Elizabeth Avedon

Photo: Elizabeth Avedon

W.M. Hunt is a champion of photography – A collector, curator and consultant who lives and works in New York. He is the author of “The Unseen Eye: Photographs from the Unconscious,” published in 2011 by Aperture. He is on the Board of Directors of the Eugene Smith Memorial Fund and The Center for Photography at Woodstock, New York, where he was the recipient of their Vision Award in 2009.
Founding partner of the prominent photography gallery Hasted Hunt (now Hasted Kraeutler) in Chelsea, Manhattan, Hunt has been collecting photography for almost 40 years and has been profiled in The New York Times, PDN, Art on Paper, Modern Painters, The Art Newspaper, PBS’ “EGG, the Arts Show”, as well as BBC’s “The Genius of Photography”. Our good friends at the Photo Center Northwest sat down with Bill and he dropped some serious knowledge – including his Top Ten Tips on how to get in front of a curator, collector or dealer. My buddy Rafeal and the PCNW will be dropping by the blog from time to time to bring a unique perspective on fine art photography.

You have a rich history working with world-renowned photographers, many of whom you represented in your gallery. Many of these artists have walked the commercial and fine art routes simultaneously quite successfully. Can you give some examples of artists who have done this successfully?

I love this question because I love working with photographers who have successful commercial practices. There are a number of reasons. One is happiness. Photographers who have a financially successful career are a pleasure to deal with. They eat lunch regularly. When money is not an issue, we can do the show and make stuff happen. It can be a problem when a photographer is very, very, busy – but there is more of a problem if the collaboration and the dialogue isn’t respected. If I say I don’t like something, I won’t say it lightly so we should listen to each other. Absolute single mindedness doesn’t help either the artist of the dealer. I can really finesse an artist’s situation. That has value. The fuller a photographer’s practice is, meaning commercial, editorial, exhibition, publication, etc. the better the work will be. This imagined separation of church and state is blind. Get the money. Don’t whore yourself out, but make stuff happen. Also this kind of artist is a better editor without self-indulgence. They work coherently, they challenge themselves, and they keep moving. If I am asked if I would like to see someone’s personal work or their commercial work, I would rather see the latter because it’s hard to be your own client.

But also, what’s the difference? How many heads do you have? I am suspicious of someone’s work that is totally schizophrenic. Who are you? A successful contemporary example of this is Erwin Olaf, whose work is completely consistent, and the one practice feeds the other.

Photo: Erwin Olaf

Photo: Erwin Olaf

The commercial work challenges him technically, and the other work allows him to develop his eye and his imagination. Ed Burtynsky? Brilliant. He works like a corporation, and I mean that as the ultimate praise. He has vision and politics. He wants to change the world, and he is being effective.

Edward Burtynsky

Photo: Edward Burtynsky

Phil Toledano. The best. He has an imagination that is in overdrive, and he works as a completely contemporary artist, in an analogue and digital world. He works in project form with a beginning, middle and end. He is a total sponge for knowledge and experience, for life. I would have loved to have had a chance as a dealer with Steven Klein.

Photo: Phil Toledano

Photo: Phil Toledano

The example of Irving Penn is worth emphasizing, a singular artist whose style was unique and immediately recognizable, whose technique was virtuosic, and whose drive to constantly reinvent himself artistically was daunting. Brilliant.

Photo: Phil Toledano

Photo: Phil Toledano

Can you provide any insight as to how someone can make the most out of work they have been assigned commercially to pursue also an art path?
Erwin Olaf speaks about how technically the one practice informs the other. He gets to play with new tools when the client is paying, and the client gets to take advantage of Erwin’s genius, which he has been exercising with his personal work. I am still using terms I disavowed in the preceding paragraphs, these annoying genres and abstract vs. real. What is real anyway? The photograph is real but nothing in it is.A good trick though is to sell a photographer’s commercial work, which I have done. Great work is great work.

Photo: Erwin Olaf

Did any of your artists ever have an assignment that later became a successful exhibition, book or body of work?
Editorial, sure. Luc Delahaye was a huge success for me, and it was all work he had done while on assignment. I am sure the magazines might have some argument with him about whose clock he was on, but that’s not my concern.

