Best Album Art from the Past Year [19 images]

ChaseJarvis_BestAlbumArt_SleighBells_ReignofTerror_AmyRollo

Sleigh Bells / Reign of Terror

The big record companies are struggling.  Indie labels are struggling.  The photographers, illustrators, and graphic designers who create album covers are NOT struggling.  The music industry is an entirely different beast than it was a decade ago, but apparently musicians still believe in communicating what their album, as a whole, is all about with stunning visuals.

Music seems more disposable and forgettable than ever with apps like Spotify and Rdio. I mean, you have access to more than 15 MILLION songs if you fork over the $10 bucks a month for a Spotify membership — a far lesser cost than downloading individual songs and albums to iTunes. While this accessibility to music is amazing, it’s also overwhelming. We are being bombarded with more aural pleasure than we can possibly handle.

The beauty lies in the fact that we will stumble across tunes we love that may have not crossed our path without this technology. This, in turn, can lead us to finding our new favorite band (at least until we find our NEXT new favorite band). And then we will go to their concerts. And then we will buy their vinyl. Because vinyl is making a comeback.  And then we will go home, put that record on like our forefathers did before there were 8-tracks and cassettes and cds and mp3s.  We will once again experience what it’s like to be grounded in a room without earbuds and iPhones.  To have to get up and flip the album.  To listen from beginning to end, as the artist intended.  To stare at the cover and read through the liner notes.

ChaseJarvis_BestAlbumArt_Thexx_Coexist_AmyRollo

ChaseJarvis_BestAlbumArt_FionaApple_TheIdlerWheel_AmyRollo

Fiona Apple / The Idler Wheel

ChaseJarvis_BestAlbumArt_FatherJohnMisty_FearFun_AmyRollo

Father John Misty / Fear Fun

ChaseJarvis_BestAlbumArt_Eprom_Metahuman_AmyRollo

Eprom / Metahuman

ChaseJarvis_BestAlbumArt_BrotherAli_MourninginAmericaandDreaminginColor_AmyRollo

Brother Ali / Mourning in America and Dreaming in Color

ChaseJarvis_BestAlbumArt_BlackMothSuperRainbow_CobraJuicy_AmyRollo

Black Moth Super Rainbow / Cobra Juicy

ChaseJarvis_BestAlbumArt_BestCoast_AmyRollo

Bat for Lashes / The Haunted Man

17 Responses to Best Album Art from the Past Year [19 images]

1. Luke February 8, 2013 at 10:54 am #

I’ve been buying all my must have albums on vinyl since Pearl Jam released Vitalogy when I was 16. One of my favorite things to these days is to listen to records with my wife and little daughter. It’s fun to play DJ. I can play the newest Radiohead album and then switch to a crackly Johnny Cash album from the 50′s. With vinyl you get awesome artwork. If you haven’t seen Pearl Jam’s “No Code”(all photography related) or Sigur Ros “Takk” giant artwork you’re missing out. You can look at them for hours. I recently found a bunch of hidden messages scratched into the inside part of my Pearl Jam albums.

2. Thomas Lester February 8, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

Love the Brother Ali cover.

3. wilfried feder February 8, 2013 at 1:02 pm #

Chase, what you’re saying here is exactly what i’ve been feeling quite a few times, yet unable to couch it. Man, you said it! looks like aural art needs to communicate visually. Isnt that so cool. Then, on the other hand, a certain picture will recall a certain tune in my brain. Or a guitar solo will make me want to create a certain image. I just love the connection of aural and visual stimuli. Well now, its all about art. the world needs art.

• JP Zajackowski February 9, 2013 at 12:49 pm #

I agree with you 100% Wilfred, and it’s exactly why I am yearning to break into the photography portion of music

4. faisal February 9, 2013 at 5:30 am #

Some very amazing pics.

5. EddieBaba February 9, 2013 at 10:31 am #

Some of these have an influence from the album covers in Seventies. I wouldn’t consider this a “Best Of” list, but it reflects the weak musical bands of today that don’t have a lasting presence. I like a couple of them. But so many bands come and go nowadays, that it’s hard to keep up with what’s out there. That’s just what I think.

6. Steve Iles February 11, 2013 at 7:43 am #

The BBC are currently running a series of prgrams looking at the golden age of the album, so are we getting nostalgic for the album sleeve. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qhn70

So are we missing are album art? following the words in the album sleeve while listening to the whole album? Gleening every last fact from the album notes?

Do we need more from downloads or do we go back buying ‘physical’ music. Or is it too late with the loss of HMV from our high street?

Great piece Chase
    Thank you.

7. Olen Belsheim February 11, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

Hey! I simply want to give an enormous thumbs up for the good data you could have right here on this post. I will likely be coming back to your blog for extra soon.

8. Bruno Lucattelli February 27, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

May I suggest one of my own images to be the 20th? :)

9. dear stephen huvane,
    can you present annE more like julianne moore and less like gwyneth paltry?
    anne can actually act and sing. treat her accordingly and people might stop hating on her like she’s anniston or goop.
    love, the world

10. Mea Culpa telecharger gratuit February 10, 2014 at 1:35 pm #

Wonderful work! This is the kind of info that should be shared around the net.
    Shame on the search engines for no longer positioning this submit higher!

Come on over and consult with my website . Thanks =)

11. best digital camera 2014 February 19, 2014 at 9:05 am #

Hi. Just wanted to say simply how much I appreciate
    the data which can be provided here.

12. convertible car seat reviews June 26, 2014 at 6:26 am #

I am regular visitor, how are you everybody?
    This piece of writing posted at this site is in fact nice.

13. coventry painters July 27, 2014 at 8:47 pm #

Heya exceptional blog! Does running a blkg similar to
    this take a lot of work? I’ve absolutely no knowledge of computer programming
    but I was hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyway, should you have any suggestions or tips for new blog owners please share.
    I understand this is off subject however I simply wanted to ask.
    Cheers!

14. http://bit.ly August 24, 2014 at 7:00 am #

This web site really has all the information and facts I wanted concerning this subject and didn’t
    know who to ask.

15. robot aspirador December 9, 2014 at 2:21 am #

What’s up mates, good post and pleasant urging commented at this place, I am genuinely
    enjoying by these.

16. top elliptical trainer of 2015 December 13, 2014 at 3:17 am #

Excellent way of telling, and good article to take data
    about my presentation subject matter, which i am going to deliver in institution of higher education.