Slow Motion Shark Attack: A Phantom Captures a Predator in Action

I’m headed to South Africa in just a few days to reunite with our friend Mike Horn onboard the Pangaea. This area of the world is one of the places where the powerful and eerily beautiful Great White shark likes to hang out. The internet tells me that there have beeb 214 shark attacks and 42 fatalities in the past 100 years in the waters of South Africa – and that the area near Capetown where we’ll be shooting is nicknamed “shark alley.” Awesome. Sounds exciting.

I’ve pointed a Phantom camera at some beautiful animals in my career (click here to see the cjLIVE episode where we run the Phantom on a full-day fashion shoot) but never at a predator shown in this video. The action is both gorgeous and terrifying at the same time.

________________________
Stay tuned from updates from Capetown, South Africa.

Reeni says:

Thank you so much for sharing this video. Truly THE BEST I have ever seen . 3:10 blew me away. Such a fierce creature

What a moment it was. Really a different experience and the video is great. Make me feel like I am near ocean.

Andy says:

Yeah, it’s nice, but the increase in shark diving and tourists baiting the sharks has coincided with an increase in shark activity and attacks in and around the beaches. “Correlation does not imply causation” I know, but it means our early morning bay swims are a thing of the past.

Excellent footage. Enjoy the trip. Early morning coffee at Olympia Cafe in Kalk Bay before heading out is highly recommended.

Adam says:

Unbelievable images and such powerful creatures.

james says:

goto Gaans baai they do shark diving there.In fauls bay few year back a lady sas taken
by a shark.the guy in hilicopter said the shark he spotted was bit longer
than his hilicopter.

Ross Charnock says:

Great to hear a familiar accent.
Any chance you need a low paid assistant to carry your gear whilst you’re in the Cape? ;)

Kat says:

It’s a bait seal. Not a real seal but something designed to give the silhouette of the seal floating on the water to get the sharks to attack. The silhouette of surfers paddling out to sea looks like a seal from below and that is why surfers get hit, The reason surfers don’t become shark food is we fortunately do not taste or feel like seal to a shark and they usually let go after the first test bite. Unfortunately the first test bite is a very big bite.

Beautiful footage.

Tyler says:

At the 2:45min mark you can see a line.. is that attached to the (dead?) seal and are they bating the sharks to come to the surface??