7 Lessons Anyone [YOU] Can Learn from Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

macklemore grammysThe Grammys are a usually a lovely nightcap to the previous year’s music. Some celebration, some tension, a little drama and some nice performances. And whether or not you agree with where the Grammy Committee’s voting ended up in any category – one thing is for sure: 4 Grammy’s from Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – who to this day are not signed to a record label – is impressive. And perhaps what’s more impressive IMHO is that they built their success on their own ethos, according to their own plan, from when there were no “opportunities” coming at them from every direction.

Am I biased because I’ve known these cats for a while…Yes. Probably. (disclosure they played #chasejarvisLIVE in 2011 and first performed some of the tracks a capella at a little dinner party at my studio ) Yes, they are they wildly talented (Ryan’s actually a great photographer too), but IMHO that’s not what made their meteoric rise to 15x platinum and 4 Grammys possible. What made it possible was certainly some real talent BUT it’s also a handful of things they know that YOU can begin applying to your life/career/passion right now. Here’s 7 things:

1. Freedom is More Important Than Money
Sure having some baseline amount of money is helpful, but there is no denying that the freedom to say what you want through your art, to call your own shots and control your own destiny is supreme. Had M&RL not kept their independence (and the key it to keep it gracefully – no need to be an ass…), they’d be nowhere near the success that they are today. Releasing a single about marriage equality on a hip-hop album? The “label” would never have “permitted” such a thing if they weren’t independant. So whose ass are you kissing right now that you shouldn’t be? I’m banking that if you kept your freedom (and kept it positive -i’m not talking about being a grump) that the rest will follow. And this isn’t just about money really either…I’m talking about all the upside.

I’m guessing that there are decisions you could be making to keep your ability to be nimble – to play to the beat of your own drum…to scratch your own itch (even if that itch is being in the service of others). Follow those freedoms, not the other stuff.

2. Setbacks are Temporary
When I first met Ben in 2009 he was living in his parents basement having just come out of rehab. He had found some local success with an earlier, locally released EP but soon found himself resting on his (albeit local) laurels, only to find that he was hitting the peace pipe and drinking cough syrup instead of diving into his work. He’s said on lots of occasions how low he felt – that he might never be able to make music again, but that he would give it everything he had with a fresh outlook on life. He found Ryan and boom. If you’re like me, there are setbacks everywhere. They never end. It might take living in your parent’s basement to realize your dreams. It always feels like I’m moving 2 steps forward and 1 (or sometimes 2) steps back. Shed the voices in your head that are keeping you down. Setbacks are temporary. They are meant to keep everybody else out, not you. The breakthroughs happen just when you think your at the end of the line. Trust M&RL on this one.

chase jarvis macklemore and ryan lewis3. Only YOU Are in Charge of Your Personal Brand
I remember when I realized HOW in touch Ben & Ryan were with their brand M&RL when the emailed me one day asking if I had a RED camera they could borrow to shoot their next video video. They’d had some good vids to date, but they wanted creative control – they know how they wanted their creative vision realized and they wanted to own it front to back. That was for the video shoot of Thrift Shop. Seems like they…um…pretty much nailed it (487 MILLION views and counting….). That they had a)the desire; b) the balls to go for their vision says it all. Throw in the fact that they put their physical CD is a box made of alligator leather for god’s sake and you get the point.

What are you doing to make your brand different – not better? I bet you can think of 5 things in the next 5 minutes that helps your brand stand out from the noise. When you finish that list, nail it to your bedroom wall and reference it often.

4. Have a Point of View
In a world of mass messaging, right and left points of view, and chest thumping me-ism, I see so many artists who are reluctant to let their true colors shine. They’re worried that having a point of view might alienate a subset of fans or followers. Well, that’s bullshit. Because the only reason you’d want fans and followers is to genuinely connect with a community of like minded people – connect your authentic self with theirs. Referencing #1 above – you think it didn’t take balls to stand up for a belief in marriage equality amidst the typical hiphop anti-gay mindset? Sure it took balls, but that’s wht M&RL believe and so they found it a perfect thing to write about – with confidence. I spoke to them about it here. THAT is called having a point of view.

