The Internet is Made of Cats — Here’s Proof That Cats Drive Creativity

An older Picasso with his furry companion.

As any regular Redditor knows, the internet is made of cats. They’ve been with us since the days of the Egyptians – although nowadays they have their own reality shows. What is it with these damn cats? As the collection of images below indicates, cats have played the role of creative muses in the lives of some pretty famous creatives, including Dali, Picasso and Warhol. [Warhol, it should be noted, once owned 25 cats, all of which he named Sam.]

Might the kitty companion be a key to unlocking the creative mind? I’ll posit that any loyal pet provides, at a minimum, a set of ears to bounce ideas off of and a second set of eyes to look upon your work-in-progress. Sure, feedback may be at a minimum, but at least you’ll be spared harsh criticism. [worth noting – there is a growing body of scientific evidence which shows that hanging out with a contented, purring cat can actually lower a human’s high blood pressure, decrease stress, increase self-confidence and reduce feelings of loneliness and isolation. So there you go.]

Have a quick gander at some photos of famous creatives with their cats. Share your dorky cat stories if you’re so inspired . You may or may not be judged (but I will confess that Chris G and I swapped cat stories and photos last night at dinner, so you’ll be ok in my nerdy book….

[thanks, Flavorwire]

Dali with his ocelot, Babou. From Wikipedia.

Photographer Margaret Bourke-White and her Reddit-worthy kitten. Photo by Alfred Eisenstaedt.

Writer Jean Cocteau with his cat, Karoun. Photo by Jane Brown.

Illustrator Saul Steinberg shows his cat how to stretch out. Photo by Henri Cartier-Bresson.

Georgia O'Keeffe poses with her pet Siamese cat. Photo by John Candelario.

Andy Warhol with his cat, Sam.

Photographer Edward Weston at his home, nicknamed "Wildcat Hill." Photo by Imogen Cunningham.

Artist Ai Weiwei with his cat Lai Lai. Photo by Ai Weiwei.

ciprofloxacin ophthalmic side effects lamisil ciprofloxacin interaction does ofloxacin have penicillin ciprofloxacin rasagiline levofloxacin renal ciprofloxacin video normal dose for ciprofloxacin ciprofloxacin treatment lyme levofloxacin vasculitis cipr

Randell says:

Wow, how depressing is this, not the guide but the range of sheep who acquire in to this crap.

Titled “Voice Text,” Apple’s latest iPhone 6 commercial once again stars Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake, who have become unofficial spokesmen for Apple’s new handset line, this time offering humorous examples of iOS 8 voice messaging capabilities.

OK, my mistake. The training video didn’t perform at initially, so I thought it had been only a picture.

Connie says:

Why do they have to be “damn cats”? Why can’t you have just left that word out. it is so dismissive when you call them that, and in a post where you seem to be celebrating cats it just seems so out of place.

Tobias says:

Don’t forget Swedish leftist writer and mumbling man Göran Greider who also fancies the feline friendship.

Shelley says:

What can I say… cat-people rock!

I’ve practiced presentations to my cat, cried on her on tough days, tol her how my day went when my hubby didn’t seem to care. She laughs at my jokes, knows when I need a break (and so sits on my keyboard), knows when I need some fresh air (she wants to go outside to walk), and she knows when I could use a hug and so rubs her cheek on mine and purrs.

Bottom line – when I spend time with her she makes me feel good and it’s when I’m in that feel-good place that my creativity revs. So, if you’re a struggling creative who feels like they’re in a slump, get a cat!

faisal says:

Who let the cats out! Who Who Who?

Richard says:

I had a buddy who lived in a tent for a few years after high school. he was super creative and a little out there. he had a tabby named Puck who was his best companion. he was super chill (my buddy. but now that i think of it, Puck was super chill, too). the two moved out to northern california for a while and the way i heard it, my buddy had to move suddenly down into the LA area and either couldn’t find Puck or for some reason couldn’t bring him. After a few weeks of living in LA solo, Puck showed up out of nowhere at my buddy’s front door. somehow the cat traveled hundreds of miles across california and found my buddy. crazy. since i heard that story i’ve always held cats in higher regard. i still don’t have one. (i almost wrote “own” but that wouldn;t have felt right). maybe it’s time to go feline.

Jared says:

Just can’t get away from cats these days, no matter where I go on the ‘webs.