The Future of Photo Sharing — What You Must Know [chasejarvisLIVE with Larry Lessig + ASMP + MORE Wed August 29]

U

The image of much discussion: "The Stolen Scream"

UPDATE:the LIVE broadcast is TODAY. Check out the post below and be sure to tune into http://www.chasejarvis.com/live today — 12pm SEA time (3pm NYC & 20:00 London) — and enjoy the show. See you on air in a few…
______

In this new age of media, have you ever wondered how to share, promote and pimp your photos and videos using social sharing tools, but maintain your rights to them? What if someone wants to buy, license, use, or copy your work?

__Ever had a photo or video of yours “go viral” or get liked, +1’d, or retweeted like crazy? If not, do yo wish you had?
__Ever had your photo swiped from your site or social feed and found it being used by someone else?
__Have you ever wondered about watermarking, tracking photos, or overlaying your name in the bottom corner to drive traffic?
__Ever used a Creative Commons (cc) license or wondered if you should put a copyright (c) sympbol on your photos?
__Ever want to make money with your photos? Then you’ve gotta know about this stuff.

If you can answer YES to any of these questions above – I urge you to tune in to the upcoming mission critical episode of chasejarvis LIVE, we’ll be addressing these questions head-on in a LIVE, interactive format. In collaboration with the the ASMP (world’s largest photographer trade organization) we’re hosting world renowned expert Larry Lessig– founder of the revolutionary and immensely popular Creative Commons–, Richard Kelly – former President of the ASMP and Oleg Gutsol, CEO of 500px arguable the world’s best photo sharing community, and other surprise guests. We’ll be answering YOUR questions, sharing insights, and making suggestions on how to make the most of sharing while keeping your rights. One thing is certain – that the future of creative work, photography, filmmaking won’t look like the past.

Who: You, Me, the ASMP, Larry Lessig + a worldwide gathering of creative people

What: Interview, discussion and a worldwide Q & A

When: Wednesday, August 29th, 12:00pm Seattle time (3pm NYC time or 21:00 London)

Where: tune in to www.chasejarvis.com/live. It’s free – anyone can watch and we’ll be taking YOUR questions via Twitter, hashtag #cjLIVE

HELP PROMOTE THE SHOW, WIN GEAR
1. Score a printer NOW. To help us out and for a chance to win the newest all-in-one photo printer from HP, send out any creative tweet that contains the URL (or short URL) to THIS post + @HPPrint + #cjLIVE starting NOW and ending at the beginning of the show on Wednesday, August 29th. Enter as many times / tweets as you like. We’ll pick our favorite and announce the winner LIVE on-air. Example. “I’d give a limb AND score an @HPprint printer if everyone I knew tuned in to #cjLIVE this week http://bit.ly/RqhNfY”

2. THIS IS HUGE – WIN A CAMERA. We’re also giving away a Fujifilm X-Pro 1 camera AND a 35mm f/1.4 XF R lens (valued together at $2,298.00USD), during the live event. I’ll tell you how to enter, but you gotta watch to win…

JOIN US.

If you want to be part of the live, in-studio audience, send an email to production@chasejarvis.com with “ASMP” in the subject line. Winners will receive a confirmation email with attendance instructions. Bonus points for tweeting about the show and seeing folks here. The in-studio audience seats filled up immediately on posting this. Stay tuned for the next show announcement for a chance to attend in-person.
________________________

Special thanks to our cjLIVE show sponsors: HP, Broncolor, B&H. We genuinely love what they do, make, and sell.
Please follow them on twitter at: @hpprint, @bronimaging, @bhphoto

Valuable information. Fortunate me I found your site accidentally, and
I’m surprised why this accident didn’t came about earlier!

I bookmarked it.

Janie says:

Aw, this was a really good post. Finding the time and actual
effort to produce a superb article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole lot and don’t
seem to get anything done.

Mickie says:

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right
here. The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish.
nonetheless, you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish be delivering the following.
unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same
nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

Hello i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace, when i read this post i thought
i could also create comment due to this good piece of writing.

I believe this is one of the most vital info for me. And i am happy studying your article.
However wanna remark on some general issues, The website style is ideal, the articles is really great : D.

Just right task, cheers

Brenda says:

With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement?
My website has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either created myself or
outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission.
Do you know any techniques to help protect against content from being ripped off?
I’d truly appreciate it.

jorge says:

Chase,

Great episode…thanks for keeping the flow of info and creativity going.

One question regurading the Facebook Terms and Conditions.

How is it that if you post an image on FB you surrender the rights and they are free to do what they want with it? if the work is automatically copyrighted to the creator, then they are stealing in for their own porposes.

The reason I ask is that I’m assuming a precedent here. For example; My landlord could write in whatever he/she wants on the lease contract…i’e. “She has the rigth to come in and dance with monkeys in my living room every other week.” Even if I signed this, under California law, she can’t legally do so.

That said, how come Terms and Conditions can override the law??? I would think they don’t.

Obiously, if i don’t want something share I can reframe from posting. I’m aware of that.

my best,

jorge

faisal says:

This can’t be missed, awesome contest.

I’d love to hear the 500px CEO address censorship and the arbitrary way that they rate and tag photos as NSFW (Not Safe For Work). A LOT of “gaming” goes on in what is otherwise a brilliant photo sharing site.

John

Eric Meyer says:

Damnit! I have to work. Is there any chance I can get a copy of the show? I’m a Behavioral ECON major and my senior thesis is on copyright reform.

Looking forward to the show..will be “tuned in”. And yes that camera is QUITE the perk! Thanks for putting it together :)

faisal says:

Unfortunately, they differ by country.

Anonymous says:

they differ by country only in a technical and legal sense, but not in the sense that matters most which is awareness, intent and strategy IMHO

Noa Magger says:

Found the credit. Sorry, my bad :)

Noa Magger says:

FYI, the image you’re going to discuss was originally taken by Noam Galai. So… Credit the man :)

Tom Wear says:

Can you please clarify the date? Is it “Next Wednesday” (the 15th) or is it Wednesday the 29th? Thanks.

Anonymous says:

says wed 29th in the title and the body of the post. …