Photo: Edward Burtynsky

Top 10 tips for photographers who are looking to get their work in front of collectors, dealers and curators like yourself?
Figure out why you want to meet me. Work out if you want to realize something from the meeting. It’s fine to be introduced, but don’t be a jerk. Be smart. I WANT to like you, so help me. Make it worth MY while too.

1. Be talented.

2. Be smart. Think. Don’t be a jerk. Be engaging. If you are determined enough, you can meet anyone at least once. Take the situation seriously; don’t blow it. Take stock of yourself. Is the work fully realized and are you ready to approach museums or dealers?

3. Be focused. Be single minded. Be ambitious. Think in terms of the long haul and the full arc of your career.

4. Be clear. Be able to articulate what you are doing, not so much why you are doing it but literally what it is. Rehearse what you are going to say. Keep impeccable records about your work.

5. Be ready. Have prints, have disks, have a resume, have business cards. Don’t tell me, ‘they’re at home’ or that you are ‘still working on them.’ Give me something to remember you by. Send a thank-you note, even consider mailing it.

6. Be full. Have a life. Teach. Get commissions, commercial work, stock, whatever. Get money, make love, be happy. It will inform the work positively.

7. Be active. Be your own primary dealer. Take responsibility for museum and magazine drop-offs. Approach collectors yourself. Develop a mailing list. Market yourself. Send postcards. Donate prints to charity auctions. Go to openings. Make friends with your contemporaries. Use them. Always ask to be referred. Publish or get published. Get patrons, mentors, advisors. Use them. Bear in mind that if you set your mind to it, you can meet anyone … once. It’s that second meeting that proves difficult. When you do meet that person, be prepared.

8. Be receptive. Take notes. Bring a pencil and paper to appointments. Do your homework. Know what sort of work galleries show before you approach them. Go look. Say hello, but be sensitive to a dealer’s time demands (unless you’re buying something). Have a sense of what’s out there.

9. Be merciless with yourself. Edit, edit, edit. Edit, edit, edit. Take out anything marginal. Make me hungry to see more of your work.

10. Be patient. Please.

Interview and additional reporting by: Rafael Soldi of Photo Center Northwest
The mission of the Photo Center NW is to strengthen the community by elevating the art an appreciation of photography. The Photo Center is a non-profit organization offering a nationally accredited photography program in fine art photography taught by many accomplished teaching artists. They also offer professional facilities rentals (studios, high-end printing, darkrooms) as well as emerging artist support in the form of scholarships, fellowship and artist-in-residency programs, exhibition opportunities, membership and networking events.

47 Responses to Top 10 Tips for Success for the Fine Art Photographer — Exclusive Interview with a Collector

1. Ronnie Boehm December 4, 2012 at 10:40 am #

To me, one of the most interesting blog posts I have read in quite a while. It also reinforces the recent creativelive workshop. Thanks a lot!
    Ronnie

2. R. J. Kern December 4, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

Hands down on the best golden-nuggets of wisdom I’ve read here. Chase, it was almost like you were reading my mind. Kudos on the fine work and great seeing you in Seattle at your office!!!!

3. David Simonton December 4, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

11. Be prepared to be willing to define success as self-acceptance.

4. Bram December 4, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

Awesome to see Erwin Olaf featured here, he’s top-notch. Recently he created this photographic version of a classical painting of the Dutch city of Leiden during the plague: http://www.nrc.nl/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/2809WEBAPPGROOT1.jpg
    There’s some easter eggs here, including an iPod and Uggs :)

5. Rene Marzuk December 4, 2012 at 8:08 pm #

Great interview, eye-opening. Thank you!

6. Steve Deschenes December 4, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

Thanks so much !
    Steve

7. faisal December 5, 2012 at 6:27 am #

Some where well executed photographs.

8. tony bynum December 5, 2012 at 6:43 am #

Great interview and great advise. To bad much of it is very contradictory to the most of the commercial photography world of “experts” has been saying for years . . . I’m not saying either one is correct, i’m suggesting that there are so many ways to interpret photography and photography skills. It’s like my buddies who golf (I’m not a golfer, i do observe their disputes and development as golfers), they all get mixed up with all the “help” that’s out there. They watch all the “experts” on the golf channel, and read all the print, but they all recognize that mostly too much information from too many “experts” and sources tends to throw them off their game. They try changing their swing, and grip, or buy a new ball or club, and most of them admit that it never really helps much. What helps is finding your grove and your style . . . a path that works for you. I’ll admit, the interview is great, it’s informative and I think right on the money, but next week we’ll read something else about essentially the same thing, but it will say, “dont mix it up,” “make sure your portfolio has a theme,” “be sure you separate your commercial from your editorial and fine art,” “you need x portfolio,” and so on . . . The ten list is fantastic. Do your thing and find your path . . . Thanks #CJ for a great blog and

