Pitch Your Creative Vision [chasejarvisLIVE rewatch]

Last week I hosted author and pitch guru Oren Klaff on chasejarvisLIVE. Wow. I knew it was going to be good – but we had no idea that there would be such a huge reaction to Oren and the information he shared from his book Pitch Anything. The community has been talking about it all week. So here it is again for your viewing and eternal viewing pleasure. Oren is not only the purveyor of more than $500 Million (yeah- read that twice) in successful pitches in a variety of industries – he also happens to be hilarious. Watch the episode to hear some of his epic quotes. He and his book – and a simple framework of how to make YOU and YOUR WORK become “the prize” — has helped me perhaps more than any other book on “selling” AND I think he can help you too.

Believing in your work is not an F-in tactic. -Oren Klaff

If you’ve been around my blog or this community for long, you’ll know that my focus is photography and directing, but most of all my guiding mantra is about living a more creative life – whether a photographer, filmmaker, designer, chef, painter, dancer, whatever. While we LOVE to focus on tapping into our “creative side” – take it from me, if you ever want to have a chance at earning a REAL LIVING with your creativity (or, hell, even making even a dime with your work) then being able to PITCH and SELL your work is essential. Don’t make me say that twice. The age-old idea of the starving artist is a sad, boring, and tired one. Better learn to talk about, position, pitch and sell what you make. This episode gives a road map to getting started.

Any of this resonate with you?

_ ever had anxiety about how to present your work to a client?
_are you confident with your skill as an artist – but discouraged by your ability to get paying work?
_have you ever seen a major campaign/exhibition and thought, “I can do better photos/film/copy than that?” …and wondered why you’re not getting the job?
_do you know that the demand for creatives going UP and is one of the fastest growing segments?

I already know your answer to those questions above. Check out the mission critical re-watch above for all the goods.

Special thanks to our cjLIVE show sponsors: HP, Broncolor, Manfrotto and B&H. We genuinely love what they do, make and sell.

Please show them you care and follow them on Twitter at: @hpprint, @HasselbladBron, @manfrotto_tweet, @BHPhotoVideo

24 Responses to Pitch Your Creative Vision [chasejarvisLIVE rewatch]

1. Phil October 3, 2012 at 10:33 am #

Chase,

Your show is valuable, no doubt, but you constantly interrupt your expert guests when they are trying to get a rhythm in making their points. Oren was great about being patient with you, but I could see his frustration. There is no point is having experts on to educate your viewers, when you steal the stage from them. It’s better to pose a question and then stay quiet until the guest has finished talking. It is an important trait in good interviewers.

Best,

Phil

• chase jarvis October 3, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

thanks Phil. was working with Oren to stay on topic – since his ideas and practices are from an area different than photography or creative services. I was working to keep the conversation relevant – Oren and I talked at length about this over wine the night before and may laughs as well as in sound check, etc. We were having a blast despite your supposition of him being frustrated.

It’s my job to keep us focused – sorry you didn’t like how it rolled on this one. there’s always next time ;)

• derwinism October 3, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

Good show, super high octane just like me, I understood. Chase, if you are ever in the Big Apple I would love to have drink with you and your team.

derwin

• Claude October 4, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

Great guest Chase. I’m glad I had the time to listen to it. I do agree with the interruption objection. Let the guy talk, we are smart enough to make it relevant to our business.

• Jose July 22, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

i tend to read the comments before watching the show. while watching i kept thinking ‘when does it get to the part where Chase interrupts the guy??’
        i got a LOT of this show! Oren would probably admit to being a little verbose and i think you did a great job of keeping him on point as you said.
        i have gotten SO much out of your Chase Jarvis Live shows! thanks for putting them out there. and in case you think i’m blowing smoke up your keister, i do have to point out…what was up with your sideburns, dude?? totally uneven!!!

