Sailing the Cape of Storms – South African Photo Shoot Kicks Off [On Location]

We’re down in Cape Town, South Africa on a photo shoot with my great friend, world renowned explorer Mike Horn on the second installment of our four-part global expedition in collaboration with Polyform. You might recall we were down in Brazil with Mike not too long ago. It took our crew almost two full days to fly from Seattle to Cape Town, South Africa. This is my first trip to Cape Town and let me tell you – it’s worth the trip. From the geography to the food, this place has been blowing our minds from the moment we arrived.

Stay tuned as there is much more to come from the sea, air and land as we shoot, sail, fly (and eat) our way through the Cape of Storms.

20 Responses to Sailing the Cape of Storms – South African Photo Shoot Kicks Off [On Location]

1. Arne August 10, 2012 at 8:05 am #

Great to have you in the “mother City”. Watch out for the Cape of Storms though! Many a sailors nemesis. Are you going to be doing any public engagements while you are here? Regards Arne

• chase jarvis August 11, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

no public engagement, but I might to a meet up – so keep your eye on my twitter handle – facebook – and google+

2. Alan Aubry August 10, 2012 at 8:07 am #

Pffff…. I was in CT few days ago, couldn’t you guys arrive few days earlier? ;)

3. Patrik Lindgren August 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

Lovely city. Lots to see and lots to do. Enjoy your stay!

4. Mark August 10, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

Hey Chase, excited to see what you have going on here. Part of it is for the simple reason that, I was afraid (and kind of still am) that you forgot that a lot of people started following you because of your insightful posts about pure photography-related subjects. Workflow, ideas, why you do what you do. Lately its been more of excess fluff and aggregation of stuff from around the web.

You’re a great photographer with a great eye. You know that, obviously, but a lot of people follow photographers because of that alone. Don’t forget about us.

The only question is, are there any photos from these Pangaea shoots of the rest of the crew? I know he’s not sailing a 105 footer solo.

• chase jarvis August 11, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

Thanks mark. One of the things I’m trying to illustrate here with the blog is that photography and being a great photographer is about a lot more than photography. if you’re looking for pure photography posts, I do about 1 or 2 per week. If you’re aiming for speeds and feeds, camera tests, and lighting diagrams, there are other sites that are better than mine for that. But keep in mind, that stuff you can read in textbooks. The bigger world of photography in creativvity, IMHO, will get you much further and it’s that material that’s not done very well on the net, so it’s what I’m trying to deliver. Hope that adds value.

That “aggregation fluff” you mention has nuggets within there that i kNOW have value, that’s why I choose to post them.

Thanks for your support – hope I can continue to add value to your experience here.

5. DanielKphoto August 11, 2012 at 7:10 am #

Looks beautiful already! Have fun!

6. Titus-Armand August 11, 2012 at 7:27 am #

Dude, you’re still rocking that Lowepro 400AW backpack!

7. Christy Harper August 11, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

awesome images!! Looks like a fun time too :)

8. Ralph Higgo August 12, 2012 at 3:14 am #

yes, great place I call home. Hit me up if you go visit the penguins, I am based in Simonstown. Sure you loved our storm this weekend.

9. Hendrik August 12, 2012 at 5:59 am #

Welcome to THE mother city Chase. Her food, wine and geography is only matched by her friendly people, no place on earth has so many things to do in such a short travel from the City center. Weekend has been some harsh weather. Enjoy the short stay.

10. john raffaghello August 12, 2012 at 7:36 am #

You always got some fresh work, keep it up bro!!!

11. faisal August 12, 2012 at 8:36 am #

All the best with the new shoot.

12. Ryan Millard August 14, 2012 at 4:02 am #

AWESOME! It’s great to have you here! I really hope you and your team get a change to go get lost and explore. Hope you guys all have a lekker time here. ( Lekker, Afrikaans work meaning nice, but not just any nice, it’s like really really nice)

13. Nick Muzik August 15, 2012 at 2:07 am #

Would love to catch up for a beer if you have time, keep us posted.

14. Lakesha November 24, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

Superb blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option?
    There are so many options out there that I’m totally overwhelmed .. Any recommendations? Many thanks!

15. yotuki June 4, 2013 at 8:42 pm #

Nice post. I study something on completely different blogs everyday. It will at all times be stimula

16. www.afalp.org.ar June 7, 2013 at 8:33 am #

Hello, just wanted to mention, I loved this blog post. It was funny. Keep on posting!

17. Cliff Freet September 22, 2014 at 11:31 am #

September 9th, 2008 at 9:21 pm

1. Things You’ll Find Interesting August 10, 2012 | Chuq Von Rospach, Photographer and Author - August 10, 2012

[...] Sailing the Cape of Storms – South African Photo Shoot Kicks Off [On Location] [...]