Aspen Photo Shoot: chasejarvis RAW Behind-the-Scenes Video

Real heli’s and remote octo-copters. Flying cameras and world-class athletes. Lots of hard work and a great campaign for one legendary resort.

Earlier this year in March you may have tuned into my live-updates while shooting the 2012-2013 campaign for Aspen/Snowmass resort. Amidst our 20 hour days we were able to kick out behind the scenes photos, some daily blog posts and a few other things highlighting our work (thanks to Aspen for being incredibly cool, most clients don’t let you do this…) But I also promised a behind-the-scenes vid… So here ’tis. 6 months after the actual shoot, but before anybody else gets to see it – we’re dropping it here today…timed with the launch of the campaign – and sharing several of the final ads before they land in magazines / billboards worldwide.

The focus for this work was to re-create and share the real Aspen experience, so we lived it. Shooting on location in the mountains comes with the usual crazy challenges. Cold weather, crazy wind, even colder hands and feet, scorching sun, altitude issues, running around above 12,000 feet… and in my case, a badly sunburned nose. While some of my BTS videos show that part of it, we wanted the focus of this video to be more on the ways we captured the photos, the people, the athletes, and the action. We skied, hiked, choppered, ate, drank and danced our way through this job – a helluva a lot work, but even more fun. Hope you enjoy.

Some nuts and bolts from the shoot not obvious from the BTS vid, but that you might be interested to know:
// I shot Nikon D3s + Canon 5d (remote from Octocopter) for stills and Nikon D7000 + Canon 7D for the Behind-the-scenes
// We strapped GoPros to my head, my leg, to an octo-copter, to myriad body parts on pro-rippers
// We used 2 real helicopters and 1 remote octo-copter
// Among the many shredders we worked with is legendary Chris Davenport. Literally one of the best pro skiers of all time. Chris has climbed and skied all 50+ 14,000 peaks in Colorado in one year and recently skied off Everest. Follow him here @steepskiing. Total badass. Consummate pro.
// We shot the entire campaign and video in 6 days
// We had a 6-person photo crew (2 producers, myself + 3 film/photo crew) + 25 others (agency, client, talent)
// We hiked + heli’ed to the top of Highland Bowl in pre-dawn hours and watched the sunrise above 12,000 feet.
// No animals were harmed in the production of this video – just a lot of brain cells

ChaseJarvis_aspen_2012 ad campaign

ChaseJarvis_aspen_2012 ad campaign2

And I can’t tell you enough how much I LOVE the music track behind this video. HUGE thanks to one of my favorite bands, The Glitch Mob for working with us to incorporate this song. In between playing amazing live music, getting brought onboard soundtracks for movies like TRON and Spiderman, they managed to squeeze us in. The video wouldn’t be the same without this music. Follow them here @TheGlitchMob and buy their albums here on iTunes.

46 Responses to Aspen Photo Shoot: chasejarvis RAW Behind-the-Scenes Video

1. Chip Kalback October 2, 2012 at 9:59 am #

Great to see what it took to put all of this together Chase! I enjoyed hearing you speak in Aspen this past weekend too.

2. Sergio Moran October 2, 2012 at 9:59 am #

Where’s the D4? I have noticed some other guys like you (such as Mark Wallace, Ian Hylands and others) are not using their D4′s. I’m about to buy mine and I’m afraid to do so in order that you guys know something I don´t about it!!! Haha. It is kinda joke but seriosly… where´s the D4??? Is it for the XQD card??? Cheers.

3. Tom VH October 2, 2012 at 10:21 am #

one word… actually two! Love it! Lots of big and heavy behind-the-scene-stuff! Anyway, it looks great and thanks for sharing your behind the scenes vids!

4. Jonny October 2, 2012 at 10:27 am #

Cool beans. Miss these vids. I’m also a major sucker for anything skiing related. Living the dream.

5. Henning Ras October 2, 2012 at 10:49 am #

WOW !!!

It is ALL I can say!!

