It’s fair to say that I’m obsessed with the human spirit. It is amazing, bizarre and lovely at the same time and it can accomplish unthinkable things in the face of the most harrowing odds, in the face of challenge, in the face of “never”. Which is why I believe in the following quote and the following story that relates to this quote. You may have seen this story ‘blow up’ on social a few months ago, but amidst reflection (and upon this great story and the short film about it), my interest in sharing this story compounded. So, as such, here ’tis….with some extra insights to follow that’ll help you win.

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

— Calvin Coolidge

This story opens with a man. A bizarre but fascinating man named Greg Packer — who had set out on an inexplicable journey to become the most quoted man in the news (I know, weird goal, but a seemingly impossible one as well)… but here’s the kicker: he pulled it off. Packer was so successful in his campaign in fact that the Associated Press eventually issued a memo to all its reporters to stop interviewing the guy.

Enter filmmaker friend Andrew David Watson who, when he discovered the Greg Packer story, had the brilliant idea for a perfectly ironic, smart, funny story to tell this Greg Packer’s story from within the media that he hacked. Essentially, tell Greg’s story in the news.

So Andrew pitched his story idea to a bunch of publications. No one bit. Not a one.

This is where – in a very meta way – the human spirit kicks in. Andrew shot the story anyway. And this is where the TAKEAWAY LESSON FOR YOU begins

Andrew cold emailed a rough cut to The New Yorker, they snatched it up right away. Turns out Andrew’s instincts were pretty spot on.

A month after his beautiful little piece published, The Most Quoted Man In News had over 100k views on The New Yorker and Andrew’s Vimeo page had almost half a million.

I never tire of these powerful reminders to pursue personal work, to tackle passion projects, even when the people who write the checks shut the door. In the past, I’ve told you to get used to hearing “NO” and to use it as a motivator. Now I’m telling you HOW. In Andrew’s case, he knew he had a compelling story to capture and he knew he had the tools to do the story justice.

Mark Schwartz did it with his 8×10 Polaroid, and now his work is used by Billabong, Levi’s and Surfrider. Joey L does it, and he’s now turning work away. Tim Ferriss was shot down by 27 publishing houses before the 28th said yes to his multi-million copy selling 4-Hour series of books. Jason Shelowitz (AKA Jay Shells) put up street art that he knew was going to get stolen, but something in his gut/heart/left brain said “do it anyway.”

The common thread in all of these tales of big time success is… PERSISTENCE. Someone told all of these people NO and they forged right ahead and made the thing anyway, and that thing became a successful stand-out piece of their careers.

To give you more insight, I reached out to Andrew with a few questions about this project and how he bounces back from rejection.

First, let’s hear just a little background on your Greg Packer project:

I first met Greg Packer back in 2008. I read a short article about Greg and decided to track him down. It happened to be during the World Series and Greg was in Philadelphia for the Phillies victory parade. I met up with Greg, filmed some footage of him at the parade and got to know him a little better. I thought Greg was a fascinating character but I just wasn’t sure how to make a film about him. I archived the material, kept the story on my ever evolving list of project ideas, and moved on with life.

Fast forward almost 5 years and I was digging through my note book and got thinking about Greg. My visual style and story telling skills had developed a lot in those 5 years and I all of a sudden could picture exactly how I would make the film. I called Greg and asked if he could come down to a studio in Brooklyn for an interview and he (of course!) was super into it.

The best part is the footage I shot in 2008 when I first met Greg, made its way into the final edit as archival material.

Let’s jump right into rejection. You knew you had a good idea. You pitched it, no one bit. How did you handle that rejection? More importantly, how did you handle it with integrity and turn it into resolve?

At this point in my career I’m used to rejection, it’s part of the process. Sometimes it comes down to the creative, but other times it comes down to elements outside of your control such as timing, similar content already under development, etc. I have pitched ideas in the past that I thought were amazing, but once I went through the pitch process, I realized they were not as rock solid as I thought. Other times, such as this project, even after being rejected I still had faith in the story and the passion to pursue it, which told me it was worth doing.

Can you remember the first time you turned a “no” into a project’s first step towards completion? Tell us about it.

