Sandy’s Aftermath — Text to Donate $ to the Red Cross to help with Relief

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
SpencerPlatt_GettyImages

SpencerPlatt/GettyImages

The damage and scale of the superstorm Sandy continues to come to light today. At least 56 people in the U.S. were killed and another 67 in the Caribbean. Cost estimates are in the $60 billion range and more than 4 million people remain without power. Reports from all of the major news organizations paint a more complete picture by the hour – ranging from major inconvenience to total devastation. To add to the concern, the temperatures in the region have dropped to 35F/2C at night. And there are still questions as to when the power will be restored. There are people who need help – right now.

Beyond sending heartfelt support and love to our friends in the affected region – we can donate the Red Cross, to help bring much needed distribution of hot meals, water, snacks and relief supplies – like blankets. The Red Cross is mobilizing an additional 80,000 blankets for New York and New Jersey and more than 5,000 Red Cross workers from all over the country are supporting shelters, providing food and water at fixed sites, and driving through neighborhoods to distribute meals and supplies. Sixty trailers of relief supplies such as personal hygiene items, cleaning supplies, rakes, shovels, tarps, dust masks and work gloves were delivered this weekend in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut. But this is just the beginning. The response to Sandy is going to be massive – and very costly.

I just donated again to the Red Cross. They make it very easy to do by simply texting “REDCROSS” to 90999 to make a $10 donation. For more details on how to help in a variety of ways go here.

_________________
To see more photos go to The Atlantic photo essay. Heartbreaking photography that informs the world. Thanks to those photographers and news organizations who bring this information to us.

7 Responses to Sandy’s Aftermath — Text to Donate $ to the Red Cross to help with Relief

1. faisal November 6, 2012 at 6:24 am #

The digital world has made so easy to help.

2. khalid November 19, 2012 at 11:40 pm #

I was looking for an impressive iPhone/iPad app for editing my photographs and one of my friend had recommended me very cool app named “Photo Splash Fx”. Although I have tried many others but this one is simply wonderful, as it enables me to

· Make my shots awesome, no matter if they are old vintage, black and white or new high resolution colorful photos, by applying a plethora of special effects.

· Use selective colors, variety of brush sizes (adjust manually or automatically), gestures like Pan/Zoom/Splash, unlimited Undos, Colorize, Tintalize, Recolor, blend brush to create custom effects and text blending on your photo.

· It supports both landscape or portrait mode and options like loading/importing photo from Cloud, instead of just from the camera or photo library.

· Choice of 135+ built-in effects on different parts of the same photo and still have the option of creating your own custom effects.

· Option to make favorite list of built-in effects to choose them easily for future.

· Sharing my edited photographs with friends through Email, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Picassa, Dropbox or post it in form of the post card, to anywhere in the world.

3. Bill Vandermolen November 26, 2012 at 7:43 am #

Thank you for sharing some of the info.

4. khalid January 5, 2013 at 5:04 am #

Digital photography is becoming the most popular hobby of the world today. The recent developments of smartphones, iphone/ipad has changed the way, how we think of photography. To give professional touch to your photographs, now it is not necessary to consult some professional. One may use various tools and apps to make one’s photographs masterpieces instantly with a few taps, particularly those taken on graduation/wedding ceremony, honeymoon trip or New Year celebrations. I have used many such apps in recent past. One of such app is Photo Splash FX on iPhone/iPad that provides following unique features that you can’t find in any other app altogether. I noticed following notable features:

· Make your shots awesome, no matter if they are old vintage, black and white or new high resolution colorful photos, by applying a plethora of special effects.

· Share your masterpiece with your friends through Email, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Picassa, Dropbox or post it in form of the post card, to anywhere in the world.

5. Deja Talladino June 28, 2014 at 11:21 am #

Darn! We have to show up at a gathering at my son’s faculty right when that is definitely occurring.

6. browse page July 3, 2014 at 3:21 pm #

After I originally left a comment I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now whenever a comment is added I receive 4 emails with the exact same comment. Perhaps there is a way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

7. good chiropractor July 12, 2014 at 1:41 am #

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all folks you really understand what you’re talking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also consult with my site =). We could have a hyperlink trade arrangement among us!