iPad Mini Launches — Some Photographers Will Be Extra Happy

ipad mini on chase jarvis blog

Phil Schiller holds up the iPad mini

If the best camera is the one that’s with us, the camera phone wins for me (iPhone in particular, but I’m excited for all models). But let’s take a departure for a second, because just minutes ago Phil Schiller announced the new iPad mini.

// 7.9 inch diagonal screen
// A5 dual core chip
// Facetime HD
// 5MP iSight Camera
// LTE wireless + 2x faster wi-fi
// lightening connectioin
// 10 hour battery life
// starting at $329

What will this do for us photographers? Here’s my quick thoughts:

// advertising photogs – stoked, but not all that much changes.
// wedding + portrait photogs – stoked, but not all that much changes.
// journalists + editorial creatives – revolutionary. iPhone camera + small device has been a treat for ALL photographers, but the new iPad mini seems to run double for journalists because it’s handheld with a great camera and actually a surface you can compose a story on… Ever seen people taking photos with an iPad? Sort of goofy. Or seen a journalist composing a press-ready story? Also sort of goofy. IMHO, this new iPad might not be for everyone (although all us geeks and fanboys will get one for the thrill…) but it really seems to fill that void for the journalist – shoot photos and compose. Just a thought.

Morton says:

just one hundred SECURED Internet web site(NO SURVEY) (VIRUS Free)- > >Watch the Huge Bang Idea Time 4 Episode twenty The Herb Backyard Germination Megavideo On-line

Maida Lo says:

I’ve been wondering about the similar factor myself lately. Delighted to see an individual on the same wavelength! Nice write-up.

The very heart of your writing while sounding agreeable initially, did not settle properly with me after some time. Somewhere throughout the sentences you managed to make me a believer but just for a while. I nevertheless have got a problem with your jumps in assumptions and you would do nicely to help fill in all those gaps. If you can accomplish that, I will definitely be amazed.

In fact, all the reasons mentioned above are applicable to all men and women. Checking the sugar in the foods you love
can be discouraging as you take off one item after another from the list of foods you once
ate. One may also bears burning pain in legs, feet, arms and hands.

Along with every thing that appears to be developing throughout this particular subject material, your points of view tend to be relatively radical. Having said that, I appologize, but I can not give credence to your whole suggestion, all be it refreshing none the less. It seems to us that your remarks are actually not totally justified and in simple fact you are generally yourself not even thoroughly certain of the assertion. In any event I did appreciate looking at it.

Besvären vid överbelastningsskador kommer ofta smygande och utvecklas långsamt. Eftersom besvären inte är stora till en början så fortsätter den aktive sin idrott trots smärtan.

Hello! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog.
Is it very hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast.
I’m thinking about setting up my own but I’m not sure where to
start. Do you have any tips or suggestions? With thanks

Instant Text Loans UK – quick and convenient help for financial

Dot Theim says:

I think you’ll find M.L. Sukumbhand, BKK Governor for instance has been involved in negotiations. Does a governor trump a Prime Minister? Does an ML trump a Vejajiwa?I don’t know how to play the Sakdina card game. Either way he’s a significant and much respected individual.

Simonne Gove says:

No need to wonder..the honorary degree is for his ability to conjure billions of ringgit into his own pocket and that of his cronies.

Sanctions are obviously not really doing anything constructive. Almost certainly quite the opposite. But it seems a pity not to suggest some lifting of the uniformed tyrrany at the same time. Where exactly are we coming from here?

Maybe someone should explain to those yellow morons that you can vote No only at a referendum, not at a general election .

Considering that it has flamed out, what’s to address?Is this going to be one of those, “I’ve lived here for twenty years, and this is how we’ve always done things” diatribes against people you perceive to be interlopers in your bailiwick?

Rusty Bal says:

Magnificent web site. Plenty of useful information here. I am sending it to a few friends ans also sharing in delicious. And of course, thanks for your effort!

Milan says:

watch movies on

The very crux of your writing whilst appearing reasonable at first, did not settle perfectly with me after some time. Somewhere within the sentences you managed to make me a believer but just for a very short while. I however have a problem with your leaps in assumptions and you would do well to help fill in all those gaps. When you actually can accomplish that, I would definitely be impressed.

Zonia says:

I found your weblog site on google and check a few of your early posts. Proceed to maintain up the superb operate. I simply extra up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. In search of forward to studying more from you afterward!…

I’ve recently in progress a blog, and the information you offer resting on this website has helped me a lot. Thank you for all of your calculate & work.

Wow, awesome blog format! How long have you ever been blogging for? you make running a blog glance easy. The full glance of your website is magnificent, let alone the content!

bathmate says:

I have taken note that of all different types of insurance, health insurance is the most questionable because of the struggle between the insurance cover company’s necessity to remain afloat and the user’s need to have insurance plan. Insurance companies’ commissions on health and fitness plans are extremely low, thus some corporations struggle to gain profits. Thanks for the ideas you talk about through this site.

