LIVE Photoshoot using the World’s Biggest Camera + The Power of Personal Work

Update: The LIVE broadcast is TODAY Wednesday December 19th. Check out the post below and be sure to tune into http://www.chasejarvis.com/live — 11am SEA time (2pm NYC -19:00 London) — and enjoy the show. See you on there.

I am an advocate of personal work. Finding time to create personal projects has been one of the most valuable experiences of my career as a visual artist. My guest on the next week’s episode of chasejarvisLIVE is Ian Ruhter. Ian’s commitment to his personal work has been turning heads. A professional snowboarder turned photographer he was at the top of his game as a staff photographer and commercial shooter for the most respected magazines and brands in the snowboarding world. Then, more than 2 years ago, he had a vision of a photo that had never been taken – and he needed to be the one to create it. In a moment he went “all in” and started his pursuit of a new, completely unique, creative experience. He spent all his savings and converted a box truck into a tintype camera and started traveling around the country in his camera taking wetplate processed tintype photos – some of the largest that have ever been created. Check out the video above for a teaser on Ian and his work.

I’m so stoked that Ian is coming to Seattle next week to share his experience on chasejarvisLIVE. And even more exciting – he will be shooting the camera with me, my team and YOU. Dont miss this. It will be LIVE, un-scripted and inspirational.

WHO: You, Me, and a LIVE photo shoot with Ian Ruhter’s wetplate camera-truck + worldwide gathering of creative people
WHAT: Interview, discussion + a worldwide Q&A
WHEN: Wednesday, December 19th, 11:00am Seattle time (2pm NYC time or 19:00 London)
WHERE: Tune into www.chasejarvis.com/live. It’s free — anyone can watch and we’ll be taking YOUR questions via Twitter, hashtag #cjLIVE

We will be giving this signed photo of Ian’s away during the show – you have to tune in to find out how to win!

Watch the show today and find out how to win a signed print this Ian Ruhter photo

As always, you can ask any question of me or Ian (@ianruhter) that you might have, as we’ll be taking your question via my twitter handle + hashtag #cjLIVE and via my Facebook page.

THIS IS HUGE – WE’RE GIVING AWAY TWO MANFROTTO GEAR SET UP.
Help us promote the show by sending a creative tweet out to your friends to help promote this show
@manfrotto_tweet + #cjLIVE [note: you must follow @manfrotto_tweet to be eligible to win]

Bundle #1: Manfrotto Bundle composed of:
_Manfrotto 290 3-section carbon fiber tripod with quick-release 3-way photo head
_Manfrotto Midi-36 LED Light
_Manfrotto Stile Bella V Black Shoulder Bag
_Manfrotto Lino Apparel Soft Shell Jacket
_Manfrotto Lino Apparel Photo Cap Winter
Total Bundle Value: $780.00

Product Bundle # 2:
Manfrotto Bundle composed by:
Manfrotto Compact Photo Head Kit
Manfrotto Klyp Kit with Case for iPhone 4/4S + ML 240 LED Light + Pocket Tripod
Manfrotto Stile Bella V Black Camera Shoulder Bag
Manfrotto Lino Apparel Soft Shell
a Manfrotto Lino Apparel Photo Cap Winter

Total Bundle Value: $ 474.98

ALSO – FOR EVERYONE RIGHT NOW
We’re working with our good friends at liveBooks for 50% off an Emerging Predesigned Package site. Use the promo code CJLIVE. The discount is good for a yearly package, expiring 12/31/2013.[You can get it for $99 - regularly $199]

Special thanks to our sponsors who help make this show possible – please follow them and let them know you appreciate the free content that they help us deliver. Respect.
HP: @hpprint
Broncolor: @hasselbladbron
Manfrotto: @manfrotto_tweet
liveBooks: @liveBooks

View Official Contest Rules here.

23 Responses to LIVE Photoshoot using the World’s Biggest Camera + The Power of Personal Work

1. Erin Wilson December 12, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

This is so exciting. Freaking eh. Thank you a hundred times over. Caught Ruhter’s video a while back, and it’s one of the most inspiring things I’ve ever seen.

