A few months ago I was fortunate enough to be part of an expedition to bring greater awareness to the scarcity of fresh drinking water experienced by many countries around the world. Called Summit on the Summit, the expedition was a 60 mile hike up Kilimanjaro and included some artists, educators and guides who shared my interest in this awareness project, including Mark Foster, Justin Chatwin and Beau Garrett.

I put together this short video to give y’all a glimpse of the gear I packed for the trek. I kept it pretty light and stuck to two main camera systems:

_Nikon D4 platform

Other Gear:
_Manfrotto Support
_MacBook Pro + Macbook Air
_GTech External Hard Drives
_LowePro Bags
_Dakine Photo Brick

Watch the vid for the full deets on my tech choices for this amazing journey.

Those slick beats underneath the video are compliments of the one, the only mr BIG CHOCOLATE…here on iTunes.
Big Chocolate Facebook
@bigchocolate

30 Responses to Chase Jarvis TECH: Packing Photo Gear For Hiking [whether for a day trip or up to 19,030 feet on Mt. Kilimanjaro]

1. Brad May 7, 2013 at 9:22 am #

Very cool. The chest harness in particular looks like it it’d be great for backpacking photographers.

2. Patrick May 7, 2013 at 9:53 am #

How are you charging your camera and computer batteries on the mountain?
    Thanks,
    Patrick

3. Anton May 7, 2013 at 10:12 am #

Time to update the Gear page!

• Chase May 13, 2013 at 11:53 pm #

damn. i know. sooooo outta date. gear upkeep on the site is my thorn ;)

4. Kevin Benny May 7, 2013 at 10:28 am #

Thats a whole lot to hike with. Love the D4 bag! :P

5. Jerry "Goose" May 7, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

Great good luck and be safe !

6. Bryce May 7, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

I have two quick questions. Are you wearing a particular watch in this video? Also, will you be updating the blog with more gear posts? I noticed you mentioned it recently. Although the gear doesn’t make the photo better, it’s interesting to see what toys and set ups you use on trips.

• Chase May 13, 2013 at 11:53 pm #

yes – wearing a suunto watch w altimeter, etc

happy to do gear posts when the gear helps get the shot!

always more coming, i promise.

7. Dave May 8, 2013 at 4:04 am #

What’s the make and model of the backpack and padded brick?

Thanks for the vid, good stuff!

• Chase May 8, 2013 at 11:23 am #

See above links. Thanks!

8. jay May 8, 2013 at 8:35 am #

That’s over kill. I feel bad for the porters too. Where’s your tent and and food?

• chase jarvis May 8, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

not even close to overkill when you’re looking at it from where i’m sitting jay. bare minimum gear.

there’s pretty large diff btwn what even an advance am or “journalist” pro takes on a job and someone who does the work that i do. things break, shit happens, and I can’t afford to hamstring the entire project because of unforeseen circumstances… gotta prepare for almost everything so this is a very small kit relative to what guys like me normally tote around

bigger discussion about this over on the youtube vid page here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88WMylHZ3rg#!

9. faisal May 8, 2013 at 10:31 am #

That is a lot of kit but for the “height” of the job, its needed.

10. Leon May 13, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

Wow, what a setup! I brought my OMD to Vietnam in january and had the best time. Got some great photos, you can see them on DacbertStudios.com The main lens I used was the panasonic 12-35 2.8. I knew I was in for some wet weather so I was prepared with the lens and camera body being weather sealed. Well, I thought I was prepared. I had 3 batteries in total that I recharged during the trip. The camera setup was water resistant but the battery charger wasn’t. about two thirds of the way my charger got soaked in my suitcase while it was transferred into an airplane. By that time I didn’t have my batteries charged so I felt like I was shooting film with just a few frames less the rest of the trip. Bummer, but I still came out with some good stuff.

And this highlights the only downside I have about the OMD. I get anywhere around 300-500 shots per charge, depending on how much I use the screen. If I had my D3s with me on the trip then I would have been ok for about 2500-3000 images, but theres more weight to carry around. All give and takes. I guess the real solution would have been to keep my charger dry.