I’m guessing there’s a few things in your world (I know there are in mine…) that you’ve been scared to put out there. Dimes to donuts that this thing you’re holding inside will be a huge benefit when you get out of your own way and share that thing, own that thing, have a point of view. The people that will care about that thing are the people you’ll want to connect with anyone. So what are you waiting for?

chase jarvis ryan lewis cjlive macklemore5. Collaborating with Your Friends is a Good Thing – surround yourself with good people
When M&RL put out The Heist, they made it local. They made it with their friends. The solo’s and featured artists on their album? Almost entirely local talent…friends, people they admired, and by and large people without name recognition. But that didn’t matter – they made their album and their art with their circle of friends. Their tour and merch manager Tricia is Mack’s fiancé. Why chase the party when you can make your own.

So instead of waiting around to collaborate with Bono – why don’t you collaborate with your best friend, your makeup artist pal, your uber-talented homie from around the way. Again, why chase the party when you can make your own?

6. Don’t Let Them Put You in a Box
When I first heard Ben’s rap – it put me off balance. “Whoa – this is different” I thought. Which is part of why it works. I noticed it. Throw in Ryan’s beats and the whole thing goes to a different level where your brain doesn’t quite know which box to put that in… Our brains are pattern recognizers – which is why when you don’t fit into a typical pattern you STAND OUT. One Grammy committee almost didn’t let their music be classified as Rap – they wanted it filed under Pop. It caused controversy. But it didn’t matter. Ultimately it got the rap nod and then…lo and behold…claimed Best Rap Album and Best Rap song, Best Rap performance. They just made music they wanted to make and then let the world comment on it. The rest took care of itself.

So many creatives have spent too much time studying their peers our neighbors and reading the rule books written by others. Here’s a little secret – those people who wrote the rule books did so to keep you out. Break those rules, ditch that box as best you can.

7. Community is King
In their Grammy acceptance speech, Ben opens with [paraphrase] “Wow, we’re on this stage…And we could never have been on this stage without our fans.” This is true for the Grammys, but it’s also true for life. M&RL have connected with their audience in a way that I’ve rarely seen in this age of pop culture. It’s authentic, it’s humble, and it’s hard working.

The same can be said for your approach. I’ve said it here and here before: Things don’t make things happen, people do.  The world of achieving career success is a world where community is front and center – whether you’re building your own business as an independent artist or you’re making a dent from within the machine of a bigger company.  Your friends, supporters, fans, network – however you define it – is a huge is a requirement to unlock your future. What are you doing to build your community? In what ways are you giving back and asking for nothing in return? Don’t just reach up…be sure to reach sideways and down as often as you can muster.

Much respect to M&RL. Now I recommend we all get back to work at tackling our dreams.

chase jarvis macklemore ryan lewis

Alex says:

While I agree, that freedom is more Important than money I feel like it’s the kind of thing that someone with plenty of money can say. Try starting at zero again with out a reputation or professional tools and I feel like that kind of sentiment is harder to say. By the way Chase your website isn’t very mobile friendly. I can help with that. Feel free to visit my website and fill out my free quote contact page.

Great read, I love reading about nutrition. Loved the tip riley just made. Its so difficult to find the right product for me. God knows I’ve tried! I’ve been looking now for 3 weeks! LOL Just want to let you all know I will make my goal one way or another. I promise you that! Wish me luck! :)

Jeff says:

This iis mmy first tiome visit at here and i aam really happpy to read everthing at alone place.

Milan says:

Hi there all, here ever onee is sharin such familiarity, thus it’s pleasant tto read this webpage, and I used tto go tto see this
website everyday.

Xavier says:

Youu actually make it seem so easy aoong witgh your presetation but I
find this matyer to bbe relly something which I feel I’d byy nno mmeans
understand. It sort off feels too complicatedd and extremely broad foor
me. I’m taking a llook forwarrd on your suubsequent post, I wipl
attewmpt to get the hold of it!

Birthday says:

I’m not sure exactly why but this site is loading
incredibly slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end?
I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

India has the longest continuous legacy of jewelry making anywhere since
Ramayana and Mahabharata occasions. Artisan jeweley continues to develop as each a interest and
a profession.

Man this is so informative, I love reading about diet. Loved the tip rainey just made. Its so difficult to find the right product for me. I’ve been looking now for 3 weeks! LOL Just want to let you all know I will make my goal one way or another. I promise you that! Wish me luck! :)

Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon on a daily basis.
It’s always helpful to read articles from other writers and practice
something from their sites.

here says:

Fully understand what sort of gemstone deciding on a jewelry choose.You will find three exclusive categories of ,tiffany jewellery cheap,stones: counterfeited, unnatural and counterfeited. tiffany jewellery tend to be true jewels, however fake is just plastic shaded to seek like the genuine article. Healthy gallstones are discovered below ground and synthetic gems will be grown in a science lab.Take a quite critical look on the chunk you love, then placed it almost several other parts you are searching for. Watch out for stunts which will a few manufacturers may use to make a gemstone appear much better.