2. Jack Pope December 12, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

Wow. I’m speechless after the video, except to say, I wish I’d thought of that. Can’t wait for the live show!

3. Craig M December 13, 2012 at 8:28 am #

That’s the way it is with wet plate. Shit can go wrong and you don’t know for sure where in the process it did.

4. Craig M December 13, 2012 at 8:30 am #

And wow. This guy has deep pockets.

• faisal December 13, 2012 at 10:48 am #

what do you expect?

5. EMIBLOOM December 13, 2012 at 8:47 am #

I wonder if he read the book Mastery ! freakin sweet !

6. Suzanne G December 13, 2012 at 10:12 am #

Wow, how wonderful that you will have him on the show. His video is one of the most inspiring I’ve seen and a reminder that art, in any form, takes genuine committment. Will there be a rematch? Won’t be able to watch during the live broadcast, so I sure hope so! Thanks for all the Live videos Chase and team. You’re creating one of the best resources out there.

7. Theresa Z December 13, 2012 at 11:29 am #

Fantastic, I can’t wait to watch.

8. jamesd3rd December 13, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

Talk about taking your camera everywhere you go. That is so cool. I wonder what the cost / exposure is? I don’t imagine you can afford to mess up too often with the cost of chemicals and the sheets.

9. Faz December 14, 2012 at 1:28 am #

Had seen the video previously. The beginning had me thinking is this something I really want to watch until I perserved and saw what it was that he was actually doing. Such an amazing talent though. I’ve been studying photography this one and the dark room is one creative place if you’re willing to be pedantic and fully immerse yourself in it.

10. Kees December 16, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

Always inspiring to see people following their hearts and interests. This video, however, did make me wonder about what happens to the chemicals used in the process of making this art. There is a brown plastic tarp on the ground @ Yosemite’s Half Dome, but that’s a joke. Such tarps literally do not hold water. How are all those fluids recovered? It seems to me that if this artist has such love for his surroundings that he wants to photograph it, he should pour equal love and resources into efforts to preserve it. Rock on!

11. Endalk December 17, 2012 at 11:26 pm #

That is sick !!!!!!!!!!!!

12. ken December 19, 2012 at 6:34 am #

Very cool photos and technique.

Aren’t those chemicals toxic though? Pouring them in the woods and throwing wet plates around in the woods isn’t exactly “tread lightly”…

13. adam December 19, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

Wow! Incredible. Thanks.

14. Melissa of Continuum Photography December 19, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

Wow, so inspiring & imaginative. Thanks for sharing.

15. EddieBaba December 20, 2012 at 12:00 am #

It’s honorable to have Chase bring us such an inspirational talent to discover.  And it’s a blessing to have Ian exhibit so much imagination and passion for an artistic life.  His camera uses a Flat Field lens and the photos it makes show us a panoramic view of a timeless process!  Thank god, there may still be hope for the spray and pray generation!!!

16. Steve December 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

Please get the replay up! I had to work and we have a horrible internet connection there.

17. Dante Niehoff December 21, 2012 at 7:30 am #

Superb post!

18. Marcos Billiott January 5, 2013 at 10:39 am #

I such as this web situate same a good deal, Its a vastly fine tie up to learn and incur data. Our chief want inside years is actually a name who shall avoid to make us perform that which you can. by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

19. Hortencia Hoxsie January 6, 2013 at 6:37 am #

Widzialem ten wortal jest genialny

20. Tamie Lariviere January 8, 2013 at 7:28 am #

I’m the seond calculate to extend 4invention.sk and emphatically aphorism hello. I truly similar to this vast site.

21. where can i watch walking dead season 3 February 27, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

Heidi has always had a square midsection. She and Kate Upton have very similar figures (Kate being even curvier, of course).

1. Live Photoshoot with the World's Largest Camera and the Power of Personal Work in Photography on chasejarvisLIVE december 19th, 2012 | Chase Jarvis Blog | Steve Troletti Photography and Environmental News - December 12, 2012

[...] of his box truck camera and the largest tintype photos ever created. Live on chasejarvisLIVE.See on blog.chasejarvis.com Share This Page: This entry was posted in News and tagged Draft, maire, Mayor, Montreal, [...]