Emerging Talent — Rohan Phillips’ Aussie Truck Drivers

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

ChaseJarvis_EmergingTalent_AussieTruckers_RohanPhillips_AmyRollo-01

This black and white portrait series has been a hard won achievement by Australian photographer Rohan Phillips. At only 27 years old, much of his teenage and adult life has been spent in and out of hospitals battling life-threatening health problems, including digestive tract paralysis and testicular cancer.  Even after a successful surgery to remove the tumor and cancer cells, he still needs to be “attached to a feeding machine for 17 hours a day, which pumps liquid nutrition through a tube surgically inserted below my stomach. It needs to be plugged in to a power point, which means I need to be lying in bed or sitting down for most of the time between 6pm and midday the following day.”  There were periods where he didn’t feel well enough to leave the house for months, and when he could, it would be to go shoot at a truck stop.  His escape is the very same place where we simply stop to fill up our tank.  This guy gives meaning to the word ‘perseverance.’  Click through the photos above to see more of Rohan’s work.

I had to know more about how he captured such intense emotion in these tough dudes.  Here’s what he had to say:

Why truck drivers?

RP: As a young boy, I was always fascinated by anything with wheels and an engine, particularly big and shiny behemoths like Australian trucks. Around the age of 10-11, my dad would regularly drive me around the industrial areas in my home town of Adelaide, South Australia. With an old 35mm compact camera in hand, he would stop if I saw any interesting trucks parked in yards and factories so I could get out and snap a few photos of the rigs that caught my eye.

While at the local truck stop one day, a truck driver yelled out for me to come over and take a picture of him. Despite being only 32, he had a very weathered, lined face and grey hair. I snapped a few pictures of him, as well as another truck driver who was nearby.  I was quite taken with the portraits, and started going to the truck stop more regularly with the intention of mostly photographing the drivers.

Compared to most other professions, truck drivers are an absolutely fascinating breed unto themselves, with incredibly interesting faces to accompany their entertaining stories about their lives and experiences in the transport industry.  Some of the stories they have to tell are mesmerizing, with the subject matter ranging from having childhood leukemia, recovering trucks at fatal crashes involving family members, being headbutted by an angry bull, to almost losing an arm to a white-tail spider bite.

What was your creative process in capturing such great emotion with these guys?

RP: Many of the guys are very proud of their trucks and are excited to have them photographed.  Once I introduced myself to a driver, we would usually chat for a few minutes.  I would give a bit of direction, like asking them to look at me or changing position.  While shooting, I would keep up a light hearted conversation, saying something weird or funny to get a laugh and more natural expression, like “Have you done much modeling before?” It was helpful if the driver had a couple of other truckies nearby to make fun of him, which usually led to easy laughs and a comfortable expression.  It’s kind of weird that just because I had a camera, I could go up to these rough looking blokes, and within a few minutes of meeting them, could start ordering them around.

Did you learn anything interesting about the trucking life?

RP: Despite the long hours on the road, often away from family and the comforts of home for days or weeks at a time, most drivers love the lifestyle.  The freedom of being out on the open road. The idea of working in the same office cubicle, from 9 to 5 for years on end, would send cold shivers down a truck driver’s spine.  Without the highway and stunning scenery constantly changing in front of them, going to work would be a tremendous bore. Most drivers I’ve talked to wouldn’t give it up for quids, and some have described it as getting paid to be a tourist in your own country.

And despite the rough appearance of some of them, with language and stories that would make a pirate blush at times, Aussie truckies are by and large a kindhearted, hard working and generous bunch of people, always willing to help out a mate in need, or just spend hours exchanging stories over some cups of tea and some smokes at the truck stop.

Most people probably don’t appreciate how critical trucks are to supplying their everyday needs. Everything from delivering the cars to building the roads they drive on, right down to the fresh produce and iPods at your local supermarket are brought in by trucks. As the placard on many Aussie rigs truthfully declares; “Without trucks, Australia stops”.

Rohan shoots for Truckin’ Life magazine.  Check out more of his work here.

46 Responses to Emerging Talent — Rohan Phillips’ Aussie Truck Drivers

1. Jonathan Ridgely October 4, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

Great editorial work and story telling. I love how every image is focused on the eyes and the storys they tell. The fact that he over came a lot to do this project reminds us that we have no excuses for not completing personal bodys of work.

2. Jay October 4, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

This is the most inspiring Emerging Talent post, yet. Being disabled myself I passionately root for this guy to keep overcoming his challenges, make great photos and make the most of our good hours each day, week or month.

3. Kylie H October 5, 2012 at 3:58 am #

Rohan,

What a truly wonderful set of photographs. The Aussie Truckie is one that works hard, does the long miles, but they are still human deep down inside, and you still manage to show there’s a softer side in all of them, and they are just the every day average Joe working hard for their living. They have the second most dangerous job rated in Australia, and it can be a killer on their family lives.

I loved your photographs, ESPECIALLY that you kept them all in the same black and white theme, it was perfect.

Kylie.

