chasejarvis RAW: Flying High In Telluride [BTS Video on REI Commercial]

Last week when I posted the broadcast commercial for REI that I recently directed, I promised a behind-the-scenes vid. So here ’tis — the focus here on the epic aerial shots we nailed using a remote-operated RC helicopter flying an onboard camera, curtesy of our friends at FreeFly Cinema. Hope you dig it.

Also–since a lot of y’all have been asking via social channels–I figured I’d give a second-by-second, shot-by-shot breakdown of the entire :30 sec spot… on how we got each clip so you can see all the different mechanisms and techniques that went into the production. I’ll let your imagination run about how we actually pulled off some of this stuff up at 12,000 feet at single digit temperatures, and feel free to ask the how/why we did what we did questions below.

Shot by shot breakdown:
:00-:01 Racked focus onto talent as they approach chairlift dismount
:01-:02 Skier operated steadicam shot
:02-:03 Jib/crane tracking shot
:03-:04 Handheld close up of talent operating ski binding, snow level
:04-:07 Combo of handheld & steadicam shots of talent beginning hike
:07-:08 Overhead aerial with RC chopper (**see video)
:08-:09 Handheld close ups on talent
:09-:11 Combo of longer shots, locked off on tripods
:11-:14 Combo of handheld & steadicam shots of talent socializing
:14-:15 Locked off wide shot, masked sky movement sped up in post
:15-:16 Steadicam shot w lens flare of talent preparing to descend
:16-:17 Jib/crane shot w lens flare of talent preparing to descend
:17-:18 Close up, talent operating snowboard binding
:18-:19 Close up, talent dropping skis, prep to descend (voiceover starts)
:19-:20 Combo handheld & steadicam & closeups of talent prep to descend
:20-:21 Handheld zoom in as talent pushes off to descend
:21-:24 Hero overhead aerial shot with RC chopper (**see video), speed ramp to show talent covering distance, heading into sunset
:24-:30 Motion graphics closing bumper with voiceover
:30 Out

Here’s the spot again below if you want to play it a few times and follow along with the shot-by-shot breakdown. Hit me up with questions – will try to get back at ya.

Big thanks again to everybody who worked on the shoot. Everybody was super-pro, including the talent. (One of the many reasons its awesome to have a very authentic client like REI that uses real, qualified talent…) Hope you dig the BTS chasejarvis RAW heli-video. Music for the RAW is by Pete International Airport (here on iTunes). Music for the spot is from We Are Augustines (avail here on iTunes). Big ups to both acts!

49 Responses to chasejarvis RAW: Flying High In Telluride [BTS Video on REI Commercial]

1. Christian Gibson December 21, 2011 at 9:28 am #

Awesome stuff, always a good day when a new Chase Jarvis video comes out! Have a great Christmas and New Year :)

2. Philipp December 21, 2011 at 9:29 am #

Cool toy :P Produces some really nice pictures :D

3. Taylor Perkey December 21, 2011 at 9:31 am #

That’s super legit! I wonder how much one of those things cost!

4. Alvin Toro December 21, 2011 at 9:38 am #

Mom, I just found what I want for Christmas!

5. TwoThumbsFresh December 21, 2011 at 11:46 am #

I have a question; Chase, how is it that you and your team can consistently blow my mind with all this incredible knowledge sharing! Love it! hahaha.

Also…how close to the original shot list is the final breakdown listed above? Did you set out a shot priority first to determine how long to spend getting each shot – or were you at the full mercy of the conditions and just decide in post/edit?

peace.
    TTF.

• Chase December 21, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

These were shot over the course of a number of days…primarily on two days, with a number of weather days playing havoc on us in between. If you search “diary of a shoot” on the blog, you’ll get the play by play.

regarding the order of shooting, it went pretty much according to shot list, although, since we had specific sorts of light that we needed, we were a bit constrained by time of day, for shot order. So, in short, YES we had a specific priority order of shoots… and some storyboarding going in (with a little flexibility to add some shots as we saw fit…) and with the closing shot and immediately adjacent shots getting the most epic of attention. We also shot on a few diff locations throughout and needed to be very careful of where tracks could/could’t go based on where following shots would happen, etc. It’s all VERY VERY carefully managed.

