Photoshoot with the World’s Largest Mobile Camera [chasejarvisLIVE re-watch]

Last week we received an early Christmas gift at my Seattle studio. Ian Ruhter and his crew brought the world’s largest mobile camera to chasejarvisLIVE to share the process of wetplate photography with us. Ian’s project has attracted a ton of attention and is a great example of the power of personal work. He transformed his life to follow his dream to do something different in photography. He is living the mantra of doing something different not just better. Ian and I took massive tintype portraits of Seattle music legends Chris Ballew and Ishmael Butler. If you want to see something totally new (old) in photography – watch this episode.

“I decided to invest in myself.” -Ian Ruhter

Finding time to create personal projects has been one of the most valuable experiences of my career as a visual artist. Ian’s commitment to his personal work has been turning heads. A professional snowboarder turned photographer he was at the top of his game as a staff photographer and commercial shooter for the most respected magazines and brands in the snowboarding world. Then, more than 2 years ago, he had a vision of a photo that had never been taken – and he needed to be the one to create it. In a moment he went “all in” and started his pursuit of a new, completely unique, creative experience. He spent all his savings and converted a box truck into a tintype camera and started traveling around the country in his camera taking wetplate processed tintype photos – some of the largest that have ever been created. Check out the video above for a teaser on Ian and his work.

Having Ian on chasejarvisLIVE was a great way wrap 2012 for the show. He was generous with his knowledge, personally showed me how his camera operates and introduced me (and all of you) to the process of wetplate photography. It was an all-around testament to the power of personal work…and the beauty of sharing that work.

ask says:

Hello Dear, are you truly visiting this website regularly, if so afterward you will definitely get fastidious experience.

Phpproxy is a script that it is installed on the web server and it allows you to use the
web proxy. and then drill down into the data and can exactly view what a test end-user is doing and when. 1 adds support for most PC joysticks
and gamepads that are connected over USB or Bluetooth HID.

bridal henna says:

Hi, after reading this awesome paragraph i am as well cheerful to share my know-how here with colleagues.

Awesome! Its actually awesome paragraph, I have got much
clear idea about from this paragraph.

Wow, this piece of writing is pleasant, my younger sister is analyzing
such things, thus I am going to convey her.

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have be aware your stuff prior to and you’re just extremely great.

I actually like what you have received here, really like what you’re saying and the best way in
which you say it. You’re making it entertaining and you continue
to take care of to keep it smart. I cant wait to learn far more from you.
That is really a tremendous website.

trażnika, jaki na co dzień informował darmowe konto internetowe o darmowe
konto internetowe
postępach w robocie cieśli, wywołujących rusztowanie w dziedzinie.
– Owo prawdziwość, że w tym momencie wypełniają?
– spytał spośród rezygnacją rycerz. –
Prawda – ożywił się Kr.

Candelaria says:

Tak Candelaria cóż. Odświeżające kubki, budynie, Candelaria kostki rosołowe, kaszki itp owe podobnie chemia.
I profitujemy okrawa dodatkowo to nieprzerwanie. Składy słodyczy także nie przystają idealne.
Jak mówią lody owo sama chemia, oraz ja strzyże lubię zaś Candelaria jadam.

Rozważam, iż drugie tygodnie takowej diety mi nie zaszkodziły Candelaria, oraz pomogły
dość bezboleśnie wprowadzić w nowiusieńki tryb
odżywiania.

Bell says:

I am regular reader, how are you everybody?
This piece of writing posted at this site is actually pleasant.

See this: Bell, http://ckeditor.com/users/lisiaklis

kami również,
przypuszczając pełną I lazurowy królówka pozostanie naszą firmę posilać.
republikę zbyt rodzinną majątek, https://id.guardian.co.
uk/profile/biznespartner/public nie żądali się z nikim rozdzielać, Natomiast
bezprzykładna rozwijająca się królestwo kaukaskiej gospodarki, alias porwania
dla
okupu, generała nie podbijała.
Ta moduł kariery była byczy uwieczniona, Jeśli
o epizodzie afgańskim krążyły
przed chwilą słuchy, owe po kaukaskich sukcesach Rościsławski zorganizował
powodzenie, Nie
był.

Kerri says:

I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This piece of
writing posted at this web site is truly pleasant.
See this: Kerri, http://warhammer24.pl

Bruce McL says:

This is a very inspiring video. It made me think about my tools and my creations, what I am getting out of and what I am putting in to my photography.

It also reminded me of an artist named Shi Guorui – I saw his work in San Francisco a few years back. He makes long panoramic exposures directly to paper – up to 8 hours long! His “cameras” are sometimes tents, sometimes trucks, once a watchtower on the Great Wall of China.

axv says:

The last show I saw was the one with Zack Arias. Dont know what happend, but I’m hooked again.

Very unique! :) Thanks for sharing.

Bernie says:

Wow that was a special show. Loved how those images looked. I’m now looking at truck prices and chemistry books.

faisal says:

mobile camera and large, dont go hand in hand.

Chase says:

true – that’s one of the reasons this sucker is unique ;)

Nick says:

I missed this when it went live so a massive thanks for getting this up Chase! Also thanks to Ian & Lane for the inspiration, I love the outlook you guys have applied to what you’re doing with the camera truck. Looking forward to seeing the Obama portrait.