Photographic Evidence of a Superstorm’s Scorn

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

Photo Credit Steve Senne, AP

With the utmost respect and humility I wanted to share this collection of images of the devastation wreaked upon the East Coast by Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy.

“Clobbered” was the headline in this morning Seattle Times, referring to Sandy, the “Super Storm,” that’s pounding the northeast. I just saw images and read a figure that there may well be 20-90 billion in damages as well as continued loss of life. What a crusher. Wanted everyone who is affected over there – including your families and friends – to know that our hearts and thoughts are with you. We hope that the death toll rises no more and that any of the missing or needing rescue find help arrive speedily.

The gallery above is but a fraction of what’s out there. If there are other equally powerful images that we’ve missed, please feel free to share in the comments below.

To those not in harm’s way: If you’re reading this, have ever enjoyed content on this blog or are compelled to help, please join me in donating to the Red Cross here now. $5, $10, $1000 whatever you can give.

Huge debt of gratitude to those journalists and news organizations who are brave enough to be capturing thse images in NYC, Washington and surroundings and sharing them with the world. Thank you to the photographers who are out there enduring the risk and for raising our awareness. Your photos, video and stories are keeping us connected as the event unfolds. Without your courage and commitment the rest of us would have but the faintest of notions as to Sandy’s destructive power.

Thanks and keep holding on.

16 Responses to Photographic Evidence of a Superstorm’s Scorn

1. Chris October 30, 2012 at 10:48 am #

That last one will be any walmart in the country right now. That’s where the candy goes.

2. B October 30, 2012 at 12:19 pm #

Pic 6 sure looks like Havana, Chase!

3. faisal October 31, 2012 at 5:14 am #

Takes guts to take pics in such situations.

4. AKBAR IKRAM October 31, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

ITS A GREAT DISASTER,WE PRAY AIMIGHTY ALLAH TO GIVE STRENTH TO ALL AFFECTEES

5. Eric Reichbaum November 2, 2012 at 10:15 am #

My town, Rockaway Beach got hit really hard. I took some photos yesterday when I finally got to go back to assess damage: http://www.flickr.com/photos/baummer/sets/72157631912764518/

6. Ace Bouchard November 3, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

Here is a couple of pictures I took in Red Hook, and Dumbo the day after it hit. http://500px.com/acebouch/sets/hurricane_sandy

7. Paul Santos Photography November 9, 2012 at 4:04 am #

We might moan about the weather here in the UK – but most of the time we don’t realise just how lucky we are.

8. khalid November 19, 2012 at 11:38 pm #

I was looking for an impressive iPhone/iPad app for editing my photographs and one of my friend had recommended me very cool app named “Photo Splash Fx”. Although I have tried many others but this one is simply wonderful, as it enables me to

· Make my shots awesome, no matter if they are old vintage, black and white or new high resolution colorful photos, by applying a plethora of special effects.

· Use selective colors, variety of brush sizes (adjust manually or automatically), gestures like Pan/Zoom/Splash, unlimited Undos, Colorize, Tintalize, Recolor, blend brush to create custom effects and text blending on your photo.

· It supports both landscape or portrait mode and options like loading/importing photo from Cloud, instead of just from the camera or photo library.

· Choice of 135+ built-in effects on different parts of the same photo and still have the option of creating your own custom effects.

· Option to make favorite list of built-in effects to choose them easily for future.

· Sharing my edited photographs with friends through Email, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Picassa, Dropbox or post it in form of the post card, to anywhere in the world.

9. Marty Shumsky December 22, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

Really Good Job…. You Helping People A lot.

10. Benny Kriston January 6, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

I am genuinely loving the theme/design of your website. Solve you ever trickle keen on some web browser compatibility issues? A tiny number of my blog audience have complained about my blog not in use in the approved manner in Traveler nevertheless looks fantastic in Firefox. Do you’ve got any solutions to avoid set a date for this concern?

11. khalid January 7, 2013 at 5:17 am #

Digital photography is becoming the most popular hobby of the world today. The recent developments of smartphones, iphone/ipad has changed the way, how we think of photography. To give professional touch to your photographs, now it is not necessary to consult some professional. One may use various tools and apps to make one’s photographs masterpieces instantly with a few taps, particularly those taken on graduation/wedding ceremony, honeymoon trip or New Year celebrations. I have used many such apps in recent past. One of such app is Photo Splash FX on iPhone/iPad that provides following unique features that you can’t find in any other app altogether. I noticed following notable features:

· Make your shots awesome, no matter if they are old vintage, black and white or new high resolution colorful photos, by applying a plethora of special effects.

· Share your masterpiece with your friends through Email, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Picassa, Dropbox or post it in form of the post card, to anywhere in the world.

12. Peru Travel January 10, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

Just found this blog and love it. As a fellow (amateur) photographer this is the kind of site that helps us all out.

So as a fellow photographer I appreciate the work that has gone in behind the camera the take this shot (walking in the rain, protecting the camera, getting wet, being cold) to get the perfect shot.

And as a Brit, I love the weather!

13. Tamera Schopflin January 17, 2013 at 4:56 am #

I take pleasure in that which you guys are often cheery sense too. This create of skillful manage and reporting! Keep the sunny installation guys We have incorporated a person guys to blogroll.

14. the walking dead season 3 episodes March 2, 2013 at 11:51 am #

Ford has made a mark in being the most liked domestic
    car as well as in the truck series. The diesel model
    of the Ford Figo has a 1399 cc, 1. The Chevrolet can use biodiesel, gasoline,
    electricity, or E85 ethanol.

15. Perry Fallen April 10, 2014 at 9:00 pm #