6. DanielKphoto December 21, 2011 at 11:49 am #

Booyah, a new CJ Raw!! Love it Chase, and the final output is great!

Didn’t the heli have trouble with the snow and cold and all that?

• Chase December 21, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

heli’s of this order are tough, and it did great at the altitude and temperatures. Tabb & Hugh were really careful with battery life. And we lucked out with a zero-wind evening for our final shot.

• DanielKphoto December 26, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

Sounds like a serious thing and I believe Tabb & Hugh have all skills required to fly that badboy. Lucky you! I think that was a quite a blessing :)

7. Mark D. December 21, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

Well done Chase. I saw the spot air before seeing this post and knew it was you behind it. Awesome job at capturing what REI is all about in 30 seconds.

8. jules December 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm #

Awww… such a cute wee helicopter!
    I think the ad would have been better had the skiers been climbing up virgin snow as well as skiing down it.

9. Jack McGsughey December 21, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

What an awesome way to justify getting a radio controlled helicopter. Cool tool.

10. Casey December 21, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

Wow! It’s essentially a drone with a creative streak! Let’s show those @)$*!$ fools in DC that these devices can be used for GOOD stuff rather than bad!

11. Guasch December 22, 2011 at 6:40 am #

That looked extremely fun! Really really really inspiring. Big thanks chase for letting us see the second-by-second breakdown!

12. ken December 22, 2011 at 8:57 am #

That was an electric helicopter?
    I’m impressed. I thought only a gas one would have enough lift for a relatively big DSLR.
    Could you ask them for a breakdown of the helicopter tech sometime? That’d be a pretty cool interview for the gearheads. I’m sure it costs at least $10K w/ the wifi downlink and gimbal ;-)

13. Dave C December 22, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

Fantastic! the behind the scenes is simply, fantastic!

14. John Caetano December 23, 2011 at 6:22 am #

Love that you take the time to share these kinds of these. Great job and thanks.

15. Federico December 26, 2011 at 3:08 am #

Wow…that’s fantastic…

but just a question: what do you use to see what you’re filming? Does it exist a transmitter who will send the image from 5D to a 7″ monitor that you have in your hands??

16. Aerials by Design December 27, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

Can’t wait to get up in a helicopter for some aerial photography. Always used Cessna’s

17. Luke December 28, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

great bts, love the helicopter shots.

Luke

18. Jack December 29, 2011 at 6:02 am #

I really like that helicopter from the first video and I wonder how much it cost to buy one?

19. earl studios January 2, 2012 at 11:34 am #

great stuff….and i’ll be the first to geek out and ask “what did you shoot the bts video with”??? :-)

20. heliflights January 11, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

I have been watching your video and i like this helicopter. And thanks for the update.

21. Michael G January 24, 2012 at 2:10 pm #

What kind of Panasonic camera was that on the Heli rig? Great stuff!

• Michael G January 26, 2012 at 9:09 am #

Nevermind…that as a Panasonic AF100 without the handle.

22. Jeff Davis January 28, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

I was just shocked to find out that unmanned commercial Aerial photography in banned by the FAA. Chase, did you know about this?

-Jeff

• Lloyd January 31, 2012 at 11:46 am #

+1 – how did you get past the FAA thing? or did you just ignore it like most of us do?

23. Annmarie Deblauw March 21, 2012 at 4:08 am #

Mari, I thought that this might be great for your kids

24. Chris August 3, 2012 at 6:22 am #

I’m with Lloyd… can you share the arrangement or details on how you structured paying these guys? Using a UAV for commercial purposes is currently against FAA regulations. How did you guys overcome this. I’m sure you had something planned to say when you went to pull your permits. Care to share?

25. s107g October 28, 2012 at 3:58 am #

Great items from you, man. I have bear in mind your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely magnificent. I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you assert it. You’re making it entertaining and you continue to take care of to stay it wise. I can not wait to learn far more from you. That is really a wonderful website.

26. Kristopher Wagers November 18, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

Thanks a lot for sharing this post. Definitely people will find this as very helpful.

27. Wilber Postemski January 9, 2013 at 5:43 am #

You made a number of clothed points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found mainly inhabitants will consent with your blog.

