NASA Photographer & Astronaut Donald Pettit Shoots In Space

Photography is in my blood, and space has always held a fascination for me. Easy to see then why photographer and NASA astronaut Donald Pettit’s talk about photographing in space held me rapt. No models or art directors, editors, agents or clients, just this one man an his small struggles to capture an environment that not many get to experience.

Watch the vid to learn about his work, his equipment, and a surreal existence aboard the space station for 370 days over 3 trips to space. Couple photos below to whet your palette for the talk…

[Saw this via PetaPixel - and big ups to our friends at Photoshelter for hosting Donald at Luminance 2012 and sharing this content.Check 'em out.]

donpettit2 nasa via photoshelter

Photo by Donald Pettit - NASA

ISS030 star trail composite don pettit nasa

Photo by Donald Pettit - NASA

donpettit-1nasa via photoshelter

Photo by Donald Pettit - NASA

[Saw this via PetaPixel - and big ups to our friends at Photoshelter for hosting Donald at Luminance 2012 and sharing this content. Check them out.]

13 Responses to NASA Photographer & Astronaut Donald Pettit Shoots In Space

1. Jim Shaw November 7, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

I enjoy everything you post but this one was awe inspiring, Thank you for the post. Jim

2. Cesar Palima November 7, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

3. Tim Roper November 7, 2012 at 9:52 pm #

I think everyone can agree on this one: way cool.

4. faisal November 8, 2012 at 5:33 am #

Wow, simply outstanding!

5. JonathanMengadotcom November 8, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

More than I expected. Very Inspiring.

6. jonathan kasempa November 9, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

i m a film actor in Africa advice

7. jonathan kasempa November 9, 2012 at 10:45 pm #

i m a video grapher

8. Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri November 10, 2012 at 7:29 am #

Inspirational and awesome. Thanks for sharing!!!

9. Jacinto Colabrese November 18, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

I think that I use that awesome post to my job :)

10. khalid November 19, 2012 at 11:40 pm #

I was looking for an impressive iPhone/iPad app for editing my photographs and one of my friend had recommended me very cool app named “Photo Splash Fx”. Although I have tried many others but this one is simply wonderful, as it enables me to

· Make my shots awesome, no matter if they are old vintage, black and white or new high resolution colorful photos, by applying a plethora of special effects.

· Use selective colors, variety of brush sizes (adjust manually or automatically), gestures like Pan/Zoom/Splash, unlimited Undos, Colorize, Tintalize, Recolor, blend brush to create custom effects and text blending on your photo.

· It supports both landscape or portrait mode and options like loading/importing photo from Cloud, instead of just from the camera or photo library.

· Choice of 135+ built-in effects on different parts of the same photo and still have the option of creating your own custom effects.

· Option to make favorite list of built-in effects to choose them easily for future.

· Sharing my edited photographs with friends through Email, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Picassa, Dropbox or post it in form of the post card, to anywhere in the world.

11. khalid December 31, 2012 at 5:20 am #

Digital photography is becoming the most popular hobby of the world today. The recent developments of smartphones, iphone/ipad has changed the way, how we think of photography. To give professional touch to your photographs, now it is not necessary to consult some professional. One may use various tools and apps to make one’s photographs masterpieces instantly with a few taps, particularly those taken on graduation/wedding ceremony, honeymoon trip or New Year celebrations. I have used many such apps in recent past. One of such app is Photo Splash FX on iPhone/iPad that provides following unique features that you can’t find in any other app altogether. I noticed following notable features:

· Make your shots awesome, no matter if they are old vintage, black and white or new high resolution colorful photos, by applying a plethora of special effects.

· Share your masterpiece with your friends through Email, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Picassa, Dropbox or post it in form of the post card, to anywhere in the world.

12. 行動電源 June 23, 2013 at 1:31 am #

This web site truly has all the information I required regarding this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

1. Shots from Space by Donald Pettit - Anthony Turano Blog: Fashion Photographer, Montreal, New York, Miami, Toronto – Advertsing, Beauty, Editorial and Commercial - November 15, 2012

[...] Read full article and see pics here. [...]