iPad Mini Launches — Some Photographers Will Be Extra Happy

ipad mini on chase jarvis blog

Phil Schiller holds up the iPad mini

If the best camera is the one that’s with us, the camera phone wins for me (iPhone in particular, but I’m excited for all models). But let’s take a departure for a second, because just minutes ago Phil Schiller announced the new iPad mini.

// 7.9 inch diagonal screen
// A5 dual core chip
// Facetime HD
// 5MP iSight Camera
// LTE wireless + 2x faster wi-fi
// lightening connectioin
// 10 hour battery life
// starting at $329

What will this do for us photographers? Here’s my quick thoughts:

// advertising photogs – stoked, but not all that much changes.
// wedding + portrait photogs – stoked, but not all that much changes.
// journalists + editorial creatives – revolutionary. iPhone camera + small device has been a treat for ALL photographers, but the new iPad mini seems to run double for journalists because it’s handheld with a great camera and actually a surface you can compose a story on… Ever seen people taking photos with an iPad? Sort of goofy. Or seen a journalist composing a press-ready story? Also sort of goofy. IMHO, this new iPad might not be for everyone (although all us geeks and fanboys will get one for the thrill…) but it really seems to fill that void for the journalist – shoot photos and compose. Just a thought.

40 Responses to iPad Mini Launches — Some Photographers Will Be Extra Happy

1. James October 23, 2012 at 11:29 am #

A lot of journalists already use the iPad, but it seems that not many have realized they can actually use it for photo/video. Hopefully this will change that. I work as a promotions producer at a news station, and one of the most frustrating things is having to WAIT till the reporter and photog get back in house so I can get the video to promote the story. Granted, when I do get it, the quality is great. But most of the time, I would rather have something that is not quite as good but immediate.

2. Chase October 23, 2012 at 11:32 am #

so will this mini be perfect for you @james?

3. George Lien October 23, 2012 at 11:39 am #

It’s sad to watch today’s presentation, since the last time Apple had to do a side-by-side comparison with its competitor’s products was back in the days when the company had to sell us that PowerPC G5 CPUs are much faster than the Intel CPUs.

>_< It's official, Apple is playing catch-up with Google with its brand new iPad mini.

• Mark the Bird! October 23, 2012 at 9:57 pm #

Not even in the same ball park!

4. Dave Wilson October 23, 2012 at 11:48 am #

Chase, speaking of the Best Camera, are you ever going to an update of the Best Camera App?

• Ivan October 27, 2012 at 5:53 am #

And what about an Android version?

5. Mark Matthews October 23, 2012 at 12:04 pm #

For me showing clients my work on an ipad is really useful, but I find it annoying to drag around with me (i really mean drag, I still rock the ipad 1!!). I’m definitely into this, but more for personal use, it feels more like something the size of a diary, calendar kind of vibe, taking notes, photos, which I love the concept of (my iPhone is way too small to make any sense of tasks like that!). My new electronic moleskin!

P.S. It’s interesting they didn’t chuck in a retina display, although I’m sure it’ll still rock… AND who says Apple is catching up with Google? Has Google (or anyone in the tablet market) made ANYTHING with a build quality as good as that?

• David October 24, 2012 at 10:07 pm #

Mark, I’m with you: I think the Mini opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities as both an e-reader and a writing/note-taking device. An “electronic Moleskine,” as you described it. Coincidentally, the new Mini is almost identical in width/height to the medium-sized Moleskine sitting on my couch, which the Mini may soon replace in my house (and in the back pocket of my jeans).

By the way: Chase, love your work.

6. Mark Matthews October 23, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

Sorry, I meant I love the concept of a “scrapbook” kind of device to keep notes and thoughts – not the concept of photos and videos on a tablet! Der!

7. Russell October 23, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Thanks for the update Chase. I’m a bit perplexed as I was looking for the retina display and an 8mp camera.

• Chase October 23, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

retina display would render all the current apps out of date for ipad – not a good move. we will see it come down the pipeline in the future, but not for a bit

• Mark October 24, 2012 at 6:06 am #

I think not including a retina display was more towards to the idea of insuring a future (successful) update to the mini was possible. Imagine in 6-12 months (or whatever turn-around time) Apple coming out with a new mini…with retina display! A tactic that has been used on previous Apple products (although not limited to Apple of course).

And then think of the ‘awesome factor’ when they also announce an 8mp camera with that retina display in the Mini 2.

• Jeff November 10, 2012 at 7:04 am #

Damn now I got to hold off and wait a year for the mini with retina because I already saw the two side by side and it’s noticeable. Damn apple.

• Bruce October 27, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

“retina display would render all the current apps out of date for ipad”

Not a problem. There are already retina display apps for the full size iPad 3rd and 4th generation. As the current iPad mini has the same screen size in pixels as the iPad 2, a future retina iPad mini would share the same pixel dimensions, and the same apps, as the already existing 3rd and 4th gen iPad.

I agree with Mark, the current iPad mini is not retina for price and profit reasons. Next year I expect a retina mini at or near the current mini prices, and the current mini to stay in production and drop in price.

8. Fredrik Nilsson October 23, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

George, your are missing the same point here. When you compare an Apple PC with a Windows PC, they can often run the same software (making the comparison somewhat useful). When comparing Android tablets with iOS tablets, the comparison is often quite pointless. The Android OS still lacks in the software department (especially when it comes to photo apps). Before someone starts a flame war, I use both iOS (at home) and Android (at work) and they both have their merits.

