Aspen Photo Shoot: chasejarvis RAW Behind-the-Scenes Video

Real heli’s and remote octo-copters. Flying cameras and world-class athletes. Lots of hard work and a great campaign for one legendary resort.

Earlier this year in March you may have tuned into my live-updates while shooting the 2012-2013 campaign for Aspen/Snowmass resort. Amidst our 20 hour days we were able to kick out behind the scenes photos, some daily blog posts and a few other things highlighting our work (thanks to Aspen for being incredibly cool, most clients don’t let you do this…) But I also promised a behind-the-scenes vid… So here ’tis. 6 months after the actual shoot, but before anybody else gets to see it – we’re dropping it here today…timed with the launch of the campaign – and sharing several of the final ads before they land in magazines / billboards worldwide.

The focus for this work was to re-create and share the real Aspen experience, so we lived it. Shooting on location in the mountains comes with the usual crazy challenges. Cold weather, crazy wind, even colder hands and feet, scorching sun, altitude issues, running around above 12,000 feet… and in my case, a badly sunburned nose. While some of my BTS videos show that part of it, we wanted the focus of this video to be more on the ways we captured the photos, the people, the athletes, and the action. We skied, hiked, choppered, ate, drank and danced our way through this job – a helluva a lot work, but even more fun. Hope you enjoy.

Some nuts and bolts from the shoot not obvious from the BTS vid, but that you might be interested to know:
// I shot Nikon D3s + Canon 5d (remote from Octocopter) for stills and Nikon D7000 + Canon 7D for the Behind-the-scenes
// We strapped GoPros to my head, my leg, to an octo-copter, to myriad body parts on pro-rippers
// We used 2 real helicopters and 1 remote octo-copter
// Among the many shredders we worked with is legendary Chris Davenport. Literally one of the best pro skiers of all time. Chris has climbed and skied all 50+ 14,000 peaks in Colorado in one year and recently skied off Everest. Follow him here @steepskiing. Total badass. Consummate pro.
// We shot the entire campaign and video in 6 days
// We had a 6-person photo crew (2 producers, myself + 3 film/photo crew) + 25 others (agency, client, talent)
// We hiked + heli’ed to the top of Highland Bowl in pre-dawn hours and watched the sunrise above 12,000 feet.
// No animals were harmed in the production of this video – just a lot of brain cells

ChaseJarvis_aspen_2012 ad campaign

ChaseJarvis_aspen_2012 ad campaign2

And I can’t tell you enough how much I LOVE the music track behind this video. HUGE thanks to one of my favorite bands, The Glitch Mob for working with us to incorporate this song. In between playing amazing live music, getting brought onboard soundtracks for movies like TRON and Spiderman, they managed to squeeze us in. The video wouldn’t be the same without this music. Follow them here @TheGlitchMob and buy their albums here on iTunes.

Most people quit their weight loss venture mid way.
Look for restaurants that say “No MSG” on the menu orr ffor
soups that have “No MSG” on their label. This recipe was taken from Laurel’s Kitchen Cookbook.

It operated two daily round trip excursions, except
on Sundays, on the 65-mile run from the Weirs at 08:00 and 13:00, calling at Bear Island, Center Harbor,
Wolfeboro, and Alton Bay. When choosing furniture, you’ll be deciding on many
different types of chairs to put into your home.
If you own a centrifugal juicer and are annoyed by the foaming and the clogging switch to a masticating juicer.

Willard says:

It is huge system to find pools, caverns and underground rivers.
Put one foot in front from the other and move forward.
President Kennedy death preceded by father’s by three weeks and in a very
way i was already grieving.

Inside your private Caribbean beach villa, you can kick up your heels and
relax in the plush surroundings. 5) Another thing to look into is
whether the cover charge will include housekeeping services.
sores in a small study.

It operated two daily round trip excursions, except on Sundays, on the 65-mile run from the Weirs
at 08:00 and 13:00, calling at Bear Island, Center Harbor, Wolfeboro,
and Alton Bay. 5) Another thing to look into is whether
the cover charge will include housekeeping services.
As its name implies, the boat itself, created by an act of Congress in 1916,
is the country’s only full-fledged floating post office with the power to cancel mail.

Ensure that your resume makes it easy for the readers to identify your capabilities and feel your
enthusiasm to be a part of their workforce. The temple shines with infinite reflections from hundreds of crystallized glass pieces.
A form of the herb licorice, called deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL), was explored for canker sores
in a small study.

Lillie says:

‘ Implementing appropriate, efficient and cost-effective HR information systems.
When somebody mentions grow tents an awful of people
have no idea what is meant. We sat near the lake, and enjoyed the beautiful view with about 2 other hikers.

Darcy says:

According to reviews, the system features a complete package of ingredients that is meant to transform thinning manes.
Choosing a compatible color means determining whether or not you
are a “cool” or a “warm” shaded person. You can get so many options that it is very much possible to find your hair
color.

No matter if some one searches for his necessary thing, therefore he/she wants to be available that in detail,
therefore that thing is maintained over here.

Awesome! Its in fact amazing piece of writing, I have got much clear idea regarding from this piece of writing.

Great post! We are linking to this particularly great post on our website.

Keep up the good writing.