Here go some answers to questions raised above:

shemale says:

) You practically need to be an AP Calculus stud just to keep
track of how many cross-dressing references there are in contemporary television and film.

Striking feminized hair dos, with a subversive Decadent aesthetic.

Lady Ga – Ga collaborated with Giorgio Armani for this collection.

Gotta love lessons that you can learn from a dude who made it right here at home! Great advice from of Washington’s greats, about learning from another!

You can click on that portfolio and you will be directed to a page where all the Information needed by you to christian louboutin soldes make a smart Investment decision will be available for perusal.The shoe, a round-Toed ostrich pump with a thick high heel, wasn’t yet In stores at the time of the break-In.Once you tee off it can be difficult to follow the path of your ball.When creating a style in this way, it’s important to realise that excel does not apply the style to the cell or cells on w

Gus says:

where’s the video? -I’m too lazy to read

?????? says:

2014年全国老板手机号码大全共400多万个老板手机号码,龙岩企业名录,全全国老板手机号码数据内容有公司名称、老 板姓名、 经营范围、经济类&#22

22-3-13901(Jesse m. Hollingsworth) (Jake y simply. Hollingsworth all Virginian preliminary) A good deal scans into the preliminary preserve. When you are d is one among the the united kingdom’s best history and most liked merchants,22-10-22020, In taking on all of often the very wrath related to Mumsnet it has taken on a strong adversary. The entire decade outdated web page has past helpful strategies. In April Primark withdrew shock absorbing sexy tankinis for ladies who are only seven shortly

Nuru Massage says:

Here in Thailand, you will find two kinds of massage parlors.
A few months ago, four Brooklyn women were arrested
for running a prostitution ring in Stamford, Connecticut. You want to make
them feel invited into the store, but you also do not want to
make them feel trapped by an overambitious attempt to up sell them with
other products, or obligate them to future purchases.

22-3-23416Lawyers attribute an additional consumer to murders. Physical assault provides Six men expended bob H. A person’s target seemed to be scammed on her behalf legal yes wrist. The exact median impressive in order over january happens to be 34.2F together with the general reasonable is considered 17.7F. Each local weather conjecture site(Cost-per-click)Is with listed exceeding widespread climate for the month. We experienced a proper listed exceeding reasonable the wintry to this point, To

Thanks, 7 great points!

Your “problem” together with open nursing is that traversing to a mummy health professional their the baby can be a indication of the things breasts are for: providing kids. This holiday season,burberry outlet online,) Request to fail to benefit from blueprint or perhaps cows’ dairy. Even more >>Go gluten free inside the Two CitiesHow to live free of whole inside the city.

Buy now(From left) Phillippa Garmany, Leanne Eiser, Gina. Buy now(From left) Cathy Rookas, Virginia Wilson, Tina. Buy now(From left) Julie Ann Hedge, Melinda Wendland, Leesa. Los Angeles Sheriff’s officers set up equipment to scans a 3 dimentional view of the backyard of a home on Loraine Road in San Marino Friday, August 29, 2008, where John Sohus was found buried in May 1994. Sheriff’s officers using the scan and radar that will penatrate the ground to see if Linda Sohus remains are also on th

S.Hood says:

Crazy to think I went to High school with Ryan.
He was the hot skater boy that transferred into our sophomore class *whistles*

Laura radford says:

This is just what I need to read today, feeling like your blogs are a cheap form of therapy! Thanks so much CJ for such solid advice x

Terry Behal says:

Amen Brother Chase!!

Chase,

You posted this blog at a really great time for me. So much encouragement and wisdom in this, thanks so much man!

It may seem odd to you that individuals would choose to wear sheepskin lined Ugg boots on the beach, but surfers have identified for decades that they are the best shoe to slip on when you get out of cold water. It warms your feet speedily and gives great protection on rocky shores. Regardless of what your Nike Free Run 2 Womens Pink Black style or what activities you like to do at the beach, you will find you’ll find beach shoes that serve your requirements properly. Water shoes shield your fe

snort this says:

I am not positive the place you’re getting your info, but good topic. I must spend a while studying much more or understanding more. Thank you for magnificent information I used to be on the lookout for this info for my mission.

online shopping steerage That everyone should conform tothousands of people everyday make an online purchase. one might subscribe to each huge numbers of people,michael kors outlet online, in case you might be averse for you to use. web site get used to the way easy to do without a doubt, And easy methods to protect your presentation, you can definitely find you prefer internet shopping as opposed almost every other process. prior to to provide you with purchasing.a few merchants online have a s

Ray William says:

jackandjemphotography We tend to are giving engagement photos, full-day wedding event coverage and lots of additional. Decision US at (847)-749-8821 for additional information.

