Sandy’s Aftermath — Text to Donate $ to the Red Cross to help with Relief

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
SpencerPlatt_GettyImages

SpencerPlatt/GettyImages

The damage and scale of the superstorm Sandy continues to come to light today. At least 56 people in the U.S. were killed and another 67 in the Caribbean. Cost estimates are in the $60 billion range and more than 4 million people remain without power. Reports from all of the major news organizations paint a more complete picture by the hour – ranging from major inconvenience to total devastation. To add to the concern, the temperatures in the region have dropped to 35F/2C at night. And there are still questions as to when the power will be restored. There are people who need help – right now.

Beyond sending heartfelt support and love to our friends in the affected region – we can donate the Red Cross, to help bring much needed distribution of hot meals, water, snacks and relief supplies – like blankets. The Red Cross is mobilizing an additional 80,000 blankets for New York and New Jersey and more than 5,000 Red Cross workers from all over the country are supporting shelters, providing food and water at fixed sites, and driving through neighborhoods to distribute meals and supplies. Sixty trailers of relief supplies such as personal hygiene items, cleaning supplies, rakes, shovels, tarps, dust masks and work gloves were delivered this weekend in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut. But this is just the beginning. The response to Sandy is going to be massive – and very costly.

I just donated again to the Red Cross. They make it very easy to do by simply texting “REDCROSS” to 90999 to make a $10 donation. For more details on how to help in a variety of ways go here.

_________________
To see more photos go to The Atlantic photo essay. Heartbreaking photography that informs the world. Thanks to those photographers and news organizations who bring this information to us.

32 Responses to Sandy’s Aftermath — Text to Donate $ to the Red Cross to help with Relief

1. faisal November 6, 2012 at 6:24 am #

The digital world has made so easy to help.

2. khalid November 19, 2012 at 11:40 pm #

I was looking for an impressive iPhone/iPad app for editing my photographs and one of my friend had recommended me very cool app named “Photo Splash Fx”. Although I have tried many others but this one is simply wonderful, as it enables me to

· Make my shots awesome, no matter if they are old vintage, black and white or new high resolution colorful photos, by applying a plethora of special effects.

· Use selective colors, variety of brush sizes (adjust manually or automatically), gestures like Pan/Zoom/Splash, unlimited Undos, Colorize, Tintalize, Recolor, blend brush to create custom effects and text blending on your photo.

· It supports both landscape or portrait mode and options like loading/importing photo from Cloud, instead of just from the camera or photo library.

· Choice of 135+ built-in effects on different parts of the same photo and still have the option of creating your own custom effects.

· Option to make favorite list of built-in effects to choose them easily for future.

· Sharing my edited photographs with friends through Email, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Picassa, Dropbox or post it in form of the post card, to anywhere in the world.

3. Bill Vandermolen November 26, 2012 at 7:43 am #

Thank you for sharing some of the info.

4. khalid January 5, 2013 at 5:04 am #

Digital photography is becoming the most popular hobby of the world today. The recent developments of smartphones, iphone/ipad has changed the way, how we think of photography. To give professional touch to your photographs, now it is not necessary to consult some professional. One may use various tools and apps to make one’s photographs masterpieces instantly with a few taps, particularly those taken on graduation/wedding ceremony, honeymoon trip or New Year celebrations. I have used many such apps in recent past. One of such app is Photo Splash FX on iPhone/iPad that provides following unique features that you can’t find in any other app altogether. I noticed following notable features:

· Make your shots awesome, no matter if they are old vintage, black and white or new high resolution colorful photos, by applying a plethora of special effects.

· Share your masterpiece with your friends through Email, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Picassa, Dropbox or post it in form of the post card, to anywhere in the world.

5. Deja Talladino June 28, 2014 at 11:21 am #

Darn! We have to show up at a gathering at my son’s faculty right when that is definitely occurring.

6. browse page July 3, 2014 at 3:21 pm #

After I originally left a comment I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now whenever a comment is added I receive 4 emails with the exact same comment. Perhaps there is a way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

7. good chiropractor July 12, 2014 at 1:41 am #

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all folks you really understand what you’re talking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also consult with my site =). We could have a hyperlink trade arrangement among us!

8. Chere Munster August 2, 2014 at 5:56 pm #

Howdy! I could have sworn I

9. electric motors August 12, 2014 at 6:00 am #

I only wished to appreciate you however again. I’m not particular what I would have attained with out the whole suggestions documented by you with regards to such location. Definitely was a depressing situation in my position, but encountering this qualified avenue you processed that made me to cry for happiness. I am just happier for your information and facts and in many cases wish you genuinely know what a effective job you occur to become delivering teaching people today right now by way of your net weblog. Most most likely you may have under no circumstances encounter any of us.

10. Cary Drinkwine September 21, 2014 at 7:02 pm #

Many thanks Getty! We will not wait around to obtain started!

11. Kandra Aponta September 22, 2014 at 4:41 am #

Did the Jonathan Ames letter come yet? I signed up in January and i seriously actually hope I didn’t skip it. Is there a way I can examine it if it did already come?

