DigitalRev TV uses a GoPro to Fake my Hasselblad Masters Photo

Each time I have the good fortune to work with DigitalRev TV and my friend Kai Man Wong something memorable happens.

For example, you might recall the time that Kai and DigitalRev TV dragged me around Hong Kong with a Lego Camera on one of their infamous CheapCamera Challenges. The highlights included surprise runway models, aggravated kung fu fighters and eating pig’s anus on the street. Most recently Kai and his hilarious crew parodied my Facebook profile photo for Fake A Big Shot. The resemblance was, um, striking?

I decided it was time to turn the tables.

I showed up in Hong Kong to give Kai and the DigitalRev crew a taste of their own medicine. A CheapCamera Challenge of my design: To re-create a photo I shot with the Hasselblad H3D. This was a $25,000 piece of equipment in 2007 when I shot the photo. I gave him 8 hours … and a GoPro Hero3PLUS ($399) to get it done.

Here’s how the the final product compares to my original. What do you think? Check out the video above to see how he did it.

Chasejarvis_DigitalRevTV

Thanks to Kai and the whole DigitalRev TV crew for working on short notice and being such great sports. Subscribe to their channel here.

36 Responses to DigitalRev TV uses a GoPro to Fake my Hasselblad Masters Photo

1. Josh January 4, 2014 at 11:10 pm #

I think he did pretty well, to be honest. Like Chase was saying, he had $25,000+ of gear and lighting to pull of the shot, whereas Kai had a GoPro 3 – still a good piece of kit for what it is, but nothing compared to a Hasselblad! But it’s like you do when you are pushing photography using whatever you have, Chase – you use an iPhone and pull out some awesome shots! I shoot using a D3200 and standard kit lenses (18-55 f/3.5-5.6 and 55-200 f/3.5-5.6) because it is the only gear I can afford to shoot with, and I like to think that I can pull some nice photos out of it =) thanks for the blog and helping everyone else out with their photography as much as you do Chase!!

2. Daniel Kappelle January 5, 2014 at 3:13 am #

The video was great, I just love your collabs! I also think the outcome is very impressive given the constraints. Very inspiring to see how he makes progress during those hours of trial and error. Love it, thanks to y’all!
    Cheers, Daniel

3. faisal January 5, 2014 at 6:08 am #

GoPro is evolving so well.

4. Jay January 5, 2014 at 10:11 am #

I think he did pretty well. I really enjoyed watching him work through the problems, and watching you coach him, Chase.

And, for the record, your accent was brilliant. :-)

5. Rafael Marquez January 5, 2014 at 1:58 pm #

I think the motto for this shoot is simply “do what you can with what you’ve got.” I think Kai’s shot is really good, despite all of the post-processing that must have happened to erase the pool background and replace it with the background that ended up on it.

6. Steve January 5, 2014 at 4:44 pm #

Hats off to Jerard. Couldn’t have been easy or warm to spend that much time in and out of the pool.

7. Shariq January 6, 2014 at 6:32 am #

That was fun! Nice to turn the tables on Kai MW!

Ok now do we get to pixelpeep the shot from the GoPro? :)

8. Michae Anthony Murphy January 6, 2014 at 4:46 pm #

Didn’t think he would get that background but he came pretty damn close.

9. bimal nair January 7, 2014 at 8:05 am #

I loved every bit of this. Awesome!!! :)

10. Jason January 10, 2014 at 1:13 pm #

The best camera is the one that’s with you right? For what it’s worth, he actually got real close considering the different technology he used.

11. Fenne January 11, 2014 at 2:18 am #

cool result, he did very well!

12. Air Jordan 3 Bred January 23, 2014 at 10:45 pm #

” Casey said. ”Maybe some day when I’m as old as Moses.” Donovan said. was second with 67. landed a pair of right hand shots that left Groves sagging and seemingly helpless when Foster jumped in. 36, Jonny Flynn (sixth overall in 2009), The 36-player ballot will include Armando Benitez. They’ve won three of those games by eight and another by seven – close enough to give the defense practice at some version of the prevent and the offense work on the run-heavy, violence. including new seats an

13. Mark February 11, 2014 at 12:39 pm #

Who knew that getting the shot just right was so hard? I just assumed you guys got it the first time. I guess that I need to try and try again to get that shot just right. Thanks for the great insight into the world of pro photography!

14. Jonny March 6, 2014 at 11:44 am #

Awesome post, great synergy between you both, and nice work by Kai!

15. Bryan Lathrop March 6, 2014 at 11:47 am #

you rock Chase. Love your sense of humor. And, as always. THANK YOU for all you do to keep us in the know.
    Bryan

16. Chris Paul Shoes March 11, 2014 at 9:01 pm #

and twice they have been rebuffedBattery Drain or Unable to RechargeThis is one of the frequently complained issues on Nexus 5 – the battery drain or mediocre battery lifeIn company news,LeBron 11 Cheap, after racking in a rise in advertising5 million units of motorcycles He watched the show from the living room of his home in Scotch Plains, NEd Miliband, the opposition Labour party leader, has said he would force energy firms to freeze their prices for 20 months from 2015 if he is electedWe wou

17. Ari Landworth June 4, 2014 at 12:15 am #

Did you rip on Kai for complaining so much? I feel like he did a pretty good job considering the circumstances.

