ANNOUNCING: My Latest TV Documentary Project “Portrait of a City” with PBS

A few years back you may recall I dove head-first into a project that explored my home city of Seattle. I interviewed, photographed, and filmed the movers, the shakers, and the changemakers to better understand the culture of my city’s beating heart. 106 influencers in total, across almost every creative discipline — music, food, theater, athletics, activism, education, you name it. I went on to publish a 250 page fine hardback fine art book, gallery show, a line of wine, a line of chocolate bars, sold out of nearly everything and donated all the money to charity. We called this project Seattle 100 (<-- bunch of photos). Here's the original launch blog post.

Like the city it covered, that project has continued to evolve. So today, I’m stoked to share with you here the arrival of Portrait of a City, a new documentary TV project I concepted, directed and co-produced with the help of my friends over at our regional PBS station, KCTS 9. In this show and series of short interstitial interviews we take a look at how music has shaped the character and culture of Seattle. From bands like Nirvana to Macklemore, I dug into innovators past and present, asked them to share their reflections, ideas, and passions for this unique force within our community. You’ll hear from KEXP music curator John Richards, cellist Joshua Roman, actor Sarah Rudinoff, DJ Riz Rollins, music impresario David Meinert, SubPop Records’ Megan Jasper, musician John Roderick and more.

Check out the KCTS online schedule to find out when Portrait of City is running on the boob tube near you or -if you don’t live in the region- watch it above.

Here are some regional upcoming air dates:

Thursday, November 28, 10:00 pm on KCTS 9 HD – Seattle/Yakima
Thursday, November 28, 10:00 pm on KYVE 47 – Yakima
Tuesday, December 17, 11:30 pm on KCTS 9 HD – Seattle/Yakima
Tuesday, December 17, 11:30 pm on KYVE 47 – Yakima
Tuesday, December 31, 09:30 pm on KCTS 9 HD – Seattle/Yakima
Tuesday, December 31, 09:30 pm on KYVE 47 – Yakima

And keep your eyes peeled for more interstitials to be released over time… the one that’s in circulation now is an interview with red hot homie Macklemore.

The filming seems utterly simple – which was the goal – but it was a little more complicated to get the look we ended up delivering. Keep your eyes peeled for a behind-the-scenes outline of the unqiue way in which we filmed this with 2 matching cameras, some teleprompter magic, and various other smoke and mirrors. Below are a few of those characters featured in Seattle 100 and Portrait of a City: Michael Hubb, Megan Jasper, John Roderick and Dave Meinert, along with some snaps of the gallery installation from the launch of the project.

chase jarvis seattle 100 portrait of a city

gallery opening - photo thx to buildllc.com

chase jarvis seattle 100 portrait of a city gallery

seattle 100 launch - thx buildllc.com for the photo

chase jarvis seattle 100 matt dillon

chase jarvis seattle 100 director lynn shelton

chase jarvis seattle 100 the blakes

chase jarvis seattle 100 ra scion

chase jarvis seattle 100 weirdo jeff jacobsen

chase jarvis seattle 100 book cover

14 Responses to ANNOUNCING: My Latest TV Documentary Project “Portrait of a City” with PBS

1. Jeffrey Collins November 27, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

WOW Chase! Congrats. Just goes to show you what passion can get you in life.

• Chase November 30, 2013 at 4:43 pm #

…and a bit of work ;)

2. EddieBaba November 27, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

1 Plus One = 100… and as time goes by, a body of very cool Work! that can be seen on your local boob tube.

• Chase November 30, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

thanks eddie. It helps to love one’s city ;)

3. faisal November 28, 2013 at 8:30 am #

I can’t wait to see the real deal.

• Chase November 30, 2013 at 4:45 pm #

as in see it on your TV?

Tune in – dates below.

Other interstitials sprinkled about as well – current one is macklemore.

4. jeff hadlum November 29, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

you have a gift, you really do.
    this, in my HUMBLE opinion, is very unengaging. calling it a documentary is a stretch. with so much self confidence (ok, i AM jealous, i’d like 1/10th of what you have) you’re bordering here on hubris.

but, hey, you did it, so congrats on that.

• Chase November 30, 2013 at 4:40 pm #

hmm. interesting perspective. I didn’t know I could demonstrate hubris in a show where a bunch of wonderful people are talking directly to a camera on a topic they care deeply about without any other inputs or distractions. Not sure how that illustrates myself as overly proud or confident. But thanks for the feedback.

5. Joseph Cote November 29, 2013 at 10:42 pm #

It’s wonderful to see such a wonderful display of talent finally recognized by such a public resource. I’ve been the biggest fan and advocate of the Chase Jarvis brand and style of life for MANY years. I’d love to see an east coast presence! Go extreme and visit the incredible beauty of Portland, Maine. (It’d be nice to see a “From Portland to Portland” blog post!) or at the very least I’d LOVE to see a Boston visit/meet/beer-on-me event for the Chase Jarvis team! Keep up the inspiring work that keeps us all going!

6. Chase November 30, 2013 at 4:41 pm #

thanks joesph! Maine is one of the few states I have never been to. I’m planning to get up there in the next year or so….I hear it’s stunning.

7. Leslie December 1, 2013 at 1:52 am #

What began with your Creative Mornings talk well before midnight Nov 30th, for now ends here at 4:45 a.m. Thank you , simply . Sometimes you find just what you need right when you need it. I love the long form of “Live” , I’ll be back after some inspiring sleep. Thanks again, Leslie

8. Magnolia March 24, 2014 at 6:32 am #

Excellent blog post. I definitely appreciate this website.

Thanks!

9. learning arabic May 6, 2014 at 12:18 pm #

Your style is very unique in comparison to other folks
    I have read stuff from. Many thanks for posting when you have the opportunity,
    Guess I will just bookmark this blog.

10. Designer Sunglasses July 30, 2014 at 3:15 am #

amazing designer sunglasses are the must-have accessories for the summer days. have you owned a pair? if not, you should try a pair.