Keep the STUNNING WORK going !!

Regards

Henning

6. S. Allman October 2, 2012 at 10:59 am #

What wireless transmitter were you using on the 5D mounted to the octo-copter? I’m looking for something that’s light weight and can do wireless video off a video battery.

• Jeff Scholl October 2, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

We were using a 1.3 lawmate tx/rx for the video downlink.

Cheers,
      Jeff

7. Jeremy October 2, 2012 at 11:19 am #

Awesome Video, thanks for Posting….

8. Nate Perkes October 2, 2012 at 11:26 am #

best behind the scenes video. unreal!

9. Joey Jonaitis October 2, 2012 at 11:43 am #

Amazing work, as always. I would love to get my hands on a RC helo for some shots here in Utah. Very inspiring, keep it up.

10. DanielKphoto October 2, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

Beautiful shots chase, and looks like they’ve been fun days as well :)

11. Harry Guinness October 2, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

Man, you just really made me want to go to Aspen!

12. David October 2, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

CANON ? ? ?
    Does Nikon know bout this? Has the great Chase J been thinkin’ of swappin out?
    I might be wrong, but I dont think I’ve seen you work a Canon before for a serious job.
    As a 5Dmkll shooter I applaud, but I’m sure with a little thought a Nikon would have fit on that Little Heli just as well, and done as good a job, considering its not a low light shoot.
    And before anyone comments to the effect:
    “better risk the Canon for the danger shot than a Nikon”,
    I will suggest the comeback:
    “Canon has the balls for the tough work”
    Jus’ sayin’

• Jeff Scholl October 2, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

When your helicam operator shows up with a specific model all ready proven and ready to roll it’s best to use your time shooting instead of wasting time on hacking/configuring downlink feeds, shutter hacks, and gimbal balance/clearance.

Cheers,
      Jeff Scholl

• Erik Hecht October 2, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

David, Jeff’s right. His heli setup was rigged and dialed to use his 5Dmkii. Nothing controversial to see here, just us letting the expert do his thing with his gear.

13. Chris October 2, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

Great to see the final product along with the BTS story. Thanks for being so transparent Chase. You’re an inspiration.

14. Mark Dunlap October 2, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

Chase, or whoever might be available to post an answer.

On the BTS video footage, can you give an idea of how much of it was shot with the D7000 as compared to the 7D? I just picked up a new D7000 and am starting to experiment with video, so I’m always curious as to how it stacks up against video from Canon.

• Erik Hecht October 3, 2012 at 9:50 am #

Hey Mark, the footage was mostly captured on the 7D as it’s my camera of choice and we wanted to shoot a lot of slow motion. There’s some D7000 footage in there too, particularly the (non GoPro) aerial shots from the full size helicopter in the beginning and the terrain park at the end.

15. Mike Folden October 2, 2012 at 8:48 pm #

Super dope dude. Looks like a great shoot with some amazing weather and talent!

16. Peter Eriksson October 3, 2012 at 1:22 am #

Stunning!!!!

Great work, Go Drones :)

17. Girish October 3, 2012 at 3:30 am #

Fantastic video. Brilliant effort there. Stunner.

18. KZ October 3, 2012 at 3:55 am #

nice clip. I like the editing and the soundtrack.
    this is excellent self-promotion material Chase. You know your shit.

19. faisal October 3, 2012 at 5:44 am #

So much happens behind the scenes and we know nothing.

20. Sara October 3, 2012 at 7:22 am #

Awesomeness in the can.

21. Dov October 3, 2012 at 8:04 am #

Nice crown Chase. Are those real jewels? ;) As always, epic campaign and awesome video! Can’t wait for more!

22. Anthony Quesada October 3, 2012 at 9:02 am #

Unreal! Favorite behind the scenes yet. Love the editing to the strong music.

