A few months ago I was fortunate enough to be part of an expedition to bring greater awareness to the scarcity of fresh drinking water experienced by many countries around the world. Called Summit on the Summit, the expedition was a 60 mile hike up Kilimanjaro and included some artists, educators and guides who shared my interest in this awareness project, including Mark Foster, Justin Chatwin and Beau Garrett.

I put together this short video to give y’all a glimpse of the gear I packed for the trek. I kept it pretty light and stuck to two main camera systems:

_Nikon D4 platform

Other Gear:
_Manfrotto Support
_MacBook Pro + Macbook Air
_GTech External Hard Drives
_LowePro Bags
_Dakine Photo Brick

Watch the vid for the full deets on my tech choices for this amazing journey.

Those slick beats underneath the video are compliments of the one, the only mr BIG CHOCOLATE…here on iTunes.
Big Chocolate Facebook
@bigchocolate

20 Responses to Chase Jarvis TECH: Packing Photo Gear For Hiking [whether for a day trip or up to 19,030 feet on Mt. Kilimanjaro]

1. Brad May 7, 2013 at 9:22 am #

Very cool. The chest harness in particular looks like it it’d be great for backpacking photographers.

2. Patrick May 7, 2013 at 9:53 am #

How are you charging your camera and computer batteries on the mountain?
    Thanks,
    Patrick

3. Anton May 7, 2013 at 10:12 am #

Time to update the Gear page!

• Chase May 13, 2013 at 11:53 pm #

damn. i know. sooooo outta date. gear upkeep on the site is my thorn ;)

4. Kevin Benny May 7, 2013 at 10:28 am #

Thats a whole lot to hike with. Love the D4 bag! :P

5. Jerry "Goose" May 7, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

Great good luck and be safe !

6. Bryce May 7, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

I have two quick questions. Are you wearing a particular watch in this video? Also, will you be updating the blog with more gear posts? I noticed you mentioned it recently. Although the gear doesn’t make the photo better, it’s interesting to see what toys and set ups you use on trips.

• Chase May 13, 2013 at 11:53 pm #

yes – wearing a suunto watch w altimeter, etc

happy to do gear posts when the gear helps get the shot!

always more coming, i promise.

7. Dave May 8, 2013 at 4:04 am #

What’s the make and model of the backpack and padded brick?

Thanks for the vid, good stuff!

• Chase May 8, 2013 at 11:23 am #

See above links. Thanks!

8. jay May 8, 2013 at 8:35 am #

That’s over kill. I feel bad for the porters too. Where’s your tent and and food?

• chase jarvis May 8, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

not even close to overkill when you’re looking at it from where i’m sitting jay. bare minimum gear.

there’s pretty large diff btwn what even an advance am or “journalist” pro takes on a job and someone who does the work that i do. things break, shit happens, and I can’t afford to hamstring the entire project because of unforeseen circumstances… gotta prepare for almost everything so this is a very small kit relative to what guys like me normally tote around

bigger discussion about this over on the youtube vid page here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88WMylHZ3rg#!

9. faisal May 8, 2013 at 10:31 am #

That is a lot of kit but for the “height” of the job, its needed.

10. Leon May 13, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

Wow, what a setup! I brought my OMD to Vietnam in january and had the best time. Got some great photos, you can see them on DacbertStudios.com The main lens I used was the panasonic 12-35 2.8. I knew I was in for some wet weather so I was prepared with the lens and camera body being weather sealed. Well, I thought I was prepared. I had 3 batteries in total that I recharged during the trip. The camera setup was water resistant but the battery charger wasn’t. about two thirds of the way my charger got soaked in my suitcase while it was transferred into an airplane. By that time I didn’t have my batteries charged so I felt like I was shooting film with just a few frames less the rest of the trip. Bummer, but I still came out with some good stuff.

And this highlights the only downside I have about the OMD. I get anywhere around 300-500 shots per charge, depending on how much I use the screen. If I had my D3s with me on the trip then I would have been ok for about 2500-3000 images, but theres more weight to carry around. All give and takes. I guess the real solution would have been to keep my charger dry.

Good luck Chase, and can’t wait to see the images!

11. jeremy May 13, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

I am little surprised you didn’t pack a D800 instead of the D4 considering you would be more likely to be shooting some epic landscape/nature scenes on this trip rather than extreme sports action.

• Chase May 13, 2013 at 11:51 pm #

reasonable point jeremy… i like the d800, but the d4 is 1) more bulletproof 2) has higher quality megapixels… the d800 has a lot of em, but of a lower quality IMHO. 3) better battery life 4) in my possession ;)

12. Manuel Ortega May 13, 2013 at 11:37 pm #

Great vid! Thanks for the tips- That is a lot of gear!

13. tara August 22, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

can’t wait to check out some of this gear!

14. Kevin May 7, 2013 at 10:12 am #

I have the Capture from Peak Design. Your right, great stuff, particuly for expendition. Love it!

1. rian344091co » Blog Archive » the Keebler brand of which was his mom s favorite - May 25, 2013

[...] the playoffs may be a coming-out party. [...]