4. faisal October 5, 2012 at 6:11 am #

Wow, truck drivers are also humans, so why not snap them ;p

5. 0824hp3ip May 26, 2013 at 9:35 am #

Keep up the good work, I read few posts on this site and I conceive that your web blog is very interesting and has got sets of wonderful info.

6. 1wh8vh6e May 27, 2013 at 12:24 am #

Heya, I just hopped over to your web-site through StumbleUpon. Not somthing I might typically read,

7. 9zuu48201p May 27, 2013 at 9:03 am #

I have got one suggestion for your website. It seems like there are a number of cascading stylesheet

8. airmax nike June 22, 2013 at 8:44 pm #

Nie znajdziesz tego korzystniejszego. Nowa portal pożyczkowa dla pozostałych to . Polecamy do odwiedzenia – 72 procent obniżki dla firmowych klientów.

9. Lahoma Dearruda April 10, 2014 at 9:12 pm #

I really like your operate. I just locate it astonishing that you are capable to keep finding quite old garments at reasonable fees to use for materials. I undoubtedly could not the following in England.

10. drink you away lyrics April 25, 2014 at 9:51 am #

Great goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely magnificent. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a tremendous site.

11. Gus April 27, 2014 at 11:36 am #

1. I think one of the most comical things from the FDA’s efforts is the common “what about the children” refrain with regards to sweet flavors. It seems that any product nowadays that gets made with sweet or candy flavors is going to be accused of being marketed to children. Which is funny, because it reflects the utter FAILURE of the FDA as an organization that eating sweet crap and candy is inherently associated with our nation’s youth!

12. Viki Sossaman April 28, 2014 at 4:11 am #

Hi there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on. You have done a extraordinary job!

13. Nakesha April 28, 2014 at 10:42 am #

month Green Smoke released the new FlavorMax Variety Pack which allows customers an easy way to sample all of Green Smoke’s top electronic cigarette

14. Lenora April 29, 2014 at 11:24 am #

To tell you the truth i have had at least 5 different types of electronic cigs now and i am still not satisfied with any for the battery life they give. At home i have one for about 20 puffs, the battery goes, plug in another thats just been recharged and the same happens. Why such a short life span more so on the more expensive cigs i seem to have wasted money on. The collection includes The Screwdriver, Titan, E cigarette, Green Smoke, so anyone really and honestly tell me which has the longest life.

15. Shirely April 29, 2014 at 5:03 pm #

Thanks for your comment. The o2 looks like a standard KR808D-1 and appears very similar to the Volt and Bloog. If it performs as well as those, it should be a good deal.

16. automobil April 30, 2014 at 12:41 pm #

Im attempting to live intelligent to enroll in the RSS feeds, nevertheless cannot figure it absent. Some assistance will be real grand Thanks

17. Herman Rasnic May 6, 2014 at 5:35 pm #

I have to get across my gratitude for your kind-heartedness for folks that actually need guidance on the concept. Your real commitment to passing the solution across came to be exceptionally advantageous and has without exception allowed some individuals much like me to achieve their targets. Your personal useful advice can mean a great deal a person like me and much more to my mates. Many thanks; from each one of us.

18. Dora May 7, 2014 at 5:25 pm #

I’ll immediately take hold of your rss as I can’t to findyour e-mail subscription link or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please allow me understand so that I may subscribe. Thanks.

19. Josh Juan May 8, 2014 at 8:14 am #

I am pissed at Jim Taylor and I am pissed at the whole Red Shirt leadership.

20. Margery May 8, 2014 at 11:44 am #

I do know this isn’t precisely on topic, but i’ve a site using the same program as well and i get troubles with my feedback displaying. is there a setting i am lacking? it’s attainable you could assist me out? thanx.

21. pos system May 8, 2014 at 6:26 pm #

Throughout this awesome pattern of things you receive a B+ just for effort and hard work. Where exactly you lost everybody was first on all the details. You know, they say, the devil is in the details… And that could not be much more correct right here. Having said that, let me inform you just what exactly did deliver the results. Your article (parts of it) can be really convincing which is most likely why I am taking an effort in order to comment. I do not make it a regular habit of doing that. 2nd, although I can easily see the jumps in reason you make, I am definitely not confident of exactly how you appear to unite your points which in turn help to make your final result. For right now I shall yield to your position but wish in the near future you actually link the dots better.

22. Kareen Lariosa May 9, 2014 at 9:12 am #

I have not read a Wikileaks report of the CP being in Florida. I know that he travelled to the Northeast USA when his daughter Princess Bajrakitiyabha received a doctorate of law.

23. Ivana Rakes May 12, 2014 at 9:51 pm #

Polymorpheus #58 and R.N. England #59 thank you both for these excellent insights.Personally I think Bangkok’s Governor, and Abhisit should be praised to the heavans for trying to find a peaceful way out of thisextremely worrisome, complex, potentially catastrophic crisis.

