Blue Plate Special: the Proud Women of USA Diners and their Food

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Photo: Stephen Shaher

Jerard here from Chase’s crew. I love a good road trip. There’s nothing like the freedom and discovery of hitting the road with no real destination, no particular schedule and nothing but miles as your mission. I’ve driven the blue highways across the whole of America almost twenty times. Four times on a motorcycle. In all of those miles, there are some memories that fade into the blur of asphalt and double-yellow lines. But there other things that jump out with precise clarity. For whatever reason, food and the people who serve the food, are often among these memories. Places like the Hogs Breath Saloon, a watering hole somewhere between Kansas and Colorado. “Hog’s Breath is better than no breath!” BBQ beef on a kaiser and I can remember the way the waitress chewed her gum.

Hog’s Breath is better than no breath. -waitress between Kansas and Colorado

Swiss photographer Stephen Shaher took a massive road trip across America and created a fun project out of diner food and the characters who served it. The images feel real. You can smell the food and hear the voices of these waitresses. Design You Trust featured the work a while back (with the names and food order explained to boot) and while I dont think that Food&Wine magazine is going to be calling for any food photography from this project, the personality that comes through in these pairings of server and plates of diner cuisine is palpable. It makes me want to head back out on the road and find some hidden gems of Americana. Click through the tabs above to see Shaher’s series from his 2004 journey across the USA.

If you knew off any message boards that cover the same topics discussed in this article, very god site you have here but I was curious? I’d enjoy to take part in neighborhood exactly where I can get answers off their well-informed people that share exactly the same curiosity. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Cheers a great deal!

Justine Chor says:

Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made good content material as you probably did, the net might be much more helpful than ever before.|

Thanks to its high pixel resolution, it is capable
of taking high quality still images with the minimum of fuss due to
features such as touch focus, autofocus and face & smile
detection. Both the Samsung Galaxy S4 and i – Phone 6
offer onboard memory options starting at 16 GB, but you can insert
up to a 64 GB micro – SD card into a Galaxy S4, adding more room for your videos and pictures.
While the rest of the smartphones on this list run on Android,
the i – Phone runs on i – OS.

Be thankful for this reason post, I’m a big fan of the web site should go on updated.

Analysis exhibits that dividing ‘3 meals a day’ into 6 smaller healthy meals will assist boost your metabolism.

incroyable article, merci beaucoup.

here says:

I’ve been surfing online greater than three hours these days, but I by no means located any fascinating post like yours. It¡¦s beautiful value sufficient for me. In my view, if all internet site owners and bloggers made excellent content as you probably did, the net will likely be a great deal a lot more valuable than ever before.

One other important issue is that if you are a senior citizen, travel insurance with regard to pensioners is something that is important to really consider. The mature you are, a lot more at risk you might be for having something undesirable happen to you while in most foreign countries. If you are not necessarily covered by many comprehensive insurance plan, you could have several serious complications. Thanks for sharing your ideas on this web site.

I like this site because so significantly valuable material on here : D.

great put up, very informative. I’m wonering why the opposite expewrts of this sector don’tnotice this.
Yoou shojld conntinue your writing. I am sure, you’ve a
geeat readers’ basde already!

Lyndon says:

Do youu have a spam issue onn this blog; I aso am a blogger, aand I was wondering
your situation; many off uss hqve developed ome nice pocedures aand we aree looking too exchange solutions wih orher folks, wwhy nnot shoot me an email iff
interested.

Harlan says:

It’s really a col and helpfvul piec of info. I am happy
that you shared this hellpful information with us.
Plase keep uus infformed llike this. Thanks for sharing.

Its great as your other posts : D, appreciate it for putting up.

Sensible Methods In Looking For A Tax Attorney – Some Thoughts

Awesome!, I love reading about health. Loved the tip rainey just made. Its so difficult to find the right product for me. I’ve been looking now for 3 weeks! LOL Just want to let you all know I will make my goal one way or another. I promise you that! Wish me luck! :)

I simply can not locate a place here to order a subscribtion to “Letters in the Mail” to get a present or two and also for myself.It sounds like a wonderful idea and several of my good friends is going to be delighted to receive letters in the mail….Diane

4rywv6989nm says:

I discovered your weblog site on google and check a couple of of your early posts. Proceed to keep up the superb operate. I simply extra up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Searching for forward to reading extra from you afterward!…

TobyB says:

Excellent project, very original. I wish we had American diners here in England, this has made me hungry.

Jonathan Yates says:

Great book, bought it years ago, great journeys – need to be photographed…

faisal says:

Very unique idea. Its an enjoyable trip but the niche is so unique.

Nick Botner says:

I came here looking for Hogs Breath Saloon in Key West. :)