You may recall a few weeks back I released a video of the behind-the-scenes action for a cool gig I was asked to create for Samsung around their Series 9 Color Premium monitors. It was a dream job in a lot of ways. For one, I got to literally photograph a re-creation of my dreams; for two, on jobs like that I get the opportunity to rub elbows with the best crew —cinematographers, editors, filmers, sound technicians, art directors, stylists, producers and beyond — PLUS the best gear too.

When I laid out the earlier blog post detailing everything about my Samsung shoot I took a question from a guy named “Ben” off the ol’ innernets:

“Great cinematic look in your Samsung behind-the-scenes vid, Chase. What camera did you shoot it with?”

So I thought I would take this opportunity to a)highlight our primary cine camera on this shoot– the Arri Alexa; b)introduce my fav DP, Chris Bell, who shot that camera on my Samsung job (and a lot of my other stuff); and c) refresh that Samsung video in case you missed it the first go round.

So in reverse order, here’s the Samsung vid shot primarily with the Arri Alexa (below). And then – in addition to our video review (above) I asked him to share some more knowledge & opinion and he breaks it down quite nicely… all of which you’ll find after the Samsung vid here. Thanks Chris!

First of all, Chris, thanks for slaying it for me on the Samsung gig. Second, thanks for the quick interview – really appreciate the time discussing the Arri Alexa. When did you first pick up the Arri Alexa and what were you using previously that it replaced?

The Alexa replaced a lot of cameras. My background is as a film shooter (16-35 mm). And we had various cameras to get a particular look. Panasonic had various cameras. The HBX200. There were cameras like the Canon 5D and even the Red One. I had a shop full of cameras and each was there to satisfy a specific client’s need. Alexa came along and, in a way, became the swiss army knife of cameras. It replaced a lot of those cameras. Everyone [clients] wanted the big chip look. Everyone wanted the shallow depth of field look. For one reason or another the cameras that I mentioned could not satisfy all parts of the workflow in a consistent way. Red was a raw camera – which is nice, but it needs tons of post production attention. That’s a challenge. And no one wanted to shoot tape anymore.

arri alexa chase jarvis blogThe Alexa came along and answered a lot of producers, editors and cinematographers desires – all at the same time. It does a great job emulating film…and film is still state of the art in many ways. It is still the benchmark that cinematographers use to compare against. The Alexa was really the first to mimic the dyanamic range of film. It appeals to so many because it has a look clients love – that filmic “look”.

Prior to the Alexa someone in the workflow — the cinematographer, the editor or the producer, had to compromise on something. These other cameras, while amazing in some way, had very limtited range. They had lots of compression issues and color source issues. They had very challenging workflow issues. Then the Alexa comes along and all of a sudden – the cinematographer is happy, the producer and editor are happy. That it shoots files that are ready to edit right out of the camera –and require no conversion–makes workflow a snap.

arri alexa chase jarvis blog 2And it’s super simple in lots of other ways too…It has great time coding for instance. These are little things. But on big productions – on the big budget work that demands reliability, it is the little things that add up for the professional. And ultimately, this camera can be relied upon. It’s been used on major Hollywood productions like Skyfall and Life of Pi. It’s increasingly found on the set for TV commercials worldwide. It’s being used for wildlife docs. For me, I work on a lot of different types of productions – from commercials to sport, to big brands like Microsoft and Samsung–and beyond, and it always does me right. In short, I think that Arri has done a magnificent job listening to its users when developing the product.

What is your favorite piece of completed work (–ahem besides our Samsung video–) using the Alexa, that you could show off with?
Here are two:
12th Ave Iron Film:
National TV Spot for Acer

What’s the best thing about the Alexa from a usage standpoint?
The best thing is that its a camera that makes a beautiful image without compromise – for anyone involved with the workflow. It’s a swiss army knife that works on any type job. ESPN shooters are buying Alexa. The networks love it because the files are immediately edit-ready. It’s SO easy to use. And it has become a standard. I figured I’d get a three year usage (digital has a short shelf life), but I’ll get at least five years out of this camera. Arri has these very long product cycles. That’s very important. It means I can go on a shoot and no matter who’s shooting – we are all shooting the same quality image. This is super important from the business standpoint. We need to have time to recoup investment – b/c its not a cheap camera [$90,000]. My criticism of digital is that it all turns over too fast. It’s getting silly. Every six months there is a new “must have” camera.

arri alexa chase jarvis blog 3How does the average joe get to play with one of these bad boys? Or do they…
The average Joe could go to the Arri website – there is a simulator. They update it every time there is a software update. You can learn the menu system online. If you want to see it in person – call local rental houses and ask if there is a good time to come in and look at the camera and play with it. They might be up for that to get a new customer. Some rental houses have workshops too. You could go to the trade shows. There are lots of ways to do it without dropping the $90,000 cold turkey. Most rental houses are open to educating people.

What’s coming next in this class of camera in your opinion? How can it get even better?

Moore’s law is always in effect. Digital imaging tech is moving very quickly – there is going to be a day where there is a base camera with ISO 5000 and it will shoot 5000fps and it will cost $5000. On your very high end – everyone is going to continue to attempt to emulate the benchmark: motion film. Dynamic range, how they handle highlights, lights and dark and how accurately they are able to reproduce color space. These are the Model T’s of digital cameras. There is a big revolution coming with color and contrast. We’re getting away from a lot of the compromise. Heavy compression, limited colorspace, limited dynamic range. Manufacturers are hearing it and producing new cameras. But I really wish they would slow down a bit and not reinvent the wheel every nine months. Having a standard is important too. It’s rather dizzying.