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely fantastic. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it wise. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a tremendous website.

phen375 says:

Great post and straight to the point. I don’t know if this is in fact the best place to ask but do you guys have any ideea where to get some professional writers? Thx :)

Thank you for this article. I’d personally also like to convey that it can be hard when you’re in school and simply starting out to establish a long history of credit. There are many learners who are just trying to live and have long or positive credit history can occasionally be a difficult issue to have.

Good site! I truly love how it is simple on my eyes and the data are well written. I’m wondering how I could be notified whenever a new post has been made. I’ve subscribed to your RSS which must do the trick! Have a nice day!

An attention-grabbing dialogue is price comment. I feel that you must write more on this subject, it may not be a taboo subject but typically people are not sufficient to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

You’re so awesome! I don’t think I’ve truly read through something like that before. So nice to find someone with a few unique thoughts on this topic. Seriously.. thanks for starting this up. This website is one thing that’s needed on the internet, someone with some originality!

Wow! This can be one particular of the most helpful blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Basically Magnificent. I’m also a specialist in this topic therefore I can understand your hard work.

forum says:

I need to to thank you for this very good read!! I certainly loved every bit of it. I have got you bookmarked to look at new things you post…

website says:

I enjoy looking through a post that can make men and women think. Also, many thanks for allowing for me to comment!

www says:

Hi, I do think this is a great site. I stumbledupon it ;) I will return once again since I book-marked it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to help other people.

Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Thank you, However I am going through troubles with your RSS. I don’t understand why I am unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody else having identical RSS issues? Anybody who knows the answer will you kindly respond? Thanks!!

I’m starting up a new internet website directory and was wondering if I can submit your website? I’m trying to increase my directory gradually by hand so that it retains top quality. I will make sure and put your website in the appropriate category and I’ll additionally use, “” as your anchor text. Make sure you let me know if this is acceptable with you by contacting me at:. Cheers

Thanks for these. Each and every just one is so beautiful.

yeah ! a bit greedy on the pixels… 5MP camera’s not enough !

Enjoying the service of Odyssey – Streaming – Radio is so easy.

Often, long term schedules with a bit of breathing room work best.
Whats more is that 2G phones can come in a tinier and slimmer package, even its batteries.

Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely believe that
this website needs a lot more attention. I’ll probably be back again to read through more, thanks for the information!

I was expecting more than a 5MP camera ! but it still a goos product in between iPad and iPhone !

Hans Youmon says:

Thanks a lot for sharing this post. Definitely people will find this as very helpful.

Stephen says:

Or…just get a wi-fi sd card and synch to the tablet/laptop of your choice…..much much much high quality photos + better composing/displaying/ editing device.

I use my iPad for photography most of the times during travel. The sort of photos that I take dont need hardcore editing on photoshop and even if I need photoshop I use photoshop touch which is simple and awesome to an extent. iPad mini will sure be a great addition. :)

andy says:

I think that artists will love it but the size and cost make it so much more viable option for institutions, businesses, and parents. Don’t be surprised when you start seeing more service industries using these their form of POS. Restaurants, hotels, hospitals, schools, nurseries…the list goes on.

Daf says:

With SUCH a big price difference – IF I get something like this I’d certainly go for the Google Nexus 7.
Nexus 10 supposed to be out soon too.

It’s an ipad – so it’s cool. But I’m not massively impressed with it. Lack of GPS is quite poor, as is the less than market leading quality of the screen – most sub £200 android tablets now have much more ppi and GPS included. Justified price? – not so sure.

Ha! with my eye sight getting worse with old age – I’ll wait for the iPad Maxi!

Jeff says:

Yeah that’s what I want a 17 inch iPad to sit on my couch while follow the game chat during NBA season.

Nils says:

A few nits beside, it looks like a great device that fills the not-too-big and not-too-small mobile category. I could actually carry one in a camera bag, whereas the original iPad is a little too big. Equipped for the way a photographer will use it is pricey, though. A retina display would have been nice but would have upped the price even more, and as is it will still be impressive.

Neil van Niekerk says:

No retina display? My enthusiasm just waned completely.

wish to have one – maybe one day – price is not to high – cool

Innovative…powerful product.

faisal says:

I think the iPhone 5 camera is way better than the iPads (mini and new both).

Coque says:

Here you can find a very interesting review between iPhone 5 camera and iPad mini camera.