“Had the shot in the first 2 minutes”….instant classic

23. Susie Lindau (@SusieLindau) October 3, 2012 at 11:38 am #

Whoa! I am psyched for the ski season now! Loved the video and your photos. What a high tech gizmo!
    The first snow is coming in! Thanks for sharing. See you on the slopes…

24. Sy S October 3, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

Chase, for shame! Did I see you using a Canon on that Octocopter?? Kidding,.. Great Work and awesome video!

25. Brett October 6, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

What fantastic shots… Makes me want to be there to experience it for myself!!

26. Daf October 8, 2012 at 5:14 am #

Cool stuff.
    Ha love the 2-min/58-min snippet ;)

27. Chris Thornton October 8, 2012 at 11:10 pm #

What camera did you use to shoot this behind the scene video?

28. Jesse October 11, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

truly professional work

29. Aaron Bible November 12, 2012 at 11:52 am #

Thanks for sharing this Chase…would love to reconnect sometime when you are back in Colorado.

30. Quentin Cavalero November 29, 2012 at 6:09 am #

Thank you for sharing some of the info.

1. Before Aspen | Official site of Matt Walker - October 8, 2012

[...] behind Aspen’s new Before Aspen ad campaign, just posted all six of the ads on his BLOG. He also posted a Behind the Scenes video. The project was produced by Factory Design Labs, based [...]

2. How to Cultivate Online Community --- Re-cap Aspen-Snowmass Panel at The Meeting | Chase Jarvis Blog - October 11, 2012

[...] of you might have noticed that we dropped the behind-the-scenes video last week from the shooting of the Aspen-Snowmass campaign this year. I launched this immediately [...]

3. How to Cultivate and Online Community — Re-cap from Aspen Panels at The Meeting 8 @ Spotofoto - October 11, 2012

4. How to Cultivate an Online Community — Re-cap from Aspen Panels at The Meeting 8 | PHOTODIGEST.INFO - October 19, 2012

[...] of you might have noticed that I dropped the behind-the-scenes video last week from the shooting of the Aspen-Snowmass campaign. I launched this immediately following a [...]

5. Lightt & Mirrorgram: Two New Must-Have iPhone Photo Apps | Chase Jarvis Blog - October 22, 2012

[...] my pal Justin Boreta of LA’s electronic music trio The Glitch Mob that you’ve heard in my most recent video (as well as the soundtrack for flicks like Spiderman and Tron). Put simply, Mirrorgram allows users [...]

6. Oct 3: Aspen Spread | Official site of Matt Walker - December 19, 2012

[...] Aspen’s new ad campaign titled “Before Aspen.” Blog about the campaign HERE n HERE. This photo will run in the December, 2012 Photo Annual issue of Freeskier. Chase’s idea for [...]

7. Do You Suffer From GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome? - March 2, 2013

[...] might be times when successfully completing a job means having all sorts of expensive gear (like Chase Jarvis and his range of helicopters), but that’s not most of [...]

8. Photographing with Remote Helis in Crazy Locations --- Behind-the-Scenes in Aspen | Chase Jarvis Blog - March 13, 2013

[...] the Force Remember last year’s Aspen campaign? Well, we’re back at it again this year with even better conditions. We’ve been up [...]

9. Photographing with Remote Helis & World Class Athletes in Crazy Locations — Behind-the-Scenes in Aspen @ Spotofoto - March 13, 2013

[...] last year’s Aspen campaign? Well, we’re back at it again this year with even better conditions. We’ve been up [...]

10. What’s New in Tech & Sports — LIVE TODAY [10:30am Mountain Time] | Chase Jarvis Blog - March 14, 2013

[...] the middle of shooting next year’s campaign for Aspen. You might remember the fun we had on last year’s shoot. We’ve been working with world-class athletes like Chris Davenport again – and using [...]

11. What’s New in Tech & Sports — LIVE TODAY [10:30am Mountain Time] @ Spotofoto - March 14, 2013

12. Photographing with Remote Helis & World Class Athletes in Crazy Locations — Behind-the-Scenes in Aspen | Chase Jarvis | An information resource for Photographic Studio Lighting Kits and Equipment. |  - March 16, 2013