How to Shoot [photograph] Fireworks

Happy Birthday USA!
Quick and Dirty Tips for Shooting Fireworks:

[If you want an in-depth step by step check out the video above from creativeLIVE]

1. Use a Tripod
You’ll want to make sure your camera is stable and secure. Check out some support systems here.

2. Remote Release
Invest in a remote release device. You can also use the timer shutter release function – but a remote release is the best option.

3. ISO
Shoot a low ISO. I recommend 100.

4. Focal Length
Timing is key with fireworks. You’re going to have to anticipate where the action is happening before it happens. This can be tricky if you’re shooting with a longer focal length and trying to stay tight. A wider focal length makes this easier, but experiment a bit. Zoom in and see if you get lucky. If you shoot wide, you can always go back and crop for the desired effect as well.

5. Aperture
Fireworks are BRIGHT. You dont need a really fast lens and the general consensus is that somewhere between f/8 to f/16 will work.

6. Shutter Speed
Shutter speed is going to be the most important aspect of your fireworks capture. A long exposure is what you’re going to want to go for. Shooting “bulb” with a remote release is the best technique. Hit the shutter as the firework is about to explode and hold it down until it’s finished. This could be a few seconds. At the same time,
don’t keep your shutter open too long. Remember: Fireworks are BRIGHT. Just because its dark doesnt mean that you wont completely blow out your photos if you keep the shutter open too long.

7. Framing
Get to your location a bit early. What’s in the foreground and background? Try to figure our where the fireworks are being set up and where they will end up in they sky. You will have to aim before the fireworks go off. If you are really on it – ask the folks coordinating the display for some advance information. This will be a big help. Consider your lens selection before the show start. Are you going to shoot horizontal or vertical? Dont forget how you’ve framed it up because when you’re in the dark, you might spend a lot of time looking directly at the fireworks display rather than through the viewfinder.

8. “No flash photography”
A flash will do nothing but crush your photos and leave you with smoke…turn it off or leave it at home.

Have a great Fourth of July and share some of these photos in the comments section for Thursday morning!

Good stuff! Get the best value when you buy fireworks online from http://www.bestfireworksstores.com. Just plain more BANG for the BUCK! Delivery to your door in most areas with no gimmicks.

Unfortunately, many managers who really want to do the right thing just don’t recognize it when it
happens, and they end up handling grievances or, worse, lawsuits.

It is also very important that the lingerie is comfortable, soft and skin-friendly.

Whereas there are those who will be considered to be average,
there are some that are considered to be big bodied
and above what is average.

Lucinda says:

If you desire to improve your familiarity just keep visiting this web
site and be updated with the hottest news posted here.

condom says:

Still one of the set back of this website is that the reasonable
rate is simply attainable for the participants of this site,
still do not worry membership is really trouble-free and chargeless.
Throughout the past lingerie or “could under garments” has been viewed as boring,
boring, then one that’s shed off instantly before you make really like.
They are the international sellers and wholesalers of lingerie.

Rzeczycki says:

Hi there, just turned into aware of your blog thru Google, and located that it’s really informative. I am gonna be careful for brussels. I will be grateful in the event you proceed this in future. Numerous other people might be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

Jessie says:

A yard sale in a couple of test chips, and they are one time investments which you make this.
Said Wagner,” design clothes no matter where people are spending money. We all know that searching home in good area with good facility and good landlord during admission process and study is not piece of cake. The Goodland reception desk is not just hanging pictures of fish and plant water lilies.

Karla says:

These have website wizards and templates for web site, they look for two things – job experience and education. It’s kind of like a dynamic zoom.

Exercise room floors need to give consideration to the
way safety data is viewed by the FDA to strengthen and tone the abs.

The speaker bar above each keyboard produces acceptable audio outstanding.
Quick, uncomplicated also it genuinely not demand very much within it the procedures for installation, a person’s Mac might be instantly lined from you.

I really like looking through a post that can make men and women think.
Also, thank you for allowing me to comment!

I am no longer positive the place you are getting your info, however great topic.
I needs to spend some time finding out more or understanding more.
Thanks for great info I used to be looking for this
information for my mission.

Sabina says:

I am sure ths piece of writing has touched all tthe interne viewers, its really really good paragraph on building up new weblog.

Great tips on how to shoot fireworks, I have recently wrote an article how to shoot fireworks, if you are interested check firework photography

Mr. Jarvis,
How do you photograph a bride and groom with fireworks in the background?

Spiros says:

Yes these are the exact settings that we fotorgaph our fireworks in Greece!

faisal says:

Best is remote release, easy.

Dan Oksnevad says:

Great tips! I agree, shooting “bulb” with a remote release is the best technique. And always remember your tripod!

Gaye Plevin says:

Hey amiga!!! I like the dress but… I think the top is SO YOU!! So colorful and free flowing- that is my choice for you. You’ll create a splash in either. I like the Limited but haven’t shopped there in a while- many thanks for the reminder. Hugs!!

Hello Al, I apologize. I mistook the red and white Rambler wagon around the correct streetside as a Stude. My tri-focals really don’t too very good either. ;o

VFF says:

Nice tut. In next time I will take photos from my own fireworks.

I don’t think Natalie looks pregnant, I think it’s a weird gathered seam in front that’s adding bulk. Last time she was pregnant, she showed a lot in the face it got round. Her face seems normal this time.

comunque interista cane bastardo nun m romper o cazz? e non commentare piu pisciazza……se tieni le palle vieni a napoli ti facciamo vedere una bella cosa…stronzo non commentare piu

Practice on a few fireworks devices of your own. Best fireworks stores online to buy fireworks at wholesale prices is http://www.fireworksstoreonline.com. wholesale pricing to the public everyday.

DanielKphoto says:

Nice tips chase! Though I think you missed out on a very important part: the focusing. You gotta make sure that it’s on manual focus and that you’ve focused it the way you want before the happening starts. Otherwise your camera is going to try to focus, but it won’t be able because everything’s so dark. Most cameras won’t take a shot at all when that happens. So you might want to include that, although the fourth of July is past already :P

Nice post anyway :)

Thanks for this post! To bad I didn’t get to take any this year, we had rain. Happy 4th of July Chase :)

Maria E says:

You are Fantastic John!, I <3 U

faisal says:

AWesome tips, they never go out of trend.

Steve says:

I was wondering if Long Exposure Noise Reduction is turned off? It you are clicking away between 0.5 and 4.0 seconds the delay for the the NR to complete could be annoying…

Si Hawkings says:

Great vlog!

I took this set using similar methods a while back.

Always great fun shooting fireworks!

Noreen says:

Thank you, John. I loved your style and presentation. Very easy to listen to and lots of great information for someone like me. All the best!

Here is my 1st attempt at fireworks. I did ask the event coordinator about the location and where the fireworks would be launched from. After setting up and a 45 min delay …. we learned that the location was changed. My framing is all wrong becaue of it , but here is my shot anyways.