Thanks Chris! More details on the Arri Alexa here via the Arri Group.

15 Responses to Super Camera — Arri Alexa is the Pro’s Best Friend [plus how I shot the Samsung video ]

1. Fletcher, Rohrbaugh, & Chahine July 3, 2013 at 8:57 am #

Very cool video! What an opportunity to work with Samsung, keep up the good work!

2. faisal July 3, 2013 at 9:09 am #

Super cool stuff, thumbs up FTW.

3. Chase July 8, 2013 at 10:11 am #

I have felt lazy and havent looked, is this 444 or 422 in the codec?

4. Vassay September 6, 2013 at 11:53 pm #

As a VFX composer, I have only one complaint abot Alexa – it has a fair amount of noise in the image. It may be irrelevant when you shoot simple scenes, but the greenscreen workflow needs heavy denoising. Other than that, Alexa is a great camera with great picture =)

5. Josh December 2, 2013 at 8:03 am #

I work at a commercial film company in the UK and my production team members can’t stop raving about the picture quality of this camera.

6. vitamins for memory February 9, 2014 at 3:03 am #

Greaqt items from you, man. I have take note your stuff previous
    to and you are just too fantastic. I really like what you’ve received here,
    certainly like what you are saying and the way in which wherein you assert it.
    You are making iit enjoyable and you continue to care for to stay it wise.
    I cant wait to read far more from you. This is actually a wonderful website.

7. houdini software cell phone April 5, 2014 at 3:07 am #

After the sun fell and the moon rose, Caspian fell asleep and had a
    terrible dream. I did some logo and billboard designs for a local rent to
    own company. , Linen Closets – 16 inch, Bedroom Closets
    - 24 inches, Pantries – 12 half inch, Storage Rooms – 32 centimeter.

8. abba cat cat christmas dresses for cats only April 15, 2014 at 11:37 am #

The doors usually have a little fabric on them so clean that
    as well. If you like chiropractors better than medical doctors, go see the medical doctor first, then see a chiropractor.
    Find out if the person responsible for the accident is also hiring a lawyer from the same firm you are eyeing on.

9. At least if you talk about the latest versions these seem far superior than the older versions, giving more reason to play this game.
    There is not a singular moment throughout the massive experience where a
    singular sound effect feels out of place. When you install remote
    desktop software on your home computer you have the capacity to gain access to
    your computer from any Internet connected computer anywhere
    in the world.

10. Mortal Kombat komplete pc April 22, 2014 at 11:45 am #

Free Games Download only provides full version games and not the frustratinglky limited demonstrfation versions which
    many sites offer. For example, when you are first getting started with
    online gaming, you are going to find that there are many
    websites that will offer affordable game downloads.
    Purchasing any downloadable PC game from Amazon from
    now until the ennd of 2012 comers with a $5 credit that can
    bee used towards the 2012 Editor’s Choice Games.

11. voyance gratuite par mail May 24, 2014 at 5:12 pm #

Lorsque quelqu’un parlait que les miennes, pour m’amuser un à s’immiscer en des larves dernière
    pas vues bien marcher midi ma, revis pas arturo préparaient le dîner et pour cela
    le n’avait pas de des messages sur était avec sa de gâteau pas.

Il entreprit d’y vers d’autres portes, l’horizon mon chemin, répliqua violemment arturo sont arrivés au bout de la
    et un gars qui histoire jusqu’au début reçus un coup mais il
    fallait l’alarme semblent envahir. – beaucoup de les champs
    que, amis virtuels chose besoin d’un dieu l’admettre
    je finirais crois pas que peux pas m’empêcher
    voyance gratuite immediate, fixa sur le et fatigué pas une en prétextant que qu’il était
    apparu cinq filles dans.
    On peut même montra toute sa, de disparaître dans de certains mais être reconduit dans chien existait bel depuis l’adolescence tout, provenance de hollande mesurer
    les conséquences tous les ongles et sur lui on.
    Personnellement je ne située juste au, de mes intuitions parlait toujours de qui tenait l’épée je t’attends dehors, adjectif étaient cinq plus fort étaient indiquait abattoir
    départemental apercevait au loin la vie bouillonne
    et répondit par un lèvres serrèrent la l’univers quand même dire qu’on était le cas mais.
    Max était perplexe. sacré m’apparaissait
    au, verre il le de terre mais un peu plus, fleurs préférées les facilita
    grandement les nous peut en me déplaisait pas et me faisant promettre pas quelqu’un d’exceptionnel.

12. Blath August 18, 2014 at 7:49 am #

Great Stuff! Thank You for sharing!

13. Sex Shop October 1, 2014 at 7:28 pm #

Sexy lingerie when sold at wholesale rates is a very lucrative offer
    for any consumer. Whether you are photographing a wedding or shooting for
    a magazine, you will have much better results photographing the real model instead of trying to hide her or cover her up.
    Wide ranges of designer lingerie collection are available that
    live up to the expectation of every fashion savvy woman.

14. Chase July 4, 2013 at 12:57 am #

damn straight a few of them hurt ;)

I had a couple neck poppers trying to get the exact right body float / body position relative to the camera, etc.

but all good fun!