Good luck Chase, and can’t wait to see the images!

11. jeremy May 13, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

I am little surprised you didn’t pack a D800 instead of the D4 considering you would be more likely to be shooting some epic landscape/nature scenes on this trip rather than extreme sports action.

• Chase May 13, 2013 at 11:51 pm #

reasonable point jeremy… i like the d800, but the d4 is 1) more bulletproof 2) has higher quality megapixels… the d800 has a lot of em, but of a lower quality IMHO. 3) better battery life 4) in my possession ;)

12. Manuel Ortega May 13, 2013 at 11:37 pm #

Great vid! Thanks for the tips- That is a lot of gear!

13. tara August 22, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

can’t wait to check out some of this gear!

14. Prince Rampey May 15, 2014 at 10:45 pm #

Dude.. I am not substantially into studying, but somehow I obtained to experience lots of guide subject material using your online internet site. Its amazing how attention-grabbing it seriously is for me to go to you pretty frequently.

15. Marva Inostraza September 21, 2014 at 6:00 pm #

I drop a comment each and every time I like a post on a web site or if We have something to valuable to contribute to the conversation. It’s a result of your fire communicated in the submit I browsed. And after reading this post I was in fact moved enough to drop a comment here

16. Lilian Dubson October 3, 2014 at 10:03 am #

Man this is so informative, I love reading about health. Loved the tip rainey just made. Its so difficult to find the right product for me. I’ve been looking now for 3 weeks! LOL Just want to let you all know I will make my goal one way or another. I promise you that! Wish me luck! :)

17. Ramonita October 6, 2014 at 2:05 pm #

If some one wants to be updated with hottest technologies therefore he must be
    go to see this web site and be up to date every day.

18. Tegenkamp@outlook.com October 10, 2014 at 5:12 am #

This web site is merely splendid, the info is updated as well as clear. I will most definitely see this site once more. I’m sorry if my English isn’t really adequate, i am actually a Spanish language speaker, sorry with regards to that. Maintain the great:-RRB-.

19. Sibyl October 16, 2014 at 6:36 pm #

Its not my first time to pay a quick visit this site, i am
    browsing this web site dailly and obtain nice data from here daily.

20. buy facebook fans October 17, 2014 at 7:47 pm #

I will be corresponding with allow you to have knowledge of just what a excellent encounter our daughter experienced viewing the blog. She found find numerous pieces, including what its enjoy having an excellent teaching mood to own lots of people really easily fully understand several problematic intended theme. You undoubtedly exceeded readers expectations. I appreciate you for distributing these good, trusted, explanatory and also unique ideas on your topic to Janet.

21. Titus October 17, 2014 at 9:45 pm #

Goood day! Do yoou know if they make anyy pluggins tto
    protect afainst hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losjng everythig
    I’ve worked hard on. Any tips?

22. distributor pintu kayu October 20, 2014 at 10:04 am #

I wish to show appreciation to this writer just for bailing me out of this particular problem. Right after exploring throughout the search engines and meeting proposals which are not powerful, I believed my life was well over. Living devoid of the solutions to the difficulties you have fixed all through your guide is a crucial case, and the ones that could have adversely damaged my entire career if I hadn’t come across your web site. Your own capability and kindness in taking care of the whole thing was valuable. I’m not sure what I would’ve done if I had not discovered such a step like this. I am able to at this point look ahead to my future. Thanks a lot very much for this impressive and sensible help. I will not think twice to endorse the blog to any person who should have care on this problem.

23. Kirby October 21, 2014 at 7:02 am #

I like thee valuale ino youu provide inn your articles.
    I’ll blokmark your webloog aand check again here frequently.
    I’mquite sue I will learn maqny new stuff right here!
    Best oof uck for the next!

24. Kevin May 7, 2013 at 10:12 am #

I have the Capture from Peak Design. Your right, great stuff, particuly for expendition. Love it!

1. rian344091co » Blog Archive » the Keebler brand of which was his mom s favorite - May 25, 2013

[...] the playoffs may be a coming-out party. [...]