• Greg December 5, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

yeah totally man… Gregory Crewdson doesn’t even appear to have a website, maybe he’s just rich or something… I do like how Erin Olaf’s website has all commercial,editorial,portrait under one category Commerce & you only see it if you click it, front page only displays his fine art, I guess his situation permits that…

• Edward Gajdel December 6, 2012 at 7:30 pm #

Thank you Mr. Hunt for reminding us that we do not have to be trapped in the duplicity of language, that vision with commitment do transcend those boundaries.

9. A December 5, 2012 at 11:26 pm #

Be White

10. Ian Pack December 6, 2012 at 1:00 am #

Chase, thank you for posting this. Whilst some may say there is too much information available from too many experts, it is up to the individual photographer or person with camera to choose which they adhere to. You do a great job of filtering the chaff from the grain for many, I’m sure;-)

11. Magazine Cover Composition December 6, 2012 at 5:34 am #

Thanks for sharing your tips steve…..

12. peter December 10, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

I had the opportunity to attend Mr. Hunts show at Blue Sky in Portland followed by his special performance at Portland Art Museum. His passion for the craft and to collecting is contagious and his one piece of advice for collecting, and I would say this holds true for any endeavour one wishes to pursue successfully – is to commit.

13. Nancy Young December 21, 2012 at 6:15 am #

I like the tip “Be full. Have a life. Teach. Get commissions, commercial work, stock, whatever. Get money, make love, be happy. It will inform the work positively.” It’s really inspiring. I do believe, if a person is happy and has a life, he or she just can not be unknown and unsuccessful. Because only ambitious one can achieve a fame and recognition.

14. Pearly Manfredi January 6, 2013 at 6:36 am #

Congratulations used for posting this type of useful tangle place. Your web position isn’t simply informative excluding too very resourceful exceedingly. There are repeatedly very pair of individuals who is talented to enter not extremely relaxed posts that artistically. File in the clear producing!!

15. Jannie February 9, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

should you decide produce been obese for a function of the life you become
    almost familiar with the negative comments and additionally so your actually internalise
    them, instead than bothering in order to question them.
    people, Usually think these are typically supposed crazy, even though
    they require to be reassured that having “crazy” emotions
    is a distortion and is definitely vastly unlike individuals who may be considered clinically crazy.
    Whatever kind of job you apply for requires an interview, created,
    so you have to overcome your anxiety and discover an easy way to
    contract because of the situation so you are able to get through it and become
    granted a career at the end of it all.

16. Theron Gussow February 14, 2013 at 6:40 am #

Your place has been saved to my favourites and I have as well shot outdated a tweet to my friends look mail to reading further posts in the future!

17. Download February 28, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

Hello my loved one! I wish to say that this post is amazing, nice written and come with almost all vital infos. I would like to peer extra posts like this .

18. Kwiaciarnia internetowa w Gdańsku April 16, 2013 at 3:36 pm #

Spot on with this write-up, I seriously think this amazing site needs much more attention. I’ll probably be back again to read through more, thanks for the information!

19. Kimberly April 17, 2013 at 12:25 am #

in this piano learning way, your very own knowing time can not anymore brief.
    included in the big virtual pianos, most of some of the best brands are Yamaha, Roland, Casio, Korg and many others.
    Pianos ought to be tuned to the right looks would have generally be done for
    the duration of consistent schedule. Once you get to be
    able to some of the second letter, you are as a
    key part of some of the second octave actually and so in. The voice which was got are collective and some of the
    mixing of the hammering techniques, that will can’t try to try to be perfectly copied.

20. 24 hour locksmith Brooklyn NY April 18, 2013 at 12:49 am #

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favourite justification appeared to be at the internet the simplest thing to have in mind of. I say to you, I certainly get irked whilst other people consider issues that they just do not recognize about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top as neatly as outlined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks!

