Photoshoots with Flying Cameras, Bulldozers & World Class Athletes [plus Other Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Antics from my Aspen Campaign]

Snow cats. Flying cameras and world-class athletes.  Couple-o-sunrises. One of the most unique locations I’ve found in my career (a coal mine?!) and a superfun campaign for one of the top mountain destinations in the world…here’s behind the scenes for my most recent campaign to drop –> Aspen.

ChaseJarvis_20130313_CJ_Aspen_3_AAA1167_Edited_2rev

This past March, you might have caught wind of my live updates while shooting the 2013-2014 campaign for my friends at Aspen/Snowmass ski resort. In the midst of the controlled chaos of a high-altitude photoshoot, while obsessing over the weather, we were able to share a few the scenes photos. chasejarvis_aspen
Today we’re dropping “ChaseJarvisRAW: Aspen/Snowmass Behind the Scenes” timed to coincide with the launch of the campaign in action sports magazines worldwide. We’re also sharing those ads below (See below for a few examples with the original photos) before they land in magazines and on billboards worldwide.

As is always the case with a project of this scope, the story behind the final imagery is something I enjoy sharing via the photos or videos themselves.

Last March, we rolled into Aspen with a fast-n-light crew of six of my Seattle-based team to join Aspen’s marketing + media teams and their creative agency Factory Labs) To produce this video and the images below, we coordinated around 45 people and quite the pile of gear in an unpredictable, high-altitude, always-changing environment over a span of 5 days. Standard challenges apply

Working in an alpine environment can be difficult, but there’s another challenge to shooting in Aspen: telling a unique story about one of the most written about, filmed and photographed places on Earth. So we ventured north from Aspen into the Roaring Fork valley looking for a new angle. And we found it.

Backstory on our unique location and how it tied to the campaign. Aspen Skiing Company is one of America’s most outspoken corporations on climate change, and it backs up its talk with innovative efforts to both mitigate its own pollution and to model climate-friendly business practices. That’s smart, forward thinking for an industry that depends on consistent snowfall for its survival – so we incorporated this into on of our shoot locations….
ChaseJarvis_Davenport20130312_Aspen_1_AAA9873 So here’s the crazy part – Aspen’s newest addition to their sustainability program is based at the Elk Creek Coal Mine. How does that make sense you say? Here’s how it works: First, Aspen BUILT & OWNS A system that captures methane emissions vented from mine (a mine that has been under operation for a long time – no going back on that) and uses this gas to generate electricity, which is fed into the grid. NOT the coal, but capturing the energy put off by the off gassing. By preventing the methane—a greenhouse gas twenty three times more harmful that carbon dioxide—from entering the atmosphere, the project eliminates three times the carbon pollution that Aspen Skiing Company creates each year. Boom. If that’s not thinking outside-the-box then I don’t know what is. It also happened to be a perfect place to find a unique photograph. So we went to the mine to capture a gritty, industrial snow shoot with this, what I consider a unique backstory, about how Aspen is being inventive around how it invests in clean power.

Shooting on location in the mountains comes with the usual crazy challenges: cold weather, even colder hands and feet, crazy wind, scorching sun and altitude, but shooting at a coal mine with skiers and snowboarders – that was a first for me as a professional and a wicked creative way to tell this great story. And were the bulldozers, cranes, choppers and other nifty things we needed to build the shoot.

But that is what makes Aspen great – they do things differently and allow the artists that work with and for them to operate that way too. While some of my previous BTS videos show that originality, we wanted the focus of this video to be the ways we captured the photos, the people, the athletes and the action. We skied, hiked, snow-catted, ate, drank, danced, piled gravel and pipes and laughed our way through this job – a helluva a lot work, but even more fun. Hope you enjoy. Here are some of the images and the final ad creatives:

chasejarvis_coalmine_aspensnowmass

Chasejarvis_coalmine_aspensnowmass

ChaseJarvis_chrisdavenport
ChaseJarvis_Dav_BurntMountain_Powder_NovResortGuide_FINAL

If you’ve ever wondered what we use for a video and photo shoot like this…here are the essentials on our GEAR LIST:
[Available from Adorama]

// (2) Nikon D4 bodies
Nikon 14-24mm f2.8
24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8

// BTS camera kit:
Canon 5D MarkIII, 16-35mm f2.8, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f4, 35mm f1.4

// Sony F3 35mm f2, 50mm f2, 85mm f2
// Kessler CineSlider
kessler pocket dolly
kessler electra drive for timelapses

// (1) Octa-copter

// (7) GoPro Hero 3s – strapped to my head, my leg, to an octo-copter…and more.