A few years ago Etsy came to me and asked if I had any short film ideas that encompassed what their brand was about (handmade, economy of scale, etc). I pitched an idea about a very opinionated motorcycle mechanic I knew in Philadelphia. The producer at Etsy politely turned it down, saying they didn’t really see it working. However, it was a short film idea I always wanted to do and the more I thought about it, the more I just wanted to shoot it anyway, so I did. When I had an edit ready, I showed Etsy and they loved it. They decided to take it with next to no edit changes. The piece went on to get over 300k views, a Vimeo staff pick, multiple festival screenings and was one of Etsy most viewed pieces for a while.

When you resolved to make the The Most Quoted Man anyway, did you make it with the intention of re-pitching it? In other words, was the style, editing, etc. all chosen because you still saw this thing getting published in, say, the New Yorker?

Honestly, no, I decided to make the piece exactly how I saw it. I learned from past experiences that following my gut is usually better than trying to cater to a specific style thats not my own. “Most Quoted Man” is slightly different from other New Yorker pieces (with a lot more graphics and punchy music), however when they decided to take it, they asked for no editorial changes.

Rejection helps us refine our pitching process. How has it helped you refine yours? Can you tell us about some of your pitching success stories and why they were success?

I gravitated towards cameras at a young age because I find images the easiest way to communicate. I was never a strong writer, and I’m still not, so I find it ironic that now I often have to write out my ideas before shooting them. I have refined my pitches by making them as visual as possible, using a lot of reference photos and my past work to explain my vision. Just like anything, the more you do it the better you get at it, but I still have and will always be refining my pitch process.

The lessons we learn as artists can (if we let them) inform many other aspects of our lives. How does this lesson — not taking “no” for an answer — get applied to other aspects of your life (preferably in a positive way!)

Learning to not take “no” for an answer is essentially creative problem solving, which I have always applied to my life. Whether it’s where to live, how to move forward in my career, where to go to university, etc… there is no correct path to take. Feeling comfortable and confident to make your own decisions even if they go against conventional thinking, is just as important as an artist as it is in your everyday life.

You’re sitting in a room with a bunch of talented but frustrated creatives who are struggling to keep rejection from getting the better of them. What is the one piece of advice you would give them?

Rejection is part of the process. It will make you more critical of your own work (in a good way) and will test your faith in your ideas. At the end of the day, rejection is often just one person’s (or a small group’s) creative choice at that given moment. Sometimes it works for you and other times it doesn’t, but the best way to ensure you continue to get the opportunity (even if it means more rejection) is to continue producing the work you are passionate about.

###
Follow Andrew David Watson on these channels:

website
twitter
instagram
vimeo

42 Responses to How to Turn ‘No’ Into ‘Yes’ + Get What You Want [An Essential Strategy That Will Get YOU Hired]

1. faisal July 4, 2014 at 6:41 am #

A NO can rob away all your confidence.

2. Naina July 5, 2014 at 12:11 pm #

What a delightful story! Especially loved it when Greg laughs about the AP Memo. Incredible.

What I would like to know from Andrew is this : I have a very narrow understanding of “pitching”. I’ve never done it. I usually barely have time to respond to all inbound enquiries let alone think about pitching. But as my work grows, I am feeling the need to dedicate more time to personal projects or ideas that I would love to execute.

Andrew, for both the Etsy project as well as this particular film on Greg, when you pitched this to the client AFTER shooting the film and showing them an edit, did they still pay you for the gig?

( I realize this might sound like a crazy question but kindly bear with me – my work is currently focused on Indian clients and the feedback I’ve usually received is that if I’m going to be pitching a finished set of images to a prospect, they will, in all probability expect those for free / minimal compensation. )

Does the above process of pitching affect your pricing in any way Andrew?

Thank you in advance for answering.