28. Tara June 21, 2013 at 9:55 am #

I agree with Chris – I’d really love to know how you did this – if you feel comfortable, of course.

29. Ashley Rupprecht June 23, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

not whenever they genuinely dont treatment about our survival which they dont it could be bullshit but when it does occur it will in all probability be somthing similar to this . NO warning whatsoever, thats why all of the important governments on the entire world are already developing underground bunkers which probably want get the job done anyhow

30. freelance writing March 22, 2014 at 3:27 am #

I’ve been browsing online greater than three hours lately, but I by no means discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It is beautiful price sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made just right content as you probably did, the web might be a lot more helpful than ever before.

31. Joseph B. Gatewood April 22, 2014 at 10:07 pm #

It’s actually almost impossible to find well-educated users on this subject, however you appear like you comprehend exactly what you’re revealing! Thanks A Lot
    Joseph B. Gatewood http://www.teenbodybuilding.co

32. Jeff C. Dray April 22, 2014 at 10:08 pm #

It certainly is mostly extremely difficult to find well-qualified men or women on this matter, regrettably you come across as like you comprehend what you’re writing about! Appreciate It
    Jeff C. Dray http://www.redstoneenergygroup.us

33. Curtis N. Hearn April 22, 2014 at 10:11 pm #

It is actually near unattainable to find well-informed women and men on this matter, but you come across as like you know those things you’re preaching about! With Thanks
    Curtis N. Hearn http://www.bassanini.biz

34. cherry master slot machine May 23, 2014 at 10:54 pm #

Wow! It is also fastidious piece of writing regarding JavaScript, I am truly keen of learning JavaScript. thanks admin

35. aerial drones July 13, 2014 at 10:12 pm #

Hi there! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I came to check it out. I’m definitely loving the information. I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Exceptional blog and superb design.

36. Josh Mejia July 14, 2014 at 8:42 am #

Quick question,

I’ve been looking at investing in drones/RC helicopters for aerial videography, but I keep on reading about how the FAA will only allow this method for hobby/recreational use and not for any commercial intent where pay is involved. Did you guys have any issues with the FAA while doing this shoot?

Thanks!

- Josh

37. Cheap archeage power leveling August 21, 2014 at 11:43 am #

Thanks alot : ) for your post. I want to comment that the price of car insurance differs from one scheme to another, simply because there are so many different facets which give rise to the overall cost. As an example, the make and model of the car will have an enormous bearing on the cost. A reliable older family car will have an inexpensive premium when compared to a flashy racecar.

38. tanie ogrodzenie August 27, 2014 at 6:29 am #

you are truly a good webmaster. The site loading velocity is incredible. It sort of feels that you’re doing any distinctive trick. In addition, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve done a magnificent job on this subject!

39. Camilo Concha September 11, 2014 at 12:29 am #

Very good post. I’m going through many of these issues as well..

1. REI Ski & Snowboard TV Commercial, Directed by Chase Jarvis | Tam Nguyen - Sacramento Photographer - December 22, 2011

[...] to post a shot-by-shot breakdown. If you have any specific questions or comments, stop by his blog post to drop a line.Follow me on Facebook, Twitter or Google+ Share this on: Tags: photography, [...]

2. DSLR + helicopter = WIN! - Vancouver's Top Classifieds and Automotive Forum - REVscene.net - December 22, 2011

[...] chase jarvis RAW: Behind-the-scenes RC helicopter camera for REI commercial | Chase Jarvis Blog __________________ flickr FS: OpTech Pro Loop + XL Camera Strap (Black) FS: High back office chair $20 [...]

3. Guest post: Aerial drone photography - when your camera flies without you | Nikon Rumors - April 3, 2012

[...] Chase Jarvis: Flying High In Telluride [...]

4. 5 Tips for Shooting Photos and Film from a Helicopter | Chase Jarvis Blog - August 14, 2012

[...] besides a helicopter (we’ve shot more with R/C helis in recent years – click here and click here to see some of the highlights of these fun toys) sometimes there is simply no substitute for a good [...]

5. 5 Tips for Shooting Photos & Video from a Helicopter | Chase Jarvis | An information resource for Photographic Studio Lighting Kits and Equipment. |  - August 14, 2012