21. Melida Huynh April 19, 2013 at 12:10 am #

Hi, I just discovered your blog via google. Your post is truly relevant to my life right now, and I’m really pleased I discovered your website.Thanks

22. Yoko Mathwich April 22, 2013 at 1:26 am #

23. Short Graduation Dresses April 23, 2013 at 11:27 pm #

They will completely guide some thing. You may even confirm the wedding ceremony and thus prom establishments for affordable prom dresses.

24. rolex imitation April 23, 2013 at 11:54 pm #

Nevertheless, it truly is the developments and consumption of new elements prefer ceramics, imitation rolex tough metals alongside with high-tech diamond coatings that is completely different

25. Kirk Effner April 23, 2013 at 11:59 pm #

You’ve got a fantastic site here! would you like to make some invite posts on my weblog?

26. high end imitation watches April 24, 2013 at 5:56 am #

Most of the high end imitation watches Watches present alternatives in dial colours and bracelet fashion

27. shuttle service in Los Angeles April 30, 2013 at 5:05 pm #

Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon everyday. It will always be interesting to read through articles from other writers and practice a little something from their sites.

28. Jenifer May 2, 2013 at 11:34 pm #

Excellent blog here! Also your site loads up fast! What web host are you
    using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host?
    I wish my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

29. Clotilde Valladores May 6, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

I hope you never stop! This is one of the best blogs Ive ever read.Thanks !!!

30. Lonnie Dawkins September 9, 2013 at 9:57 am #

Every tip is valid. I especially like Be Talented, Be Full, Be Ready and I am trying to Be Patient. Thanks for sharing.

31. Sachin September 9, 2013 at 11:36 am #

Didn’t anyone bother to proof-read this post?
    I had to take a break to rant. Now I’ll go back to reading.

-sm

32. Bimal Nair September 10, 2013 at 3:44 am #

gorgeous replies. Absolutely stunning and engrossing advices. thankyou so much for this Chase! And a million other things you’ve given me till date!

33. Nick Oman January 14, 2014 at 9:27 am #

I just stumbled on this post seeking this exact advice! Thanks Chase for pushing the creative inspiration.

34. MartinRobert March 3, 2014 at 11:28 pm #

Wow, they are absolutely gorgeous.

35. Vincent van Kleef April 8, 2014 at 11:05 am #

Great to see the work of fellow Dutchman Erwin Olaf! The sets shown in these pictures are being exhibited in the NAI Museum in Rotterdam. I even got the opportunity to take some photographs with my analog Yashica Medium Format myself :-) https://www.flickr.com/photos/vinnym8/13347725493/in/set-72157633185636916

36. Dave Block April 9, 2014 at 5:34 am #

Really? #1, Be Talented?

37. ariel May 6, 2014 at 6:19 am #

The article and the interview & photographs explain why photography is considered the art form of the second rate ..

38. Waxing Zürich July 2, 2014 at 6:40 am #

Is there anything that can be utilised as opposed to cornstarch? Or is it actually required?

39. Lauren Bond July 16, 2014 at 12:41 am #

An excellent blog with wonderful photography.

40. Quard August 18, 2014 at 7:55 am #

Great Stuff! Thank You for sharing!

1. Intriguing photography « mzcreative - December 4, 2012

[...] http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2012/12/top-10-tips-to-get-your-work-into-the-gallery-exclusive-int… Share this:Like this:LikeBe the first to like this. Tagged Photography [...]

2. How to Get Your Work in Front of a Collector - Photographer Blog - December 5, 2012

[...] Click here to go to the original article blog.chasejarvis.com Tweet « The Rugged Beauty of Australia and New Zealand [...]

3. N i n e V o l t - May 27, 2013

[...] 2012 UncategorizedHow to Get Your Work in Front of a Collector Chase Jarvis has a great interview on his blog with a photography collector by the name of   W. M. Hunt. If you want to someday have [...]

4. Chase Jarvis | A Thousand Pixels - February 11, 2014

[...] http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2012/12/top-10-tips-to-get-your-work-into-the-gallery-exclusive-int… Share this:TwitterFacebookGoogleLike this:Like Loading… [...]

5. Interview with a Photography Collector — How to Get Your Work in Front of a Collector | Chase Jarvis Blog | all my stuff - April 8, 2014

[...] Interview with a Photography Collector — How to Get Your Work in Front of a Collector | Chase …. [...]