New Work from Wieden & Kennedy: Southern Comfort: “Beach”

This new TV spot from Weiden & Kennedy for Southern Comfort is turning some heads. It debuted a few days ago on TV and has been bouncing around the internet making people smile since. If you’re a filmmaker or a photographer and this doesn’t make you want to create something original – I don’t know what will.

Ad Age Reports:
Neal Arthur, managing director at Wieden & Kennedy, contrasted the spot with other liquor ads that he said create “contrived images of the consumer.”

The “consumer that we were talking to [is] really just looking for the confidence and the appreciation for being as you are,” he said. “We very intentionally tried to create work that isn’t ‘trying’ and doesn’t feel like it is contrived in any way.”

Dryer says:

I have read your article, this is a very good article “%title%”, of course, you can also check my site:
Dryer http://disqus.com/Dryingmachines/

Sara Colohan, founder of Tassels burlesque club, reports “a huge return to the idea of underwear as outerwear. They’re always beautifully finished, so there’s a cheeky fun element and the basic ‘sex’ sentiment is softened. I honestly think men find that even sexier than seeing women topless,” she adds. “Any time I wear them I certainly feel incredible even when I’m wearing a plain black wrap dress, I feel more confident.”

Nice post. I was checking constantly this weblog and I’m impressed! Extremely useful information specifically the ultimate phase :) I deal with such information a lot. I was seeking this certain information for a long time. Thanks and good luck. | bewerbungsfotos München USA visum fotos http://www.fotostudioaugenblicke.de

Hello my friend! I want to say that this article is awesome, nice written and include approximately all vital infos. I would like to peer more posts like this .| dr oz garcinia http://www.pure-garcinia-cambogia.org

Greate post. Keep writing such kind of information on your page. Im really impressed by your site.

financial says:

Wow, marvelous blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging glance easy. The entire glance of your website is fantastic, as neatly as the content material!

Currently it sounds like WordPress is the preferred blogging platform available right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?|

tyflas says:

Hi i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace, when i read this post i thought i could also create comment due to this good post.|

You really make it seem so easy together with your presentation however I in finding this topic to be really something that I feel I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward in your subsequent submit, I’ll attempt to get the dangle of it!| agate cameos pendant http://www.goldmemoriesforever.com

I will immediately grasp your rss as I can not in finding your email subscription link or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please permit me know in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.| tickets air flight http://www.funtraveldeals.com/book-flights/

James Davis says:

My family loves this commercial, They always say “dad here is that guy that looks like you”.
It makes want to drink Southern Comfort, It creates a smile just watching the commercial.

Michelle says:

One word for him – Hot!!!- southern comfort equals sexy

Bertie Vogts says:

Hi, my friend Pete was so inspired by this advert that he made us film him recreating it on a freezing cold football pitch in the North of England in December:

I hope you enjoy his efforts… All in the name of a good cause (and a bottle of Southern Comfort so he could warm up afterwards), the local Children’s Hospital:

Philm says:

Brilliant Ad all these folks saying coulda, shoulda got to the point earlier RUBBISH! The only things a truly good AD needs are catchy music people are gonna wanna listen to again this has it, a catchy scene where we could all imagine ourselves and a brand in there somewhere job done! And the fact I know of atleast four forums talking about this AD speaks for its self really in fact I fancy a southern comfort!!!!!!!

abe says:

It says to me, “Southern comfort drinkers, are like this”, as a result, I have stopped drinking “Southern comfort”. I now drink like the people portrayed in TV Ads that are in nightclubs and having fun,

Hobert Lawn says:

Thanks for that article

Ross Hewitt says:

I think it’s supercool, favourite advert this year by a country mile. I wanna be that guy in 20 years.

Speaks to me, I can’t relate to young pretty people in clubs any more so most spirit adverts just put me off, but I get this, good work W&K :)

the hooded claw says:

this is what I’m talking about:

Anonymous says:

It has _no_ resemblance too that Brosnan scene other swim trunks and an alsoholic beverage.
“Hooded Claw” you’ll understand this ad when you get older.

the hooded claw says:

you lot are useless!! it’s a rip off of Matador… its from the scene where Pierce Brosnan steams thru a hotel lobby wearing only his trunks and boots holding a can of beer, steps into a pool and rips it open and takes a long swig… still funny tho

Anonymous says:

So tru iv been thinking that for a while.

morgan mark says:

Fantastic Ad…i must have watched this ad 100 times today. Never seen it before. My wife was like you will never be able to strut like that guy but go out and get me some southern comfort right now cause i want to fuck you…that’s what makes this ad perfect.

Hollywood says:

This ad “Beach” is FANTASTIC!!! The dude is extremely sexy and I would rather hang (or walk) with him, than anyone else on that beach! His body is perfect and he exudes confidence that chicks are drawn to….no one questions his manliness- in other words-he has experience and knows what he wants and knows what to do when he gets it. He has nothing to prove. If I could get close to that kind of confidence, then Southern Comfort is the spirit for me! What is this fella’s name? LOL! Hook me up!

