DigitalRev TV uses a GoPro to Fake my Hasselblad Masters Photo

Each time I have the good fortune to work with DigitalRev TV and my friend Kai Man Wong something memorable happens.

For example, you might recall the time that Kai and DigitalRev TV dragged me around Hong Kong with a Lego Camera on one of their infamous CheapCamera Challenges. The highlights included surprise runway models, aggravated kung fu fighters and eating pig’s anus on the street. Most recently Kai and his hilarious crew parodied my Facebook profile photo for Fake A Big Shot. The resemblance was, um, striking?

I decided it was time to turn the tables.

I showed up in Hong Kong to give Kai and the DigitalRev crew a taste of their own medicine. A CheapCamera Challenge of my design: To re-create a photo I shot with the Hasselblad H3D. This was a $25,000 piece of equipment in 2007 when I shot the photo. I gave him 8 hours … and a GoPro Hero3PLUS ($399) to get it done.

Here’s how the the final product compares to my original. What do you think? Check out the video above to see how he did it.

Chasejarvis_DigitalRevTV

Thanks to Kai and the whole DigitalRev TV crew for working on short notice and being such great sports. Subscribe to their channel here.

18 Responses to DigitalRev TV uses a GoPro to Fake my Hasselblad Masters Photo

1. Josh January 4, 2014 at 11:10 pm #

I think he did pretty well, to be honest. Like Chase was saying, he had $25,000+ of gear and lighting to pull of the shot, whereas Kai had a GoPro 3 – still a good piece of kit for what it is, but nothing compared to a Hasselblad! But it’s like you do when you are pushing photography using whatever you have, Chase – you use an iPhone and pull out some awesome shots! I shoot using a D3200 and standard kit lenses (18-55 f/3.5-5.6 and 55-200 f/3.5-5.6) because it is the only gear I can afford to shoot with, and I like to think that I can pull some nice photos out of it =) thanks for the blog and helping everyone else out with their photography as much as you do Chase!!

2. Daniel Kappelle January 5, 2014 at 3:13 am #

The video was great, I just love your collabs! I also think the outcome is very impressive given the constraints. Very inspiring to see how he makes progress during those hours of trial and error. Love it, thanks to y’all!
    Cheers, Daniel

3. faisal January 5, 2014 at 6:08 am #

GoPro is evolving so well.

4. Jay January 5, 2014 at 10:11 am #

I think he did pretty well. I really enjoyed watching him work through the problems, and watching you coach him, Chase.

And, for the record, your accent was brilliant. :-)

5. Rafael Marquez January 5, 2014 at 1:58 pm #

I think the motto for this shoot is simply “do what you can with what you’ve got.” I think Kai’s shot is really good, despite all of the post-processing that must have happened to erase the pool background and replace it with the background that ended up on it.

6. Steve January 5, 2014 at 4:44 pm #

Hats off to Jerard. Couldn’t have been easy or warm to spend that much time in and out of the pool.

7. Shariq January 6, 2014 at 6:32 am #

That was fun! Nice to turn the tables on Kai MW!

Ok now do we get to pixelpeep the shot from the GoPro? :)

8. Michae Anthony Murphy January 6, 2014 at 4:46 pm #

Didn’t think he would get that background but he came pretty damn close.

9. bimal nair January 7, 2014 at 8:05 am #

I loved every bit of this. Awesome!!! :)

10. Jason January 10, 2014 at 1:13 pm #

The best camera is the one that’s with you right? For what it’s worth, he actually got real close considering the different technology he used.

11. Fenne January 11, 2014 at 2:18 am #

cool result, he did very well!

12. Air Jordan 3 Bred January 23, 2014 at 10:45 pm #

” Casey said. ”Maybe some day when I’m as old as Moses.” Donovan said. was second with 67. landed a pair of right hand shots that left Groves sagging and seemingly helpless when Foster jumped in. 36, Jonny Flynn (sixth overall in 2009), The 36-player ballot will include Armando Benitez. They’ve won three of those games by eight and another by seven – close enough to give the defense practice at some version of the prevent and the offense work on the run-heavy, violence. including new seats an

13. Mark February 11, 2014 at 12:39 pm #

Who knew that getting the shot just right was so hard? I just assumed you guys got it the first time. I guess that I need to try and try again to get that shot just right. Thanks for the great insight into the world of pro photography!

14. Jonny March 6, 2014 at 11:44 am #

Awesome post, great synergy between you both, and nice work by Kai!

15. Bryan Lathrop March 6, 2014 at 11:47 am #

you rock Chase. Love your sense of humor. And, as always. THANK YOU for all you do to keep us in the know.
    Bryan

16. Chris Paul Shoes March 11, 2014 at 9:01 pm #

and twice they have been rebuffedBattery Drain or Unable to RechargeThis is one of the frequently complained issues on Nexus 5 – the battery drain or mediocre battery lifeIn company news,LeBron 11 Cheap, after racking in a rise in advertising5 million units of motorcycles He watched the show from the living room of his home in Scotch Plains, NEd Miliband, the opposition Labour party leader, has said he would force energy firms to freeze their prices for 20 months from 2015 if he is electedWe wou

17. Ari Landworth June 4, 2014 at 12:15 am #

Did you rip on Kai for complaining so much? I feel like he did a pretty good job considering the circumstances.

18. rug carpet cleaner California August 18, 2014 at 9:32 pm #

Hello, yeah this piece of writing is really nice and I have learned lot of things from it on the topic of blogging.

thanks.