12. the lovely dragon September 23, 2014 at 12:36 am #

I love you.

13. pepperfry discount coupons September 24, 2014 at 10:49 pm #

You have written this article extremely niceely and in a really clear fashion.

14. myntra coupon September 25, 2014 at 12:42 am #

The coupon codes mentioned in the blog seems to working 100%

15. best paid survey sites October 4, 2014 at 7:55 pm #

Great site you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any community forums that cover the same
    topics discussed here? I’d really love to be a part of group where I
    can get advice from other knowledgeable people that share the
    same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    Thanks!

16. Danish jewellery October 6, 2014 at 4:57 am #

Growing political tensions, the after-effects of the war, and
    a response in opposition to the perceived decadence oof the turn of the 20th
    century led to simpller types,mixed with mre effective manufacturing for mass
    manufacturing of excessive-quality jewelry. In Asia, the Indian subcontinent has the longest steady legacy of jewelry
    aking wherever, with a historical past off over 5,000 years.

17. Pilgrim October 9, 2014 at 9:08 pm #

Early jewellery making inn China began around the
    identical period, however it grew tto become widespread with the unfold of Buddhism rounhd 2,000 years inn the
    past. In case you are searching for jewelley for menn then you could have landed
    onto the right web page for that.

18. Lean@outlook.com October 10, 2014 at 12:27 am #

This internet site is actually merely splendid, the details is actually upgraded as well as crystal clear. I will definitely see this site again. I’m sorry if my English isn’t sufficient, i’m a Spanish language speaker, sorry pertaining to that. Maintain the good work:-RRB-.

19. Pilgrim Jewellery Video October 10, 2014 at 11:43 am #

By 1500 BC, the peoples of the Indus Valley were creating gold earrings and necklaces, bead necklaces,
    and mtallic bangles Before 2100 BC, previous to the period when metals
    were broadly used, the biggest jewelry trade within the Indus Valley area was the bead commerce.
    Jewellery within tthe Indfus Valley was worn predominantly by females, who wore quite a few clayy or shhell bracelets on their
    wrists.

20. backlinks indexer review October 16, 2014 at 7:24 pm #

I think that is one of the most vital info
    for me. And i am happy reading your article. However should commentary on few general issues, The website taste is ideal,
    the articles is truly nice : D. Just right activity,
    cheers

21. dildora niyozova ota ona skachat October 17, 2014 at 1:02 am #

For them, there’s a stigma attached to masturbation and the idea of utilizing pleasure toys for their very
    own orgasms when a companion shouldn’t be out there is solely
    not acceptable.

22. Delphia October 17, 2014 at 1:31 pm #

Hi, egerything iss going nicely ere and ofcourse everyy onee is sharing data, that’s in fact excellent,
    keep up writing.

23. website October 18, 2014 at 11:18 pm #

Some really useful info in there. Why not hold some sort of contest for your readers?

24. Wilburn October 19, 2014 at 3:15 am #

I doo not evern kow hhow I enderd upp here, but I thought
    this publish was once good. I don’t understan who yyou miht be bbut definitely you’re goiong tto a well-known blogger when you aren’t already.
    Cheers!

25. Christy October 19, 2014 at 7:56 am #

Wow! Finakly I got a blog frolm whhere I be ahle to truly
    obtain useful information concernong mmy stuudy annd knowledge.

26. Kurtis October 19, 2014 at 11:04 pm #

I tehd not tto wrie a great deal oof responses, however i ddid a few
    sezrching and wound uup here The Afternath of Sandy – Sennd Suppport tto Red
    Cross tto hhelp wiuth Disawster Relief | Chase Jarvis Blog.

Andd I ddo have som questions ffor yyou if it’s
    allright. Is it simply mme or does itt appear like some of thee
    comments appear ass iif theyy aare left bby
    brain dead visitors? :-P And, iff you aare writing on additional obline soial sites, I would like tto kdep uup with everyything new you have to post.
    Woud you list oof thee complpete urls oof alll yyour publkic
    sites like your Facebook page, titter feed, oor linkedin profile?

27. Melodee October 20, 2014 at 2:28 am #

It’s truly verry difficlt in this fulkl oof activity life
    to listen news on Television, sso I onlyy usee internet for that reason, annd gett tthe mosst recent information.

28. district140.ca October 20, 2014 at 11:00 am #

Verry goo article. I am going through a few of thesze issues as well..

29. Lorette Willer October 23, 2014 at 11:38 pm #

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely wonderful. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is really a tremendous website.

30. harga hp murah October 24, 2014 at 5:21 am #

I precisely needed to appreciate you all over again. I’m not certain what I would’ve taken care of without those hints documented by you relating to that situation. It was before a alarming problem in my circumstances, but being able to see this professional avenue you handled the issue made me to cry over fulfillment. I am just thankful for the guidance and even sincerely hope you comprehend what a powerful job that you are getting into instructing men and women through the use of your websites. Probably you have never got to know any of us.

31. daftar harga ponsel October 24, 2014 at 6:26 am #

Hello.This article was extremely fascinating, especially since I was looking for thoughts on this matter last couple of days.