3. Oscar July 7, 2014 at 5:20 am #

You are an inspiration to new photographers.I’m just starting in photography here is my website http://www.oscarphoto.squarespace.com

4. doom July 20, 2014 at 11:07 am #

Receive your health thank you

5. Nike Air Max July 21, 2014 at 1:31 am #

For example, introducing a stretching program eventually is not enough. Show the employees that you take safety and their health seriously. With the opening from the Chennai Trade Centre at Nandambakkam, a suburb of Chennai, in January 2001, the organisers of those events are a happy lot. So much so, some of the participants in these events point out that because of the distance in the city, the exhibitions attract only serious visitors.. The place or identifies the name of the web site of a web

6. louis vuitton handbags July 24, 2014 at 1:01 pm #

Zoe Saldana chanel purses handbags Gets to Persona around the Pair of NBC’s Rosemary’s ChildZoe Saldana provides each purpose being anxious.Which is due to the fact Saldana celebrities inside NBC’s approaching Rosemary’s Child miniseries since Rosemary Woodhouse, half of your younger wedded several which transfer to a flat inside Rome with a dim earlier. Any expectant Rosemary shortly starts off to be able to think in which the girl neighborhood friends participate in any satanic cult which incl

7. Best Air Max July 30, 2014 at 3:04 am #

Air Max Shoes are amazing and you’re deserved of owning any pair of them. Cheapest price offered at shoesbag.net. Top quality guaranteed.

8. montre guess femme 2013 July 31, 2014 at 6:48 pm #

3. retail net inflow of 4. synthetic diamond,21%, mineral products (except state-controlled outside), transit, Jiang motor Main business: licensing business: electric motors,111, processing, 5 days. higher than the t25 market average. CITIC Guoan montre guess collection Main business: information network infrastructure business in cable television, * ST Xinmin revenue of 5.

9. Nike Free Run August 1, 2014 at 5:38 pm #

Um das Herpes Simplex Virus diagnostizieren, müssen Sie Ihren Arzt für die Prüfung zu besuchen. Viele Male eine Sichtkontrolle ist alles, was nötig ist, um Herpes genitalis zu diagnostizieren. Wenn es keine Pause aus zum Zeitpunkt des Besuches Ihr Arzt kann eine Kulturprobe aus dem infizierten Bereich der Haut nehmen und testen Sie es in einem Labor für den HSV. Portugal bleibt in den Wirren einer tiefen Finanzkrise. Trotz der Rettungsaktion 78bn, die das Land im Jahr 20

10. Cheap Buy Air Max 2014 Online August 20, 2014 at 4:23 am #

microphone gets to be a cell phone taken from their father praoclaiming that she makes it your house the cruise, caused by a storm may perhaps be reducing in on the area my friend on. robert pushes up to Marcie and after that is the reason exactly who status. Marcie all the same truly wants to proceed with cherished,Cheap Air Max Flight, as also does paul. the reason provide printable rewards certs for the kids?really do not think to success a youngster for a fine than to bring about an earnings

11. cheap 2014 adidas soccer shoes September 3, 2014 at 5:14 am #

marc jacobs et louis vuitton. Dimanche (16h00), pour la 3e journée de H Cup,cheap 2014 adidas soccer shoes, il sera l’un des principaux dangers pour la défense du Leinster. En dehors, je préfère être une personne normale. Tito VilanovaAprès quatre années dans l’ombre de Guardiola, Tito, devenu célèbre pour avoir pris le doigt de Mourinho dans l’œil l’an dernier, est devenu entraîneur du Barça. etit à petit, le goût pour le

12. cheap 2014 adidas soccer shoes September 7, 2014 at 4:56 pm #

En 8e de finale de la Coupe de l’UEFA,cheap 2014 adidas soccer shoes, le SECB affronte le grand Torino, invaincu depuis deux saisons au Stadio Communale. J’ai travaillé uniquement pour ça. boutiques louis vuitton. Je répète toujours les mêmes choses et je ne trouve pas la solution. y Wardrobe :My Wardrobe est une boutique en ligne avec de nombreuses marques. Ce serait manquer de respect à mon club et aux supporters. Passé au bord de la défaite, Nole s’en e

13. Hollister Belgique September 8, 2014 at 5:36 pm #

Lucas. Black était un membre de la division Hollister Maastricht Ouest de SUO tous de l’équipe de recrue en 2011 .. Néanmoins, la performance du jeu ne continue des tendances malheureuses de Sims passé de jeux. La performance est un peu lent lorsque vous faites défiler à travers la Hollister Anvers ville ou suivez votre sim comme il ou elle voyage. Nous suivons Sir William Osler aphorisme meilleure préparation pour demain est de faire le travail d’aujourd’hui s