Jorja says:

Sped – 4G represents the final generation of mobile wirless standards.
all of such hgh price gadgets should bbe sheltered, as
well as tthe single method by which youu can do this iss usually tto
guarantee that they have got skins to shield them. To do this,
visit ‘Screen Saver Settings’ and configure the parameters you wish,
as showed inside our article concerning how to customize Windows 7
themes.

It’s an amazing article in favor of all the web
people; they will get benefit from it I am sure.

Floyd says:

Your style is really unique in comparison to other folks I’ve read stuff from.
Thank you for posting when you have the opportunity,
Guess I will just bookmark this web site.

Taylor Pilat says:

There are some fascinating time limits on this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There’s some validity but I’ll take maintain opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we wish extra! Added to FeedBurner as nicely

Thank you for sharing some of the info.

Aaron Bible says:

Thanks for sharing this Chase…would love to reconnect sometime when you are back in Colorado.

Jesse says:

truly professional work

What camera did you use to shoot this behind the scene video?

Daf says:

Cool stuff.
Ha love the 2-min/58-min snippet ;)

Brett says:

What fantastic shots… Makes me want to be there to experience it for myself!!

Sy S says:

Chase, for shame! Did I see you using a Canon on that Octocopter?? Kidding,.. Great Work and awesome video!

Whoa! I am psyched for the ski season now! Loved the video and your photos. What a high tech gizmo!
The first snow is coming in! Thanks for sharing. See you on the slopes…

Unreal! Favorite behind the scenes yet. Love the editing to the strong music.

“Had the shot in the first 2 minutes”….instant classic

Dov says:

Nice crown Chase. Are those real jewels? ;) As always, epic campaign and awesome video! Can’t wait for more!

Sara says:

Awesomeness in the can.

faisal says:

So much happens behind the scenes and we know nothing.

KZ says:

nice clip. I like the editing and the soundtrack.
this is excellent self-promotion material Chase. You know your shit.

Girish says:

Fantastic video. Brilliant effort there. Stunner.

Stunning!!!!

Great work, Go Drones :)

Mike Folden says:

Super dope dude. Looks like a great shoot with some amazing weather and talent!

Mark Dunlap says:

Chase, or whoever might be available to post an answer.

On the BTS video footage, can you give an idea of how much of it was shot with the D7000 as compared to the 7D? I just picked up a new D7000 and am starting to experiment with video, so I’m always curious as to how it stacks up against video from Canon.

Erik Hecht says:

Hey Mark, the footage was mostly captured on the 7D as it’s my camera of choice and we wanted to shoot a lot of slow motion. There’s some D7000 footage in there too, particularly the (non GoPro) aerial shots from the full size helicopter in the beginning and the terrain park at the end.

Chris says:

Great to see the final product along with the BTS story. Thanks for being so transparent Chase. You’re an inspiration.

David says:

CANON ? ? ?
Does Nikon know bout this? Has the great Chase J been thinkin’ of swappin out?
I might be wrong, but I dont think I’ve seen you work a Canon before for a serious job.
As a 5Dmkll shooter I applaud, but I’m sure with a little thought a Nikon would have fit on that Little Heli just as well, and done as good a job, considering its not a low light shoot.
And before anyone comments to the effect:
“better risk the Canon for the danger shot than a Nikon”,
I will suggest the comeback:
“Canon has the balls for the tough work”
Jus’ sayin’

Jeff Scholl says:

When your helicam operator shows up with a specific model all ready proven and ready to roll it’s best to use your time shooting instead of wasting time on hacking/configuring downlink feeds, shutter hacks, and gimbal balance/clearance.

Cheers,
Jeff Scholl

Erik Hecht says:

David, Jeff’s right. His heli setup was rigged and dialed to use his 5Dmkii. Nothing controversial to see here, just us letting the expert do his thing with his gear.

Man, you just really made me want to go to Aspen!

DanielKphoto says:

Beautiful shots chase, and looks like they’ve been fun days as well :)

Amazing work, as always. I would love to get my hands on a RC helo for some shots here in Utah. Very inspiring, keep it up.

Nate Perkes says:

best behind the scenes video. unreal!

Jeremy says:

Awesome Video, thanks for Posting….

S. Allman says:

What wireless transmitter were you using on the 5D mounted to the octo-copter? I’m looking for something that’s light weight and can do wireless video off a video battery.

Jeff Scholl says:

We were using a 1.3 lawmate tx/rx for the video downlink.

Cheers,
Jeff

Henning Ras says:

WOW !!!

It is ALL I can say!!

Keep the STUNNING WORK going !!

Regards

Henning

Jonny says:

Cool beans. Miss these vids. I’m also a major sucker for anything skiing related. Living the dream.

Tom VH says:

one word… actually two! Love it! Lots of big and heavy behind-the-scene-stuff! Anyway, it looks great and thanks for sharing your behind the scenes vids!

Sergio Moran says:

Where’s the D4? I have noticed some other guys like you (such as Mark Wallace, Ian Hylands and others) are not using their D4’s. I’m about to buy mine and I’m afraid to do so in order that you guys know something I don´t about it!!! Haha. It is kinda joke but seriosly… where´s the D4??? Is it for the XQD card??? Cheers.

Chip Kalback says:

Great to see what it took to put all of this together Chase! I enjoyed hearing you speak in Aspen this past weekend too.