In short, I’m looking for a high quality, high hustle digital/content guru to be my right hand man / woman supporting my content efforts. It’s true – I’m deep into lining up a new, fresh chapter of content aiming to add value to this community – those already with us and those yet to join our army. There are simply not enough hours in the day for me to create as much content as I’d like to be creating with one slice of a few people’s time (the way I have it set up now…). Between being CEO of CreativeLive and living the life of a working creative, I need someone to focus hardcore on helping me make behind- and in-front-of-the-scenes content that adds value and tells stories … photos, writing, video, podcasts – you name it.
WHAT THIS IS.
But before we get ahead of ourselves, this isn’t a ‘get your feet wet’ job, or something you’d do on the weekends. This is a job and, honestly, a lifestyle. I hustle, and so must you. My work and play are highly intertwined, and it will be very helpful if yours is too… You are the rare mix of creative AND highly attentive to detail. You love beautiful things – and you also love a bit of data. You will play a critical role in helping me add value and authentically connect with a million+ person community. You found this posting because you’re already a part of this community – that’s a huge head start. You love creativity, photography, and technology. You don’t just want to work 9-5 M-F. I’m a reasonable boss (you will have a life!), but an unreasonable lover of doing cool stuff that has impact when the iron is hot…so I need someone who is available at off hours too and thrives on that. You’ll get unfair access to people, places, and experiences. Put bluntly, I need a aspiring pro who has done much of this before and is fully capable of running with it from early on. It’s immersion in the creative world, the content world, the tech world, the startup world…combined. It’s content and community management, it’s story telling, making, and growing. You already know a lot, but we will learn more together. You might dream in gifs.
WHAT THIS IS NOT.
This is NOT a photo assisting job. It’s not even close to that – in fact this is not a photo industry job. It’s a creative industry job for sure, but it’s not about photography. It’s not an internship. It’s not a learn to be a photographer, or director, or anything close — you must already be an writer, editor, creator, social media savvy human. You will not be a fake voice for me. You will not pretend to be me. This is not a personal assistant job. You are not schlepping anything. You are a respected teammate, a pro, a good human (see above) who contributes to making the Chase Jarvis + CreativeLive messages/content better than it could be without you – with the larger mission in clear view. Again, this is not weighted toward photography. This is weighted toward community management (see above).
Now if you’re still reading and I haven’t freaked you out…but instead have inspired you to consider a career change, life change or new path…I’d like to hear from you. [Or have a friend who you think we be perfect? Please share this in your social feeds / let them know. I will give you a high five and a pizza if you recommend someone I hire…]
NON-EXHAUSTIVE BULLET POINTS FOR THIS JOB:
– Co-create and manage my editorial and social calendars – this includes working closely with the community team at CreativeLive
– Be a primary force in producing, editing and sourcing great content to engage the community
– Monitor and help me engage with the community in authentic, playful, sometimes serious ways
– Edit and manage a new chasejarvis.com
– Analyze outputs and translate anecdotal or qualitative data into recommendations and plans for growth
– Be with me at live events and be able to capture what’s happening on the ground
– Sit in on new product briefings with me and play with the coolest and newest photography, video, drone, tech equipment
– Hang out with me and smart, sometimes crazy, sometimes famous, sometimes not, but always talented people all over the globe. You must be able to be your normal self in these situations
– You’ll be an employee of CreativeLive, you’ll get to be a part of a fast growing 120 person startup with studios in Seattle and San Francisco
– Based on our employment laws, you’ll need to be a citizen of the USA or have a green card already (sorry I know that’s tough for many of you)
MUST HAVES (these are non-negotiable):
– You must have 2-5 years “working” in digital. If you don’t have this experience, please don’t apply. If you’re wondering if you qualify, you probably don’t (just being honest here I hope there’s value in that…)
– You must have taste. A sharp eye for design, photography, etc. You can curate.
– You must know the ins and outs about optimizing for most digital/social platforms – or at least have opinions
– You must be analytical. The most creative people I know have an analytical curiosity as well.
– You must be organized. There will be a lot to do. You have experience prioritizing.
– You can proficiently write as well as shoot/capture + edit basic photography, video, and audio
– You can write well.
– You can communicate well.
– You are solid when there are elements of ambiguity.
– You are a self starter. I love people who think of things before I do. People who can run on their own are awesome
– You are a positive person (there is no room for negative nancies, aggro or jerky people – not even if you’re a genius).
– You are results driven. I don’t care much about output (“I did 50 blog posts!”) – I care about results (“community engagement is up 100% and we’re hitting our goals”)
– You live or are willing to live in either Seattle or San Francisco. Some travel is certain, but you won’t be on the road nearly as much as I am.
NICE TO HAVES (but not required)
– You may have built your own community online
– You may have advanced creative (visual) skills
– You have experience wrangling busy people and getting them to help you. People want to help you win.
– You can translate my late night voice mails, rants, bullet point notes and hallway conversations into compelling content.
Now. If you’re excited about this prospect – I want to hear from you. Please apply at this here link via CreativeLive’s application channel. You will hear back from us if we think it’s a good fit.
And thank you so much dear friends for reading this rant. I’m excited at the prospect of a new teammate joining the cause in the fight for high quality content that helps people lead more creative and fulfilled lives. Cheers to that.
That application link once again is right here…. Apply to work with Chase + CreativeLive here.
Lastly, we’re all in this together. Even if you’re not this person – if you’d be so kind as to share this post, I would be grateful. Hiring this person will help me create more things that – I hope – will add value to your journey.