The reviews shows that it is quite similar

Jay says:

I think the format of the Nexus 7 would lend itself better to that journalistic role. It doesn’t have a rear camera at all though. (I think?) The mini still looks rather large in the photo used at the top of the page, but not big/wide enough to do a nice spacious horizontal keyboard for ease of typing. All the 7″ android tabs are much better suited to that (and watching a wide screen video) Apple just introduces these wider/longer phones/ipods for a “better video experience”, but leave the tablet this shape? One of them is wrong.They probably couldn’t do the long shape because they just sued Samsung for copying them. Then they would be accused of coping Google/Motorola/et all.

Warren Allen says:

Wireless tethering to one of these bad boys would be boss for some on location shoots. I have used the ipad 2 with the sd reader to review photos with some head shot clients on location a few times and it worked well.

—-Hey adobe how about we get a mini lightroom for a mini ipad?—

@chase we all know you have the connects to pull this off

Adam says:

This looks great for when your out the house. Will it fit in a coat pocket? Like others have said its more for notes and taking photos on the go. I would still use my big ipad for consuming content at home. Still £100 more that a Nexus 7. Would have liked it a little cheaper. But its Apple and the build quality will be great.

George, your are missing the same point here. When you compare an Apple PC with a Windows PC, they can often run the same software (making the comparison somewhat useful). When comparing Android tablets with iOS tablets, the comparison is often quite pointless. The Android OS still lacks in the software department (especially when it comes to photo apps). Before someone starts a flame war, I use both iOS (at home) and Android (at work) and they both have their merits.

Chase, I second Dave’s question. Now that two apps that I never thought would update (Mill Colour and Swankolab) have been revised, please show me that three is a charm. ;-)

Russell says:

Thanks for the update Chase. I’m a bit perplexed as I was looking for the retina display and an 8mp camera.

Chase says:

retina display would render all the current apps out of date for ipad – not a good move. we will see it come down the pipeline in the future, but not for a bit

Mark says:

I think not including a retina display was more towards to the idea of insuring a future (successful) update to the mini was possible. Imagine in 6-12 months (or whatever turn-around time) Apple coming out with a new mini…with retina display! A tactic that has been used on previous Apple products (although not limited to Apple of course).

And then think of the ‘awesome factor’ when they also announce an 8mp camera with that retina display in the Mini 2.

Jeff says:

Damn now I got to hold off and wait a year for the mini with retina because I already saw the two side by side and it’s noticeable. Damn apple.

Bruce says:

“retina display would render all the current apps out of date for ipad”

Not a problem. There are already retina display apps for the full size iPad 3rd and 4th generation. As the current iPad mini has the same screen size in pixels as the iPad 2, a future retina iPad mini would share the same pixel dimensions, and the same apps, as the already existing 3rd and 4th gen iPad.

I agree with Mark, the current iPad mini is not retina for price and profit reasons. Next year I expect a retina mini at or near the current mini prices, and the current mini to stay in production and drop in price.

Sorry, I meant I love the concept of a “scrapbook” kind of device to keep notes and thoughts – not the concept of photos and videos on a tablet! Der!

For me showing clients my work on an ipad is really useful, but I find it annoying to drag around with me (i really mean drag, I still rock the ipad 1!!). I’m definitely into this, but more for personal use, it feels more like something the size of a diary, calendar kind of vibe, taking notes, photos, which I love the concept of (my iPhone is way too small to make any sense of tasks like that!). My new electronic moleskin!

P.S. It’s interesting they didn’t chuck in a retina display, although I’m sure it’ll still rock… AND who says Apple is catching up with Google? Has Google (or anyone in the tablet market) made ANYTHING with a build quality as good as that?

David says:

Mark, I’m with you: I think the Mini opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities as both an e-reader and a writing/note-taking device. An “electronic Moleskine,” as you described it. Coincidentally, the new Mini is almost identical in width/height to the medium-sized Moleskine sitting on my couch, which the Mini may soon replace in my house (and in the back pocket of my jeans).

By the way: Chase, love your work.

Dave Wilson says:

Chase, speaking of the Best Camera, are you ever going to an update of the Best Camera App?

Ivan says:

And what about an Android version?

George Lien says:

It’s sad to watch today’s presentation, since the last time Apple had to do a side-by-side comparison with its competitor’s products was back in the days when the company had to sell us that PowerPC G5 CPUs are much faster than the Intel CPUs.

>_< It's official, Apple is playing catch-up with Google with its brand new iPad mini.

Mark the Bird! says:

Not even in the same ball park!

Chase says:

so will this mini be perfect for you @james?

James says:

A lot of journalists already use the iPad, but it seems that not many have realized they can actually use it for photo/video. Hopefully this will change that. I work as a promotions producer at a news station, and one of the most frustrating things is having to WAIT till the reporter and photog get back in house so I can get the video to promote the story. Granted, when I do get it, the quality is great. But most of the time, I would rather have something that is not quite as good but immediate.