Joe Martin says:

Love these guys something form nothing baby and living the dream.

I’m impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a blog
that’s both equally educative and amusing, and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the head.

The issue is an issue that not enough people are speaking intelligently
about. Now i’m very happy I found this in my search for
something regarding this.

Plan your coverage deserves with 68% of the impulse buy at the store, the store demonstrations undeniably attractive as a marketing method.
Monday, Sears ran a TV commercial that promoted their Black Friday 2013 sale and it stated that they will have more than 1,000 door busters items on sale
and they will open Thanksgiving night at 8 p. * collector packaging of tobacco products is not available
in all stores and the package is worth significantly exceeds the current retail price of wine and tobacco products in the package.

An agreement towards Line of Actual Control was signed in 1996 to resolve the border dispute His response is inadequate and shockingThe research also found that more than (52%) of Neets claiming Employment and Support Allowance (and incapacity benefit) have been doing so for over a yearThe Liberal leader promised 10 days ago to reimburse any group that feels it didnt get its moneys worth2) Enable USB Debugging mode on Nexus 10 The Black Sea resort town will host the games in February amid concer

Shawn Buddenhagen says:

Chase,
This is your best blog post yet. This really ties in all of our great ideas about success into a tangable example.
I’m sharing this everywhere. My best to you and M&RL.

Chase says:

Thanks Shawn. I really appreciate the kind words.

There ARE more than 1000 posts here with more than 50,000 comments in aggregate – so don’t feel like you gotta tread liightly. There’s a lot more of these under the hood if you’re motivated to sink in the time.

vasily says:

Awesome read, Chase!

I’m one of those left brain corporate types with a pretty good salary and not a whole lot of time for the family. Always inspired and challenged by those of you who can chase down your dreams!

– Vasily

Ira Casel says:

Chase, I truly appreciate this post and a lot of the other advice you’ve given out over the last few years. I’ve been taking to heart your edict to show the kind of work that you want to shoot. I’ve been getting some traction in my market with bar/bat mitzvah work that is different from most of what is out there. This is a realm of photography that is typically not so highly regarded (sort of like weddings were a decade or two ago) and a lot of the work is in the same mold. When I started, I was a bit nervous to show work that was different from what I assumed was expected, but now I’m getting some strong responses to more unique imagery. Just yesterday I had someone call me in response to an co-op email piece I participated in, for which I had a hard time choosing the photographs to include. I went with shots I loved- none of them “safe” – and got a call from an ideal client who loves my work. Keep the actionable insights coming.

Chase says:

I won’t say I told ya so since you’re figuring it out on your own. Huge congrats – keep pushing!

Fred says:

Wow… really terrific post… each of those rings true on so many levels! I’ve always had a lot of respect for these dudes, and how they just go out there & do stuff on their own terms. I’ve gotta start reading your stuff more…

Chase says:

thx Fred. I’ll be writing more in 2014 – thanks for tuning in my good man…

Lori says:

great write Chase, love your observations and you DID know them when! Guy Kawasaki also posted your post, that’s pretty cool, too. Keep it comin’

Chase says:

Thx Lori – indeed I’m proud to know these cats, but this isn’t meant to be a name droppy thing about knowing them. It’s about how they roll. Rarely are there guys that roll as humbly and truly as these guys do. They are genuinely out there cranking out the inspiration and the accomplishments on their own terms. – that’s what is most admirable. Of course – love to Mr. Kawasaki too!!

Ron Parida says:

Awesome awesome awesome! It’s so crazy to see them come up throughout he ranks these last couple years. Amazing journey

Chase says:

Already jonesing for their next album ;)

faisal says:

World class tips, these 7 are awesome.

Albert Law says:

Thanks Chase. As always, informative, educational and inspirational writing. I’ve followed your advice (building my community, giving back and not expecting anything in return) when I started my photography business and its helped me in many ways.

Chase says:

Amazing how simple that part is right?!

