London photographer Roman Sakovich has hit a nerve – many nerves that is, including mine – with his recent portrait series titled “Half”. Thru some simple but astute post production, Sakovich combines the two halves of a person…on the left ‘before’ addiction & abuse, and on the right, after, at full throttle. Certainly the studio photos have been enhanced, but the results don’t waver. Simple photographs, compelling + robust narrative. Signs of good art. #Respect. Great series, Roman.

Visit Roman’s site is here. [caught this via PSFK + Hypenotice]

18 Responses to Drug Abuse Portraits: Haunting Before & After Drug Addiction Photos by Roman Sakovich

1. Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri November 14, 2012 at 9:28 am #

aaah!!! You found this too and yeah they are very compelling. I saw these too.

• khalid November 19, 2012 at 11:43 pm #

I was looking for an impressive iPhone/iPad app for editing my photographs and one of my friend had recommended me very cool app named “Photo Splash Fx”. Although I have tried many others but this one is simply wonderful, as it enables me to

· Make my shots awesome, no matter if they are old vintage, black and white or new high resolution colorful photos, by applying a plethora of special effects.

· Use selective colors, variety of brush sizes (adjust manually or automatically), gestures like Pan/Zoom/Splash, unlimited Undos, Colorize, Tintalize, Recolor, blend brush to create custom effects and text blending on your photo.

· It supports both landscape or portrait mode and options like loading/importing photo from Cloud, instead of just from the camera or photo library.

· Choice of 135+ built-in effects on different parts of the same photo and still have the option of creating your own custom effects.

· Option to make favorite list of built-in effects to choose them easily for future.

· Sharing my edited photographs with friends through Email, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Picassa, Dropbox or post it in form of the post card, to anywhere in the world.

• khalid November 26, 2012 at 1:42 am #

Version 2:

Being an experienced photographer are you looking for some impressive iPhone/iPad app to make your photographs masterpieces instantly with a few taps? Try Photo Splash FX, with following unique features that you can’t find in any other app altogether:

· Make your shots awesome, no matter if they are old vintage, black and white or new high resolution colorful photos, by applying a plethora of special effects.
        · Share your masterpiece with your friends through Email, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Picassa, Dropbox or post it in form of the post card, to anywhere in the world.

2. Evan November 14, 2012 at 10:02 am #

Tell you the truth, I’ve been quite surprised at the attention these photos have received. They’re certainly well enough executed, but in a narrative sense they don’t go any further than any number of similar efforts, and they are weakened by being models and makeup. I found the “faces of meth” series, while less ‘artsy’ dramatically more moving, just because they were real people, and the changes weren’t simulated.

• Kat Landreth November 28, 2012 at 1:48 pm #

I think I agree with you. These are really well done, but less moving than real instances of drug abuse. I think faces of Meth are more artsy, and less contrived than these. I applaud the team that created these images, but they aren’t quite as jarring as the real thing.

3. Rui Cruz November 14, 2012 at 10:02 am #

Amazing stuff! Great shots, simple, effective, poignant… It’s got everything. One of those things you’d wish you thought of…

Food for through, as well.

Great job!

• khalid December 31, 2012 at 4:45 am #

Digital photography is becoming the most popular hobby of the world today. The recent developments of smartphones, iphone/ipad has changed the way, how we think of photography. To give professional touch to your photographs, now it is not necessary to consult some professional. One may use various tools and apps to make one’s photographs masterpieces instantly with a few taps, particularly those taken on graduation/wedding ceremony, honeymoon trip or New Year celebrations. I have used many such apps in recent past. One of such app is Photo Splash FX on iPhone/iPad that provides following unique features that you can’t find in any other app altogether. I noticed following notable features:

4. Justin November 14, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

Petapixel had an interview with the photographer that said it wasn’t done through post, but with makeup. Still very cool.

5. Daniel Brennan November 14, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

Yeah, the huffington post said it was all done in studio (slight post-production).

6. Chris Blizzard November 15, 2012 at 1:45 am #

The fact that it’s done in the studio with makeup, not by combining images in post changes the images completely. It doesn’t show the difference that drugs make. It shows what difference the photographer THINKS they make.

7. faisal November 15, 2012 at 5:12 am #

Very well captured and depicted.

8. Tony Fouhse November 15, 2012 at 9:30 am #

bogus.

9. Nick November 17, 2012 at 8:20 am #

I don’t get it. How is this any different, or any more compelling, than before and after pictures of a zombie attack? It’s just makeup.

I have no doubt that people who use drugs can have drastic changes to their physical appearance, and this may even be representative of that, but it’s fake (makeup)…

What would be much more interesting is photos of actual drug users who look horrible as a result of their drug use. These are just photos proving that someone is good with makeup.

10. Fredrick sears November 21, 2012 at 11:52 pm #

” reality is stranger then any fiction”
    I forget the author of that quote but it applies to these images.
    These are decent illustrations of a problem but a ways from the reality of trying not to gag, while you look for a pulse on someone you know.

As a photographer with leanings to journalism theses images seem trite.
    And i think of Susan Sontag and John Bergers thoughts on imagery.

11. Kuvausta November 22, 2012 at 8:14 am #

I am not sure if I can call these pictures beautiful but they describe pretty well what drugs can do very quickly and especially if you are living on the streets.

12. Johnny Hofstad November 26, 2012 at 7:48 am #

Always good to find something new and interesting to learn from. Great website you’ve got here.

13. Drug Abuse December 9, 2012 at 10:57 am #

nice tnx u

14. Dan February 2, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

Sadly, I found these quite banal. Without drugs …. wear suit. after drugs … denim jacket or tack top. The apparel of those druggy guys are what I wear most of the time. And occassionally, I don’t shave! I guess if I deny any addiction, I’m simply ling to myself!