Snapshots of the Famous by the Famous

Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Jack Kerouac By Allen Ginsberg

24 Responses to Snapshots of the Famous by the Famous

1. Cris August 23, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Although some of the older photos are great, this Lohan photo doesn’t do much for me.

Yes, she’s famous… Yes, Gaga is famous… The eyes are good, the hand is interesting, but the blown-out fish-face isn’t all that intriguing.

If you take away the names of the photographer and subject you’re left with a MySpace photo.

• Dawg August 23, 2012 at 11:36 am #

Agreed, this is the one that really stands out as being weak to me. The Sinatra shot is also fairly average as a shot, very amateurish.

• faisal August 24, 2012 at 5:39 am #

But its the effort which needs to be appreciated ;-)

• icewater August 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

that’s why its called snaphots… don’t expect too much.

• Chris Fitzgerald August 23, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

I’ll have to agree with Cris…I fear this is another example of the cult of celebrity rather than a good portrait. Seeing so many similar images of Lohan by Terry Richardson, I’m not really drawn to this at all. Without Lohan’s name, it’s nothing at all.
      Cosby, tho…love it.

2. Adam Parsons August 23, 2012 at 10:24 am #

wow Cris I couldn’t disagree more.

The mutually respected innocence the camera captures is what’s so incredible.
    Too often it’s ‘the photographer and the star’. If I was to get shot by Chas, my smile and mind would be caught in the persona of being photographed by someone so gifted in his craft…. if you look closely that’s what’s so gorgeous.

Look at the peace in Lohan’s face. The knowledge that she’s not being shot as “a star” but just a mutual caring soul.
    You can see the same with Warhol and McKellen…. You almost can’t tell who might be more enamored with who… or even if they care about all that ‘famous’ bullshit anyways!!!

The shots are raw – yes, but capture in a way that makes my heart fill. Thanks for the post Chas. That was rockin’!…. almost as much as Reignwolf yesterday… Holy crap… did y’all catch THAT!!!!?

• Josh August 23, 2012 at 11:09 am #

Bang on Adam! Agreed 100%

• Spender007 December 3, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

yawn…snapshots
      yawn…boring uninformed opinions of sheep
      yawn…this entire site oozes blandness
      yawn…at you silly septics who assume you are blessed with talent. You’re mistaken.

3. Sergio August 23, 2012 at 10:31 am #

The Sinatra pic is amazing.

4. Ed August 23, 2012 at 11:06 am #

Gotta agree with Cris on this one. There’s nothing in the Lohan pic for me, doesn’t matter whether it’s of and by a famous person or not.

5. Jon Brooke August 23, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

Is it April 1st already?

Normally I share your aesthetic Chase, but this pic by Lady Gaga is truly awful – it’s not even a lucky shot by someone with no technical ability – it’s an unlucky shot by someone with no technical ability, and should have been deleted on the spot. Apart from being blown out in a particularly horrible way I find the bag hovering above her hand to be totally jarring and a distraction.

Sure it’s somebody famous (I guess – actually I’m not really sure who Lindsay Lohan is) but she ain’t Marylin Monroe.

This is definitely a case of Emperor’s new clothes.

Just rubbish.

• brett August 23, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

but ..you dont think that chase compiled this post?

6. brett August 23, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

very nice promotion chase, are you paying usage on these pics or just joining the fair use bandwagon? shame!

7. c.d.embrey August 23, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

Juergen Teller and Terry Richardson are two top pro photographers who have been shooting snapshots since the 1990s. Their work has graced the covers of W, Harpers Bazaar, Rolling Stone and various Vogue editions.They have snapshoted many ads for luxery brands such as Marc Jacobs and Belvedere Vodka.

The ubiquitousness of cameras has changed the perception of photos for the average person. Regulat folks, are taking lotsa pix with their P&S or Smart Phone. Unlike Serious Amatuers, who use DSLRs, they are not put-off by snapshots.

8. Jim August 23, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

Methinks that most of these shots are badly out of focus..Methinks they stink.

9. Sergiu August 25, 2012 at 5:07 am #

It”s also probably the most authentic form of photography now, in the age of the vital role of post-processing.

10. arcadius August 28, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

thats so cool – thanks for sharing

11. Janine Tonge September 18, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

I am a keen letter writer, and would adore to know if there is anyhow of creating a letter writing community by way of this. Creative letter writers writing to creative letter writers the entire world over. I will reply to all those who wish to write and not just receive. 51 Lavender Sweep, London SW11 1DY. England

12. Caprice Shi April 10, 2014 at 9:00 pm #

Use a extremely content Birthday Hazel and quite a few more to come. Which is an excellent image of you Artie. It is really a keeper for guaranteed!!

13. New SIM Card April 23, 2014 at 3:24 am #

Hello there! This article could not be written any better! Looking at this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He always kept talking about this. I’ll send this post to him. Pretty sure he’s going to have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

14. Mei Rieffer April 23, 2014 at 1:18 pm #

Rattling fantastic info can be found on weblog.

15. lasik doctors April 23, 2014 at 8:07 pm #

High-quality is rarely a wreck; it is always attributable to high goal, sincere effort, bright direction and skillful execution

1. Great photo taken by Frank Sinatra - August 24, 2012

[...] photo taken by Frank Sinatra Photographer Chase Jarvis has a great blog post about famous people shot by famous photographers and includes this image taken by Frank of Muhammad [...]

2. Monday BlogDay: Chase Jarvis and famous people photographed by other famous people « acacia falzone photography - August 27, 2012

[...] post is from Chase Jarvis’ blog featuring celebrities photographed by other celebrities. I love that they are candid, rough, and unedited. There is something so raw and real about all of [...]