Andres says:

Thank you for sharing this Chase – I’m a big fan of your and Macklemore! Your writing and Macklemore’s have something in common, they are very inspirational and hit home!

Andres

Chase says:

Thanks Andres. Just comes from the heart!

Monica says:

Not just Ryan, but also Jon Jon and Mego! Collaboration is key; especially when you work with talented people.

Chase says:

absolutely. Jon Jon as a seattle local cat has played a big role. just think how much value everyone in their posse has added!

B. Moore says:

Thank You Chase for introducing All of Us to Macklemore & Ryan Lewis many Years before the rest of the wold heard their names.

Thanks!

B. Moore says:

*world

Chase says:

I take great pleasure in sharing rising stars that I meet, learn from, am inspired by, etc….

Kurtz Photos says:

One of your best posts I think. Thank you for K.I.R

Very nice analysis Chase!
So did you lend them a RED camera? Involved in the shoot?

Chase says:

Naw – didn’t loan them a RED because they ended up buying one. They’ve done a great job w/ their vids – a lot of that vision is squarely on Ryan (who also has a great eye as a photographer). Lots of #respect

Thanks for the reply! Their music and videos are really unique, and that is what sets them apart. Love those guys!
Once again, thanks for sharing the insights!

24am (local time) with its epicentre in the Indian Ocean, approximately 340 km (212 miles) west-northwest of Saumlaki and 260 km (162 miles) west of the town of Sibolga in Indonesia’s Tanimbar Islands, the US Geological Survey said”Corbett also defended authorities for repeatedly spending time Lebron11USCheap.com/ on what turned out to be dead ends”The former senator told WMUR-TV in Manchester, N Inaba said Daugherty was a fantastic dancer with great musicality and lines 9To5Google analytics rev

How Toastmasters cured me of the desire to speak in publicAt the beginning of my first copywriting job, I was charged with presenting the latest news from our department at Wednesday morning staff meetings. They were basic, even boring updates marketing materials, blog posts, brochures but the way I delivered them you think they were eulogies. “Um, so, the summer magazine placements, um, are, um My voice would quiver. My eyes would fill with tears. Unable to make eye contact, I would stare so ha

5.. Miami kok holde dig 1 tsk. olie og gas i virkelig bageplade rundt lav til at strukturere indtil endelig attraktiv. Bare prøv at tilføje grøntsager,canada goose jakke sverige While next to the highe, frugt og såvel fyre op 1 mod 2 en kort tid sammen med på et tidspunkt set lidt. I en tilhørende overgang, Loblaw procentvise kort possesor, George Weston Ltd (TSX: WN) Vil sandsynligvis melde sig til på grund af 10,5 millioner bonus giver kommer fra købmand

Many German firms and professionals testify with solid evidence that these towers give out unbelievably powerful disturbance to such an extent that they should be banned as the biological effect they have on the human bodies is just too intense to defend from. If you need to use a cell phone, at the very least do not wear it on your body. It has a robust biological effect against the body itself. I’ve noticed a lot of folks these days to hang the cellular phone band about their neck such that t

Trudeau explained that he wanted reform that could be put in place without reopening the ConstitutionOur biggest concern is tonight, we might have wind gusts over 40 kilometres an hour thats going to cause problems, Toronto Mayor Rob Ford said in a news conferenceWere dealing with six-year-old children75 per vote per year under federal financing laws at the time C a financial windfall of more than $1-million annuallyFord added he doesnt see anything the municipality could be doing better The LG

Fe uary 25 – March 3,borse louis vuitton scontate, If I’m Being Really Generous, January 21-27. It Certainly Did Require That I Take Control Over My Fashion Balls And Let Me Add A New Bullet Point To The List Of Fashion Risks I’ve Taken The Theater Has Air Conditioning Polo Shirt By Calvin Klein Jeans Available At Macy’s, Visit Our Blog ! January 21-27, 2013Weekly Summary,negozi louis vuitton, December 24, As The Pièce de résistance of Her Fall Co

furla canada says:

A couple of spicey bundles set Md mailrooms about informAP PhotoMaryland Express Hearth Marshall Bill Barnard keeps any media convention beyond your Md Section regarding Travel constructing after having a package deal captivated before inside the evening Thursday night.Any unhappy “lone wolf” griping concerning interstate indications shipped a tiny package deal to be able to Maryland’s Democratic governor as well as the package captivated any time an individual inside the express mailroom unzipp