// Broncolor Scoro 3200S
(2)Broncolor Unilite 1600,

Some other nuts and bolts from the shoot that are not obvious from the BTS vid, but that you might be interested to know:

// The Elk Coal Creek Mine/Aspen initiative is the first project west of Mississippi to turn coal-mine methane into electricity,

// Among the many shredders we worked with is legendary Chris Davenport, one of the best skiers of all time. Chris has climbed and skied all 50+ 14,000 peaks in Colorado in one year and recently skied off Everest. Follow him here @steepskiing. Total badass. Consummate pro. And he’s in Washington DC lobbying for climate solutions as you read this.

// We shot the entire campaign and video in 5 days

// Aspen is releasing a 6-part series to go with this campaign video – tune in here.

Also – final note. MY GOODNESS is the band responsible for the rocking tunes in the video. Three songs in the video: Check your Bones, Lost in the Soul and Cold Feet Killer. If you dig the tunes, you can listen to an entire live performance they did shot by cjLIVE here in video form, and you can also stream the performance on soundcloud here. Please enjoy – take a listen, and share with your friends.

Learn more about My Goodness here - http://www.facebook.com/MyGoodness

chasejarvis_chrisdavenport ChaseJarvis_snowboarder_aspenchasejarvis_Aspen_Photoshoot

chasejarvis_aspensnowmass

Chasejarvis_AspenSnowmass

Brett says:

Ensure that your resume makes it easy for the
readers to identify your capabilities and feel your
enthusiasm to be a part of their workforce. 5) Another thing to look
into is whether the cover charge will include
housekeeping services. Just like having dolphin velour beach towel which
is eye-catching to one and all due to the uniqueness it brings.

They are considering a ban on these compounds due to concerns that the paralysis could become permanent.
5) Another thing to look into is whether the cover charge will include housekeeping
services. Just like having dolphin velour beach towel which is eye-catching
to one and all due to the uniqueness it brings.

You can certainly see your enthusiasm in the work you write.

The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not
afraid to mention how they believe. All the time
go after your heart.

small juicer says:

If your family enjoys camping, you can even extend your visit over a weekend and set up tents along the way.
A good majority move down from the cold up north to our beautiful,
white sandy beaches. Just like having dolphin velour beach towel which is eye-catching to one and all
due to the uniqueness it brings.

Elijah says:

We’re likely to try to fix the mailing address/billing address thing.

vert juicer says:

way. There are many different ways to enjoy the wonder of a Disney holiday.
In a new media driven world, people rely on search, their friends on social networks, and other online media channels to hear about things happening in the digital world.

Gwen says:

Final evening my adorable husband gave me a fantastic idea for a post.

Thank you, I’ve just been searching for info about this subject for ages and
yours is the greatest I’ve came upon till now. But,
what about the conclusion? Are you sure about the supply?

In Calgary, web growth support by Web design Thailand is quite popular.
The lucrativeness of the situation has led many marketing and web design enterprises to venture into
this business. Depending on the severity of your situation in can take anywhere
from a few weeks to six or more months of aggressive link building and press releases.

ostry.y0.pl says:

Everything is very open with a really clear explanation of the challenges.
It was truly informative. Your website is very helpful.
Thank you for sharing!

SEO VPS says:

I blog often and I genuinely appreciate your information. Your article has truly peaked my interest.
I will take a note of your site and keep checking for new details about once a week.
I opted in for your Feed too.

check says:

I’m also writing to let you understand what a superb discovery our princess went through reading through your blog. She noticed too many things, not to mention what it’s like to possess a marvelous coaching heart to let other people smoothly fully understand chosen grueling subject matter. You truly exceeded my expectations. Many thanks for presenting those invaluable, dependable, explanatory and also cool tips about the topic to Gloria.

