Skydive from Space — Red Bull Pilot Felix Baumgartner Breaks the Speed of Sound from 120,000 feet

Congratulations to “Fearless Felix” and the crew at Red Bull for inspiring the world’s imagination yesterday when Felix Baumgartner stepped out of his capsule halfway to outer space and plummeted back to Earth from more than 120,000 feet (24 miles) above Roswell, New Mexico. The 43-year-old pilot became the first person to break the sound barrier outside an aircraft reaching speeds of mach 1.24 (834mph). To break the record, he stepped off a tiny ledge outside his capsule, a pod-like unit that carried him nearly 25 miles up into the stratosphere by an super-thin, 55-story-tall balloon that Red Bull and he designed for this skydive from space. Red Bull and Felix captured every moment of the “Mission to the Edge of Space” or “Supersonic Freefall,” feat on video – and broadcast the entire process to the world LIVE yesterday. The coverage and trending on social channels rivaled the Sunday afternoon NFL games. The full jump is captured in the video above. A helmet cam view was featured on a European news station this morning. Check it out below. It features an incredible view of the Earth! Doh! Removed. Heard from a reader and then verified that the helmet cam release was a bootleg…thx for the tip. We’ll keep our eyes posted for a legit source from Felix and RedBull…

As a result of the jump, Felix Baumgartner now holds the record for completing the highest-altitude jump and highest manned-balloon flight. He did not however break the record for the longest fee-fall as he had hoped. This is still held by retired U.S. Air Force Col. Joe Kittinger’s 1960 jump.Kittinger, who served as part of Baumgartner’s support team for this attempt, spent 5-minutes-35-seconds in free-fall during his Air Force mission jump while Baumgartner was in free-fall for 4:20 before pulling his chute during the Red Bull Stratos jump.

According to Baumgartner, the Red Bull space jump was between five and seven years in the making. The budget associated with this visionary (and now highly-successful) project are unknown, but the figures are probably also somewhere in the stratosphere.

To see a ton more on the jump go over to Red Bull’s media site here.

Hi there, just wanted to say, I enjoyed this article. It was practical. Keep on posting!

never visiting your blog again says:

there are so many things wrong with this article, care to do a bit of research next time?

David says:

Give him a break dude, he’s a fan / blogger, not an accredited news source.
Well done Chase, btw, there is a properly accredited Red Bull body cam video out now, if you wanted to post it, totally rad.

Luis Murillo says:

I heard, during the live feed in YouTube, that some of the cameras in Felix’s suit didn’t broadcast the feed but instead kept it with the camera as the BBC would be making a documentary about the whole project, so I guess we’ll have to wait for the documentary to be released.

Kittinger’s free fall time was 4:36, rather than 5:35. Source: http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=562

David says:

Chase,
THIS IS NOT THE HELMET CAM, or an approved source video
Buddy ripped this low res of the live shoot, and has monitized Felix’s and Redbulls accomplishment.
If I were you I’d pull this post and replace it with a properly sourced link.

Chase says:

David- thanks for your note…responded to you above, so it’s ok now ease up on the comments here. we tracked down that it was a bootleg and updated it. Thanks!

David says:

Good response, no nasty intended, apologies if you took it that way.
We all click on and post stuff, and I know it would matter to you, once you knew what you had there.

David says:

Oh, just noticed, that wasnt me above, Dave … David … different guys

Ed Atrero says:

That spin he went into was insane. So glad felix was able to stabilize himself. It was very scary for a few moments there.

Dave says:

Not to steal away from the main point of this story, but I gotta say, Chase, I’m a little shocked at the first video you’ve posted here. You’ve spoken out a few times about rights protection and getting your stuff hacked, but you share a video which is, in essence, a bootleg video. I know you didn’t shoot the video, but you’re advocating it by posting it here.

Chase says:

hey dave – i had no idea that the clip that has appeared on CBS, Fox, and the German station I posted to was a bootleg. Thanks for the heads up. As an aside, I’m not advocating anything other than Felix’s awesomeness, the cool things that we can do with technology and cameras and the note that I got from friends who produced the event asking me to share what I could on the heroic journey. This isn’t the wall street – I don’t warrant it as such either- just doing my best. in the future a simple “heads up” from you is appreciated and i’ll make the adjustments. Thanks

aside here’s a video panel I’m in with the red bull head of content distribution, Greg Jacobs. The guy is seriously smart.

I love that the first person to greet him back on earth was a photographer.