• Doug October 4, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

Agree, Chase, you might allow for more space. Think about how you photograph. Over planning it means you can miss the magic. You set the stage and ground, but have space above it for the creativity of an interview to emerge.

• Tara January 19, 2014 at 9:43 am #

I totally agree with Phill. I loved the conversation and the idea but I had lots of moments where I would think I want him to finish the sentence.

2. Nicolae Cioloca October 3, 2012 at 5:32 pm #

Hey Chase,

my opinion is similiar to Phils`.
    You interupted him a lot, although like you said you threw in some photo-relevant info, and then threw the ball back to him.

Still I think you took a little of his energy and tried to frame him as you lead the conversation very strongly as you stopped and resumed him.

Its hard to get this interv. in a 1,5 hour timeframe I know that.

Maybe film the “the night before over wine” too…

I STILL LOVE YOU CHASE !!!
    KEEP ON providing this stuff.

Although it looks more n more like you try to put it into a spec. format to be able to commercialize it more ;-)

STILL LOVE.

NICO

3. Bram Berkien October 4, 2012 at 6:46 am #

Bloody awesome, got me totally psyched.

• faisal October 4, 2012 at 8:02 am #

Same here. Its amazing motivation too.

4. Paul October 4, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

amazing and inspiring show. I got the book
    thank you for sharing.
    always awesome job
    cheers

5. Adam Faulkner October 22, 2012 at 12:44 am #

This was a great cjLive. Got Oran’s book and reading it at the minute.

6. nao November 22, 2012 at 12:05 am #

you guys are very entertaining, really. Its easy to treat clients like s**t when have them lined up at ur door. but for the rest of us, this sounds like startrek.. but thanks.. :)

7. Margery Essman November 26, 2012 at 7:32 am #

Why would bidders want the public in with them?

8. Jason Gosch December 23, 2012 at 12:00 am #

Splendid info and right to the point. I don’t know if this is truly the best place to ask but do you guys have any thoughts on where to hire some professional writers? Thx :)

9. Lisha Bogdanovich January 31, 2013 at 1:19 am #

I’ve understood that slightest 4475727 times. SCK was here

10. Kirby Trimmell February 14, 2013 at 6:17 am #

Helpful facts. Propitious me I found your website by risk, and I’m stunned why this coincidence didn’t occurred upfront! I bookmarked it.

11. How to Sing Gospel January 27, 2014 at 9:19 am #

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know
    so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but
    other than that, this is great blog. A fantastic read.
    I’ll definitely be back.

12. visalus body by vi challenge April 2, 2014 at 3:12 am #

Thank you for every other informative site. Where else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect manner? I’ve a undertaking that I am just now working on, and I’ve been at the look out for such information.

13. click this link now April 10, 2014 at 9:19 am #

Wow! this cartoon type YouTube video I have seen when I was in primary level and at this time I am in college and seeing that once more here.

14. Morton Sports Picks April 20, 2014 at 11:00 am #

Someone essentially lend a hand to make significantly posts I might state. This is the first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I surprised with the research you made to make this actual post incredible. Magnificent task!

15. Bowie May 24, 2014 at 4:34 pm #

I truly love your blog.. Pleasant colors & theme. Did you make this amazing site yourself? Please reply back as I’m looking to create my very own site and want to find out where you got this from or just what the theme is called. Cheers!

16. Al June 27, 2014 at 10:25 am #

Here’s what I got out of this:

1. Be manipulative & talk down to clients instead of treating them as human beings interested in a mutually beneficial relationship.

2. Don’t worry about protecting your ideas or intellectual property because if your ideas can be stolen, they probably suck. [Tell that to the guys who came up with Facebook]

Real good advice for a young kid just starting out…

1. Required Reading 10.5.2012 — Luke Copping - Blog - October 5, 2012

[...] all creatives from Chase Jarvis’ awesome Chase Jarvis Live series featuring Oren Klaff on how to pitch your creative vision.  Cancel [...]