Chase, I second Dave’s question. Now that two apps that I never thought would update (Mill Colour and Swankolab) have been revised, please show me that three is a charm. ;-)

9. Adam October 23, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

This looks great for when your out the house. Will it fit in a coat pocket? Like others have said its more for notes and taking photos on the go. I would still use my big ipad for consuming content at home. Still £100 more that a Nexus 7. Would have liked it a little cheaper. But its Apple and the build quality will be great.

10. Warren Allen October 23, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

Wireless tethering to one of these bad boys would be boss for some on location shoots. I have used the ipad 2 with the sd reader to review photos with some head shot clients on location a few times and it worked well.

—-Hey adobe how about we get a mini lightroom for a mini ipad?—

@chase we all know you have the connects to pull this off

11. Jay October 23, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

I think the format of the Nexus 7 would lend itself better to that journalistic role. It doesn’t have a rear camera at all though. (I think?) The mini still looks rather large in the photo used at the top of the page, but not big/wide enough to do a nice spacious horizontal keyboard for ease of typing. All the 7″ android tabs are much better suited to that (and watching a wide screen video) Apple just introduces these wider/longer phones/ipods for a “better video experience”, but leave the tablet this shape? One of them is wrong.They probably couldn’t do the long shape because they just sued Samsung for copying them. Then they would be accused of coping Google/Motorola/et all.

12. faisal October 24, 2012 at 7:11 am #

I think the iPhone 5 camera is way better than the iPads (mini and new both).

13. Ifeanyi Enoch Onuoha October 24, 2012 at 8:11 am #

Innovative…powerful product.

14. Wedding Photographer Ireland October 24, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

wish to have one – maybe one day – price is not to high – cool

15. Neil van Niekerk October 24, 2012 at 11:56 pm #

No retina display? My enthusiasm just waned completely.

16. Nils October 25, 2012 at 7:07 am #

A few nits beside, it looks like a great device that fills the not-too-big and not-too-small mobile category. I could actually carry one in a camera bag, whereas the original iPad is a little too big. Equipped for the way a photographer will use it is pricey, though. A retina display would have been nice but would have upped the price even more, and as is it will still be impressive.

17. auckland event photographer October 28, 2012 at 2:58 am #

Ha! with my eye sight getting worse with old age – I’ll wait for the iPad Maxi!

• Jeff November 10, 2012 at 7:06 am #

Yeah that’s what I want a 17 inch iPad to sit on my couch while follow the game chat during NBA season.

18. Paul Santos Photography October 28, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

It’s an ipad – so it’s cool. But I’m not massively impressed with it. Lack of GPS is quite poor, as is the less than market leading quality of the screen – most sub £200 android tablets now have much more ppi and GPS included. Justified price? – not so sure.

19. Daf October 29, 2012 at 8:48 am #

With SUCH a big price difference – IF I get something like this I’d certainly go for the Google Nexus 7.
    Nexus 10 supposed to be out soon too.

20. Daf October 29, 2012 at 9:27 am #

On Cue : Nexus 7 (32Gb) + Nexus 10 announced : http://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/nexus-best-of-google-now-in-three-sizes.html

21. andy November 5, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

I think that artists will love it but the size and cost make it so much more viable option for institutions, businesses, and parents. Don’t be surprised when you start seeing more service industries using these their form of POS. Restaurants, hotels, hospitals, schools, nurseries…the list goes on.

22. Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri November 12, 2012 at 2:10 am #

I use my iPad for photography most of the times during travel. The sort of photos that I take dont need hardcore editing on photoshop and even if I need photoshop I use photoshop touch which is simple and awesome to an extent. iPad mini will sure be a great addition. :)

23. Stephen November 12, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

Or…just get a wi-fi sd card and synch to the tablet/laptop of your choice…..much much much high quality photos + better composing/displaying/ editing device.

24. Hans Youmon November 26, 2012 at 7:50 am #

Thanks a lot for sharing this post. Definitely people will find this as very helpful.

25. Objectif iphone February 6, 2013 at 4:12 am #

I was expecting more than a 5MP camera ! but it still a goos product in between iPad and iPhone !

26. free ipad mini March 13, 2013 at 10:43 pm #

Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely believe that
    this website needs a lot more attention. I’ll probably be back again to read through more, thanks for the information!

27. radio two way radios June 7, 2013 at 7:00 am #

Enjoying the service of Odyssey – Streaming – Radio is so easy.

Often, long term schedules with a bit of breathing room work best.
    Whats more is that 2G phones can come in a tinier and slimmer package, even its batteries.

28. Accessoire iphone June 11, 2013 at 9:30 am #

yeah ! a bit greedy on the pixels… 5MP camera’s not enough !

29. Austin Favaro April 6, 2014 at 7:44 pm #

Thanks for these. Each and every just one is so beautiful.

30. Toms Shoes Outlet Online April 12, 2014 at 3:57 am #

I’m starting up a new internet website directory and was wondering if I can submit your website? I’m trying to increase my directory gradually by hand so that it retains top quality. I will make sure and put your website in the appropriate category and I’ll additionally use, “” as your anchor text. Make sure you let me know if this is acceptable with you by contacting me at:. Cheers

1. iPad mini launches — some photographers will be extra happy « Dominique James, Photographer - October 24, 2012

[...] Chase Jarvis: What will this do for us photographers? [...]