18. rug carpet cleaner California August 18, 2014 at 9:32 pm #

Hello, yeah this piece of writing is really nice and I have learned lot of things from it on the topic of blogging.

thanks.

19. steam cleaning California October 31, 2014 at 5:39 pm #

I’ve been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or
    blog posts in this kind of space . Exploring in Yahoo
    I finally stumbled upon this website. Reading this information So i’m glad to express
    that I have an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I came
    upon just what I needed. I so much certainly will make certain to do not omit this site
    and give it a look regularly.

20. best bottle warmer January 6, 2015 at 1:24 am #

Nice blog here! Also your site rather a lot up fast!

What host are you using? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink
    on your host? I want my web site loaded up as
    quickly as yours lol

21. War Thunder Cheats January 9, 2015 at 7:15 pm #

Hi there, its pleasant post regarding media print, wwe all know media iis a impressive source off facts.

22. Emelia January 12, 2015 at 6:46 am #

My family members always say that I am wasting my time here
    at net, except I know I am getting know-how daily by reading such nice content.

23. Cctv Perth January 14, 2015 at 12:48 am #

To learn how to install a CCTV camera for a wired system, you will need to know some things:
    . Patrolling of passageways and offices can be done remotely from the safety measures office of a building with video surveillance systems,
    thus reducing your requirement for additional manpower.

Closed circuit cameras also make excellent traffic monitors.

24. cameras for security at home January 14, 2015 at 5:10 am #

This takes into consideration making the dome design the most inoffensive looking
    design. Delhi is known for its night life as well as blamed for the same.
    Clearly state the kind of behavior expected, the actions that would taken in case of misbehavior,
    what not to bring to school, etc.

25. Daniel January 15, 2015 at 1:49 am #

Great video. Gro pro is getting there with the big boys.
    Digital rev TV is quite showing how important Its once behind the camera. Of course they are limitation chase make it looks its simple. Thanks for the share.

26. mobilio interior January 18, 2015 at 6:00 am #

My relatives always say that I am killing my time here at net, however I know I am getting know-how
    all the time by reading thes pleasant articles.

27. What i don’t realize is in fact how you’re no longer really much
    more neatly-favored than you might be right now. You are very intelligent.
    You know therefore significantly with regards
    to this topic, made me personally believe it from numerous numerous angles.
    Its like women and men are not interested until it’s something
    to do with Woman gaga! Your individual stuffs great. At all times
    maintain it up!

28. กำจัดปลวก February 8, 2015 at 8:34 am #

Awesome blog you have here but I was wondering if you
    knew of any message boards that cover the same topics talked about here?
    I’d really like to be a part of community where I can get responses from
    other experienced people that share the same interest. If
    you have any recommendations, please let me know.
    Thanks a lot!

29. brevile juicer February 13, 2015 at 2:47 pm #

They are considering a ban on these compounds due to concerns that the paralysis could become permanent.
    Outside cleaners have to do a good job, or they don’t
    get invited back. In a new media driven world, people rely on search, their
    friends on social networks, and other online media channels to
    hear about things happening in the digital world.

30. juicelady juicer February 15, 2015 at 12:33 pm #

The types that are available are numerous and you can choose your pick from the ones that range from hand press models to ones
    that are electrically operated. Apart from sunbathing on the glorious sandy
    beach, this little village offers the tourist much more.
    In a new media driven world, people rely on search, their friends on social networks, and other online media channels to hear about things happening in the digital world.

31. Shanel February 17, 2015 at 10:28 am #

As a result of staying away from foods packed with carbs, the body will start to burn off fat more rapidly and more effectively, at
    least this is the idea. Triphala Choorna benefits us through
    its detoxifying powers. Each person has a different nature resulting in different weight loss result.

32. delonghi juicer February 18, 2015 at 5:39 pm #

Ensure that your resume makes it easy for the readers to identify your capabilities and feel your enthusiasm to be a part of their workforce.
    The temple shines with infinite reflections from hundreds of
    crystallized glass pieces. As its name implies, the boat itself, created by an act of Congress in 1916, is the country’s only full-fledged floating post office with the power to
    cancel mail.

33. brevelle juicer February 20, 2015 at 9:04 am #

This procedure involves the burning of the top layer of skin to promote
    new collagen production. When choosing furniture,
    you’ll be deciding on many different types of chairs
    to put into your home. Of course, the traditional winter recipes work well too and the advantage for me
    of having a large slow cooker for our small family is that I can double the quantities and
    make two meals, one of which I can freeze for another
    day.

34. top juicer February 24, 2015 at 2:05 pm #

If your family enjoys camping, you can even extend your visit over a weekend and set up tents along the way.
    5) Another thing to look into is whether the cover charge will include housekeeping
    services. In a new media driven world, people rely on search, their friends
    on social networks, and other online media channels to hear about things
    happening in the digital world.

35. Florian February 24, 2015 at 3:10 pm #

To take hold of this gentle wisdom and to remember that if I let go and be held by Mother Nature’s ebb and flow
    that I too will be brought back to pools of stillness.
    Here, the Caves hotel multiplies your joy with amazing views.

36. breville je98xl juice fountain plus February 25, 2015 at 4:18 pm #

This procedure involves the burning of the top layer of skin to promote new collagen production. A good majority move down from the cold up north to our beautiful, white sandy beaches.

If you own a centrifugal juicer and are annoyed by the foaming
    and the clogging switch to a masticating juicer.