The Largest Mobile Camera in the World — Ian Ruhter’s Wet Plate Photography

ChaseJarvis_IanRuhter_Vancouvershow

Some of you who follow the blog and chasejarvisLIVE probably remember Ian Ruhter from last year’s season finale of the show. I wanted to let y’all know that Ian’s Silver and Light Project will be in Vancouver, April 2nd to April 16th. For more info on the Vancouver event go HERE.

For some background on Ian and why you should be paying attention to his work:
Ruhter and his crew shared his unique process of wetplate photography with a worldwide live audience – and me – along with his very personal story when he brought the world’s largest mobile camera to my studio and we shot several wet plate photos over the course of a 3-hour live broadcast. If you missed it, it’s one of my favorite episodes.

His project has attracted a ton of attention and is a great example of the power of personal work. He transformed his life to follow his dream to do something different in photography. He has been living the mantra of doing something different… not just better.

His personal artistic mission is for the creation of photographic art using the wet plate process dating from the 1850’s. His project “Silver and Light” is getting worldwide attention for both the story and the unique images he is creating.

Ian’s story is one that is reflected in the subjects he photographs, Severely dyslexic as a kid he found himself as an outsider challenged by many obstacles. It was his mother’s gift of an old film camera that got him started on a way to express himself and the path to his present project. In his previous career as a snowboarder Ian was a rebel, which helped lead him to his direction as a photographer.

His “American Dream” series has focused the largest portable camera in the world, a giant camera in a truck which he calls “The Time Machine”, on a cross section of others with a variety of challenges. His photographs present calm and dignified portraits that honour the subjects and tells their story. The narrative of Ian’s project and subjects are truly inspiring. Ian’s images of Los Angeles and the Mountains are one of-a-kind studies that are beautiful, mysterious, captivating and mesmerizing all at once.

Now, just up to the north from us in Seattle, Ian is at it again, sharing his passion and his amazing Time Machine camera. He is creating a body of work focusing on Vancouver, people and the stories he can find. He will also be participating in a series of talks to share his stories.

For more information on the project go HERE

13 Responses to The Largest Mobile Camera in the World — Ian Ruhter’s Wet Plate Photography

1. Daniel kappelle April 3, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

I think his project is totally kick ass, and the cjLive episode was great to watch too :) Very inspiring, thanks for sharing all this awesomeness :D

2. cody ash April 3, 2013 at 12:43 pm #

he did the framed season finale too. pretty sweet. http://framednetwork.com/episodes/framed3-16/

3. faisal April 4, 2013 at 8:07 am #

Insanity at its best, do we need it, maybe not.

4. Elna Hackford September 21, 2014 at 1:55 pm #

This site is certainly rather helpful considering that I am with all the second developing an online floral web site even with the fact that I am only commencing out as the result it is truly relatively little, nothing in any respect similar to this internet web page. Can site hyperlink to some from the posts proper here because they are fairly. Many thanks considerably. Zoey Olsen

5. Josh Balsis September 24, 2014 at 11:11 am #

Generally blogger needs to be congratulated for his effort in putting forward such a wealth of information.

6. London Health and Safety October 6, 2014 at 11:01 pm #

If you are in London and need Health & Safety advice, contact paul Feely

7. Attorneys Tax October 7, 2014 at 7:45 pm #

Trouble-Free Secrets Of Searching For A Tax Attorney

8. Zabawa@outlook.com October 9, 2014 at 10:58 pm #

This internet site is just wonderful, the details is updated and also crystal clear. I am going to most definitely explore this web site again. I’m sorry if my English really isn’t acceptable, i’m a Spanish foreign language speaker, sorry concerning that. Stay up to date with the great:-RRB-.

9. chatta gratis senza registrazione October 16, 2014 at 1:12 pm #

Very interesting subject, thanks for posting.

10. nariyahumtrends.info October 17, 2014 at 2:37 pm #

If soke one wants expet view rrgarding blogging afcter that
    i recommend him/her tto paay a vist thios weblog, Keepp upp tthe ggood work.

11. หลั่งเร็ว October 17, 2014 at 11:17 pm #

Thanks for various other insightful site. The location different could I recieve that kind of data prepared in this particular excellent technique? I’ve a project that I am just now performing on, and that i are within the hunt for these kinds of details.

12. zxtofficial.org October 19, 2014 at 11:26 pm #

I used to be recommended this blog by means of my cousin. I’m not certain whether or not this post is written by indicates of him as nobody else recognize such certain about my difficulty. You are incredible! Thanks!

13. healthy meals October 20, 2014 at 6:25 pm #

I have trouble stopping eating even if I am full. So, I find is more effective to count my calories and net carbs. I know myself, and if I didn’t have to count calories I would eat double the appropriate portions, especially for beef or pork. I find it works pretty well for me to shoot for 1500ish calories on non-exercising days and 1700ish on weightlifting days. I’m not rigid about this but it is my guideline. I always try to stay under 30 net carbs. Unfortunately, without fail every 2-6 months I go crazy and gain all the weight back that I had lost. Maybe someday I will learn how to stick to it.