How Photographers Really Get These Shots [hint: it takes a village]

Just stumbled on this image of yours truly working for an advertising photo down at Smith Rocks, OR a few years back. I don’t do a ton of climbing photography – it’s pretty damn specialized – but when I get to, it reminds me a whole lot of why i like to climb. It really focuses your attention on the task at hand. While the handful of support crew who help make these shoots possible are a real blessing, my biggest appreciation during work like this goes to the athletes. Every safety measure is taken, but they certainly put themselves at risk to get the shot – often needing to make the same move a half dozen times to get it just right. #respect.

My biggest challenge in this case is multi-tasking while in position. I’ve gotta be communicating with the athlete, communicating with the crew, etc, and being my own assistant at the same time as focusing on the shot.

Happy friday – and happy to answer any questions below.

With extra than 4,000 just starting out APIs, i – OS 8 allows developers to extend make to order the user experience with foremost extensibility skin texture and robust frameworks such to the same extent Health – Kit and Home –
Kit. Orlando Bloom Spotted Shirtless as He
Carries Baby Flynn in New Zealand (Pictures). Apple’s retail supplies, and through AT&T, race, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, bonus carriers and exclusive Apple Authorized Resellers.

The types that are available are numerous and you can choose your pick from the ones that range from hand press models to ones that
are electrically operated. There are many different ways to enjoy the wonder of a Disney holiday.
Of course, the traditional winter recipes work well too and
the advantage for me of having a large slow cooker for our small family
is that I can double the quantities and make two meals, one of which I can freeze for another day.

Casimira says:

If your family enjoys camping, you can even extend your visit over a weekend and set up tents along the way.

To take hold of this gentle wisdom and to remember that if I let go and be held
by Mother Nature’s ebb and flow that I too will be brought back to pools of stillness.

The number of expected wedding guests must also be kept in mind including the proportion between relatives and friends.

Pimms is Cap Jaluca’s award winning restaurant and holds its weight in ambiance
and outstanding cuisine amongst the finest in the Caribbean. When choosing furniture,
you’ll be deciding on many different types of chairs to put into your home.
In a new media driven world, people rely on search, their
friends on social networks, and other online media channels to hear about things
happening in the digital world.

Outside cleaners have to do a good job, or they don’t get invited back.
Just like having dolphin velour beach towel which is eye-catching
to one and all due to the uniqueness it brings.

It operated two daily round trip excursions, except on Sundays, on the 65-mile run from the Weirs at 08:
00 and 13:00, calling at Bear Island, Center Harbor,
Wolfeboro, and Alton Bay. 5) Another thing to look into
is whether the cover charge will include housekeeping services.
In a new media driven world, people rely on search, their friends on social networks, and other
online media channels to hear about things happening in the digital world.

They are considering a ban on these compounds due to concerns that the paralysis could become permanent.

Outside cleaners have to do a good job, or they don’t get invited back.
A form of the herb licorice, called deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL), was explored for canker sores
in a small study.

Sang says:

Incredibly educational thank you, I reckon your current followers could want even more well written content of the naturel continue the excellent perform.

Ensure that your resume makes it easy for the readers to identify your capabilities
and feel your enthusiasm to be a part of their workforce.
A good majority move down from the cold up north to our beautiful, white sandy beaches.
Just like having dolphin velour beach towel which is eye-catching to
one and all due to the uniqueness it brings.

oster juicer says:

Ensure that your resume makes it easy for the readers to identify your
capabilities and feel your enthusiasm to be a part of their workforce.
When choosing furniture, you’ll be deciding on many different types of chairs to put into
your home. Of course, the traditional winter recipes
work well too and the advantage for me of having a large slow cooker for our small family is

You’ll be met with an earthquake and woof, then afterward go talk to Pua.
The secondary nutrients include calcium, magnesium, iron, and the like.
We sat near the lake, and enjoyed the beautiful view with about 2
other hikers.

Peter Kneen says:

Hi Chase,

I’ve been really trying hard to become a climbing and adventure sports photographer. I shoot regularly and get good feedback from my blog. I have also shot photos for a kayaking companies new range. My problem is I have no idea how to get companies to let me shoot for them. I have a contact with a small outdoor clothing brand and I have offered to do a shoot on location for them for their 2015 line for no charge. This would boost my portfolio and give them photos which they otherwise have no budget for.

I could really do with a little advice.

By the way love the climbing photos. I had no idea you shot climbers.

Pete

Jo Ann Coker says:

Hi Chase,
Who is the climber in this shot?

Thanks for your great thoughts. And photos, that is :) I’m just about to listen to your appearance at Tim Ferriss Show podcast, so fingers crossed for an additional bundle of universal knowledge.

My question is: how in your eyes is marketing an art (photos, music, books) different from marketing, well, “non-fiction” (courses, n/f books, services). I always like to find these new lenses that allow me to look at old things with new perspective.

Big fan from Poland!,
AT

Joe Martin says:

I want to see the shot you got from this. Thanks for sharing your crazy life.

steven kotler says:

That looks like Heinous Cling (at Smith)… remember what route you were shooting?

abhilash says:

I am speechless at the beauty and your effort!!!!

Gavin says:

How has your focus on photography changed since licensing your first shot to REI? Are you still shooting campaigns or focusing mainly on your business ventures? (CL/Mkt/etc.) If you are still working on campaigns, where can we see your newest work?