24. Arnita Hulvey May 12, 2014 at 11:13 pm #

I really valued my opportunity years ago to receive a stipend to attend the NAPC conference in Denver as a rep for the Clark County Historic Preservation Commission. Thank you, Lisbeth, for helping make this possible.

25. Jess Steely May 14, 2014 at 10:10 am #

Poverty decreasing in rural areas? So one may understand why Thaksin is famous in countryside!

26. Brianna Pfingsten May 14, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

ASEAN will follow the lead of the U.N. make a few noises, then do nothing.

27. tentacles fuck teen titans June 22, 2014 at 3:09 am #

Wonderful site. Plenty of helpful info here. I am sending it to a few buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thanks on your effort!

28. Kickboxing class Cranston RI August 1, 2014 at 6:57 am #

Truck drivers souls are so vast because it has been more places than the rest of us. I feel like they take something with them and leave something as well, what an image to capture!

29. Isreal Coulthard September 22, 2014 at 4:58 am #

I’d like to live on Kauai. It was small, quiet, and it had lots of opportunities for an adventure.

30. Fritz Schuchman September 22, 2014 at 12:08 pm #

I love getting the letters, but please will not go telling folks they are heading to have about just one a week. I’ve been lucky to get just one a month. You need to do a little better than that….or prevent the pinocchio stories at the extremely least. If an individual a month is what it is, then that’s what it is.

31. zivame offerss September 24, 2014 at 10:51 pm #

You have written this article extremely niceely plus in a really clear fashion.

32. flipkart Deals September 25, 2014 at 12:43 am #

Very nice information you have put forward in this blog.

33. Myntra coupons September 29, 2014 at 9:31 pm #

this is among most appropriately looked into and illustrated guide introduced in an exceedingly lucid approach

34. Get More Information October 3, 2014 at 4:24 am #

Know requirements jewels before you make a jewellery acquire.There can be some exceptional sorts of ,http://www.climbnslide.co.uk/,gallstones: replica, man made together with replica. tiffany jewellery are both exact gem stones, but imitation is simply plastic-type material shaded to take a look just like the genuine thing. Normal rocks are located below ground and synthetic jewels are increased at a clinical.Take a quite close look around the item appeals to you, and then placed it next to many other products you are searching for. Be careful of stunts that some traders utilizes carryout a gemstone appear better.

35. Arnette Rydelek October 9, 2014 at 1:51 am #

I do consider all of the concepts you have introduced to your post. They’re very convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very quick for newbies. May you please lengthen them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.

36. Sterrett@outlook.com October 10, 2014 at 6:11 am #

This internet site is actually merely wonderful, the info is actually upgraded as well as crystal clear. I will certainly explore this website again. I’m sorry if my English isn’t really adequate, i’m a Spanish language presenter, sorry concerning that. Maintain the great:-RRB-.

37. Realtor in Hinsdale October 13, 2014 at 9:50 am #

I like this net blog really substantially so a lot good data. “It’s a poor sort of memory that only operates backward.” by Lewis Carroll.

38. Pilgrim October 15, 2014 at 7:06 am #

Likewise, hip hop culture has populazrised the slang terrm bling-bling , wbich refers to
    ostentatious display of jewelry by males or ladies. The
    historical past of jewellery is a long one, with many alternative
    makes use off among completely different cultures.

39. Levi October 15, 2014 at 9:28 pm #

Gredat blog here! Additionally yohr webb site a lot up veery fast!
    What ost arre you the usage of? Can I am getting
    your associate link onn yourr host?I desire my site
    loaded up ass quickloy ass yors lol

40. Scarlett October 15, 2014 at 9:41 pm #

It’s truly a great and useful pece oof information. I’m happy that
    youu shared tthis useful information with us.
    Please keep us up tto dafe llike this. Thanks forr sharing.

41. backlinks indexer software October 16, 2014 at 7:45 pm #

Hello i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace,
    when i read this article i thought i could also create comment due
    to this sensible paragraph.

42. Etsuko October 17, 2014 at 3:23 pm #

I’m now nott sure thee place you’re gettging your information, however
    good topic. I must spend a while finding ouut
    more oor working oout more. Thanks for great info I waas looking
    foor this info for my mission.

43. Danial October 18, 2014 at 6:45 am #

We’re a unch of volunteers and starting a neew scheje in our community.
    Yourr weeb site propvided uus wityh valjable informtion to woek on.
    You’ve one ann impressive jjob annd ouur entiree neighborhoo shall bee thankful to you.

44. harga hp murah October 24, 2014 at 5:20 am #

You made some clear points there. I did a search on the subject matter and found most individuals will consent with your website.

45. shilaoshi.com October 27, 2014 at 12:27 am #

There are various real estate investments, all of which have
    their pros and cons. Disposition ‘ The sale of merchandise, including
    commercial, residential, and industrial. You are afraid the landlord to possess a
    lot of options as this can hurt you.

1. wiki cheap car - June 30, 2014

Read was interesting, stay in touch……

[...]please visit the sites we follow, including this one, as it represents our picks from the web[...]……