Nice read. I just passed this onto a buddy who was doing some research on that. He just bought me lunch since I identified it for him! Thus let me rephrase: Thanx for lunch!

I feel this is among the most significant information to me. And I am grateful browsing your write-up. But should remark on some basic factors, the internet site fashion is wonderful, the posts is certainly wonderful: D. Great employment, cheers

harga ponsel says:

Well I truly liked reading it. This tip procured by you is very helpful for proper planning.

Clark says:

Whhy peope still use to read news paers whedn in this technological world the whole thing is presented oon net?

Hi there, just became aware of your weblog by means of Google, and discovered that it truly is truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I’ll be grateful in the event you continue this in future. Numerous folks is going to be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

Pilgrim says:

Neglect itts auspicious value; the right jeweller makes a woman look mopdern and delightful
instantly. No marvel jewellery has been and would be the classic approach the woman adorns herself.

I appreciate you various other insightful internet site. The site otherwise could I have that type of data created in this particular excellent approach? I have a project that I am simply now working on, so i happen to be on the lookout for this kind of details.

Great read!, I love reading about health. Loved the tip rainey just made. Its so difficult to find the right product for me. I’ve been looking now for 3 weeks! LOL Just want to let you all know I will make my goal one way or another. I promise you that! Wish me luck! :)

Chaya Burka says:

What an amazing woman and two very lucky little boys to have such a great mom. This is what a mother is supposed to be. Best of luck to this beautiful family.

Got my first letter yesterday! Loved it. I feel like I’m a portion of something fantastic that is certainly just starting to occur. Feeling a strange perception of community around it all. Maybe you are on to something here! Who would have ever assumed that persons would in fact print out words on paper just to have it sent from the mail to another person’s mailbox. Next thing you know, peoe will be growing their own food and walking or riding bikes everywhere. It’ll under no circumstances operate, damn progress.

View other Seattle Free Stuff articles or visit Cindy’s
blog at for frugal tips, free stuff and advice on saving money.
Online courses also provide baby boomers the chance to learn something
new. Learning the basics of good photography can take the help of a professional.

confirm the gear over for damage, and order when it works.

You can opt for the charms bar for volume control on-screen.
The internet is the best and cheapest way to help you improve your photographic skills.

What exactly is the easiest method to start a pictures website?

jake says:

you and your team, such an inspiration. thanks for always sharing your experiences with me and the world.

Love watching these videos and just getting inspired without even leaving the room

steviechris says:

yet another great article Chase! Always inspired by your work! Heading to Denver this weekend to shoot then to go do some early season riding and hopefully get some great shots in the meantime! This just boosted my excitement!

Jasmine* says:

So awesome. That is all.

Andrew C says:

Love it! Awesome photos and love the backstory. Also, always appreciate when you share what gear you were using specific to the shoot!

Chase says:

Copy that. And don’t forget theirs an entire gear SECTION here on the blog. Follow this link —-> http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/gear

Terry says:

Chase,
Just checked out the ASPEN SNOWMASS Video….. Wow! Really hard to find a adjective that can sum up the stellar photography/production that created this video! Awesome work!!! Peter Jackson… watch out, there is a new jedi in town and his name is Chase Jarvis!!

Chase says:

**blush. the day i have peter jackson’s accolades is the day I’ll wake up from a deep dreamy sleep. That said, I can’t think of focusing on one film long enough to get that result. I’ve done a few TV shows and damn if even that 26 min format doesn’t drive me batty cause it’s so loooongggggg.

faisal says:

One of the most beautiful pics seen in latest time. Wonderful.

Glorin says:

Great stuff!!! especially the composed covers…!

Chase says:

Yeah – the hope was tthat it would help illustrate how we shoot with the end use in mind for copy etc. We almost always have mockups either on set or as reference for the final composition. Super essential when shooting ad stuff…. It’s always more than just the photo….

There’s nothing more inspiring than seeing these behind the scenes vids, and the accompanying articles. Great article and photos Chase. For sure doing a little adventuring through the phoenix mountains this weekend to get some awesome photos.

Chase says:

Good luck on your journey in the mountains Brandon. I never stop getting excited when I head for the hills – with or without a camera!