14. cheap 2014 adidas soccer shoes September 12, 2014 at 10:33 pm #

Un ami qui jouait à Chelsea du temps de Mourinho m’a raconté que,cheap 2014 adidas soccer shoes, lors d’une tournée de pré-saison aux États-Unis, l’équipe devait faire une séance photo pour son sponsor, Samsung. L’Argentine, avec sa variété de paysages de pampas en canyons, sera encore l’un des points forts de la course, forçant le talent et l’habileté des pilotes. Les dirigeants du club de la capitale songeraient à l’

15. Nike Air Max 2015 Homme September 14, 2014 at 11:08 pm #

Son talent, sa beaut� et son �l�gance ont en outre �t� soulign�s dans les �ditions am�ricaine, britannique, grecque et australienne de Marie Claire.. i Ivan Basso,Nike Air Max Pas Cher Thea, ancien vainqueur du Giro, est toujours présent dans l’équipe à 35 ans, Cannondale mise clairement sur trois coureurs de moins de 25 ans : Moreno Moser (vainqueur du Tour de Pologne) et Elia Viviani (7 victoires) ont déjà prouv&#

16. Jordan 5 Temporal Rift September 23, 2014 at 6:43 pm #

Monaco, The team scored 36 points in the quarter,Air Jordan 4 Oreo Green,” Blanc said.”He did a great job of rattling the defense in the second half at home.The Bills were held in check by the Chargers Sevilla outclassed Cordoba to remain undefeated. with Ikechuwku Uche hitting the post three minutes later and testing Alvarez with a header that the goalie did well to push over his bar.Each week throughout the season the Playoff Forecast will use ESPN’s Football Power Index and human logic (i. Me

17. sac desigual soldes September 25, 2014 at 12:11 am #

Chacun individuel. La proclamation desigual outlet vers vice encore immoralité aurait pu vérifier en raison de greffier adjoint avec calme, depuis la grande cour expérimentés assermenté. Le président m’a dit qu’il a été considéré comme bonjour là que le nouvel homme venant de la grande cour doit être donc nécessaire de faire beaucoup de ces étapes,Sacs Femme Desigual, comme il le cas, chaque fois que vous êtes auparavant,

18. t25 September 26, 2014 at 8:07 am #

Badminton shoes what brand is good? piyo Badminton shoe soles Dichotomanthes bottom mostly by t25 use. t25 workout piyo yoga often have a saying: 1, expensive and slow flying speed, 2. uniform thickness and quality of ropes, – try to t25 workout uk play because many types, 2, hit a spike. a piyo reviews miracle occurred, Damn, I practice a good while mother in accordance with the method.

19. http://www.duo-concertante.com/charges.html September 26, 2014 at 3:19 pm #

Hotel and catering management system of pay and benefitsCredit: want to know the wages and benefits expenses. Other payables social security (pension,s-n-solutions.com/crisis.html, welfare listen wages can adjust the basic wage, welfare department staff salaries. Developed by the company decided to no longer notice. Staff salary, and the company does not have the staff salary labor contract, without pay required to have the employing department, human resources department to fill the pay changes

20. Barbour Herren Wachsjacke October 4, 2014 at 6:02 pm #

Es bringt ein Lächeln auf mein Gesicht zu denken, dass ich war, für mehrere Jahre, das jüngste Mitglied der internationalen Fan-Club. Ich war und bleibe ein unmodern Seele. Disclaimer: Die Informationen in Fragen, Antworten und anderen Beiträgen auf dieser Website (‘Beiträge’) kommt von einzelnen Benutzern, nicht Justanswer; Justanswer ist nicht für Beiträge verantwortlich. Beiträge dienen der allgemeinen Information, sind nicht dazu gedacht, für eine

21. abercrombie and fitch sverige October 9, 2014 at 12:35 am #

’s vacillation in between illness episode worries as well as solve to create its house arrived to razor-sharp concentrate Sunday early morning because ALL OF US wellness government bodies, inside a eager make an effort to conserve the actual life associated with 2 ALL OF US help employees troubled through Ebola, travelled Doctor. Kent Brantly in to Dobbins Atmosphere Pressure Bottom, simply northern associated with. Atlanta’s, along with the help of the actual Atlanta-based Facilitie

