Teton Gravity Research Aerial Reel – The Bay Area in 4K from Teton Gravity Research on Vimeo.

Fancy gimbals are the rage these days and I love ‘em all. Not withstanding some homies of mine from my action sports days, Teton Gravity Research, recently announced a partnership with Gyro Stabilized-Systems and launched the GSS C520, a game-changing 4K camera platform that makes that footy that you and I shoot look like sh*t in comparison. Having worked with these cats a bunch (see here – that’s me hanging out of the heli with Todd…) and having seen a sneak peek of the Bay Area aerial footage video above, I wanted to know more. So I sat down with TGR founder Todd Jones to get the scoop and see the new work behind this aerial gimbal game changer.

I know the details of course, but share with the readers your production company Teton Gravity Research.
The short version is… TGR is an action sports brand founded in 1996. We specialize in media creation and distribution. The core components of our company are films, television, commercials, film tours, and our digital platform, www.tetongravity.com.

From a creative standpoint what does this crazy cool GSSC520 do for you as a filmmaker?
From a creative standpoint the GSS allows us to capture the highest quality footage we possibly can. In the past, when working with 16mm film and DSLR’s, we had amazing tools, but they had their limitations as well. Our push now is to use the same tools and cameras that the most high profile films in the world are shot on. We believe that the ultra hd/4k movement is here and is necessary to provide a certain level of quality delivery to the audience. I never bought into the HD cameras and distribution space. It just was not equivalent to film. I was always impressed with the cineflex footage for its stability, but it also had the HD video edge too it. The C520 allows us to get those super stabilized motion shots at true cinema resolution. We have already been getting calls from some big feature films that are interested in using it on their films. It is pretty cool to think that Hollywood is now calling us to help them create their films with our camera systems. After all, 18 years ago we were just a couple of kids who wanted to make a ski and snowboard film from our point of view.

Break it down for me and the people…what’s the difference between this camera gyro and what you’ve used in the past?
This system is the first 4k resolution system of its kind. It has the most highly sophisticated stabilization technology that has ever been released. There are so many creative ways to use this system. We film highly visual action in stunning locations. To be able to have this camera in those scenarios is a dream.

Yeah, but why is this a game changer?
I think I was touching on it above, but it is the camera system of the future. We also have the ability to put the newest cameras in the world in it. We are currently working on putting the Sony F55 in it and will follow with the new 4k Phantom. The fact that we can rapidly integrate the newest cameras in the world into this system is huge.

Give us a glimpse into the future… Does this technology point to more/new things to come?
I think it does. For one thing it points to the Ultra HD/4k movement. That is coming at us fast. If you’re going to rent helicopters and shoot aerials you might as well shoot them in cinema resolution if you can afford it.

Ok, handwaving and high-fiving is nice, but give me a specific example of where this camera creates an advantage for you…
On the above point, any footage shot with our system will be relevant as the Ultra HD movement takes over. We are already in a situation where the 16mm film we shot for years has very little stock value beyond historical pieces or the TGR brand story. It will need to be presented as archival footage in those scenarios. We can’t even put some of those super epic shots on reels anymore. I am really psyched that the stuff we have been shooting is more future proofed – at least for the next iteration of technology.

I know the answer on this one, but for the benefit of those who might now, what makes you and the TGR team so uniquely qualified to create with this tool? Hollywood here we come?
We have been filming aerials for 18 years. We have worked with limited resources up until now and made them work. Shooting with this system is crazy. The quality of shots is like nothing we have ever captured and it opens doors for us. I just spent the last three weeks working with it in Alaska and it is our best footage to date. We can’t wait to show it to the world.

And we can’t wait to see it. Thanks Todd.

13 Responses to Moving The Camera Pays Big: New Gyro Game-Changer used by Teton Gravity Research [interview + video]

1. faisal May 10, 2013 at 5:54 am #

Looks like some very expensive bit of hardware.

2. jonty May 10, 2013 at 6:58 am #

And what about the fancy gimbals? Chase/Jenni did ask three times and all we read is hype about 4K (resolution).

3. Chase May 10, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

Stunning.

4. Keaten Abbott May 12, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

Really stunning images. I however disagree with everything he says with the 4k. I have had the privilege to shoot with all the top digital cameras and would argue that the Alexa at 2k looks better than anything I have ever seen. Resolution isn’t everything. Sounds like a Red owner to me.

5. WordPress Blog Hacked June 21, 2013 at 11:36 pm #

The very crux of your writing while sounding reasonable in the beginning, did not really settle well with me after some time. Someplace within the paragraphs you actually were able to make me a believer unfortunately only for a short while. I nevertheless have got a problem with your leaps in assumptions and you might do well to fill in all those breaks. In the event that you can accomplish that, I would definitely end up being impressed.

6. Jchauhan Photography October 30, 2013 at 5:21 pm #

This is awesome, i have a chance to play around with one of these bad boys next month and after watching this video i cant wait for this month to be over now :)

7. Denise R. Ned May 8, 2014 at 5:18 pm #

Was Just scanning over . I really like your concepts. Do create a little more of this issue ok. Thanks a ton

8. Certainly along with your sales pitches. With that in mind, a great article a lot. We are going to often Thanks for great demonstration

9. Marianne September 13, 2014 at 6:14 am #

First of all I want to say excellent blog! I had a quick question that I’d like to ask if you
    don’t mind. I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your head before writing.
    I have had trouble clearing my mind in getting my thoughts out there.
    I truly do take pleasure in writing however it just seems
    like the first 10 to 15 minutes are generally wasted just trying to figure out how
    to begin. Any ideas or tips? Appreciate it!

10. secret millionaire society review September 20, 2014 at 9:06 am #

hello there and thank you for your information – I’ve certainly picked up something new fromm right here.

I did however expertise some technical issues using thius site,
    as I experienced to reload the web site lots off times previous
    to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your
    web hopst is OK? Not that I am complaining, but low loading instances
    times wll often affect your placement in google and cann
    damage your quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords.

Well I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and can ook out for much more of your respective intriging content.
    Esure that you update this again very soon.

11. herpes simplex September 22, 2014 at 7:57 pm #

As soon as I discovered this internet site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.

12. http://punbb.123flashchat.com October 7, 2014 at 7:13 pm #

A great deal of functions on these steam showers, I really like
    the radio opinion and also the lighting

13. wo bekomme ich kurzzeitkennzeichen October 17, 2014 at 7:14 am #

These are in fact one of the fascinating options in enabling borrowers
    to purchase homes. Then:Fax the following information so they can see
    that you qualify for their unsecured personal loans:Wait for approval.
    It is pretty self explanatory, but why does it have to be so
    complicated.