Best Photo Locations: The Secret of Isla Ometepe, Nicaragua

ChaseJarvis_PhotoLocations_Nicaragua_SamSamantha_AmyRollo

©samsamantha

Sometimes you have to get off the beaten path to find the real texture in a location. The truth is, locations that are hard to find will reveal new angles and subjects. Trust me, if it’s hard to find and get to – it will produce something new and different. So, as they say, “Take a Hike.” You will be rewarded.

Nicaragua isn’t quite Cancun, but it had become more well-known in recent years. Nonetheless, there is a secret spot that my friend Amy Rollo recently brought to my attention: Isla Ometepe. While I have not yet personally visited this location, the description and photos make me want to go. The island is formed by two volcanoes (one of them active) and surrounded by a fresh water lake and provides inspiring and unique photo opportunities for the adventurous. Isla Ometepe is populated by friendly people who love their land so much that they don’t bother leaving… even when their lives become endangered by eruptions from the Concepción volcano.  Photo opportunities include jungle, beaches, and archaeological sites. Ometepe is a UNESCO site which keeps out a good bulk of tourism that might otherwise bring rampant development that would ruin the unspoiled views. However, word on the street is that this does make it a bit rough around the edges. All the better. If you come to take photos here, don’t plan on a spa day at the Ritz Carlton. See the images below to explore this off-the-beaten path location.

ChaseJarvis_PhotoLocations_Nicaragua_ThomasFrostJensen_AmyRollo

ChaseJarvis_PhotoLocations_Nicaragua_bartpogoda_AmyRollo

© bartpogoda

13 Responses to Best Photo Locations: The Secret of Isla Ometepe, Nicaragua

1. pratik January 4, 2013 at 10:48 am #

amazingg!!

2. tod January 4, 2013 at 11:09 am #

Been here. Loved it. It is rough around the edges but thats what we were looking for. Stay at La Omaha. Owners are nice, food is good, lodging is fine. I have no connection to this place, just a fan. I think they hope to build a canal across Nica and if so this place will never be the same.

3. meme January 4, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

I love Nicaragua and Ometepe too I visited so many times becuase the grandmother of my best friends in Nicaragua Live in the island I miss this special place

Nice Pics and congrats for enjoy in enigmatic place

4. Christy Harper January 5, 2013 at 4:22 am #

take me with you next time :) Just kidding but it would be fun!

5. faisal January 6, 2013 at 7:13 am #

Some of these pictures are really breathe taking.

6. Eric Reichbaum January 7, 2013 at 7:45 am #

Just got off a week on Ometepe. Amazing place. I can’t wait to get back to NYC and begin editing photos. Nicaragua is a photographer’s dream.

7. Art of Photography January 15, 2013 at 10:06 am #

This is amazing. Is that a volcano in the second big picture? It seems like a Mayon Volcano version in the Philippines. It has a perfect cone-shaped.

8. best dslr camera for beginners January 15, 2013 at 9:00 pm #

Isla Ometepe, Nicaragua is a nice place. The scenery just calls to take your camera and get some shoots. Nice Place. Thank you for sharing.

9. menswear February 22, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

wow nice islands. Jacky corbel looks great.
    the Pablo raw picture.. the know how to pic. hehe

10. jbangskie March 7, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

i’m very interested in photography and wanted to learn more about it to have a master piece of my own, so i’m searching for possible picture to be my guide. your’s is so nice… love it :) Philippine tourist spots question: r this places for real?

11. test March 17, 2013 at 7:55 am #

We’ve not really tested in below for a long time when i thought it was getting tedious, nevertheless the very last several articles are generally fantastic good quality well, i guess I am going to include a person returning to my day-to-day bloglist. A person should have the item my buddy

12. Brad February 10, 2014 at 2:12 pm #

I have tickets booked to head there in about a month. Anyone have an lens recommendations or great places to check out when I’m down there?

13. Slicht November 5, 2014 at 3:06 pm #