22. Nike Air Force 1 Dam Sverige October 14, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

Vissa förskolebarn ändå få en hel del tröst av att dra runt en skrovlig baby filt eller kramade en wellworn nallebjörn. Dessa objekt kan erbjuda en orolig barn bestående trygghet, speciellt vid övergångstider, till exempel när du släpper honom på förskolan eller stoppa honom för natten. “Lovies” kan också göra det lättare för vissa förskolebarn att göra potentiellt läskiga saker som möts

23. Occhiali Da Vista Oakley October 29, 2014 at 6:10 pm #

Sto iniziando una nuova attività. Come il vecchio detto GNU va, “[T] hink di libero come in libertà di parola non come in birra gratis”.. E ‘molto meglio per rendersi conto che ci potrebbero essere problemi in seguito e magari sia tenere a bada o decidere di non usarlo. Than sostituito. Quando si acquista on-line, troverete la stessa merce Occhiali Oakley e anche di più. In “Impostazioni dei cookie:”, cliccare su “Consenti dati locali da impostare (scelta consigliata)”. Come risul

24. Abercrombie ?????? November 11, 2014 at 4:59 pm #

Εκτός από το ότι δεν υπάρχει καμία Abercrombie Greece εγγύηση ότι αυτό θα είναι σταθερό. Ξεκίνησε με μια αφήγηση: “Dwigh

25. Hollister Mikina November 13, 2014 at 5:17 pm #

To je naozaj skvelá správa. Bohužiaľ, nemyslím si, že televízory Sony Bravia majú vstavaný WiFi s nimi sa pripojiť k bezdrôtovej sieti. Niet sa čoho báť aj keď, stále sa môžete Ray Ban Wayfarer dostať je pripojený bezdrôtovo cez NETGEAR Universal WiFi Internet adaptér. Ďalší súťažiaci uviedol v jednom zo svojich liniek, “ja som chudobný, takže mus&

26. Anonymous November 20, 2014 at 4:54 pm #

Vous arrivez à faire une décision d’un assortiment varié de filles que vous pourriez rencontrer avec pour aussi brève d’un temps Polo Ralph Lauren Genève d’une heure pour pratiquement n’importe quel morceau de temps que vous voulez.. L’équipe Alertes fret se sont engagés à fournir des solutions de distribution à ceux des marchandises de se déplacer ainsi que ceux des véhicules à remplir, donc quel que Polo Ralph Lauren Suisse soit votre

27. In the same survey, the American Association of University Professors revealed that associate professors are no longer on probation and have earned limited tenure status $77,033 a year teaching at doctorate granting public schools and $92,148 at similar private colleges. They earned $68,034 a year teaching master level course work at public universities and $71,931 annually at private schools. canada goose jacket outlet Associate professors made $65,431 teaching undergraduates at public schools

28. http://www.bcgsoft.com/top.htm December 7, 2014 at 11:38 pm #

Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before removing the wet bedding from the washing machine. The Samsung BD 5700 measures approximately 1.5 inches tall, 16.9 inches across and 8.3 inches from front to back.. In case their irresponsibility kicks in and they ditch you without notice. The term insurance that somebody might buy is like renting a house. Please accept my apologies. The UCC acknowledges the mailbox rule, but relaxes the common law’s treatment by requiring that acceptance need on

29. Ray Ban Wayfarer December 15, 2014 at 5:01 pm #

Pantene estreou recentemente a sua campanha publicitária mais recente, mas não é o que temos vindo a esperar da indústria de haircare. Você pode fazê-lo sozinho, se você é tão inclinado ou a necessidade de manter os custos baixos, você pode ter um amigo para ajudar, ou você pode contratar um desenvolvedor web para fazer isso por você, a um custo modesto, se você usar software de gerenciamento de conteúdo disponível, em ve

30. Ray Ban Clubmaster December 17, 2014 at 5:00 pm #

Muito ruim. Tentando eliminar gradualmente software MS em um sistema operacional XP, embora não inteiramente com sucesso. Em uma base de receita, Macs cresceram 21% ano sobre ano. No começo do dia, em uma pré-visualização do relatório, Munster tinha previsto que os dados da NPD iria mostrar 35% de 40% ano sobre ano, o crescimento da unidade para o mês ..Estratégia 10. Aproveite tendências. Pelo que li, há alguns anos, 34 generais de advogado cont

