photographed…

• faisal August 4, 2012 at 5:08 am #

Very unique idea. Its an enjoyable trip but the niche is so unique.

3. TobyB August 7, 2012 at 7:04 am #

Excellent project, very original. I wish we had American diners here in England, this has made me hungry.

4. 4rywv6989nm May 26, 2013 at 11:55 pm #

I discovered your weblog site on google and check a couple of of your early posts. Proceed to keep up the superb operate. I simply extra up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Searching for forward to reading extra from you afterward!…

5. Malissa Freudenburg September 22, 2014 at 10:09 am #

I simply can not locate a place here to order a subscribtion to “Letters in the Mail” to get a present or two and also for myself.It sounds like a wonderful idea and several of my good friends is going to be delighted to receive letters in the mail….Diane

6. Robert Lassiter October 3, 2014 at 10:03 pm #

Awesome!, I love reading about health. Loved the tip rainey just made. Its so difficult to find the right product for me. I’ve been looking now for 3 weeks! LOL Just want to let you all know I will make my goal one way or another. I promise you that! Wish me luck! :)

7. Irs Tax Lawyer October 7, 2014 at 8:49 am #

Sensible Methods In Looking For A Tax Attorney – Some Thoughts

8. Braveran opinie October 16, 2014 at 1:08 pm #

Its great as your other posts : D, appreciate it for putting up.

9. Harlan October 17, 2014 at 10:51 am #

It’s really a col and helpfvul piec of info. I am happy
    that you shared this hellpful information with us.
    Plase keep uus infformed llike this. Thanks for sharing.

10. Lyndon October 17, 2014 at 11:51 pm #

Do youu have a spam issue onn this blog; I aso am a blogger, aand I was wondering
    your situation; many off uss hqve developed ome nice pocedures aand we aree looking too exchange solutions wih orher folks, wwhy nnot shoot me an email iff
    interested.

11. http://cadenet.handball.free.fr October 19, 2014 at 5:07 am #

great put up, very informative. I’m wonering why the opposite expewrts of this sector don’tnotice this.
    Yoou shojld conntinue your writing. I am sure, you’ve a
    geeat readers’ basde already!

12. furniture singapore October 31, 2014 at 1:51 am #

I like this site because so significantly valuable material on here : D.

13. hotel frankfurt oder November 7, 2014 at 4:30 am #

One other important issue is that if you are a senior citizen, travel insurance with regard to pensioners is something that is important to really consider. The mature you are, a lot more at risk you might be for having something undesirable happen to you while in most foreign countries. If you are not necessarily covered by many comprehensive insurance plan, you could have several serious complications. Thanks for sharing your ideas on this web site.

14. here November 8, 2014 at 7:56 pm #

I’ve been surfing online greater than three hours these days, but I by no means located any fascinating post like yours. It¡¦s beautiful value sufficient for me. In my view, if all internet site owners and bloggers made excellent content as you probably did, the net will likely be a great deal a lot more valuable than ever before.

15. logiciel de comptabilite November 12, 2014 at 4:39 am #

incroyable article, merci beaucoup.

16. tipps zum abnehmen November 19, 2014 at 11:21 pm #

Analysis exhibits that dividing ’3 meals a day’ into 6 smaller healthy meals will assist boost your metabolism.

17. Tyisha Glymph November 21, 2014 at 8:44 pm #

Be thankful for this reason post, I’m a big fan of the web site should go on updated.

18. Asus Zenfone 5 November 26, 2014 at 6:58 pm #

Thanks to its high pixel resolution, it is capable
    of taking high quality still images with the minimum of fuss due to
    features such as touch focus, autofocus and face & smile
    detection. Both the Samsung Galaxy S4 and i – Phone 6
    offer onboard memory options starting at 16 GB, but you can insert
    up to a 64 GB micro – SD card into a Galaxy S4, adding more room for your videos and pictures.
    While the rest of the smartphones on this list run on Android,
    the i – Phone runs on i – OS.

19. Justine Chor December 15, 2014 at 9:05 pm #

Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made good content material as you probably did, the net might be much more helpful than ever before.|

1. Grasp Your Worry & Discover Your Voice [with My Homie Tim Ferriss] | TiaMart Blog - June 19, 2014

[...] marketing campaign. Perhaps it’s a photojournalism street journey throughout America documenting classic diners. It doesn’t matter. The purpose is you’re sitting on it. Why? Worry, in all [...]