chase jarvis mountain bike

What: bike shot

Why this angle: the air + the trail tells a good story. plus all those vertical lines kept the scene clean. Nice light too…looking up really “opened up” the image. Simplicity almost always wins – in this case it does.

How: I laid under the jump and motor-drived the action at 9fps. we shot several attempts to ensure the rider was in the right spot relative to the rest of the scene…plus we added in the little bike tilt for some flair.

Gear n such: Nikon D3s. Nikkor 14-242l8 lens shot at 15mm. ISO 800. f3.5 1/1000sec (Here’s a link for you gear folks)

Feel free to let me know what you think. Or just tell me you like it.

32 Responses to Photo of the Day [plus what + why + how + gear]

1. Alexander Petrov November 15, 2012 at 11:33 am #

I fancy the shot. & the camera it was taken with.

But above that, I fancy the fact that you just posted this, Chase. Minutes ago I’d spotted you in the CreativeLive studio. You’re one productive dude. Props!

• khalid November 19, 2012 at 11:43 pm #

I was looking for an impressive iPhone/iPad app for editing my photographs and one of my friend had recommended me very cool app named “Photo Splash Fx”. Although I have tried many others but this one is simply wonderful, as it enables me to

· Make my shots awesome, no matter if they are old vintage, black and white or new high resolution colorful photos, by applying a plethora of special effects.

· Use selective colors, variety of brush sizes (adjust manually or automatically), gestures like Pan/Zoom/Splash, unlimited Undos, Colorize, Tintalize, Recolor, blend brush to create custom effects and text blending on your photo.

· It supports both landscape or portrait mode and options like loading/importing photo from Cloud, instead of just from the camera or photo library.

· Choice of 135+ built-in effects on different parts of the same photo and still have the option of creating your own custom effects.

· Option to make favorite list of built-in effects to choose them easily for future.

· Sharing my edited photographs with friends through Email, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Picassa, Dropbox or post it in form of the post card, to anywhere in the world.

2. David Mansfield November 15, 2012 at 11:38 am #

Sick shot! Love your action work. Did you use any fill flash?

• khalid November 26, 2012 at 1:36 am #

Being an experienced photographer are you looking for some impressive iPhone/iPad app to make your photographs masterpieces instantly with a few taps? Try Photo Splash FX, with following unique features that you can’t find in any other app altogether:

· Make your shots awesome, no matter if they are old vintage, black and white or new high resolution colorful photos, by applying a plethora of special effects.
      · Share your masterpiece with your friends through Email, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Picassa, Dropbox or post it in form of the post card, to anywhere in the world.

3. Owais Rafique November 15, 2012 at 11:42 am #

Makes sense

• khalid December 31, 2012 at 4:39 am #

Digital photography is becoming the most popular hobby of the world today. The recent developments of smartphones, iphone/ipad has changed the way, how we think of photography. To give professional touch to your photographs, now it is not necessary to consult some professional. One may use various tools and apps to make one’s photographs masterpieces instantly with a few taps, particularly those taken on graduation/wedding ceremony, honeymoon trip or New Year celebrations. I have used many such apps in recent past. One of such app is Photo Splash FX on iPhone/iPad that provides following unique features that you can’t find in any other app altogether. I noticed following notable features:

4. Leo Zuckerman November 15, 2012 at 11:45 am #

You forgot ‘Where’! Where is this?

5. Daf November 15, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

Could you mention how you came to decide on those setting – what’s the thought process ?
    E.g. deciding on 1/1000 and ISO 800 then aperture to expose correctly ?

• Nathan November 15, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

I’m guessing his thought process was simply correct exposure, while maintaining a fast enough shutter speed to stop the action….Dept of field doesn’t really come into much play at this focal length….if the subject is 5 feet away (from the back of the camera), he’s got about 10 feet worth of acceptable sharpness to work with….

• Daf November 16, 2012 at 6:04 am #

Ah – thanks. I always expect anything under f4 to be relatively narrow DOF so was curious about the f/3.5 – but forget how much it changes with wide angles/short focal length.

6. Przemek November 15, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Good job Jarvis! As always…

7. Mikelangelo November 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

Love the composition. The trees/background/path really look great. I love the height. I’m not sold on the fact that it’s the backside or the rider… There’s more connection with the environment than the rider…but if that was the point, then I’m cool with that.

I love the overall color, it’s very warm and exciting with the strong lines… I wanna’ lay in the mud and take that kinda’ photo now.

8. Cody November 15, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

I work as a photographer and a Media director at a bike shop. I take a good handfull of action sports photos. I use off camera lighting a lot for everything. Here is a photo from last summer shot with AB-800. http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8902072/ I am not one to Shoot continuous shutter ever unless I want to make a sequence shoot. I spend the time to light and get that one shot I am looking for. The shot in the link is Shot number 3 from this shoot only cuz I want the rider to go bigger.

Cody

9. James Pratt November 15, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

Very nice. This is one of my favorite shots of yours. Simple is good sometimes.

10. Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri November 15, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

This is totally sick man!!! Awesome shot!!! Crisp and Clean!!! Would love to know better about the setup that you used. I think my brain is a little bit low on imaginations and it would be awesome to hear it from the behind this great shot himself. YOU!!!! You are awesome Chase.

11. Nadim November 15, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

Herrlich ein klasse Schuß ich mag dein Stil sehr Chase Jarvis dein Name klingt wie f stop ;) great job!!

12. Adrian Farr November 15, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

Amazing shot Chase. I think you would like some of the tracks near my way in the good old United Kingdom! Death Valley for novice mountain bikers! Thanks for sharing.

13. Bluestill November 15, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

WOW, this is very inspirational for me right now while I climb out of this rut a very trusted manufacturer knocked me into. Looking up and seeing this photo only gave me a vision that I am down, but I am definitely not out!!!

14. Maya November 15, 2012 at 10:25 pm #

Would love to visit and work with you one day CJ!!
    Love your work and your creative brain!
    Cheers from Melbourne, Down Under <3

15. faisal November 16, 2012 at 5:10 am #

Where was this snapped? What was the equipment?

16. Evan November 16, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

Awesome shot Chase as always. Was this shot at Duthie in Issaquah by any chance?

Keep up the hard work!

17. Nina November 16, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

LOVE

18. Max November 17, 2012 at 10:36 am #

Great shot! this is very inspirational, both because of the original POV but also to demonstrate that you can do amazingly powerful and stellar work with little gear (meaning no fancy truckload of flashes etc :) !
    WINNER.
    catch up soon hopefully!
    cheers
    M

19. Professional Photography November 19, 2012 at 1:56 am #

Nice and impressive keep up the good work.

20. Action junkie November 19, 2012 at 10:23 am #

My question is how much time did you spend in photoshop? lol

• Chase November 19, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

under 5 min.

21. Utah Wedding Photographers November 23, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

Nice Capture as always Chase.

22. DanielKphoto November 25, 2012 at 12:19 pm #

Super duper shot, really love this one!

23. biuro rachunkowe December 2, 2012 at 5:38 am #

sucha a coulors! fantastic really

24. Nick Saccary March 1, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

I love how you can see the trees and the rest of the trail as well as the perspective of the photo. On the other hand, being able to see the rider’s face is always an important factor to downhill bike photography.

25. Biuro rachunkowe Kraków March 6, 2013 at 11:34 pm #

I have watched “boston legal” ever since in my college days, i love to watch courtroom drama,,