The most uninteresting guy in the world says:

Matt Simmons and Richard Lutz obviously know NOTHING about advertising….
The ad will win awards AND promote its brand.

brett says:

This hits every 40+ year old right in their soft spot. I’m 49 and I have a giant body of work behind me, I’m not special, most guys (and girls) do at our age.
We should be able to walk down a beach with this kind of confidence and pride.
This reminds us that we can.
It should remind the young and fair that we deserve every bit of respect.
love it

bonzo says:

No – what ir does is to let them see that you have a dead mouse down your knickers

boris says:

well said brett

ishmael says:

reminds me of bill murray in rushmore, especially the pool scene

Crunchy says:

Spot on, Reefer. On everything, including the previous posters. This ad is extraordinary.

catlick says:

OMG, I LOVE this guy! He exudes confidence and sexiness….He is so perfect for this commercial. Is he single???

boris says:

We all want him

Amor Fatah says:

I WISH I looked like that guy! The ad is effective, imho, in your face unconventional looks but inner self confidence and dont give a fk attitude. It gets your attention since we are so used to the impossibly beautiful and young looking very haughty, aware of being watched and admired, this guy doesnt care if he is being watched and doesnt care if anyone is laughing at him. It is the Donald Trump lesson of life – even if you look ridiculous if you project inner confidence, people will pick up on that and begin to suspect their own judgment of your ridiculousness.

Anonymous says:

Is everybody BLiND??? This guy is the silverback, the lion king — surveying his dangerously competitive domain. He struts the beach with no challengers…and the females are still checking him out (watch closely). He’s still powerful, confident, with enough success to display a slight paunch, and enough discretion to choose Southern Comfort, some bad-ass shoes, and a swimsuit that does what he wants it to do…soooooo works for me.

boris says:

I love it he is JUST like my friend just so comfortable in his own skin and they are great people to be around

Anonymous says:

any body know who the song is by?????????

gotta b me says:

Odette

neilsp1 says:

its by odette and called hit or miss not gotta be me

reefer says:

You nay-saying dissers apparently know very little about advertising. You sound like a profile of 20-25 years old going nowhere in a marketing firm, and wishing for a career change. Watch Southern Comfort’s stock in the next month or so.
This ad is a masterpiece. Congrats to W&K. Now…W&K….give the creator his due!!!!! Don’t blame it on his supervisor…

Leslie says:

I agree, brilliant ad campaign. It’s memorable, cuts through the clutter and has been executed exceptionally well through various mediums. You don’t have to like the message, but the strategy is fab!

boris says:

I couldn’t agree more

Hey There Blog,
This might be off topic, however, Cash loans for car titles are offered by various banks and other financial establishments that are used to appeal to customers and offer them a different kind of loan. These special loans offer various options to customers that are very different than other kinds of loans that are offered. These loans allow you to receive a cash loan in return for the title to your car and you receive the title back only after repaying the loan.
Keep up the posts!
Jonathan@themagicalsecrets

c.d.embrey says:

If it doesn’t grab-them-by-the-throat imeadiatly, you’ve lost the viewer. By the time the product is revealed, the channel flipper is watching another channel.

They may win a Cleo, but I doubt it will sell much product.

phep says:

So agree.. I couldn’t remember the drink…!!!

Heath says:

Nice.

That last shot reminds me of this one by Martin Parr, taken in Western Australia as part of his recent “No Worries” series.

Richard Lutz says:

I’m currently studying advertising and I’ve always been impressed by W+K. But this ad sucks. They could’ve got the point across in 15 seconds, but it goes on and on. I expect better.

Matt Simmons says:

I totally agree with R. Lutz. The song was cute, but dude walking on a beach for what seemed like an hour is not that interesting. And for them to say this isn’t a “contrived” image is bullshit. Having a tubby dude in a speedo with dress shoes on, a mustache, and the 70’s glasses is a totally contrived image. That’s not what the average consumer looks like. Gimme a break.

gotta b me says:

Well they certainly have people talking and that is exactly what advertising is all about. You are thinkin’ about Southern comfort. Anddd…who hasn’t seen a guy like this at the beach or the pool? Some of us still have an uncle or two just like him,,,lol. not sayin…just sayin. Only thing missing is the gold chain .PERFECT. Love this ad.

Anonymous says:

how do you know what the average consumer looks like? …..if you knew you would be a millionaire!

boris says:

this is the best advert possibly ever – it deserves all the attention its getting and you are giving it some too!

Anonymous says:

You don’t know much

This is the Type of really cool People that i want to Portrait. :)

Jim says:

I remember Southern Comfort from my younger years..in a word…Smooth.

faisal says:

Hearing it for the first time but looks super cool.

bonzo says:

Looks like he has a dead mouse stuck down his knockers!