31. ??????? December 18, 2014 at 10:50 pm #

エンジニアが能力を発揮しやすい環境が整い、働きやすいアメリカ。日本の優れた若きエンジニアに、アメリカの現場を肌で感じてもらい&#12

32. chanel ??? ???? August 19, 2014 at 8:53 am #

in case I was in a vehicle as a little boy, my dad given factor excitedly at the warning with that being said “manufacture” and as well exclaim,be on the lookout Jonny! assembly. connect with one another was the item interest in for just about any struggle of love that a majority of we’ve always heard suffered onto an life. for 1998,シャネル ネット ブランド, Jonathan should be supporting people, individuals and staff direct your a

33. 11223333 August 27, 2014 at 8:10 pm #

But media is people: normal people (mostly). So I needed to figure out what exactly made a good horror movie. Foi dada particular nfase criao de 11223333 sistemas de sade e ao aumento da resilincia das comunidades. On 1 January 1901, Nigeria became a British protectorate, part of the British Empire, the foremost world power at the time. The trailers are constructed with pressure treated wood and were built specifically for the Clinton Foundation project in Logne. Our patients know that we are co

34. Cheap Oakley Uk Store September 21, 2014 at 5:52 pm #

You can’t legislate the ocean, and also you can’t legislate storms.” Our climate change blogger, Dr. Take a look when you can. Did you hear or read the accounts of the accident in North Seattle yesterday? The pedestrians where slammed high into the air and came crashing down at various locations. Moreover, the band comes across not just as thunder merchants (though it’s still best appreciated at apartmentrattling volume) but because dedicated and skilled craftsmen able to surprising nuance.. I h

35. Nike LeBron 11 Elite September 22, 2014 at 7:43 pm #

1-ranked LSU at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Ga, ET)The South Florida Gold went 15-3, including nine wins by more than 50 points and a 136-point victory against the Heat, in its inaugural season last yearmWhile the students travel, they acquaint themselves with everyday life in the European Union, but they can also gain insight into the steps necessary in their own country to secure and accelerate their countries European Union accession path, the true value of freedom of movement, and greater a

36. cartier love bracelet September 23, 2014 at 2:49 am #

The taboo spectrum: special collection taboo of imperial dynasties. Adams,cartier love bracelet, CHERRY is showing the next evolutionary stage MX mechanical keyboard has been hundreds of millions of times proof switch. Because of the special design of the whole system,cartier love bracelet, starting times per hour to determine the coefficient fB suitable make selection coefficients in the fB> table; coefficient of fBn,cartier love ring replica,The performance characteristics of R series helical

37. Montblanc Penne October 17, 2014 at 6:09 pm #

Malta. Con i biglietti venduti alla velocità della luce, si consiglia di prenotare buoni posti a sedere, soprattutto quando si sta assumendo lungo figli. Ma la chiave è di impacchettare in modo efficace. Nella vostra attività di marketing è spesso allo stesso modo. La sicurezza è più completo negli aeroporti irlandesi. Profiler ti chiedono domande come controllare i bagagli. Se si hanno sintomi che possono essere simili ad altre condizioni. Prezzo Il prezzo del batt

38. http://www.artoc.com/canadagooseshop.html December 13, 2014 at 1:36 am #

Depression plagues millions of people, many of whom don’t know that they have a treatable problem and don’t know who to talk to. Depression sufferers feel sad or despondent, and many feel alone or ashamed about their condition. While depression often wreaks havoc on a person’s social life, career and personal relationships, it also leaves lasting physical affects in the form of headaches, stomachaches, backaches, fatigue and muscle soreness. The steps that one takes often depend on the type of d

1. Pics.io Photography Digest #7 – Interesting materials of July start - July 16, 2014

[...] See VideosThe Lost Generation: Kevin Gilbert at TEDxBeaconStreet (YouTube) #TEDHow to turn ‘No’ into ‘Yes’ + get what you want  #ChaseJarvis7 DIY photography tips using household objects (YouTube) #hacks #mustseeVideo shot at [...]

2. Click Captures #1 | The Photographist - July 27, 2014

[...] You can read the article and see the featured video here. [...]

3. Not taking “NO” as an answer | aesthetic journal - September 25, 2014