High effort cause to the best result. It’s worthy to do something that we interested.

that seems like it could be very confusing and hard to keep track of everything going on but if the shots come out then its always worth it.

Chase says:

plenty of details to keep track of beyond your f stop and shutter speed. …. like staying alive!

Will Foster says:

Word.

Great shot and great action. People should know more often how much of effort it takes to get a great photo :)

Chase says:

personally i’d rather that the general public think it’s easy. for us brethren – it’s good to share the hardships and challenges!

Simon Carter says:

Good on you for giving it a go Chase, respect for that. This is how I do it: http://youtu.be/ZNgdN48RnRY

Chase says:

nice – thats not all that diff from what we did here to get me into position. but with more sophistication on your part (deserved). for @dylan above – this work from simon is what i mean by specialized.. great stuff simon thanks for sharing.

Simon Carter says:

Cheers Chase. Catch you on a cliff.

Dylan Alvarez says:

Hey Chase, love the shot. I was wondering what you mean when you say that climbing photography is specialized. I’m starting to pick up a couple climbing photography jobs so I’m hoping for a heads up!

Chase says:

in order to get the super dramatic shots you’ll need to have a really specialized set of equip / crew etc and take a lot of time… triangulating yourself off the rock and getting into very unique angles is the name of the game…oh yeah, plus have a world class athlete on the other end of your lens.

Clayton says:

Nice to see some climbing shots on here! For anybody who wants to see more climbing, here’s a short film I just had shown at a screening of the Vancouver Mountain Film Festival: https://vimeo.com/76744215

I’ll just stick with portraits and wedding photography, thanks. Not really into the whole “hanging off a canyon” shindig

Bram says:

Chase you do any climbing throughout the year and are you any good at it? :)

Chase says:

Not much rock climbing anymore. I climbed 5.10c/d for a while but my shoulders have been rebuilt so I had to back off climbing and bouldering.

i still mountain climb a bit. summited kilimanjaro in africa in june 19,300 feet

Dave says:

Who’d win in an arm wrestling contest; you or Corey?

Chase says:

i’ve got cory by about 75lbs and i’m a lot meaner. but he is surely a better climber. my shoulders are shot

faisal says:

OMG, that was an insane shot.

Chase, I am not sure who is the more awesome athlete, the climber or you :-)

Marcelle says:

When you started your photography career, had you dreamed of these type of days or did they just develop as your skills and networks developed?

Love the shot featured and loved your social media post to get me here, well done.

Marcelle

Chase says:

i have been dreaming of these days since I was 17 years old.

sunk way more than the requisite 10,000 hours in to be here. and had amazing support from this community the whole way along. #gratitude.

dan says:

Awesome action shot and wisdom. Thanks Chase!

Chase, talk about dropping lenses. Take a look at this Nikkor 600 F/4 that took a plunge. http://www.naturalexposures.com/?s=phenomenal+season

Oh man, how did you feel when you dropped one of your lenses?

Anonymous says:

My guess is, ” glad I have a backup”.

Chase says:

true dat!

and we ordered another for next day delivery via fed ex so we were double covered.

Brett Lantz says:

Hey Chase,

Great stuff I do climbing photography professionally and was curious on where I could see your images from the climbing shoot? Also what is more important to you on a climbing shot: the climbing vs. themselves? Or the climber vs. the sublime?

Chase says:

the was an REI advert a few years ago. i don’t know the whereabouts o the tearsheets right now. but turned out well.

there is no rule on which is better, but sublime is always nice ;)

wilfredo says:

as always amazing stuff dude…the single and only time I’ve been to your studio – in 2010 and I will never forget the inspiration I got from you and Z….life’s been good since – freelance work picking up and I have a new son……but some times….actually many times, the inspiration can take you so far….since my kids birth I’ve been on a creative hiatus….I know I want to get back..I’m anxious to get back……what do you suggest I do to get back into my creative zone and pull myself out of Hiatus. Thanks Chase again for all you do for everyone. – cheers

Chase says:

my recommendation is to make something every day. even if it’s just an iphone image of your kid or your feet or your face. make something intentionally every day. make creativity a habit – and it will change you back “off” your hiatus.

creativity begets creativity.

Bimal nair says:

Oh my God! How did you make it that simple Chase?!! Will live by that rule henceforth! Thanks a ton for everything you do Chase!

Graham Martin says:

I must agree with Chase on this. I have the same problem, emigrating to a new continent (from Dublin, Ireland, to Sao Paulo, Brazil), marriage, fatherhood, separation, divorce, leaving friends and family and culture back home, financial challenges, theft / violence / assault, working 6 days a week morning noon and night… all in the space of two and a half years. It’s overwhelming and leaves me little time, money or resources (my Nikon D700 was stolen in one such assault) to work on photography.
But, even something as simple as snapping with the iPhone while commuting too and from work can be enough to spark ideas or if you like to mix media in projects, fill in gaps between shots made on film or with DSLR by shooting with the iPhone to bridge gaps in a photo essay or narrative. Recently a well respected Magnum / Nat Geo photographer ‘liked’ a shot of mine on Instagram and gained me many new followers. So there is a lot to be said for the power of a camera phone snap to inspire you and get you out of a rut.
Also having a new baby can give you chances to brush up on skills that may be a little boring to practice, but useful. Photographing your baby is challenging (mine is 2 & a half years old now and won’t keep still for a second), so practicing sharp fast focusing of the eyes during motion and nailing a flash light look for portraits that you are happy with are things you can do while babysitting. Enjoy!