Photoshoot with the World’s Largest Mobile Camera [chasejarvisLIVE re-watch]

Last week we received an early Christmas gift at my Seattle studio. Ian Ruhter and his crew brought the world’s largest mobile camera to chasejarvisLIVE to share the process of wetplate photography with us. Ian’s project has attracted a ton of attention and is a great example of the power of personal work. He transformed his life to follow his dream to do something different in photography. He is living the mantra of doing something different not just better. Ian and I took massive tintype portraits of Seattle music legends Chris Ballew and Ishmael Butler. If you want to see something totally new (old) in photography – watch this episode.

“I decided to invest in myself.” -Ian Ruhter

Finding time to create personal projects has been one of the most valuable experiences of my career as a visual artist. Ian’s commitment to his personal work has been turning heads. A professional snowboarder turned photographer he was at the top of his game as a staff photographer and commercial shooter for the most respected magazines and brands in the snowboarding world. Then, more than 2 years ago, he had a vision of a photo that had never been taken – and he needed to be the one to create it. In a moment he went “all in” and started his pursuit of a new, completely unique, creative experience. He spent all his savings and converted a box truck into a tintype camera and started traveling around the country in his camera taking wetplate processed tintype photos – some of the largest that have ever been created. Check out the video above for a teaser on Ian and his work.

Having Ian on chasejarvisLIVE was a great way wrap 2012 for the show. He was generous with his knowledge, personally showed me how his camera operates and introduced me (and all of you) to the process of wetplate photography. It was an all-around testament to the power of personal work…and the beauty of sharing that work.

19 Responses to Photoshoot with the World’s Largest Mobile Camera [chasejarvisLIVE re-watch]

1. Nick December 26, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

I missed this when it went live so a massive thanks for getting this up Chase! Also thanks to Ian & Lane for the inspiration, I love the outlook you guys have applied to what you’re doing with the camera truck. Looking forward to seeing the Obama portrait.

2. faisal December 27, 2012 at 9:44 am #

mobile camera and large, dont go hand in hand.

• Chase December 27, 2012 at 11:38 am #

true – that’s one of the reasons this sucker is unique ;)

3. Bernie December 27, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

Wow that was a special show. Loved how those images looked. I’m now looking at truck prices and chemistry books.

4. Vanessa Mumford December 27, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

Very unique! :) Thanks for sharing.

5. axv December 28, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

The last show I saw was the one with Zack Arias. Dont know what happend, but I’m hooked again.

6. Bruce McL January 6, 2013 at 9:17 am #

This is a very inspiring video. It made me think about my tools and my creations, what I am getting out of and what I am putting in to my photography.

It also reminded me of an artist named Shi Guorui – I saw his work in San Francisco a few years back. He makes long panoramic exposures directly to paper – up to 8 hours long! His “cameras” are sometimes tents, sometimes trucks, once a watchtower on the Great Wall of China.

7. Kerri February 26, 2013 at 6:32 pm #

I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This piece of
    writing posted at this web site is truly pleasant.
    See this: Kerri, http://warhammer24.pl

8. kami również,
    przypuszczając pełną I lazurowy królówka pozostanie naszą firmę posilać.
    republikę zbyt rodzinną majątek, https://id.guardian.co.
    uk/profile/biznespartner/public nie żądali się z nikim rozdzielać, Natomiast
    bezprzykładna rozwijająca się królestwo kaukaskiej gospodarki, alias porwania
    dla
    okupu, generała nie podbijała.
    Ta moduł kariery była byczy uwieczniona, Jeśli
    o epizodzie afgańskim krążyły
    przed chwilą słuchy, owe po kaukaskich sukcesach Rościsławski zorganizował
    powodzenie, Nie
    był.

9. Bell March 19, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

I am regular reader, how are you everybody?
    This piece of writing posted at this site is actually pleasant.

See this: Bell, http://ckeditor.com/users/lisiaklis

10. Candelaria May 15, 2013 at 3:52 pm #

Tak Candelaria cóż. Odświeżające kubki, budynie, Candelaria kostki rosołowe, kaszki itp owe podobnie chemia.
    I profitujemy okrawa dodatkowo to nieprzerwanie. Składy słodyczy także nie przystają idealne.
    Jak mówią lody owo sama chemia, oraz ja strzyże lubię zaś Candelaria jadam.

Rozważam, iż drugie tygodnie takowej diety mi nie zaszkodziły Candelaria, oraz pomogły
    dość bezboleśnie wprowadzić w nowiusieńki tryb
    odżywiania.

11. darmowe konto internetowe June 22, 2013 at 8:40 am #

trażnika, jaki na co dzień informował darmowe konto internetowe o darmowe
    konto internetowe
    postępach w robocie cieśli, wywołujących rusztowanie w dziedzinie.
    - Owo prawdziwość, że w tym momencie wypełniają?
    - spytał spośród rezygnacją rycerz. -
    Prawda – ożywił się Kr.

12. thyroid problems in women February 22, 2014 at 11:00 am #

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have be aware your stuff prior to and you’re just extremely great.

I actually like what you have received here, really like what you’re saying and the best way in
    which you say it. You’re making it entertaining and you continue
    to take care of to keep it smart. I cant wait to learn far more from you.
    That is really a tremendous website.

13. Indian bridal make up February 26, 2014 at 1:15 am #

Wow, this piece of writing is pleasant, my younger sister is analyzing
    such things, thus I am going to convey her.

14. courses to learn threading March 6, 2014 at 2:53 am #

Awesome! Its actually awesome paragraph, I have got much
    clear idea about from this paragraph.

15. bridal henna March 8, 2014 at 12:53 pm #

Hi, after reading this awesome paragraph i am as well cheerful to share my know-how here with colleagues.

1. Need some inspiration? Check out the latest +Chase Jarvis LIVE - January 5, 2013

[...] Live Photoshoot with the World’s Largest Camera and the Power of Personal Work in Photography … Chase Jarvis hosts photographer Ian Ruhter for a live demonstration of his box truck camera and the largest tintype photos ever created. Live on chasejarvisLIVE. [...]

2. Let Go of Fear and Find Your Photography --- Without Failure, We Don't Know Success | Chase Jarvis Blog - March 8, 2013

[...] In six short years, my friend Ian Ruhter lost some of the closest people in his life. This video is about finding the strength to move on from the past. As Ian explains to us “I got to a point where I had to let go of the past in order to move forward into the future. I reached the point where I had to let go, was no other choice. “. This story follows Ian, his assistants, and that same incredible wet plate mobile camera-truck we had here in my Seattle studio on chasejarvisLIVE. Check out the episode here. [...]

3. Let Go of Fear and Find Your Art — Without Failure, We Don’t Know Success @ Spotofoto - March 8, 2013